• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

zethren

Banned
If I could magically add to that ensemble, I'd throw ass busting jeans and cheetah print high heeled boots into it.

But alas, I was wearing brown cords and palladiums.

tumblr_mekdf9n45v1rkuk76o1_500.jpg

The neckerchief is coming.

Speaking of coming so far. How many of you guys would say you have actually gotten more chicks since dressing better?

I have. Over the past couple years I've progressed from being proud of my new Halo shirt, to maybe seeing what the Gap has, to hitting the gym and dropping hundreds of dollars on high-end threads. I think that once you realize you have the capability to look great, you don't want to go back to not caring.

I got invited to a New Years Party.

This one, actually: http://nye-chicago.com/

The dress code says formal attire. In my mind, that says suit. But there's no way I'm wearing a suit to a new years party. Besides, the pictures on the site show guys in button ups. Now, I'm a bit confused. I'm not about to travel across the country and be rejected at the door. Can anyone hel me out with ideas for formal attire that might be a step above a button up, but not a full on suit? Will anyone give me advice on what to wear?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Have oversized shirts ever worked?

The answer is no.

The answer is actually yes.

Interesting that you'd even consider his sweater as oversized; that style of knit accentuates every single curve and bump of your body and would look and feel quite awkward if it were form-fitting. The length is correct, the sleeves are not too long, and the body has just the right amount of room.

Pink wouldn't have been my first choice, but he's rocking that entire outfit pretty hard.

zethren

Banned
this. worse case is you take your jacket off if it's a bit much

Exactly.

Wear a classy 3-piece suit. That way you can take off the jacket but still look rockin' with a vest.

Make sure you wear nice shoes too. None of this sneakers and suit mumbo jumbo that some people try to pull off.

okay the thing is I only own one suit, and left it at my apartment at school while I'm home for the break. I'm not going to buy another one for this, so is there anything else you would suggest wearing? Vests, button up, blazer, etc?

Antagon

Formal attire is white tie. Go for the full penguin!

They need to make the dress code more obvious on that flier.

Got a Sicilian mafia themed black tie party the upcoming weekend. Going in tux, obviously. Already got a white silk scarf and should get a red pocket square this week. Thinking about getting either a violin case or a toy horse head in a garbage bag as the last accessory. Any other ideas?

Zekes!

The answer is actually yes.

Interesting that you'd even consider his sweater as oversized; that style of knit accentuates every single curve and bump of your body and would look and feel quite awkward if it were form-fitting. The length is correct, the sleeves are not too long, and the body has just the right amount of room.

Pink wouldn't have been my first choice, but he's rocking that entire outfit pretty hard.

pink would be my first choice for sure

mltplkxr

The dress code says formal attire. In my mind, that says suit. But there's no way I'm wearing a suit to a new years party. Besides, the pictures on the site show guys in button ups. Now, I'm a bit confused. I'm not about to travel across the country and be rejected at the door. Can anyone hel me out with ideas for formal attire that might be a step above a button up, but not a full on suit? Will anyone give me advice on what to wear?

Everything on that site points says they are going for a classy vibe, so a suit doesn't seem out of place.
There's a guy booked as DJ Krush who is not the real DJ Krush. Wow.

Ehhhhh, never been a fan of Sperrys at all. There are plenty of fantastic Chukka options out there nowadays, unless you're really into the Sperry style, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

Thanks, but actually I've never bought a blazer. Who sells good ones, who sells cheap ones? Or sportcoarts?
Might be out of your price range, but Nordstrom's is starting one of their two men's sales a year on the 26th. Might be worth a look.

i agree w/ cosmic, pink sweater dude is ballin. im taking notes.
Pretty sure I've seen that guy on Cap Hill. Not actually him, but it was probably his brother or something. Same exact outfit.

Might be out of your price range, but Nordstrom's is starting one of their two men's sales a year on the 26th. Might be worth a look.

Thanks. you seem to be the head honcho in this thread.

There's a guy booked as DJ Krush who is not the real DJ Krush. Wow.

Embarrassing, but in the end all that matters is who you're with.

Earlier in this thread a member posted a watch from Jack Threads. I looked at some of theri watches, some are marked down over 80%, some claim to have real gold and diamonds. What is the general consensus on those? I like the look of many of them, but don't want to end up wearing the equivalent of puma's.

FYI levi.com is having a 40% off total purchase + free shipping sale for the next 9 hours (11:59 PST). good chance to come up on some new jeans/pants. no minimum either.

Rookje

tumblr_me9oj8o9nt1r7moa7o1_500.jpg

http://us.suitsupply.com/tuxedoseason/tuxedo-season,en_US,pg.html

Fou-Lu

7812.jpg

Just bought a jacket similar to this, (Only major difference is mine is a lighter brown) not sure if I should've, but I think it looks good, and it was like 50% off. Really god damn warm.

There was a north face jacket similar to that one that was so incredibly warm I nearly bought it on the spot, and it was 70 degrees in fall in the South (USA).

Anybody got a good place to buy fitted white dress shirts? or maybe a brand that they find to fit well in dept stores?

Guys, I need your help. I'm trying to put together an outfit, but am unshure if it is too flashy or not.

8262335853_4dd4a9bc31.jpg

8262335799_64c74456aa.jpg

(I actually already have the jeans, which are slightly lighter then this)

8262335899_d5f5ff16fa.jpg

What do you think?

looks pretty simple and clean to me; you can probably wait for the mj's to hit discount if they haven't already.

oh and someone here asked about balenciaga; it fits slim but not terribly so, for the most part. the caveat here is that older menswear stuff was INCREDIBLY tiny for the size (old Balenciaga XL = EU48 roughly), much like Slimane's first run at YSL a decade ago. I doubt anything on the internet is from that early balenciaga period but it never hurts to throw that out there if you're buying without measurements.

Ugh, I would kill for a Suitsupply in Seattle. I realize if they ever expand to the westcoast, their first store will more than likely be in Los Angeles, but if it was Seattle I'd definitely be first in line to purchase a suit, maybe even a tux. Those velvet ones look nice.

Guys, I need your help. I'm trying to put together an outfit, but am unshure if it is too flashy or not.

What do you think?
Looks fine. I wouldn't consider that outfit "flashy" in the slightest. You should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom