• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for the best White dress shirt. You know the one every man needs. But does anyone sell nice fitted ones? Can't seem to come across one that doesn't look like a gown
Are you skinny (36"~ chest)? I have some tiny ass white ck collection shirts I can unload for cheap.

Otherwise, the further up the market you go the better things tend to be cut. Italian labels like borelli and finamore Napoli make great traditionally designed slim shirts, and for something modern consider Hugo boss etc.

Thanks for the offer macuser but I have more of an athletic build. Seems you know your stuff; I hadn't heard of them before but I'll check out the brands you mentioned.

haha i'm just pimping them cuz they are taking space in my closet and annoying my wife in the process; nice shirts though. borelli and finamore are pretty pricey but they are excellently made and have those nice chunky mother of pearl buttons. I think Calvin Klein has some slim fit stuff you can get at macy's, they're around $60 or so. Not as nice as some of the other options out there but not fit is more important than much else.

If you have a really steep drop (like 44" chest and 30" waist" etc) not much is going to fit you perfectly off the rack. They usually top out at 10" drop or so.

We got ideas but no actions.
Can't make OT2 till like 20K posts, right? Otherwise I'd be all over it. Clearly we just need to post more... like 8K more.

Speaking of which the above jacket is dope. Also, I don't buy you not being able to come out for PAX next year. Put that Comme de Garcons money towards a plane ticket to Seattle and come hang out with me, mac and the rest of the Manshion crew next September.

Believe me that would be a pretty amazing sight but we're talking about like a 4 hour plane ride, a PAX ticket, and I gotta get a hotel room all for like a 2 day stay. Not to mention I'll probably be in school in September.

Now if you could get Alucrid to go all the way from Philly that would be something.

giga

New slip-ons I got for the office.

LTul+

Alucrid

Banned
Believe me that would be a pretty amazing sight but we're talking about like a 4 hour plane ride, a PAX ticket, and I gotta get a hotel room all for like a 2 day stay. Not to mention I'll probably be in school in September.

Now if you could get Alucrid to go all the way from Philly that would be something.

I don't like video games that much

TTTR

Got lucky and snapped some lanvin sneakers at 50% off.
Good fit and comfortable too.

XYy24.jpg

t1grw.jpg

And got some business items as well.
Shirt took around 6 weeks.

cTnag.jpg

tHbTO.jpg

And i like the idea of a gaf lookbook/WAYWT thread!

What do you guys think of these boots

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=90650&vid=1&pid=416150002

Also, where do y'all buy dress shirts from. There are some Korean (?) retailers on Amazon (doublju and TheLees) that have pretty good styles but when i bought them, they were way too small even though i ordered 2 sizes bigger than i usually wear and the quality was cheap as fuck. There has to be a middle ground between that and Banana Repub.

We'll revisit this conversation in the summer.

I'm not a big gamer myself anymore but I dig taking in the scene of it all. Oh and open bar all weekend is hard to beat.

Got lucky and snapped some lanvin sneakers at 50% off.
Good fit and comfortable too.

And got some business items as well.
Shirt took around 6 weeks.

cTnag.jpg

And i like the idea of a gaf lookbook/WAYWT thread!
I think you're the first to actually post Tom Ford anything in this thread. Congratulations.

Nice pickups too. Mac is going to love those sneakers.

What do you guys think of these boots

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=90650&vid=1&pid=416150002

Also, where do y'all buy dress shirts from. There are some Korean (?) retailers on Amazon (doublju and TheLees) that have pretty good styles but when i bought them, they were way too small even though i ordered 2 sizes bigger than i usually wear and the quality was cheap as fuck. There has to be a middle ground between that and Banana Repub.
Those boots don't really do anything for me. They're definitely not bad, I've just never been a big Chelsea boot fan. I don't know much about Banana Republic footwear quality either.

Just as a rule of thumb, I'd be wary about any of those Korean retailers. You can pretty much guarantee your products will be terrible quality and/or counterfeit. I believe J. Crew is generally around the same price range as Banana Republic, have you looked there? Otherwise maybe try looking at a Macy's or Nordstrom? Both have options in all price ranges. At the very least, go there and try some things on, write down the product and size and look for it cheaper online.

Those boots don't really do anything for me. They're definitely not bad, I've just never been a big Chelsea boot fan. I don't know much about Banana Republic footwear quality either.

Just as a rule of thumb, I'd be wary about any of those Korean retailers. You can pretty much guarantee your products will be terrible quality and/or counterfeit. I believe J. Crew is generally around the same price range as Banana Republic, have you looked there? Otherwise maybe try looking at a Macy's or Nordstrom? Both have options in all price ranges. At the very least, go there and try some things on, write down the product and size and look for it cheaper online.

Thanks for the input. I bought a sick zip up vest waistcoat from Doublju on Amazon that was extremely tiny. Would have looked really good though. I'll go to a few stores next weekend i think

Lkr

They look a little too big imo. And they make you look kinda fat.

i actually agree with this, but i'm expecting it to shrink a bit when washing it. i'm hoping the thickness was due in part to the fact i was wearing a bit of a thicker shirt than i'd normally wear with it(only thing i had on with me though when trying the hoodie on lol). thanks for the feedback though, i should probably try it on with a different shit before cutting the tags off.

fwiw i probably still look fat in the area even with just a shirt on. i'm still working on losing weight, i have lost 10 pounds in the past year however :)

hey gaf, just wondering what you think about this:

i should probably crop my head out since i suck at taking camera shots. anyway, do these outfits look okay? i know some people don't like hoodies, but i'm only 19 and it is for school and shit(it doesn't get very cold in florida)
Way too big. What size are they? If they're an XL you should probably be wearing a L.

Absolutely nothing wrong with hoodies, but they shouldn't be hitting much lower than an inch or two below your belt line. Just something to think about as you go forward. Also, great work on your weight loss. Buy a size down for motivation.

Alucrid

Banned
i actually agree with this, but i'm expecting it to shrink a bit when washing it. i'm hoping the thickness was due in part to the fact i was wearing a bit of a thicker shirt than i'd normally wear with it(only thing i had on with me though when trying the hoodie on lol). thanks for the feedback though, i should probably try it on with a different shit before cutting the tags off.

fwiw i probably still look fat in the area even with just a shirt on. i'm still working on losing weight, i have lost 10 pounds in the past year however :)

Good stuff on the weight loss. But they do seem a bit too long and give you, as others have said, an unflattering pear shape.

+1 to patent toe lanvins

Those look nice, dude. I gotta improve my shoe game. It's been lackluster lately.

Yeah, that's what I set out to do this year too. Still think I could use grey reverse calf combat boots and some non-white sneakers.

Lkr

Good stuff on the weight loss. But they do seem a bit too long and give you, as others have said, an unflattering pear shape.

+1 to patent toe lanvins

Yeah, that's what I set out to do this year too. Still think I could use grey reverse calf combat boots and some non-white sneakers.

Way too big. What size are they? If they're an XL you should probably be wearing a L.

Absolutely nothing wrong with hoodies, but they shouldn't be hitting much lower than an inch or two below your belt line. Just something to think about as you go forward. Also, great work on your weight loss. Buy a size down for motivation.

my problem seems to be is that it is either really tight on the body but good length, or too long but roomy enough on the body. i did go with XL over L though, good call on that lol. i might wash one of them just to see how much it shrinks up.

I would just focus on the weight loss before committing to clothes. It's one of the toughest parts of losing weight because in the middle of it you got baggy clothes you used to wear and tighter clothes you wanna wear in the future.

Lkr

I would just focus on the weight loss before committing to clothes. It's one of the toughest parts of losing weight because in the middle of it you got baggy clothes you used to wear and tighter clothes you wanna wear in the future.

i got them on sale for $17 each, so i'm not going to feel awful when they no longer fit and i give them away.

I'm not a fan of shoes. I've never found a pair I could comfortably wear and not either look or feel like a dick. I'm 5' 10" with size 12(UK) feet and so any time I wear shoes, it looks like I'm wearing my dad's.

I love trainers though and find that the level of grip and comfort that come with certain sneaks is perfection. Also having flat feet, it means that a lot of brands are unwearable because of the ridiculous instep and so I end up finding myself buying pair after pair of the same sneaks in different colours.

I often wear them with suits and at formal events and nobody seems to care as long as they're not a haggard old pair of beaters and they're actually clean, smart looking and appropriate. A pair of discreet black low tops even gets me into clubs with a strict "no trainers" policy if I say the right things (that's if they even notice).

So far, I've got about 12 pairs of the same shoe and as long as they're rotated properly and given a clean every couple of weeks, they remain in great condition.

RJ9pz.jpg

These get a lot of comments when they come out of the box for the christmas period. I understand why some people don't like sneaks and that some people tend to think of them as juvenile and garish but why wouldn't I want my feet to be as comfortable as they possibly can be? I walk on them all day after all. Plus I've had pairs of these that I've worn for nigh on every day for 4 years and they still managed to not fall apart. That sounds like a winning formula to me!

So here lies the question... Is there anything other than thick socks and insoles that can make a pair of dress shoes more comfortable or are there any brands that cater to people with flat feet that aren't ludicrously expensive and will manage to hide the fact that I actually have surfboards for feet?

I'm not a fan of shoes. I've never found a pair I could comfortably wear and not either look or feel like a dick. I'm 5' 10" with size 12(UK) feet and so any time I wear shoes, it looks like I'm wearing my dad's.

I love trainers though and find that the level of grip and comfort that come with certain sneaks is perfection. Also having flat feet, it means that a lot of brands are unwearable because of the ridiculous instep and so I end up finding myself buying pair after pair of the same sneaks in different colours.

I often wear them with suits and at formal events and nobody seems to care as long as they're not a haggard old pair of beaters and they're actually clean, smart looking and appropriate. A pair of discreet black low tops even gets me into clubs with a strict "no trainers" policy if I say the right things (that's if they even notice).

So far, I've got about 12 pairs of the same shoe and as long as they're rotated properly and given a clean every couple of weeks, they remain in great condition.

RJ9pz.jpg

These get a lot of comments when they come out of the box for the christmas period. I understand why some people don't like sneaks and that some people tend to think of them as juvenile and garish but why wouldn't I want my feet to be as comfortable as they possibly can be? I walk on them all day after all. Plus I've had pairs of these that I've worn for nigh on every day for 4 years and they still managed to not fall apart. That sounds like a winning formula to me!

So here lies the question... Is there anything other than thick socks and insoles that can make a pair of dress shoes more comfortable or are there any brands that cater to people with flat feet that aren't ludicrously expensive and will manage to hide the fact that I actually have surfboards for feet?

I have a friend who has flat feet and he's always worn special insoles. Have your looked into that?

I'm looking for the best White dress shirt. You know the one every man needs. But does anyone sell nice fitted ones? Can't seem to come across one that doesn't look like a gown

J.Crew has a Ludlow fit dress shirt that is top notch. They're Thomas Mason stuff runs blouse-y so make sure it's a Ludlow. I still can't believe how baggy the Brooks Brothers slim fit shirt I have is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom