• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam.chance

Neo Member
Is $100 too much for a tailor to charge for one suit jacket? I need to get my suit tailored (off the rack DKNY) and the tailor I took it to charged me $62 to take in the body and $38 to shorten the sleeves. The suit looks ridiculous on me off of the rack, as all suits do, so he is taking in the body a lot. I am not complaining, but it just seems like a lot. If I want to get more things tailored, that can add up. I think I paid about $200 for the jacket and the pants, haha. I live in Spokane, WA, USA. There are other shops in town, but this guy had the best reviews in town and was within walking distance.

Alucrid

Banned
adam.chance said:
Is $100 too much for a tailor to charge for one suit jacket? I need to get my suit tailored (off the rack DKNY) and the tailor I took it to charged me $62 to take in the body and $38 to shorten the sleeves. The suit looks ridiculous on me off of the rack, as all suits do, so he is taking in the body a lot. I am not complaining, but it just seems like a lot. If I want to get more things tailored, that can add up. I think I paid about $200 for the jacket and the pants, haha. I live in Spokane, WA, USA. There are other shops in town, but this guy had the best reviews in town and was within walking distance.

Seems kinda pricey. I was able to get mine for ~60. Did he have to take in the pants too in the waist or slim up the legs? Otherwise $100 is a rip off for just a hem.

Depends on a few things. If the sleeves have fake or functional buttonholes it will take varying amounts of tailoring to alter them. Same with the chest or waist. The bigger concern is that you are spending a good amount of money fixing something that doesnt work vs finding a maker that fits well with little adjustment. They exist, unless you have some truly crazy proportions.

For comparison, the last suit I took in cost $38 total for the sleeves and hem.

Eric WK

Cosmic Bus said:
Hoping these chinos end up fitting as slim as the stock photo (if not moreso), but if not, I guess that's why Asos has free returns. Last time I bought "skinny" chinos from Urban Outfitters, they ended up being so loose and baggy on my child-size frame. :(

P6aTj.jpg

Had a similar situation with Land's End Canvas - ordered a pair of red chinos that were supposed to be 'slim' but fit extremely loose. Also ordered a blazer in a Medium that fit like a Large. And to make matters worse, I now where a Small.

Actually just got the gift card from the returns so I have a little credit to play with so that's good.

Alucrid

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:
Hoping these chinos end up fitting as slim as the stock photo (if not moreso), but if not, I guess that's why Asos has free returns. Last time I bought "skinny" chinos from Urban Outfitters, they ended up being so loose and baggy on my child-size frame. :(

http://i.imgur.com/P6aTj.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Pretty much why I never order online from places that don't supply measurements.

Doytch

Eric WK said:
Had a similar situation with Land's End Canvas - ordered a pair of red chinos that were supposed to be 'slim' but fit extremely loose. Also ordered a blazer in a Medium that fit like a Large. And to make matters worse, I now where a Small.

Actually just got the gift card from the returns so I have a little credit to play with so that's good.
LEC runs massive. Tried them out with a few things during a sale a few months back and everything was tarp-like in a small (I'm a 47ish chest, 30 waist). Course, the shirts were soft as hell and only cost $10 so I just got them completely tailored for $11 extra each and still felt good about the price.

And speaking of tailoring, $100 for a jacket is insane. Prices in NC are significantly cheaper than what it was in Toronto, but I just got a jacket back from my tailor which was taken in around the body, arms slimmed and sleeves shortened for $30. God I love my tailor. But same thing in Toronto wouldn't have been more than $60, so $100 is insane.

If the tailor has to pull the sleeves up from the shoulder (due to functional cuffs) it'll probably be $70 for that alone. Add chest and waist cutting, and how much of it he is doing, $100 is reasonable for the work done. The question is if all this is necessary, and I would say no. Better to find a close fit and tweak vs complete overhaul.

Eric WK

Doytch said:
LEC runs massive. Tried them out with a few things during a sale a few months back and everything was tarp-like in a small (I'm a 47ish chest, 30 waist). Course, the shirts were soft as hell and only cost $10 so I just got them completely tailored for $11 extra each and still felt good about the price.

Yeah, I've decided to just get a belt and probably some more accessories with my credit. I don't want to go through the return hassle again.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I bought some chino's that fit just right from there (maybe a little tight) and a chino belt that was even tighter, but the chinos were a little less than casual. Not surprised the slim stuff ain't slim by the standards of like, UO.

Cool, I'll show her the site. Kind of surprised they don't make it more obvious where they are made. Tempted to get a pair of the tortoiseshell sunglasses myself.

Eric WK

macuser1of5 said:
Have you gotten sunglasses from them? My wife is in the market and we've been scoping fabien baron but reaaly don't want to pay $300 for the frame alone. Where are they made?

No sunglasses, but I'm wearing the Winston in old-fashioned fade as my prescription glasses now. Can't recommend Warby Parker enough.

They have a pretty sweet deal where you can get 5 different frames to try on sent to your house for free. I'll check it out. I'll probably end up looking like agent Lee from Fringe.

Eric WK

Lactose_Intolerant said:
They have a pretty sweet deal where you can get 5 different frames to try on sent to your house for free. I'll check it out. I'll probably end up looking like agent Lee from Fringe.

Yup, I did that before I purchased.

Alucrid

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
If the tailor has to pull the sleeves up from the shoulder (due to functional cuffs) it'll probably be $70 for that alone. Add chest and waist cutting, and how much of it he is doing, $100 is reasonable for the work done. The question is if all this is necessary, and I would say no. Better to find a close fit and tweak vs complete overhaul.

Better yet grab a MTM and probably end up with even less tailoring needed.

Eric WK said:

Hrmm Sunglasses seem nice. How well do these work with asian face shape?

Alucrid said:
Better yet grab a MTM and probably end up with even less tailoring needed.
i think the op is just buying the wrong size. Even the most shapeless jacket should not need that much work to become wearable if the shoulders fit.

spicy cho

Eric WK said:
I'm looking for an all black sneaker or shoe for as cheap as possible - almost a stop gap solution to help complete some outfits until I have the money to buy something nice. Anybody have any recommendations?

Right now I'm looking at these: http://www.karmaloop.com/product/The-Thunder-Red-Carpet-Series-in-TUF-Black-Satin/116300

Well he mentions how much of a discount he got, but not a price. I was able to click through to the site, though, so thanks!
I'm partial to the new balance v45 in black, costs around the same, made in usa.

Are denim jackets back for men?

I was just cleaning out my closet and I found two of my denim jackets that I haven't worn for a very long time. One is a dark blue and the other is faded blue with furry inner lining.

bob page

So I ordered the wrong size for those black suede distressed wingtips the other day. They look awesome and I already wiped some of the powder off. They're about 1 size too large for me though, so I have to get rid of them. I already ordered a new pair with the proper sizing.

Bed:Stu size 10.5
Asking $70 shipped, brand new w/ box (only tried on to fit)
uWSvq.jpg

RS4-

any thoughts on a trench? I still have to pick up a winter jacket, so I don't want to spend too much on a trench.

3CPsI.jpg
oYs62.jpg

mhN5j.jpg

Thoughts? Only thing going for the Banana Republic trench is that it's 40% off from $275, but it's also 100% polyester.

I can't say anything specific about those trenches, but IME poly/cotton feels better than straight poly. If you want something classic go with tan. I don't really like BN's stuff though, I think it's poorly made and fitted for the money.

bob page

RS4- said:
any thoughts on a trench? I still have to pick up a winter jacket, so I don't want to spend too much on a trench.

Thoughts? Only thing going for the Banana Republic trench is that it's 40% off from $275, but it's also 100% polyester.
Out of those 3, I think the 1st is best and definitely the most versatile. Something about tan trenches always strikes me as feminine, but that might just be me.

Edit: Then again, the length on the gray one is kinda funky.

RS4-

Thanks, I'll just choose between the first two and rule out the Banana Republic one.

The trench with the hood comes in beige or khaki, while the other one only comes in that charcoal like color.

I'll probably end up saving up to grab a burberry trench next year or something (or something else if you guys have any other recommendations)

Express one has a hood? Do they make jackets without them!? :p

Look into Aquascutum and maybe Mackintosh. You could probably find one on sale vs Burberry which is more well known.

RS4-

Oddly enough I was just looking at the topman site while I was making the other post.

I forgot about Mackintosh and thanks for the headsup in re: to Aquascutum.

I'll drop by the topman store here in Toronto.

Thanks!

bob page said:
Just got these brown French Connection oxfords for pretty cheap, thoughts?

fren052311_104025.main.jpg
Gorgeous. I bought some black ones in a similar style from Aldo's and I'm definitely picking up a similar shoe on my next purchase.

Doytch

LyleLanley said:
Just bought a pair of these, what do you guys think? And would it go well with a grey suit?

http://i.imgur.com/UA3d8.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
If it's grey-grey, and not charcoal, I kind of prefer brown shoes. Makes you stand out more.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Just got some bootcut chinos from Bonobos. They're really lovely, except for the fact that I'm not really a fan of bootcut. When I ordered them, they didn't have the straight leg kind, but I ordered them anyway. lol But I like these enough to get SL pair when they're in stock. They also seem a little long, although I didn't try them on with shoes, so that may be why.

Jay Sosa

Found some shoes that seem perfect for me..

Can anyone tell me if they are warm enough for cold weather and if the quality is good?

41kR3RCQz%2BL._SS400_.jpg

(Hush Puppies Desert Boots/Dark Brown)

Thanks!

hiryu

RatskyWatsky said:
Just got some bootcut chinos from Bonobos. They're really lovely, except for the fact that I'm not really a fan of bootcut. When I ordered them, they didn't have the straight leg kind, but I ordered them anyway. lol But I like these enough to get SL pair when they're in stock. They also seem a little long, although I didn't try them on with shoes, so that may be why.

I think most of their higher quality pants only come in one length and are meant to be hemmed to fit you so go visit a tailor.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Jay Sosa said:
Found some shoes that seem perfect for me..

Can anyone tell me if they are warm enough for cold weather and if the quality is good?

(Hush Puppies Desert Boots/Dark Brown)

Thanks!
They're desert boots, so no, they're not built for cold weather. I have never owned Hush Puppies, but I hear the quality is pretty poor.

Doytch

Dr. Strangelove said:
They're desert boots, so no, they're not built for cold weather. I have never owned Hush Puppies, but I hear the quality is pretty poor.
Seconded. Though I do have the Clarks DB in Beeswax, and with a nice warm sock, they're pretty solid down to 5˚C/freezing. So, depends what "cold" is in your neck of the woods.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
hiryu said:
I think most of their higher quality pants only come in one length and are meant to be hemmed to fit you so go visit a tailor.

On pretty much every kind of pants they had, they had multiple lengths listed. I live in the middle of nowhere, and I don't think there are any tailors around here, plus, even if there were, I wouldn't know what to tell him. Would he automatically know what length to make them?

RatskyWatsky said:
On pretty much every kind of pants they had, they had multiple lengths listed. I live in the middle of nowhere, and I don't think there are any tailors around here, plus, even if I did, I wouldn't know what to tell him. Would he automatically know what length to make them?
Any dry cleaner can do basic hemming (blind or otherwise). Just put them on and figure out where you want them. Nothing tricky.

Jay Sosa

thanks guys! any similar looking shoes that are more durable and made for cold(er) weather? not necessarily winter but late fall..

should have guessed desert boots are probably not very warm.. :D

edit: are the somewhat similar looking clarks better? cause i most likely get them for spring then.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Quote from the OP:

In all seriousness, that's Kevin Stewart; fashion designer, style director for ESPN Magazine and co-owner of the Roger Charles New York design studio. So, the downside is that Professor Badass does little more than design pretty outfits for fancy boys. But the upside? This wasnt even a photo shoot; thats just how he rolls on an average day. Professor Badass? Shit, that's just Tuesday for Kevin Stewart.

Bullshit. The two guys in the back are models.

Photos on sites like The Satorialist are practically all from photoshoots, they are not just random people walking in the street. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but a lot of people don't know this.

Lookbook.nu is a better representation of people just dressing as they want, although there are too few people past 20 on that site, sadly.

Anyway, I've noticed that the trend has been full geared towards dressing like rich New Yorkers. Everyone is now going for the peacoats, the rolled hem pants, the thick-framed glasses, the "rich hip intellectual" or whatever look it might be called, etc. Some actually go for this style because it fits them on many levels, this is always the case with fashion, but this style has gone totally mainstream. It's a shame because it feels like there is less creativity or something. Or maybe it's always been like this and I just noticed now.

Ether_Snake said:
Quote from the OP:

Bullshit. The two guys in the back are models.

Photos on sites like The Satorialist are practically all from photoshoots, they are not just random people walking in the street. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but a lot of people don't know this.

Lookbook.nu is a better representation of people just dressing as they want, although there are too few people past 20 on that site, sadly.

Anyway, I've noticed that the trend has been full geared towards dressing like rich New Yorkers. Everyone is now going for the peacoats, the rolled hem pants, the thick-framed glasses, the "rich hip intellectual" or whatever look it might be called, etc. Some actually go for this style because it fits them on many levels, this is always the case with fashion, but this style has gone totally mainstream. It's a shame because it feels like there is less creativity or something. Or maybe it's always been like this and I just noticed now.

May I ask how it's a photo shoot? I'm pretty sure Scott Schuman walks around NY looking for people to shoot. I agree with the it's-not-a-good-representation-of-people deal, as he usually just shoots the fashions people. When he started out though, he took pictures of real random people, from brokers to construction workers. He doesn't do this as often now, sadly. Though I think the people on lookbook are as bad as the people who try to get shot by the Sartorialist. It's basically people just dressing for other people on the internets.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
latinlikeaviolin said:
May I ask how it's a photo shoot? I'm pretty sure Scott Schuman walks around NY looking for people to shoot. I agree with the it's-not-a-good-representation-of-people deal, as he usually just shoots the fashions people. When he started out though, he took pictures of real random people, from brokers to construction workers. He doesn't do this as often now, sadly. Though I think the people on lookbook are as bad as the people who try to get shot by the Sartorialist. It's basically people just dressing for other people on the internets.

Well ok "practically all" is unfounded, but a lot are either photoshoots, or photos of people working in the fashion industry. It's rarely random people. The guy is traveling around the world from fashion shows to fashion shows and meeting up with people from the industry all the time and a LOT of those shots are from those occasions, not just random people. It's not a bad thing, it's just that most of the time there is no explanation of who is in the photo or where it was shot, outside of the city's name. It's a bit misleading IMO. It's like going to the zoo and taking closeup shots of animals, not mentioning you took them at the zoo:p

Lookbook at least is people dressing up specifically to show what they are wearing, so I prefer that. It's closer to "real people" IMO while still being creative. I find it less misleading. Problem is it's mostly kids.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Man, I've been stocking up on some sales lately. It's crazy,

My Eastland boots came today:

Got these for like $65 or so from JCP.com last week. They're looking right.

Dockers was having a khaki sale, and signing up for their newsletter gave you 20% off + free shipping too, so I got these for $24 a piece:

Then I figured it was fall, and I have all these browns, I better get some more green into my wardrobe, so I went to an H&M, picked up a hoodie (they also had a sign up for their newsletter, 20% off coupon thing, very sweet)

Then I went to the actual JCP store to see if they had some light yellow shirts to match. Before I went out, I saw there was a $10 off $25 thing they had going on, so I brought a printout of that with me just in case since it's all in the same mall.

Didn't find any yellow shirts I wanted (they're really hard to find, it's weird. I really want this specific kind, but I don't want to spend $22 either). I did see some white low top converse I've been meaning to get & ending up getting those for $10 off. The woman didn't take my coupon though, she just applied it automatically. So I figured, what the hell, I'll wander around the store and see what else they have. Saw some 514s there that were about what they sell them for on amazon. I liked my first pair so much , I picked up a darker (closer to black) pair and got $10 off by taking them to another check out counter, then another 15% off just for signing up for their rewards card, which I'll just cancel asap. So, for $20, pretty damn nice, IMO.

After all this, I think I might have to cool it for a bit. Atleast until the next steep sale on something I want, heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom