• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob page

Enron said:
That's not formal. Not even close, lol. Formal is showing up in a suit or a tux or something. Tucked in shirt, nice shoes is merely the cleaner end of casual.

This is pretty much how I showed up to class my first few years of college (i had a job that required business casual dress right after class)
Pretty much. As I always tell people, if you want to be treated like an adult, you should dress like it.

I just ordered these suede wingtips. Not sure if the distressing will be too much but I guess we'll see when they arrive:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/p-16794968-001.shtml

Gents, I have a nice pair of brown leather dress shoes that have a pre-worn patina that makes it go from dark brown to lighter brown in places. I'd like to keep that going. I've worn the shoes for a year or so on and off and I'd like to keep that look going. I've heard that using black shoe polish on brown shoes every once in a while will keep this going and prevent the shoes from getting a lighter patina over time due to natural wear. Any thoughts here?

Boken

Banned
bob page said:
I just ordered these suede wingtips. Not sure if the distressing will be too much but I guess we'll see when they arrive:

Not a fan.

I think the distressing ruins the details of the broguing and clashes with the elegance of a smart casual shoe such as the wingtip.

Maybe it does look better in person (photography lights aren't natural!) but if they are as the photo, I wouldn't do it.

I have a story, GAF. So a few weeks back I was in Myrtle Beach for vacation. I decided to check out the Orvis store there due to the fact that we don't have one in Toronto. So, I go in, initialy looking for a Barbour or something, when I find this sick gray quilted flannel jacket, hanging with some of the Barbours. I copped. I went on the website today to check it out and I see this. ...It was a woman's jacket all along! Fuck that noise though; it still fits damn well.

Alucrid

Banned
latinlikeaviolin said:
I have a story, GAF. So a few weeks back I was in Myrtle Beach for vacation. I decided to check out the Orvis store there due to the fact that we don't have one in Toronto. So, I go in, initialy looking for a Barbour or something, when I find this sick gray quilted flannel jacket, hanging with some of the Barbours. I copped. I went on the website today to check it out and I see this. ...It was a woman's jacket all along! Fuck that noise though; it still fits damn well.
We've all been there.

I have a rollneck sweater that was supposedly a size 46 EU mens. It was, the only problem is that it was a women's 46. Coincidentally, that ends up being the same size. I removed the tag evidence and carried on.

edit: The only time that is a problem is with outwear which closes in the opposite direction. Subtle, but some people WILL notice :p

macuser1of5 said:
I have a rollneck sweater that was supposedly a size 46 EU mens. It was, the only problem is that it was a women's 46. Coincidentally, that ends up being the same size. I removed the tag evidence and carried on.

edit: The only time that is a problem is with outwear which closes in the opposite direction. Subtle, but some people WILL notice :p

I will just say it's reversible or something ahahahah. But I don't really care

bob page

RJNavarrete said:
They def look over distressed. Not my cup of tea, but hey maybe they'll look great in person (though I have my doubts).
According to the reviews, the distressing can be washed off easily (I guess it's just a powder or something). If they end up sucking, I can just return them. I didn't pay full price, luckily (got 50% off).

I'm still on the hunt for some brown suede wingtips, though. I was going to get those ones from Nordstrom but all we have here is Nordstrom Rack.

v0yce

bob page said:
Pretty much. As I always tell people, if you want to be treated like an adult, you should dress like it.

I don't think the distressing is too bad from the pics. I think those would look solid with some jeans matched with a whole worn but not sloppy appearance.

bob page

v0yce said:
I don't think the distressing is too bad from the pics. I think those would look solid with some jeans matched with a whole worn but not sloppy appearance.
Here's another pic:
sooso.jpg

I'll probably try to wash the gray powdering off and see how it looks. I was planning on using these for more casual purposes (jeans).

Doytch

No way, is that the same? The UO link has distressing on the sole and heel (wtf?) and is getting torn where the broguing meets the sole on the side shot.

That shot you posted is way better.

Alucrid

Banned
Eh. not a a huge fan of the rough cut wingtip. I always think wingtips should like pristine or something

rwt2.jpg

I'm curious to see how long they last though.

bob page

Doytch said:
No way, is that the same? The UO link has distressing on the sole and heel (wtf?) and is getting torn where the broguing meets the sole on the side shot.

That shot you posted is way better.
I didn't order from UO (I did from the site that had the latter shot), but it's supposedly the same shoe. I think the UO pics just might be garbage w/ overexposed lighting or something.

Alucrid said:
Eh. not a a huge fan of the rough cut wingtip. I always think wingtips should like pristine or something

rwt2.jpg

I'm curious to see how long they last though.
I love fancier wingtips, too, but I was looking for something that could possibly fit both casual and business-casual.

Doytch

Alucrid said:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/rwt2.jpg[IMG]

I'm curious to see how long they last though.[/QUOTE]
Hah, interesting. I like the opposite: just a little scuffed, hopefully by the wearer. Leave the pristine to the cap toes and plain oxfords! Also, I think black and grey are totally underrated for wingtips, love my black dip-dyed Paul Smiths. They slay at night with dark jeans.

Alucrid

Banned
Doytch said:
Hah, interesting. I like the opposite: just a little scuffed, hopefully by the wearer. Leave the pristine to the cap toes and plain oxfords! Also, I think black and grey are totally underrated for wingtips, love my black dip-dyed Paul Smiths. They slay at night with dark jeans.

That's why I have my Iron Ranger work boots for when I want to be a MAN and wear scuffed up dirty boots and what not.

Doytch

Alucrid said:
That's why I have my Iron Ranger work boots for when I want to be a MAN and wear scuffed up dirty boots and what not.
lol.gif

Miss my boots. Left them in Toronto along with other heavy-winter stuff when I moved to Carolina. =(

latinlikeaviolin said:

lol it happens to the best of us. just rock it proudly.

not trying to be a dick, but shouldnt the buttons being on the other side been a tip-off that it was a woman's jacket though? or were you too stoked for that to even cross your mind (this has happened to me with other products).

Alucrid

Banned
kevo_huevo said:
lol it happens to the best of us. just rock it proudly.

not trying to be a dick, but shouldnt the buttons being on the other side been a tip-off that it was a woman's jacket though? or were you too stoked for that to even cross your mind (this has happened to me with other products).

Now that I think about it, I probably couldn't even button that shit up.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
macuser1of5 said:
Yep and the first time you do it by accident your hands will fumble like no other. It feels incredibly strange.

I've got a couple of Faconnable shirts (yes, they're mens!) that button the opposite way. It's weird and threw me off at first, but whatev.

Pretty sure I could make a sweater nearly identical to that Marc Jacobs one with $15 in art supplies.

kaskade

macuser1of5 said:
Looks well-proportioned but please do not ever use that hoodie abomination. Hopefully it can be exorcised from the jacket entirely.
I don't know, I was planning on putting it up over my fitted.

Yeah it can be taken off

macuser1of5 said:
Yep and the first time you do it by accident your hands will fumble like no other. It feels incredibly strange.

The thing is it was one of those metallic buttons where you just put one peice over the other and push down. I didn't really notice it then because it feels like I'm pushing the right cover thingy first, but I definitely would have if there were button holes

noire

Unconfirmed Member
wenis said:
went to Nordstrom and tried them on....loved em, so I bought em :)

DkV2kl.jpg

Thanks you guys, for the help! Although I'd wish it stop raining already so I could wear them out. Also, what's the best way to store these? Should I keep them wrapped up in the box when I'm not wearing them or out in the open?

Speaking of water damage, is there something that will help protect against that? or am I doomed to just wait for nicer weather?
Shoe brother!

Quickly became my favorite shoes. Look good with just about everything and super comfortable.

Shoe trees to help them keep their shape and suede protector to help them from getting damaged from water.

Eric WK

Gila said:
Wow I never knew how much good shoes will complete an outfit

Yup, one of my short term fashion goals is to accumulate a nice variety of quality boots and shoes. All too often I feel like I've put something nice together only to get to my feet and not be able to tie it all in.

In other news, I wasn't really looking to buy a jacket today while I was out shopping but the friend I was with knows I've been kind of looking for a leather jacket and spotted this at Urban Outfitters: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urba...tion=jump&color=001&selectedProductSize=false

So fucking awesome. Fits a little more slim on me than it does the model, but I'm in love. Almost want to buy the brown one too.

Getting a compliment on it from the out-of-my-league girl at the register didn't hurt either.

Desi

doesn't matter as long as you get that tiger/digi camo print under. I would go dark gray simply because H&M has light gray varsities.

I want more Rachel Comey's. those leopard ones and the black leather with the blue sole.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
noire said:
Shoe brother!

Quickly became my favorite shoes. Look good with just about everything and super comfortable.

Shoe trees to help them keep their shape and suede protector to help them from getting damaged from water.

What color jeans do you normally wear them with?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Levi's 514s are some wicked jeans. Just got a pair in Tumbled Rigid that are gonna be fantastic once they're lived in. Snuggest pair of jeans I've had, but it's a great fit.

So stoked for these shoes to arrive Monday,

Got them almost $40 off during their sale earlier this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom