• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to fit well, no lumps or long sleeves.

I did try it in store, liked it but felt it was a but expensive. I did get an extra 40% off for Black Friday, couldn't resist.

Alright, here is my new coat. Took couple of pics as soon as I got home.

It is pretty thick with a vest inside, so I am sure this will keep me warm for the Montreal weather. I do need to get some scarfs to go with it.

Any impressions?

8243061978_1c2372ec25_z.jpg

8241993737_45960b097e_z.jpg

Quoted for the new page.

Jubs

how often should i be spraying stain/water resistant on my suede and leather shoes? Every time I wear them? Once a week? Every other day?

how often should i be spraying stain/water resistant on my suede and leather shoes? Every time I wear them? Once a week? Every other day?

Not very often at all. Months at a time I'd say.

I only wear suede in good weather conditions, I use the spray just in case accidents happen.

zethren

Banned
Ok so I have two pairs of boots, but I don't like how they look with the jeans I currently have. Basically I want a pair of jeans with a fitting very similar to his. Which jean style should I be looking for?

Levi 511s would probably be the standard recommendation.

Slim fit, but not skinny jeans.

A couple of guys were talking about these a few pages back. If I remember correctly, they were impressed by the results. Seems like a good move.

Thermals are great, socks good, the shirts for layering

cool, might grab some thermals too if my size is available

I have massive, well defined legs, will slim fit fit me?

well definitely avoid skinny, depending on how massive you may have to for straight rather than slim
T0XQJ.jpg

Carbonox

I have massive, well defined legs, will slim fit fit me?

I'm in the same boat and now have to shop for straight cut. Slim no longer fits unless I want to look like I'm wearing a bin bag waist-wise. Even straight cut jeans are difficult to shop for without having to get ones with a large waist size due to my thighs preventing me from pulling them on properly. :lol

Aside from this, does anyone have good recommendations for boots? Casual to smart-casual but not black leather, preferably.

Alucrid

Banned
They were already on sale two weeks ago. Got the side zips for 50% off.

Already took them to the cobbler cause the heel guard was falling off. H&M!

Antagon

I'm in the same boat and now have to shop for straight cut. Slim no longer fits unless I want to look like I'm wearing a bin bag waist-wise. Even straight cut jeans are difficult to shop for without having to get ones with a large waist size due to my thighs preventing me from pulling them on properly. :lol

Aside from this, does anyone have good recommendations for boots? Casual to smart-casual but not black leather, preferably.

Red Wings Beckman / Gentleman Traveler:
09016-beckman-cigar.png

Wolverine 1000 mile:
tumblr_m25igpQ95J1r2ips0o1_500.jpg

They were already on sale two weeks ago. Got the side zips for 50% off.

they just went on sale online here, how are the side zips? can get them for £55 but read it's got next to no grip at all and are slippery to walk in

edit: saw your edit haha that's answered my question

EVOL 100%

Red Wings Beckman / Gentleman Traveler:
09016-beckman-cigar.png

Wolverine 1000 mile:
tumblr_m25igpQ95J1r2ips0o1_500.jpg

Damn those look good. This thread is making me want to get a good pair of boots. Alas, I have no money to spare.

--------

So what shirt and tie color should you wear under a run-of-the-mill gray suit jacket without looking overtly formal/casual?

Black/Gray? Red/Black?

zethren

Banned
Under a gray blazer, a white shirt and black tie is classic. A white shirt and red tie would look nice as well. Or a white shirt and blue tie. You can see how versatile that combo is.

I wouldn't wear red on black.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So what do you guys wear to work if you are in a business casual office? Just khakis and button ups? Polos? Looking for some new ideas to refresh my stuff.

EVOL 100%

Under a gray blazer, a white shirt and black tie is classic. A white shirt and red tie would look nice as well. Or a white shirt and blue tie. You can see how versatile that combo is.

I wouldn't wear red on black.

Oh okay, thanks.

Is there any reason why wearing red ties on black shirts is unwise other than aesthetic reasons though?

fake edit: nvm. It looks a lot more tacky than I thought it would.

So what do you guys wear to work if you are in a business casual office? Just khakis and button ups? Polos? Looking for some new ideas to refresh my stuff.

I too want to mix up my work attire. I don't often have the chance to wear suits to work but I want to class up my day to day look.

zethren

Banned
Oh okay, thanks.

Is there any reason why wearing red ties on black shirts is unwise other than aesthetic reasons though?

fake edit: nvm. It looks a lot more tacky than I thought it would.

Yeah it just looks tacky, and in my opinion is harsh on the eyes. It's a stressful color combination. You want to utilize color to make yourself aesthetically pleasing to look at.

I like a lot of blue and brown with white or gray. That's honestly the majority of what I wear, in many various shades. It's my favorite color set, and I think it's the most classically aesthetic color scheme.

/artist

Yeah it just looks tacky, and in my opinion is harsh on the eyes. It's a stressful color combination. You want to utilize color to make yourself aesthetically pleasing to look at.
agreed. i personally try to have my tie be a darker colour than my shirt and avoid the opposite

zethren

Banned
agreed. i personally try to have my tie be a darker colour than my shirt and avoid the opposite

Typically, I agree with that tie philosophy. However I have a solid white silk tie that I love wearing with my mid tone gray button down. Sometimes I toss a black vest over that as well. So there are always some exceptions to rules, but again yeah I typically try to keep my tie darker than my shirt.

Also, and this might be common knowledge but I'm tossing this nugget out there, it's risky to go pattern on pattern with ties and shirts. It can be done, and I do it on occasion for better or worse, but sometimes it looks pretty bad. It's generally best to go sold tie on pattern shirt or pattern tie on solid shirt, but again there are exceptions.

<3 ties.

In no way can I pull off a sweater. :p

I have mostly polos, with a few newer button-ups. Although I go with polos more because the don't wrinkle easily on my car ride to work, and I dont have to iron all the time.

Try it!

Nice button down and tie under a sweater is amazing.

Orange suit blue tie?

An instance where color theory does nothing to help fashion sense indeed.
Would wear.

I'm not a big fan of any colored tie over a black shirt. I can't tell you how many times I've seen black shirts and hot pink ties from dudes trying to be "stylish." Yuck.

In no way can I pull off a sweater. :p

I have mostly polos, with a few newer button-ups. Although I go with polos more because the don't wrinkle easily on my car ride to work, and I dont have to iron all the time.
You should definitely try it, you'd be surprised. Personally I think there are very few instances that people look good in polos. Sweaters are just a much better option all around.

I'm not a big fan of any colored tie over a black shirt. I can't tell you how many times I've seen black shirts and hot pink ties from dudes trying to be "stylish." Yuck.

You should definitely try it, you'd be surprised. Personally I think there are very few instances that people look good in polos. Sweaters are just a much better option all around.

AAAAC0IryqkAAAAAAUUwXA.jpg

these polos from target were recommended on dappered.com, and are awesome for young desk jockeys like myself, because you don't end up swimming in em. polo untucked, chinos and bucks are typical work attire for me. if it's cooler out i'll wear a shawl cardigan, and if it's cold then i'll dress more businessy than casual. but i like to be comfortable in my cube, and it's basically like wearing a tshirt to the office.

zethren

Banned
So if I want to wear a black dress shirt, no tie?

Depending on the look you're trying to achieve you can wear a white tie.

Otherwise open the top button and no tie I'd say.

But I don't really like straight black button ups. Seems like a clubbing shirt to me and isn't very versatile.

So if I want to wear a black dress shirt, no tie?
I agree with zethren in that a black dress shirt is usually more for nightlife and less for business (no tie, one maybe two buttons undone), but it's definitely still doable. I'd recommend something grey, preferable wool or tweed.

In fact, here's a recent Banana Republic ad campaign that featured a black dress shirt/tie combo that looks pretty good.

Puddles

Banned
I just got back in touch with the tailor that made my suits in Vietnam. It seems they have all my measurements on file, and I can get some shirts made and shipped for about $25/shirt.

The Express shirts I ordered online are all a little tight in the chest, so I'm thinking I'll return them all and put that money into MTM shirts.

My main issue is that my neck is too big for most mediums, but a large is way to baggy in the back and at the bottom where it tucks into the pants.

This bag is pure sex. I know it is on the high end but damn! Apparently, you can squeeze in a 15' laptop in there.

Their store has few other bags for cheaper which happened to be bigger but this is a standout.

I really like that, most camera bags look really tacky to me.

alexander wang named new creative director of balenciaga, also this is awesome http://www.complex.com/style/2012/12/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-alexander-wang
While I'm bummed ghesquire is out, his work is really hit or miss and I'm sure people aren't that grooved into buying $100k rtw dresses made of wierd plastics and fibers, no matter how extravagant the production.

That said, I'd kind of like to see how Wang's steez works with super luxe material and an atelier willing and capable of doing nearly anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom