• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct, Midnights
Bppo2.jpg
It does drape a bit better without the liner but practical concerns outweigh that :p

Pics of you yawning in the mall would be appreciated lunchbox

Puddles

Banned
Got my Strands delivered today.

My god, they are beautiful. I took the Ben Shermans out of the box just before returning them in order to do a side by side comparison, and I am fully satisfied with my decision. The Strands are unmistakably superior. The leather looks better, the stitching looks worlds better, and the overall aesthetic is impeccable. I can't say enough about the stitching. It looks incredible. The Shermans, which are good shoes in their own right, might as well have come from Payless in comparison.

Goddamn amazing shoes.

My god, they are beautiful. I took the Ben Shermans out of the box just before returning them in order to do a side by side comparison, and I am fully satisfied with my decision. The Strands are unmistakably superior. The leather looks better, the stitching looks worlds better, and the overall aesthetic is impeccable. I can't say enough about the stitching. It looks incredible. The Shermans, which are good shoes in their own right, might as well have come from Payless in comparison.

Goddamn amazing shoes.
It begins

zero_suit

Goddamn amazing shoes.
Yeah, AE dress shoes are amazing. I never pay that much for shoes, but it's been an excellent investment thus far. They'll last much longer than sub $100 shoes, too.

Puddles

Banned
I got them for about $200 after tax. It was a Cyber Monday deal + coupon on Amazon. I don't think I would have jumped in at $335.

Goddamn amazing shoes.
Congratulations. Now expect to start digging into designer categories in just about everything. Once you start it can't be stopped.

We should start our own youtube series.
I fully support this.

Puddles

Banned
Congratulations. Now expect to start digging into designer categories in just about everything. Once you start it can't be stopped.

As an undergraduate I had no style. I was the guy wearing clothes two sizes too big, rocking socks with sandals, putting together hideous color combinations, etc. I've come so far since then.

I don't think I'll get too deep into high-end clothing. For example, I can't see myself buying a $200 pair of shorts, no matter how amazing they looked. But I am willing to spend somewhat more. The biggest change is that I'm a lot smarter about what I'm buying.

Once I'm out of grad school and I'm earning the big money, I'll probably be rocking $700 jackets like Alucrid.

As an undergraduate I had no style. I was the guy wearing clothes two sizes too big, rocking socks with sandals, putting together hideous color combinations, etc. I've come so far since then.

I don't think I'll get too deep into high-end clothing. For example, I can't see myself buying a $200 pair of shorts, no matter how amazing they looked. But I am willing to spend somewhat more. The biggest change is that I'm a lot smarter about what I'm buying.

Once I'm out of grad school and I'm earning the big money, I'll probably be rocking $700 jackets like Alucrid.
You say this now but don't be surprised if you own those $200 shorts sometime in the next few months.

Speaking of coming so far. How many of you guys would say you have actually gotten more chicks since dressing better?
Definitely me. It may not be solely from dressing better, but it's certainly served as a way of catching a woman's attention. I attribute the confidence I've gained from dressing better as the real reason though.

Puddles

Banned
I've been hitting the gym pretty regularly since September, and combined with my improved style, the effect is that I am a lot more attractive. I've been too busy to actually hit the clubs or the dating scene, but I have been getting a lot more looks from random women. One thing I've noticed is that I've been getting a lot of smiles from girls after incidental eye-contact. On a 1-10 scale, I've probably upgraded from a 5.5 to a 7.9 over the last few months.

Being more attractive to women can only pay off in the long run, especially once I move into my new apartment next month and start testing the dating scene seriously.

I've been hitting the gym pretty regularly since September, and combined with my improved style, the effect is that I am a lot more attractive. I've been too busy to actually hit the clubs or the dating scene, but I have been getting a lot more looks from random women. One thing I've noticed is that I've been getting a lot of smiles from girls after incidental eye-contact. On a 1-10 scale, I've probably upgraded from a 5.5 to a 7.9 over the last few months.

Being more attractive to women can only pay off in the long run, especially once I move into my new apartment next month and start testing the dating scene seriously.

Smile doesn't always mean they're interested though.

Puddles

Banned
Smile doesn't always mean they're interested though.

It's a lot better than a disinterested averting of the eyes. Of course I know that not everyone is interested. I'm just saying that I feel a lot more attractive lately, and there are signs that this might not all be in my head.

I'll be starting from a stronger position than I would have been starting from a few months ago, I'll just put it that way.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I get lots of attention and complements from girls. Zero from guys. Sigh.

I've also become more annoyed knowing that because of my weird hours at work, I literally get to be seen fashionably dressed two or three times a month.

EVOL 100%

I dunno I've been dressing the way I did since I was about 14.

Back then I dressed more garishly and a bit more worse but I was still above the norm. But I never had been very interested in dating and even when girls showed interest I rejected them. I'm weird.

Apeopleman

Good for you man. I honestly feel that fitness should defintitely come before fashion. You should reach a desirable figure first IMO.

Obviously, if you feel overweight, lose weight. If you feel too skinny, bulk just a bit. I'm content with my shape. I am 6 feet. I was an athletic 160 and I have put on 10 pounds of lean-ness. I feel as a toned, but not big, 6 foot tall male is a great figure to have for the male fashionista.

Yoshiya

There's not much for me around here, so fitness/clothing has become another way for me to distract from that oddly enough. I'm 5'9" and now up to around 155-158 pounds, up from 138 or so a few months ago. Pretty happy with how I'm looking generally, not that it's going to do me much good.

Good for you man. I honestly feel that fitness should defintitely come before fashion. You should reach a desirable figure first IMO.

Obviously, if you feel overweight, lose weight. If you feel too skinny, bulk just a bit. I'm content with my shape. I am 6 feet. I was an athletic 160 and I have put on 10 pounds of lean-ness. I feel as a toned, but not big, 6 foot tall male is a great figure to have for the male fashionista.

You can always be thinner, look better.

I've always believed if you don't have the body then the styles just won't look as good. Once you have the physique everything else comes easy.

Apeopleman

You can always be thinner, look better.

I've always believed if you don't have the body then the styles just won't look as good. Once you have the physique everything else comes easy.

Funny you posted that; it's my favorite movie, up, there with Zoolander. Funny how its about fashion.

Exactly. Physique is key. You make the clothes look good, and the clothes make you look good. Synergy.

Also, Alucrid or anyone else, that photo with the 2 jackets you posted, the leather jacket with 4 zippers total in the front, assuming you paid alot for that, any place where I can get one for a fraction of the price that is real leather? I prefer a slim/european fit, size 40 chest/medium if that helps, thanks.

Alucrid

Banned
I get lots of attention and complements from girls. Zero from guys. Sigh.

I've also become more annoyed knowing that because of my weird hours at work, I literally get to be seen fashionably dressed two or three times a month.

Post of gaf, get seen being fashionable, get complimented by guys. :p

Funny you posted that; it's my favorite movie, up, there with Zoolander. Funny how its about fashion.

Exactly. Physique is key. You make the clothes look good, and the clothes make you look good. Synergy.

Also, Alucrid or anyone else, that photo with the 2 jackets you posted, the leather jacket with 4 zippers total in the front, assuming you paid alot for that, any place where I can get one for a fraction of the price that is real leather? I prefer a slim/european fit, size 40 chest/medium if that helps, thanks.

Sorry no idea.

Puddles

Banned
I still need to pick up some cords and buy a watch.

I'm really thinking of getting an Omega Seamaster replica from a "reputable" site. Apparently there are different tiers of replica makers, and if you buy from one of the top ones, you're actually getting a pretty good quality watch.

I picked up some ties on ebay recently. I've found that there are pretty amazing tie deals on that site.

_Isaac

I'm 6' 4", 210 pounds and finding clothes that actually fit is a real fucking chore :(

It's funny as people have often remarked how they'd like my body type.
They really don't.

While my heart isn't breaking for you, I can see how it can be annoying to find the right clothes. I'm always alright searching in the chubby kid aisle.

I still need to pick up some cords and buy a watch.

I'm really thinking of getting an Omega Seamaster replica from a "reputable" site. Apparently there are different tiers of replica makers, and if you buy from one of the top ones, you're actually getting a pretty good quality watch.

I picked up some ties on ebay recently. I've found that there are pretty amazing tie deals on that site.

If you want an Omega get one of those vintage Geneve ones for 150-200 bucks. Otherwise Orient, Citizen, Seiko, and Seagull make good watches for the price.

Zekes!

Speaking of coming so far. How many of you guys would say you have actually gotten more chicks since dressing better?

Not me. It'd probably plays in to that A) people often think I'm gay and B) girls in my area seemingly don't care much about a guy that dresses well. Though female friends say I'm oblivious to the fact that I'm constantly being checked out, so who knows.

I do get mad compliments though about my 'style' from both genders.

Not me. It'd probably plays in to that A) people often think I'm gay and B) girls in my area seemingly don't care much about a guy that dresses well. Though female friends say I'm oblivious to the fact that I'm constantly being checked out, so who knows.

I do get mad compliments though about my 'style' from both genders.

Some girls don't want a guy that dresses better than them. They want a super macho guy.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Is it weird that sometimes my best girlie friend and I swap articles of clothing... I mean, we're the same size (well, except she has knockers) and she has good taste.

Zekes!

Some girls don't want a guy that dresses better than them. They want a super macho guy.

I really only appeal to those hipster girls that like really skinny guys.

Is it weird that sometimes my best girlie friend and I swap articles of clothing... I mean, we're the same size (well, except she has knockers) and she has good taste.

Not if you can rock it. I've been rocking those women's faux leather jeggings I got p hard.

Zekes!

I'll take some pics later if I can. They just look like coated skinny jeans so it's not that exciting.

Stoke that my Wings + Horns Parka should be here tomorrow or Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom