• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
here are some i have bookmarked:

www.blackbirdballard.com
I live 5 minutes away from this store and the new Blue Owl headquarters, and I've yet to visit either. Definitely think a trip there this weekend is in order.

What do you guys think of this for a winter coat?

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-wool-barracuda-jacket~228887_59.html?sku_0=::BLA

It was $120, now $60. Says temp rating of 15-30 degrees F.

OR

I'm thinking of this one (in Black).
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/made-for-all/style/072644
Not really digging either but the first is definitely a better option, style wise. Yes, the second will keep you warm, but that's because as zethren said, it's a sleeping bag. I mean actually, that's what it is, a sleeping bag made into a coat.

Well, on the topic of the blazer... Does anyone know where to get a slim fitting blazer like that? In the "prep-school" style?
Not sure what you mean by "prep-school" but just about everywhere makes slim fitting blazers nowadays.

Unfortunately, to get close to the fit you posted, it's not as easy as just buying a blazer and expecting it to fit the way you want it to. Chances are, you'll need to size down and get it tailored for it to be perfect. I don't know what your price range is, but if you want something cheap, go to your local H&M and try on a few of their blazers. They aren't much in the way of quality, but it's a nice start before you decide whether or not you want to shell out money for nicer garments.

coldvein

Banned
this ...

nipple.jpg

this is a choice piece

Pocks

Bonobos just announced a slim fit line for their button downs.

Still waiting order some pants and a shirt or two from them. Anyone have a referral code I can use? We'll both get $50 off?

zethren

Banned
Having issues getting the picture uploaded, will probably just take a new one.

But here's what I wore to work today:

White Collared Shirt
Red/White/Black plaid tie
Black vest
Gray Corduroy pants
Black Canvas slip ons

(I need some dark gray desert boots.)

I got new respect for Alucrid. If someone walks in when you take a pic of yourself in a public restroom you could look pretty stupid. Pic quality not so nice, indigo APC's look jet black.

Alucrid

Banned
I got new respect for Alucrid. If someone walks in when you take a pic of yourself in a public restroom you could look pretty stupid. Pic quality not so nice, indigo APC's look jet black.

When I walked in and saw a dude with his pants on the floor pissing at a urinal all bets were off.

Can I make a fragrance OT? Would anyone care?
I'd subscribe. The problem is, I don't think people change fragrances that often, so I don't know how active it would be?

This is the reason I never do it. There's a full length mirror in the bathroom at one of the buildings in my school, and I've been tempted to take some photos but it's literally right next to the door. Talk about awkward.

As for the outfit, looks nice. The coat seems to fit nicely.

Yoshiya

Spent the evening angrily bidding up the black CDG sneakers Tres Bien Shop put up on ebay. Clearly whoever is bidding against me is pretty determined given the auction is still five days out. What would they reasonably go for in the end?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Bought a down jacket from Uniqlo when they were $20 off over Black Friday, and I'm quite happy with it, especially since I was able to remove the hood. I never would've known about the store if it weren't for this thread, so thanks guys.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Bought a down jacket from Uniqlo when they were $20 off over Black Friday, and I'm quite happy with it, especially since I was able to remove the hood. I never would've known about the store if it weren't for this thread, so thanks guys.

Hmm, now I'm torn. Do I get the peacoat, or this nice looking jacket you got...

Yeah, so, I'm heavy, pushing 40, and so uncool I still own (and occasionally wear) pants with pleats, but I'm in the market for some new work shoes, and I keep coming back to these.

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/store...054DM&catId=cat90046DM&showDefaultOption=true

I wear mostly dark blues so I figure they'd go well, but is there some unwritten rule against redheads wearing brown shoes I should be aware of? I think I'm just sick of everyone in my field wearing black wingtips or loafers.

bob page

These are so warm and comfy. I wish I would have gotten the XS dark gray one when I saw it in store (all gone now).

Their new heattech scarves are awesome. Picked up this one yesterday and it looks great with my pea coat:

08_072869.jpg

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/made-for-all/item/072869

zethren

Banned
^Love that scarf, man.

Yeah, makes sense. In that case, thoughts? I'd probably go black for color.

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/made-for-all/style/073087

Again, these are just my personal opinions so take them as you will:

Looks great, classic. I would go for another color other than black though. Some kind of mid to darker toned gray would work best, I think. Black isn't as versatile. Navy is the classic pea coat color, but I personally go for charcoal gray because I can use it with just about any outfit I'm wearing.

mac should buy
hah, I saw a the black ones in the louboutin store at caesars this summer... not really my thing. I'm hoping half assedly that I can get the YSL's I've been lusting after in Seattle at the end of the year.

Yeah, so, I'm heavy, pushing 40, and so uncool I still own (and occasionally wear) pants with pleats, but I'm in the market for some new work shoes, and I keep coming back to these.

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/store...054DM&catId=cat90046DM&showDefaultOption=true

I wear mostly dark blues so I figure they'd go well, but is there some unwritten rule against redheads wearing brown shoes I should be aware of? I think I'm just sick of everyone in my field wearing black wingtips or loafers.
they look fine as casual shoes, but when you say that everyone in your field is wearing black wingtips (dress formal) or loafers is it a good idea to take them to work? If that isn't an issue and I'm misunderstanding, go for it. They do seem kind of summery, though, with all the white detailing and beige sole.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
^Love that scarf, man.

Again, these are just my personal opinions so take them as you will:

Looks great, classic. I would go for another color other than black though. Some kind of mid to darker toned gray would work best, I think. Black isn't as versatile. Navy is the classic pea coat color, but I personally go for charcoal gray because I can use it with just about any outfit I'm wearing.

Good call. Final question. Peacoat quoted or the down coat the user above posted? The down one is a bit more informal, which fits some of my outfits better.

zethren

Banned
Good call. Final question. Peacoat quoted or the down coat the user above posted? The down one is a bit more informal, which fits some of my outfits better.

I'm more of a pea coat guy, but a nice parka/trench would look great too. I'm still not sold on the idea of down jackets, I guess I simply have never tried one on. I simply really like the classic style of the pea coat. Also, the pea coat will adhere to your form better and not make you look puffy like the down jacket might. So it's up to you in terms of what you are looking for.

I also feel like the pea coat is more versatile in general than the down jacket posted. I really like versatility in my clothing/jackets, because I can make the most out of everything I own that way.

Also, you can absolutely dress a pea coat down. I wear my pea coat on my casual days all the time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm more of a pea coat guy, but a nice parka/trench would look great too. I'm still not sold on the idea of down jackets, I guess I simply have never tried one on. I simply really like the classic style of the pea coat. Also, the pea coat will adhere to your form better and not make you look puffy like the down jacket might. So it's up to you in terms of what you are looking for.

I also feel like the pea coat is more versatile in general than the down jacket posted. I really like versatility in my clothing/jackets, because I can make the most out of everything I own that way.

Also, you can absolutely dress a pea coat down. I wear my pea coat on my casual days all the time.

Yeah, tough decision. I like that I could potentially wear the down one with a tshirt and ball cap if I'm just running around town (as happens often on weekends) but I like how classy the peacoat looks and how it will compliment work clothes and jeans/polos.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Alucrid

Banned

Don't add more coats to the equation or he won't pick til spring

yeah, comfy as fuck and fits fine without squashing my suit underneath. was a little concerned about how thin the sleeves seemed to be but as long as i have something full sleeved underneath cold shouldn't be a problem

zethren

Banned
Will order tomorrow most likely. :p Just hope the Large is the right size.

Just curious, if you don't mind me asking. Height and Weight? Shirt size (fitted, not loose)?

Just wondering, because with jackets I personally size to whatever my shirt size is. I wear a Men's Medium shirt, and my pea coat is medium. You don't want it too baggy, as these kinds of coats you want to conform to your body. That said, you don't want it too tight. Basically it should create a nice silhouette on your body shape.

Puddles

Banned
Last week I ordered some blue Capels from Aldo.

Yesterday I got a package from Aldo. It contained two pairs of shoes, neither of which were Capels.

I spent 10 minutes on hold trying to reach their Customer Service department before giving up. I'll probably have to email them or something.

Spent the evening angrily bidding up the black CDG sneakers Tres Bien Shop put up on ebay. Clearly whoever is bidding against me is pretty determined given the auction is still five days out. What would they reasonably go for in the end?

Who the fuck bids heavily five days out? Now you've basically guaranteed that this guy will be sitting at his computer refreshing the auction as the timer winds down to zero.

Make one bid, at the absolute maximum you'd be willing to pay, at < 5 seconds before the auction ends.

they look fine as casual shoes, but when you say that everyone in your field is wearing black wingtips (dress formal) or loafers is it a good idea to take them to work? If that isn't an issue and I'm misunderstanding, go for it. They do seem kind of summery, though, with all the white detailing and beige sole.

Well, I didn't really want to ramble, but I shoulda been a bit more clear here. It's an engineering office, we don't have much of a code beyond business casual. There is a range, of course the honchos wear dressier stuff, but I did use the word "everyone," which is an exaggeration. A few folks wear jeans and cargo pants with boots every day, which I certainly wouldn't consider appropriate for business casual, but the fact is the boss has flat out stated to dress more on how much time you're gonna be spending at a construction site vs how much meeting with clients.

Long story short, my best shoes went out with Hurricane Isaac. I've worn this brand's boat shoes for years and liked the look of these, kinda was thinking these might be good double-duty at least when I'm not gonna be required to wear steel toes, and I just sorta felt like something different.

Good call on the sole, although I live in the south, and technically it looks and feels like summer 9 months out of the year here. The input is definitely appreciated.

Gotcha, im in Montana so it's snow slush and mud right now. They're fine for a generally warmer and less obnoxious climate.

Midnights the white toe kinda kills them for me. I like the color though

J.Crew has a 30% off coupon for all items. Very tempted to get the Alden 405s. Down to $360 after discount.

(Some nice Barbour jackets on sale as well).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just curious, if you don't mind me asking. Height and Weight? Shirt size (fitted, not loose)?

Just wondering, because with jackets I personally size to whatever my shirt size is. I wear a Men's Medium shirt, and my pea coat is medium. You don't want it too baggy, as these kinds of coats you want to conform to your body. That said, you don't want it too tight. Basically it should create a nice silhouette on your body shape.

5'11 - 200 or so. I wear mediums in my polos, but larges in other stuff. It's weird. My Banana Republic jacket is a medium and just a tad too tight.

Imm0rt4l

Can anyone recommend any stores or brands for dress shirts that are tapered? I often go for slimfits for this reason, but they still usually could fit better. As a more muscular guy, I find it tough finding dress shirts that don't look like fucking bedsheets on me. I'll probably look to getting alterations more often, but if I could find brands that wouldn't require the hassle then it would be nice.

Can anyone recommend any stores or brands for dress shirts that are tapered? I often go for slimfits for this reason, but they still usually could fit better. As a more muscular guy, I find it tough finding dress shirts that don't look like fucking bedsheets on me. I'll probably look to getting alterations more often, but if I could find brands that wouldn't require the hassle then it would be nice.
What's your price range? Right now one of my favorite, decently priced options are the Nordstrom's Calibrate shirts. They're a Nordstrom's brand, but they come in both slim and trim fits (which is even slimmer than slim), and have very little baggage in back when tucked in, which is what I assume your problem is. Usually retail for $60. Outside of that, Ted Baker is a pretty decent, somewhat affordable option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom