• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
This kid has more fashion sense than me

31384528624932617_1ZQXht07_c.jpg

Re-post for the new page.

GAF, recommend me some shoes that I can order? My size is 13, I am brown with dark hair(black).

I will be wearing this coat with jeans. Need sneakers/shoes to use them for everyday use, walk around the city, there will be snow, I live in the east coast.

wool-blend-coat-black.jpg

Though boots will be better for snow, I like sneakers because they are more comfy..

That's the case for many people. Money is definitely an issue for most people.

Also, luckyboyceo makes this thread very pleasant and really knows how to criticize in a mature, kind manner. I'm sure he knows he's well appreciated here.

Fashion is a passion of mine, as it is of many posters in this thread, but lets remember its all subjective. Everyone but one person can hate a piece of clothing, but if the wearer is happy, that's all that matters. Don't take anything said in this thread to heart.
Thanks man, that's kind of you. I do what I can.

Need help finding a tie. I'm looking for something to go with a navy/white check gingham oxford shirt. It will be paired with dark jeans and probably a greyish cardigan. Would solid blue be too much blue? Or should I go with a blue with white dots to offset the straight lines of the shirt? Also what material would be good? Also looking to get it off of thetiebar.com. Looking for ties sucks...

stealth edit: should I go for skinny tie or regular, I'm a pretty slim dude.
First thing that came to mind was a grey wool tie. Something like this or this (I like the first one better, personally). Honestly, if you buy either of those I guarantee you'll get plenty of use out of them, as they go with just about everything. A dark blue pin-dot tie is also a very good option, and may actually be a better option if you're wearing a grey cardigan.

As for traditional vs. skinny, it's all a matter of preference. I prefer skinny ties (as long as they aren't too skinny), but I own plenty of traditionally cut ties that I wear quite often. If you were to wear a blazer then I'd say pick your tie width based on the size of the lapels (larger lapels = traditional tie, skinnier lapels = skinny tie). That may be non-applicable here but might help for the future.

purg3

slept with Malkin
First thing that came to mind was a grey wool tie. Something like this or this (I like the first one better, personally). Honestly, if you buy either of those I guarantee you'll get plenty of use out of them, as they go with just about everything. A dark blue pin-dot tie is also a very good option, and may actually be a better option if you're wearing a grey cardigan.

As for traditional vs. skinny, it's all a matter of preference. I prefer skinny ties (as long as they aren't too skinny), but I own plenty of traditionally cut ties that I wear quite often. If you were to wear a blazer then I'd say pick your tie width based on the size of the lapels (larger lapels = traditional tie, skinnier lapels = skinny tie). That may be non-applicable here but might help for the future.

Thanks, man. I think I'm going to go with the first one you linked and a navy pin dot tie. Like you said, I could use the gray one with a bunch of other stuff too. Might as well get both since they're pretty cheap anyway.

GAF, recommend me some shoes that I can order? My size is 13, I am brown with dark hair(black).

I will be wearing this coat with jeans. Need sneakers/shoes to use them for everyday use, walk around the city, there will be snow, I live in the east coast.

Though boots will be better for snow, I like sneakers because they are more comfy..

Nike blazer high in white w/ black swoosh.

http://www.sneakerhead.com/nike-bla...5877105.html?gclid=CJPcr6rE-LMCFQmCQgodYWoAkw

You might need a 13.5 these run a bit small.

Must suck for Hedi that Balmain SS 2013 is more a reflection of what Dior Homme would be today than Yve-er, Saint Laurent Paris.

hedi will come good i'm sure of it! just needs a bit of time. and re: wang at balenciaga, i'm not very familiar with his work but from what alucrid posted seems like quite the shift, what was wrong with the nicholas dude they had? was he going to leave anyway?

Nike blazer high in white w/ black swoosh.

http://www.sneakerhead.com/nike-bla...5877105.html?gclid=CJPcr6rE-LMCFQmCQgodYWoAkw

You might need a 13.5 these run a bit small.

Thanks man.

Anymore suggestions before I make a purchase guys? I am kinda in a rush, my current ones have worn out.

kaskade

I'm thinking of getting a pea coat. I have a wool field jacket but I want something a little less bulky and a bit more classy. Uniqlo has one for 80 bucks and I'd like to try one of them. Sadly they are sold out online but I think I can have someone pick me one up from the city.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
beeswax is the most versatile I think

Yeah, those are what I have now.

Going to look at jeans today. What color to get though. Gray? I have 2 darker blue pairs now. Might go for a straight fit as opposed to tapered too since tapered you can only really wear tighter shirts with since the jeans are tighter. Any suggestions on good casual shirts to wear with jeans? I have a ton of plain color tees now that I like.

hah no i know better than that, besides i'd have nowhere to wear it to. also alexander wang has a sale online, 40% with AWFALL12VIP at checkout

There's the pics of this shirt I had previously discussed. Some individuals requested pics, so I'll save you the hassle of actually ordering it yourself. Heres the link again: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-Mens-Co...C_Shirts&var=600064943592&hash=item4609ba79e3
Not bad, actually looks better than I was expecting. With that said, whether or not it will stand the test of time remains to be seen, but for the price you paid and where it came from, I'd expect it to break down relatively soon. Though it sounds like you knew what you were getting into when you ordered it, so that shouldn't exactly be of a shock to you.

This is how I plan on dressing my son, just without the giant designer belt buckle.

ysl-cologne-gingembre.jpg

this cologne is amaaaaziinnnnggg
How much does this differ from the original L'Homme? I have the original but might be in the market for a new cologne sometime soon.

maxxpower

This is a rather weird question but for some reason every pair of jeans I've tried on look and feel weird around the crotch area. I don't know if it's my social anxiety or what the hell, I'm just looking for a pair of jeans that fit me well. I have somewhat skinny legs, so the regular fit jeans look to big on me, but the skinny jeans just feel to weird. I just want a pair of jeans that I can wear with boots.

This is a rather weird question but for some reason every pair of jeans I've tried on look and feel weird around the crotch area. I don't know if it's my social anxiety or what the hell, I'm just looking for a pair of jeans that fit me well. I have somewhat skinny legs, so the regular fit jeans look to big on me, but the skinny jeans just feel to weird. I just want a pair of jeans that I can wear with boots.
You're going to have to be more specific, what do you mean by "weird?" Too skinny? Too lose? Not enough room?

My advice would be to start with a brand like Levi's, try on a couple different cuts like their 511s and 513s until you find something you like. From there you'll know more about what sizes fit you best and if you want to get specific, what measurements you're looking for when purchasing jeans in the future. Keep in mind, most jeans will stretch after some wear (some more than others), so even if they feel tight at first they'll probably become much more breathable.

Picked this up for a party this weekend..

http://i.imgur.com/CcCVH.jpg[/*IMG][/QUOTE]
The suit? Or the entire outfit?

How much does this differ from the original L'Homme? I have the original but might be in the market for a new cologne sometime soon.

i think it's just a more prominent "ginger" smell... it's sweeter, but it's also very light... i had the original l'homme like over a year ago now so i don't quite remember the more distinct differences, but i do enjoy gingembre moreso since it smells more fresh and clean.

I've also used this Burberry one before and it's pretty good.

60885M.jpg

There are so many good options out there you just gotta go to the store and try it out. Sometimes it's best to get a sample and try it for a week because what smells good initially in a store may become obnoxious when you wear it daily.

not too sure exactly what you're looking for here, sounds like you don't want skinnies or regular fit? have you tried levi's 511? i have skinny legs as well and 511's are like not TOO skinny and still tapered to look pretty good with boots...

but a pic to help with your explanation would be appreciated

i think it's just a more prominent "ginger" smell... it's sweeter, but it's also very light... i had the original l'homme like over a year ago now so i don't quite remember the more distinct differences, but i do enjoy gingembre moreso since it smells more fresh and clean.
Good info, thanks man. I'll have to check it out next time I'm browsing the cologne section.

Oh, fuck, you look awesome. Jacket's awesome. Hair is awesome. Right on.

Did I mention the hair is awesome? Son of a bitch.
Thanks dude. The hair is nothing fancy, just a #2 on the sides with some blending and some product. Thanks for the kind words though.

Also, new page, time for some inspiration pictures:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom