• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Here's the peacoat. My only reservations about it so far are that the bottom feels a bit loose, and I'm just not sure of the look yet. This kind of coat is also new territory too. Look alright?

(Before you say anything I'm getting a haircut tomorrow).

99575709-D9E0-49F7-A3CF-B8498606DA32.JPG

(Our work bathroom lights are super harsh)

mcQ probably does a lot of $$. It helps too that a lot of mcqueen's crazy expensive stuff is red-carpet friendly, as opposed to balenciaga's weird... stuff. I'm guessing this is why balenciaga edition was started, but must have not taken off very well.

I'm 29 ;_;

well they started using kirsten stewart for better or worse and i'm sure a lot of rappers wear their trainers. ah well what's done is done, i've no clue what to expect from alexander wang so i have to wait and see

I'll never get to that god tier Jeremy Scott is on so my heart will always be empty.

Also, is there any of knowing what jacket this is?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdc57bV5FA1qfn79co1_1280.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.thecorner.com/us/men/jacket_cod41339555lb.html[/url] ?

I doubt the men's line will be altered much, I don't think ghesquire had anything to do with it.

wow it's not even christmas yet and we're dropping s/s into stores. heh.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Any thoughts on the peacoat? Like I said, any smaller and the chest would be too tight, but the bottom of it seems loose. I'm probably just not used to it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
looks fine, sleeves might be a pinch long. it shouldn't be balls tight, it's outerwear.

Thanks. You can kind of see in the second pic how the bottom flairs out a bit, but that might just be because it was right after my 40 minute drive to work.

Any suggestions on some good, not too thick, gloves to get and wear with?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I know I asked this months and months ago, but how do you guys clean your denim?

Do any of you do the thing where you just fill the bath a little bit and let them sit in woolite dark?

washing machine

re: gloves, something leather and lined in cashmere is a good idea. Leather Gloves Online, J crew, etc. I would not recommend getting something ultra cheap.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
re: gloves, something leather and lined in cashmere is a good idea. Leather Gloves Online, J crew, etc. I would not recommend getting something ultra cheap.

Noted. I'll take a look and see what I can find. Don't want to spend a fortune, but some nice driving gloves would be cool.

Any thoughts on the peacoat? Like I said, any smaller and the chest would be too tight, but the bottom of it seems loose. I'm probably just not used to it.

you should check if there's a cross stitch on the lower back of your coat, if it has a vent. you'll need to cut that.

coat looks good, but kind of weird with just a polo underneath. i would wear it with a long sleeve button-up shirt.

zethren

Banned
Long sleeve button up + tie, worn underneath a pea coat is one of my favorite looks.

It's classic, and won't ever go out of style.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
yeah deadly, it's time to put the polos in the dresser. :p

I just can't. I'm not a big "dress up" guy and I find polos way more comfortable at work. I've never been a very "dressy' guy and this is the first job that's even required business casual. I'm much more at home in nice jeans and a t-shirt (which is what I ask you guys about the most) so you can see why even a peacoat was a big step for me. :)

I bought a few button ups and wear them from time to time, but they aren't comfortable and are super wrinkled due to my drive. Polos end up looking better just because of how wrinkled my button ups are by time I get to work. Spend 20 minutes ironing one shirt the night before just to have it look like it came out of the dryer when I get to work. :(

I'll try to wear the ones I have more, I just got to get on it. I always forget to iron at night and grab a polo.

EDIT: No vent on the back either.

zethren

Banned
The button ups get wrinkled underneath your jackets? Your pea coat should go a decent way to keep them looking fine on the way to work.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dude, just stop worrying about wrinkles.

Heh, maybe, but doesn't that just ruin outfits? I see people in nice button-ups, but they are so wrinkled that it makes them look bad. At that point a t-shirt looks better than the shirt they have on that looks like they wadded it up and put it back on.

Maybe I'm just insane. You guys have to understand that I have this issue with what I wear, in my mind nothing ever looks right on me. Something I'm really trying to get over. I always just feel like I'm trying to pull off a look someone else does way better. Basically my whole fashion sense comes from seeing pictures of people with looks I like and trying to replicate, but never doing a very good job at it. I'll get there though. I may be worse than a woman. Especially about my hair. :p

I will say you guys have helped a lot though. I do appreciate it.

if wrinkles bother you wear a sweater. even better :D

I'm going to look into some. I am still very skeptical that I won't look funny in a sweater, but I'll look for some.

Visceir

Never really worn my peacoat with the collar all the way down like that, Deadly. Never liked how it looked like that.

And yea, you need to wear something else underneath that coat, just doesn't look good like that. Even a scarf in an loop knot would improve things, I bet.

As for button-ups...most of mine are made out of fabric that doesn't get wrinkled all too much and will look just fine after I've worn it for a little. Maybe look into getting some shirts made out of better/different fabric if you can't be arsed to iron them.

Edit: You should really style your hair

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Never really worn my peacoat with the collar all the way down like that, Deadly. Never liked how it looked like that.

And yea, you need to wear something else underneath that coat, just doesn't look good like that. Even a scarf in an loop knot would improve things, I bet.

As for button-ups...most of mine are made out of fabric that doesn't get wrinkled all too much and will look just fine after I've worn it for a little. Maybe look into getting some shirts made out of better/different fabric if you can't be arsed to iron them.

Edit: You should really style your hair

Yeah, hair is getting cut tomorrow. Guys on here mentioned to do a stylist last time, it came out alright. I've been using the paste stuff since, but my hair isn't really the cooperative style.

I iron my button ups, they just seem to attract wrinkles. Might look into some non-iron ones to at least have that going for me. Was thinking about a scarf too, but I've literally never wore one.

Yeah, hair is getting cut tomorrow. Guys on here mentioned to do a stylist last time, it came out alright. I've been using the paste stuff since, but my hair isn't really the cooperative style.

I iron my button ups, they just seem to attract wrinkles. Might look into some non-iron ones to at least have that going for me. Was thinking about a scarf too, but I've literally never wore one.

i suggest visiting the men's hair thread, cyclone, for some more in-depth advice about your hair. my advice would be to continue growing out the top (just get it texturized so you keep the length but reduce volume), and go with a 3 on the sides+back, blended up to your top. side parted. something like this, the "ryan gosling" that a lot of guys try to replicate, which pretty much flatters anyone:
Gosling-Haircut.jpg

i love wearing scarves, and i agree they look good under a peacoat. i almost always wear a scarf under mine. a simple euro knot looks good:
12200803.jpg

edit: stop worrying about wrinkles, man. if you work in an industry outside of fashion, no one in your office is going to care. the people you see that look nice but have wrinkles in their button downs don't care either. you'll be fine.

fat pat

Could be a cross post to the denim thread, but that is pretty much dead nowadays.

Picked up these yesterday. Brand called "united" which i hadnt seen before. 12.5 oz selvedge. Same price as N+F, but i think this cut flatters me more. Slimguys are way too wide below the knee, weirdguys are too tight and didnt fit my waist in either size + or -.

Denim is fairly stiff and textured, but has some nice construction. Chain stitching all over, feels better built than the last pair of N+F i had in the same price bracket.

I play hockey so have fairly sizable ass and thighs, and always have trouble finding stuff that fits my ass, and thighs, but isnt huge below the knee and comes back to fit my waist.

PeTd0.jpg

pc5fW.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
i suggest visiting the men's hair thread, cyclone, for some more in-depth advice about your hair. my advice would be to continue growing out the top (just get it texturized so you keep the length but reduce volume), and go with a 3 on the sides+back, blended up to your top. side parted. something like this, the "ryan gosling" that a lot of guys try to replicate, which pretty much flatters anyone:

i love wearing scarves, and i agree they look good under a peacoat. i almost always wear a scarf under mine. a simple euro knot looks good:

edit: stop worrying about wrinkles, man. if you work in an industry outside of fashion, no one in your office is going to care. the people you see that look nice but have wrinkles in their button downs don't care either. you'll be fine.

Hmm, I like the Gosling look, I guess I can see if I can get something like that. I just went with what the stylist thought last time, which was just " short and messy."

Could be a cross post to the denim thread, but that is pretty much dead nowadays.

Picked up these yesterday. Brand called "united" which i hadnt seen before. 12.5 oz selvedge. Same price as N+F, but i think this cut flatters me more. Slimguys are way too wide below the knee, weirdguys are too tight and didnt fit my waist in either size + or -.

Denim is fairly stiff and textured, but has some nice construction. Chain stitching all over, feels better built than the last pair of N+F i had in the same price bracket.

I play hockey so have fairly sizable ass and thighs, and always have trouble finding stuff that fits my ass, and thighs, but isnt huge below the knee and comes back to fit my waist.

Ha, we have the same issue with jeans. I don't play hockey but have bigger thighs, so jeans always feel like spandex when sitting. Based on recommendations here I got the Levis tapered fit, and they work well. Only issue is I feel I have to wear tighter shirts with tighter leg jeans. So I typically just wear them with a plain colored tshirt.

Might look at the brand you found too. Seem good.

MegalonJJ

Banned
@Cosmic Bus

Hey man, I went to the store to see the tailor for my velvet jacket.

It'll be no problem and it'll be ready by next Wednesday :D

Cannot wait!

(I accidentally just posted the above in the Man of Steel thread...lol. Edited now).

bob page

Just a heads up that H&M has 50% off much of their outerwear right now. Pea coats are $50 and fit great for the money.

I found a navy topcoat that's actually quite nice for $75- I'll post some pics later.

I need some help finding jeans

I've never been able to find a pair of jeans that fit me correctly. I'm an athlete, and have a small waist but a big butt and thighs, which makes finding a good pair of jeans a nightmare. I usually end up going relaxed fit, but they get real baggy after my knee and it looks like crap.

What kind of jeans would you guys recommend, and where could I buy them? I'd have to try them on first, so it would have to be from a store.

Thanks guys

So, Lee regular fit jeans were the best fit I could find. Barely.

21 here too, and I don't often get called gay, but I have had people think I'm gay

and I get called a hipster all the time (but I am kind of a hipster)

zethren

Banned
Compared to the rest of this thread, I certainly am (I'm 41). A decent amount of stuff posted in this thread is stuff skewing way too young for me to ever worry about.

rwFfI.jpg

Bam.

How old do you think that guy is? Age doesn't matter, just dress how you feel comfortable and in what you think looks great.

PeTd0.jpg

pc5fW.jpg

I'm interested. Gotta look this brand up.

As far as the age question goes, I'm 23 and a Senior in college, which is where I get the majority of my compliments on my wardrobe from. Yes, I'm considering the hipster and gay comments as compliments.

I know I asked this months and months ago, but how do you guys clean your denim?

Do any of you do the thing where you just fill the bath a little bit and let them sit in woolite dark?
When I wash my jeans, I do the tub + woolite + hang dry method. Works great, though I've heard cold wash in the washing machine is fine too. I'm just nervous about something going wrong so I prefer to do it by hand.

I rarely, if ever, wash my raw denim though (once a year?). They don't actually smell. I'm not sure how that's possible, but they definitely don't. Maybe something that has to do with the heavier material? I don't smoke or anything so I'm sure that certainly helps.

Those look good, Pat. They'll probably break in nicely.

Shiv47

rwFfI.jpg

Bam.

How old do you think that guy is? Age doesn't matter, just dress how you feel comfortable and in what you think looks great.

Oh, I do, I'm old enough to have gotten over my own insecurities regarding such things, for the most part. I didn't start taking my clothing seriously until a couple years ago, mainly because I work in a office with a casual dress code, and never once needed to wear anything business wear, so it was t-shirts and jeans 24/7. I got tired of looking like Permanent Lazy College Student and decided it was far past time to up my game.

Kyaw

PeTd0.jpg

pc5fW.jpg

Very interested in this. Any links?

fat pat

http://unitedstockdrygoods.com/about/

look pretty new in the US. I hadn't heard anything about them before buying them. Theres a 5 page thread on styleforums, a quick review on rawrdenim and that's about it. Found em at a store called Mildeband on Milwauke Ave in Chicago.

Ill take some more pics on the construction and details when i get home if you guys are interested.

Very interested in this. Any links?

http://unitedstockdrygoods.com/ Looks like they sell them at Fred Segal in LA. Maybe I could take a trip.

Regarding age, I'm 22 but could pass for older if I grow any facial hair. Being called gay is a compliment and an insult to me. It's a compliment because a lot of gay guys seem to dress well but on the other hand I'm a very multi-dimensional who likes anything from UFC fights to talking about moisturizers for your skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom