• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiryogi

Banned
Cross posting from the shoe thread.

Alright manshion GAF, and been looking to update my wardrobe! Mainly my kicks, I've been sporting New Balance that were meant for work for all around purposes. But as Ryan Gosling put it in "Crazy, stupid, love", apparently I shouldn't ever be wearing those! Anyway, been looking at this thread and noticed from my siblings too that Vans seem to be the way to go? I'm planning to pick up a pair this week.

Is that guy who only liked to wear sweats still here because damn

http://www.norsestore.com/commodity/14674
http://www.norsestore.com/commodity/14443

You throw in some sneakers and you're set.

Alright manshion GAF, and been looking to update my wardrobe! Mainly my kicks, I've been sporting New Balance that were meant for work for all around purposes. But as Ryan Gosling put it in "Crazy, stupid, love", apparently I shouldn't ever be wearing those! Anyway, been looking at this thread and noticed from my siblings too that Vans seem to be the way to go? I'm planning to pick up a pair this week.

Vans, Converse, Keds, Toms could be a good place to start.

Zekes!

Depends on what kind of shoe you're after. For sneakers, yeah, (hi-top) Converse Chuck Taylor's and lo-top Vans are usually what I wear nowadays. Classic and simple. I also rock Onitsuka Tigers and a couple pairs of Nikes.

Which reminds me I need to pick up a new pair of Nikes.

You can check out Generic Surplus too; the quality of their shoes is shit, but you can find them online for dirt cheap and if you rotate them with a couple other pairs of shoes you can usually make them last a bit.

Dunno, maybe. But this is my favorite is that who I think moment:

n0YBQ.jpg

Helmut Lang , fall 1998 :D

On sneakers, I dig the soloist x Adidas. Predictably grey and simple.

leroidys

I need some advice on Uniqlo sizing before I make an order.

Are they vanity sized? For reference, I buy small shirts at gap and they never look skin tight, but their jackets I have to bump it up to a medium (I'm using gap because that's the most recent place I've bought anything, and sizing changes year to year). I'm 5'11'', 31" inseam. I was looking to get some sweaters and flannels from the Uniqlo store.

Antagon

Ugh, I would kill for a Suitsupply in Seattle. I realize if they ever expand to the westcoast, their first store will more than likely be in Los Angeles, but if it was Seattle I'd definitely be first in line to purchase a suit, maybe even a tux. Those velvet ones look nice.

Looks fine. I wouldn't consider that outfit "flashy" in the slightest. You should be good.

One of the upsides of living in the Netherlands, especially since it's cheaper here and brought prices for other places down as well.

A super 150's cashmere blend made to measure suit for 400 euro's? Yes, please.

Visceir

Any suggestions?

Not really a suggestion, just some input. I started looking for a new bag for my laptop, I think I'd rather have it be a satchel than a messenger bag, something thin and sleek but sturdy, something more professional looking. I quite like this one:

oh and someone here asked about balenciaga; it fits slim but not terribly so, for the most part. the caveat here is that older menswear stuff was INCREDIBLY tiny for the size (old Balenciaga XL = EU48 roughly), much like Slimane's first run at YSL a decade ago. I doubt anything on the internet is from that early balenciaga period but it never hurts to throw that out there if you're buying without measurements.

yeah all yoox have said is that it's large and it's under new arrivals so i don't think it'll be that ancient. i remember trying on a suit and a donkey coat, both in medium, and finding them tight around the shoulders. ordered anyway since they have free returns, let's see how it turns out

Alucrid

Banned
Is that guy who only liked to wear sweats still here because damn

http://www.norsestore.com/commodity/14674
http://www.norsestore.com/commodity/14443

You throw in some sneakers and you're set.

Vans, Converse, Keds, Toms could be a good place to start.

Who, me? I did get those Acne sweats from Mr Porter, pretty damn great.

I need some advice on Uniqlo sizing before I make an order.

Are they vanity sized? For reference, I buy small shirts at gap and they never look skin tight, but their jackets I have to bump it up to a medium (I'm using gap because that's the most recent place I've bought anything, and sizing changes year to year). I'm 5'11'', 31" inseam. I was looking to get some sweaters and flannels from the Uniqlo store.

They have measurements for everything on the site.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Not really a suggestion, just some input. I started looking for a new bag for my laptop, I think I'd rather have it be a satchel than a messenger bag, something thin and sleek but sturdy, something more professional looking. I quite like this one:

Where did you find this bag it looks good

Visceir

It's quite expensive though. I did some looking around and found some 50 - 80$ alternatives, but most of them seemed either too thick/fat or left me thinking they are probably made of rather poor quality.

I'm leaning more towards a sleeve-type thing now for my laptop. I found this on ebay which seems pretty cool (and really affordable):

It has a rather unique letter-like design with the zipper which I quite like, but I'll see if I can perhaps have one made for myself before I order it. I'd make some design changes and I think I'd still like it to be a little more sleek with maybe a handle and a strap for easier carrying.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So this is a bit outside the realm of Manshion but I am going to ask here anyways. I find myself traveling a lot lately on 3-5 day trips (home for holidays, visit friends), what I find myself needing is a nice sized duffle or military style travel bag that has room for outfits and a pair of shoes, along with stuff like bathroom supply and electronics.

Any suggestions on a decent looking, rugged, bag that isn't super pricey?

It's quite expensive though. I did some looking around and found some 50 - 80$ alternatives, but most of them seemed either too thick/fat or left me thinking they are probably made of rather poor quality.

I'm leaning more towards a sleeve-type thing now for my laptop. I found this on ebay which seems pretty cool (and really affordable):

It has a rather unique letter-like design with the zipper which I quite like, but I'll see if I can perhaps have one made for myself before I order it. I'd make some design changes and I think I'd still like it to be a little more sleek with maybe a handle and a strap for easier carrying.
I think the zipper makes it look like a purse

TCRS

Banned
I just bought these:

41GYkyO-ghL._SS424_.jpg

Timberland Earthkeepers. What do I do before I start wearing them? I mean do I treat the leather somehow, apply something on the shoes to keep the leather protected or something?

I bought them on a whim, I was actually looking for another pair of Dockers (after my last one broke).

Visceir

I think the zipper makes it look like a purse

Ehh, I don't really think so but as I'm sure the size and form of it would still make it seem quite masculine. But yea, that was one of the design changes I had in mind, I'd just hide the zipper under the edge of the flap. I'd also want to have thw sides made out of lighter fabric and maybe add additional stitching to the flap. Need to first find out if I can have one made in first place.

Ended up buying a military Range Field Bag.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AJ06U0/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Should work for my trips.

Tomorrow is our company "open house" for the holidays, so I'll rock the button up finally. There shall be pics.

Not that bags matter all that much and it's kinda late now but I would have probably much rather taken any random holdall bag from asos instead of some huge ass military bag. I'm sure yours is much more practical though.

Zekes!

Ehh, I don't really think so but as I'm sure the size and form of it would still make it seem quite masculine. But yea, that was one of the design changes I had in mind, I'd just hide the zipper under the edge of the flap. I'd also want to have thw sides made out of lighter fabric and maybe add additional stitching to the flap. Need to first find out if I can have one made in first place.

I agree that it definitely looks feminine, but I don't see it as a bad thing

So this is a bit outside the realm of Manshion but I am going to ask here anyways. I find myself traveling a lot lately on 3-5 day trips (home for holidays, visit friends), what I find myself needing is a nice sized duffle or military style travel bag that has room for outfits and a pair of shoes, along with stuff like bathroom supply and electronics.

I like Filson stuff, but it might be a little pricey. However, it's Union-made in the USA and high quality.

I dig those laptop sleeves. I don't think they look too purse-like. They might in the picture, but I bet in real life they wouldn't. For what it's worth, if I had a laptop I'd definitely get something like that.

Might be irrelevant now that you've already purchased a bag, but I was a big fan of the Everlane Weekenders that came out awhile ago. Someone in this thread bought one and was pretty happy from what I remember. I'm going to buy one whenever I get around to actually needing one.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not that bags matter all that much and it's kinda late now but I would have probably much rather taken any random holdall bag from asos instead of some huge ass military bag. I'm sure yours is much more practical though.

Well, for what I'll be using it for a huge ass military bag will probably work better. :p

I need it for traveling for holidays and random trips. I have a Timbuk2 messenger, but it's too small for a 4 day trip.

Anybody know about the fit on Uniqlo dress shirts? Slim fitting like H&M? Also, what's up with their online store? If I click a shirt it says XS, or S, yet I can still choose the size (15, 15.5). Is there any significance in the letter size?

Does anyone know any good 5 panel caps? I kinda want to get one, but all the ones I try have kinda wide brims and it looks strange on my head

Supreme, Huf & I've seen a few Obey ones.

I personally own two from Supreme: navy wool & red croc print.

They look like this:
Adjustable-Box-Logo-Camp-Five-Panel-Supreme-Navy-Hat99458.jpg

supremenewyork-croc-camp-cap-red-2.jpg

Haven't worn my red one yet, but I wear the navy one like a regular cap really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom