• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

zethren

Banned
I wish I had the money to spend on clothes some of you guys do, even that Next Direct site is a little too costly for me, still considering placing an order on a jacket and some boots for winter from there though...

You can actually find amazing deals in stores or online if you look in the right place. I rarely buy much of anything that isn't on sale.

tumblr_mdp5epUHXS1rhcj6lo1_500.png

tumblr_mebgn1rKNx1rhcj6lo1_500.png

strobogo

Banned
So what do I do if I come to this thread to try to get some fashion sense and think almost everything looks awful? That's not a dig at anyone in this thread, but I see this stuff and I think it looks terrible and I can't imagine me wearing any of it, and the stuff that does look good, doesn't really look good on my body type (short and stocky, particularly in the lower body, which makes pants pretty much impossible to fit correctly due to needing really weird measurements). Not fat, not even really overweight at all, just a compact torso and tree trunk legs. I see a whole bunch of stuff in this thread that looks pretty ridiculous, to be honest.

So what am I to do? I mean, if it were up to me I'd be in basketball shorts, flip flops, and zip up hoodies year round. I'd like to be a little more stylish from time to time, though. Most of the stuff in here would look terrible on short dudes who aren't scrawny or any one with any chub on them.

Aegus

With an air of danger :lol

Avoid wearing with shit you don't want to be blue.

I'm probably going to hang on for a while - see what kind of teaching load I will get next year. There will always be sweet jackets around that range, so I ain't fazed if some of these drop off the radar.

I went to the Blue Blue store in Tokyo. Lady there told me to wear everything I dried over my t-shirt. I was sweating like mad and I don't think she was happy for any dye to be coming off.

Got a t-shirt from there. Wore it in Barcelona. Took it off at night and parts of my body was blue :(

putting my stuff up bit by bit, clearing space for new swag. First up is the Gitman x OC ecru cheetah print shirt, size small aka most wanted size. nifty leopard detailing on the inside collar and cuffs:

http://i.imgur.com/X1LES.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9kmZf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gVaqs.jpg

shoulder - 16.5-16.75
pit to pit - 19"
sleeve - 24"
body, not including collar 29"

fairly slim through the sleeve and body, don't bother if you're a 'smedium'.

$60 shipped conus and it's yours.

zethren

Banned
So what do I do if I come to this thread to try to get some fashion sense and think almost everything looks awful? That's not a dig at anyone in this thread, but I see this stuff and I think it looks terrible and I can't imagine me wearing any of it, and the stuff that does look good, doesn't really look good on my body type (short and stocky, particularly in the lower body, which makes pants pretty much impossible to fit correctly due to needing really weird measurements). Not fat, not even really overweight at all, just a compact torso and tree trunk legs. I see a whole bunch of stuff in this thread that looks pretty ridiculous, to be honest.

So what am I to do? I mean, if it were up to me I'd be in basketball shorts, flip flops, and zip up hoodies year round. I'd like to be a little more stylish from time to time, though. Most of the stuff in here would look terrible on short dudes who aren't scrawny or any one with any chub on them.

I in no way have no chub on me. I'm an average build and weight, I'd say. You just have to find what works with your body type.

But if you think most everything in here looks "ridiculous", and would rather be in basketball shorts and flip flops all year round then I don't know if there's much anyone here can do to help you.

If you want to look stylish every now and then just buy a nice pair of shoes, some non-pleated khakis or fitted jeans, a nice button down shirt that conforms to your body (fitted or tailored, to where it isn't baggy around you), and a nice jacket/blazer. Keep your hair groomed and styled well, and trim any facial hair you have to keep it from being unruly.

If you're on the shorter and stocky end, it's probably a good idea to tuck your shirt into your pants and wear a belt. Wear your pants at your actual waist, as well. It will make you look taller. Make sure you don't have a bunch of fabric bunching up down by you shoes. Also, on shoes, don't wear chunky or big shoes as they will only accentuate stocky-ness.

Also, color balance helps to make you look taller and leaner. If you're stockier on your lower half, wear a darker wash jean/pant and a lighter shade as your shirt.

Not too hard, really.

Alucrid

Banned

You can attend my school of sweatpants and sneakers

mltplkxr

Shipping to Canada is $33 :(

Saw similar boots from Sorel, which I would trust more to withstand Canadian winters.
http://www.sorel.com/Men’s-Mad-Boot™-Lace/NM1864,default,pd.html
http://www.sorel.com/Men’s-Mad-Desert™-Shoe/NM1878,default,pd.html

Surprisingly, Ugg has a pretty good boot collection that can fit a "dressier" outfit. I'm trying a pair this winter and they've kept me warm around -15.
http://www.uggaustralia.ca/mens-boots-canada/men-boots,en_CA,sc.html

strobogo

Banned
You can attend my school of sweatpants and sneakers

It's just what I'm comfortable in. I'm aware that it isn't very fashionable. Which is why I browse in here from time to time, until I see stuff I don't believe people really wear. But from time to time, everyone needs to dress up a little.

Alucrid

Banned
It's just what I'm comfortable in. I'm aware that it isn't very fashionable. Which is why I browse in here from time to time, until I see stuff I don't believe people really wear. But from time to time, everyone needs to dress up a little.
No, that's literally what I wore in my last picture. You can be lazy and fashionable at the same time.

Finally got around to checking out that Blackbird store today. Bought a few grooming products. The place was great, they gave me free cookies and beer too which is hard not to like. Still need to email Jay about letting me tour the new Blueowl offices, I'll let you guys know when I do.

On another note, I bought two t-shirts from Banana Republic the other day. Seriously, they have to be the absolute least flattering t-shirts I've ever purchased. I bought them in medium and they fit like extra-large. Definitely sticking with my J. Crew shirts for the long haul. Do NOT recommend.

has anyone tried the heattech stuff from uniqlo? thinking of getting some gloves and socks and wondering if it makes any difference
A couple of guys were talking about these a few pages back. If I remember correctly, they were impressed by the results. Seems like a good move.

He's right. Just wear the most baller ass sweatpants and flip flops possible.
Dropcrotch FTW.

I did get my coat that I ordered from Banana Republic today. I will post some pictures when I open it and try it out so that I can get some impressions from you guys.

Finally got around to checking out that Blackbird store today. Bought a few grooming products. The place was great, they gave me free cookies and beer too which is hard not to like. Still need to email Jay about letting me tour the new Blueowl offices, I'll let you guys know when I do.

On another note, I bought two t-shirts from Banana Republic the other day. Seriously, they have to be the absolute least flattering t-shirts I've ever purchased. I bought them in medium and they fit like extra-large. Definitely sticking with my J. Crew shirts for the long haul. Do NOT recommend.

A couple of guys were talking about these a few pages back. If I remember correctly, they were impressed by the results. Seems like a good move.

Dropcrotch FTW.

J Crew shirts are generally better than Banana Republic for me, but the 2 non-iron slim fit Banana Republic shirts I have are godly. I'm not a non-iron fan, but for those days I'm running late, they are awesome.

Any store that carries Malin + Goetz is great by me.

Alucrid

Banned

Dropcrotch FTW.

should have tried on some rick owens and took pics

zethren

Banned
Yeah I bought a shirt from jos a bank a few weeks back in Medium that fit like an XL. Ridiculous. I took it back and am just sticking to them for tie sales at this point.

J Crew shirts are generally better than Banana Republic for me, but the 2 non-iron slim fit Banana Republic shirts I have are godly. I'm not a non-iron fan, but for those days I'm running late, they are awesome.
Yeah fortunately I bought the shirts primarily for undershirts, so it's not a huge loss. Not a non-iron fan either but those sound interesting.

Any store that carries Malin + Goetz is great by me.
Which of their products would you recommend? Any in particular?

I passed on their eye moisturizer/revitalizer (which is what I was in the market for) and went with Baxter's instead, because I was more familiar with the brand. They did look to have some real quality stuff though.

should have tried on some rick owens and took pics
I didn't even look through their rack. Something about $500 shorts makes me nervous.

Which of their products would you recommend? Any in particular?

I passed on their eye moisturizer/revitalizer (which is what I was in the market for) and went with Baxter's instead, because I was more familiar with the brand. They did look to have some real quality stuff though.

I have that Baxter eye cream. It's a good hydrator. As far as M+G the grapefruit face cleanser, jojoba face scrub, and vitamin e moisturizer are good. I assume their face serum is good too but I don't have first hand knowledge.

I have that Baxter eye cream. It's a good hydrator. As far as M+G the grapefruit face cleanser, jojoba face scrub, and vitamin e moisturizer are good. I assume their face serum is good too but I don't have first hand knowledge.
Cool, thanks for the tips brother. I've been starting to get into more grooming products so I may give some of those a try.

What's everyone's opinion on these? They're in my price range and I liked them at first, but now I'm not so sure.
They're not terrible, but I'm not a fan. I don't like the two-tone color scheme nor do I like the super large/thick sole.

Alright, here is my new coat. Took couple of pics as soon as I got home.

It is pretty thick with a vest inside, so I am sure this will keep me warm for the Montreal weather. I do need to get some scarfs to go with it.

Any impressions?

8243061978_1c2372ec25_z.jpg

8241993737_45960b097e_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom