• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVOL 100%

Eyeing this, it looks warm as hell.

7GJqw.png

Thoughts? I'm going to get it in dark gray if do buy it btw.

EVOL 100%

The coat is cute but not as cute as the model in it. I cannot see myself or anyone walking around in that coat.

I'm assuming the coat being cute isn't a compliment here, lol.

It's actually just a peacoat that has buttons on the back of the lapel(s) which you can close to protect your neck from the cold.

But if it really does look that tacky than I guess I'm getting something else.

these are for sale for 50% off Allen Edmonds Eagle County, think these will be on the narrow side? Never purchased AE before..
Damn those are fresh. Are all sales final? I dont know how they fit, but I would pull the trigger on a .5 size larger than you normally would and just return ASAP if they don't work out.

I was teased about them in this thread, but it was in good fun.

I have the 1400 from J. Crew. They're pricer, but they're made in the USA. I have them in Navy & Gray.

35251_BL8133

35251_SP2854

...I also have the 992s, but they were for running and are currently retired in favor of my nike frees.

Really like these two, really nice colours. Unfortunately I'm based in the UK though, so I don't think I'll be able to afford those. I did find some nice 373's though, but I'm pretty stumped on what colour to get. These 3 are my favourite... I think the orange/brown ones might be my favourite but everyone else I've asked do not agree. God I hate making decisions on clothes :(

66453sz03

51917sz03
66428sz03

Really like these two, really nice colours. Unfortunately I'm based in the UK though, so I don't think I'll be able to afford those. I did find some nice 373's though, but I'm pretty stumped on what colour to get. These 3 are my favourite... I think the orange/brown ones might be my favourite but everyone else I've asked do not agree. God I hate making decisions on clothes :(

66453sz03

51917sz03
66428sz03

The orange and brown look pretty cool actually. I stuck with the navy and gray ones as they go with everything I own for the most part (wearing my navy ones today because I feel lazy). I'd say - go with the pair that you can see yourself wearing everyday. If it's a safe color, then that's cool but if you want to jump in and get the ones you want, then that's cool too.

Yo FashionGaf! For Christmas I got a merino wool jacket. However, I live in the Pacific Northwest where all it does is rain and I'm a little nervous about my ability to actually where the coat. Anyone know what the viability of wearing this in the rain would be? Is wool water resistant at all? I generally avoid wool clothes since I always end up accidentally sending them through the dryer.

Yo FashionGaf! For Christmas I got a merino wool jacket. However, I live in the Pacific Northwest where all it does is rain and I'm a little nervous about my ability to actually where the coat. Anyone know what the viability of wearing this in the rain would be? Is wool water resistant at all? I generally avoid wool clothes since I always end up accidentally sending them through the dryer.
First off, welcome. There are lots of PNW people in this thread, myself included, so I can definitely sympathize with you about your rain dilemma.

To my knowledge, merino wool is naturally water resistant to some extent. I say some extent because while it's not going to be severely damaged by a little bit of rain, it's certainly not going to take the place of your raincoat. I think it's doable in your average PNW light rain/misty days, but for those days where it starts really dumping I'd probably keep it on the hanger. Hope that helps.

Menelaus

Banned
Ok, fashion-GAF...I haven't worn a suit in over 6 years, when I interviewed for my current job. Of course, it doesn't fit anymore now that I've shed my college weight, so I need a new one. I'm 6'3, 200 if that matters at all.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, as I won't be wearing it often (2-3 times a year at MOST), but don't want it falling apart in a year either. Any suggestions to get me started? What to look for material-wise (in Texas)?

Thanks in advance!

goodfella

Anyone in the UK have any advice for places to shop? A lot of the information I get is US specific, as US brands tend to mark their prices up for overseas markets.

Looking for student style stuff, at somewhat of a budget obviously. Online clothes shopping is such a chore.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm still looking for a nice peacoat. Something that looks a bit more slender and fitting, like how Korean clothes look, but not as cheap. Unless you know a place where to get one which isn't cheap. Basically a normal looking one with a korean fit.

Checked the sites in the OP, some Amazon, and Jack threads daily.

Mr. F

Banned
Hey fashion-gaf.

I've been watching from the shadows for a while, but have been too intimidated to jump in (both style-wise and budget-wise). No longer! (Disclaimer: I admit total and complete ignorance, so go easy).

In the market for some shoes that would be durable for the winter season. I like the look of suede but am positive salt would destroy any pair in no time at all. On that note, I was looking at these and quite like them;

i31BFJMtlh2TI.png

Just was wondering if leather shoes fare well enough in the elements or if I should be looking toward a more specific-purpose pair of shoes/boots.

for winter time, people purchase galoshes to protect their shoes in the winter time. Allen Edmonds are having a 50% sale off right now. Suede is not good in anything, it's very easy to discolor and damage the napping too.

Antagon

I like my rough out leather boots for winter. Looks like suede, but is stronger. It does change color easily (denim bleed... ) but it's a boot, nothing wrong with them looking used.

these are for sale for 50% off Allen Edmonds Eagle County, think these will be on the narrow side? Never purchased AE before..
I saw those in the AE store in San Francisco and they looked pretty good. If you can't try that exact boot in their store, you can at least put on a shoe with the same last for sizing purposes.
I'm lloking for a peacoat as well, as evidenced by my earlier post in the thread. Nothing more expensive than $200. Suggestions welcome.
Maybe something from Uniqlo at that price point?

Ah, looks more like a blazer, which makes the zip out hood thing kind of odd. if what you like about it is the material and techy detailing just hop on svpply etc and search for nylon or technical blazers. I know brands like prada do them, but $$$. Could be anything from $100 to a $1000. I'm mobile right now so I can't be of too much help heh ;)

Hey fashion-gaf.

I've been watching from the shadows for a while, but have been too intimidated to jump in (both style-wise and budget-wise). No longer! (Disclaimer: I admit total and complete ignorance, so go easy).

In the market for some shoes that would be durable for the winter season. I like the look of suede but am positive salt would destroy any pair in no time at all. On that note, I was looking at these and quite like them;

i31BFJMtlh2TI.png

Just was wondering if leather shoes fare well enough in the elements or if I should be looking toward a more specific-purpose pair of shoes/boots.

Not only will salt wreck suede, regular old water will destroy suede unless you treat/seal it.

Leather shoes can do well in the elements, but you have to take some things into consideration: types of leather, welt and sole. When looking at shoes/boots make sure to check the details on the specific leather and then just google it to see how well it will do; you'll see types like cordovan, chromexcel, bonded, genuine, etc and quality will vary greatly.

Traditionally hand-made shoes use a Goodyear welt or something similar. When shoes are welted instead of glued to the sole, they can usually be remade by a cobbler so their value lasts longer and they are genuinely more waterproof. The downsides to a traditional welt are that they tend to look more rugged and cost more.

If you're going to be stomping in some potentially slick conditions you'll want to make sure the heel isnt too dressy and slippery as well. Nothing will be more embarrassing than looking good in your new kicks and falling on your ass.

No matter what you end up going with the most important thing you can do is to get the proper shoe/boot care products. It honestly is not difficult, nor does it take that much time, to polish and seal up your shoes. For example, I'm in Chicago and my main winter boots are my Alden Indy chromexcels and I apply a neutral wax about 4 times a year and then brush them to a shine once or twice a month. 10 minutes for the wax, 5 minutes to polish with a brush. .

Edit: I like 90% of those shoes. You can't go wrong with a cap toe, the semi-contrast stitching works for me and the toe shape is great. The 10% that doesn't work for me is complete personal preference, but I only wear Oxfords and only have Blucher lacing on boots.

Ah, looks more like a blazer, which makes the zip out hood thing kind of odd. if what you like about it is the material and techy detailing just hop on svpply etc and search for nylon or technical blazers. I know brands like prada do them, but $$$. Could be anything from $100 to a $1000. I'm mobile right now so I can't be of too much help heh ;)

hmm, I got nothing from svpply or google with those so far, but thanks for the help!

This has turned into quite the conundrum, but I have faith that fashion-gaf will deliver

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I stopped into Zebraclub (a small chain which reminds me of Asos in b&m form) this afternoon on the way into work since they were doing half off everything for Boxing Day. Saw a lot of appealing stuff, but naturally almost nothing in xs or s. Wanted to pick up a cool Vanishing Elephant grey button-up with little roses embroidered all over, but the only small they had was in terrible shape: buttons coming off, loose threads on the sleeve, etc. The salesgirl's response when I asked about it was "yeah, these are final sale, k bye." Thanks, jerks.

Thanks, bb.

My manager bought me 6 bow ties for Christmas.

I'm not ready.

<3
But are they Jos. A Banks bow ties? I thought that's all you wear? I kid.

Bow ties are a fantastic way of setting your outfit apart from others. Hopefully you pull them off and separate yourself for the right reasons rather than the wrong ones.

I stopped into Zebraclub (a small chain which reminds me of Asos in b&m form) this afternoon on the way into work since they were doing half off everything for Boxing Day. Saw a lot of appealing stuff, but naturally almost nothing in xs or s. Wanted to pick up a cool Vanishing Elephant grey button-up with little roses embroidered all over, but the only small they had was in terrible shape: buttons coming off, loose threads on the sleeve, etc. The salesgirl's response when I asked about it was "yeah, these are final sale, k bye." Thanks, jerks.
I had been meaning to check out Zebraclub but maybe now I won't go out of my way to do so.

Anyone in the UK have any advice for places to shop? A lot of the information I get is US specific, as US brands tend to mark their prices up for overseas markets.

Looking for student style stuff, at somewhat of a budget obviously. Online clothes shopping is such a chore.

I'd recommend Uni-qlo if you can find one near you. They've got some great simple and cheap clothes. I go to them for shirts and jeans, but if you want something a bit more dressier I'd honestly recommend some charity shops.

Alucrid

Banned
I'd recommend Uni-qlo if you can find one near you. They've got some great simple and cheap clothes. I go to them for shirts and jeans, but if you want something a bit more dressier I'd honestly recommend some charity shops.
Their tasmanian wool trousers are nice as are some of their oxfords.

Mr. F

Banned
Not only will salt wreck suede, regular old water will destroy suede unless you treat/seal it.

Leather shoes can do well in the elements, but you have to take some things into consideration: types of leather, welt and sole. When looking at shoes/boots make sure to check the details on the specific leather and then just google it to see how well it will do; you'll see types like cordovan, chromexcel, bonded, genuine, etc and quality will vary greatly.

Traditionally hand-made shoes use a Goodyear welt or something similar. When shoes are welted instead of glued to the sole, they can usually be remade by a cobbler so their value lasts longer and they are genuinely more waterproof. The downsides to a traditional welt are that they tend to look more rugged and cost more.

If you're going to be stomping in some potentially slick conditions you'll want to make sure the heel isnt too dressy and slippery as well. Nothing will be more embarrassing than looking good in your new kicks and falling on your ass.

No matter what you end up going with the most important thing you can do is to get the proper shoe/boot care products. It honestly is not difficult, nor does it take that much time, to polish and seal up your shoes. For example, I'm in Chicago and my main winter boots are my Alden Indy chromexcels and I apply a neutral wax about 4 times a year and then brush them to a shine once or twice a month. 10 minutes for the wax, 5 minutes to polish with a brush. .

Edit: I like 90% of those shoes. You can't go wrong with a cap toe, the semi-contrast stitching works for me and the toe shape is great. The 10% that doesn't work for me is complete personal preference, but I only wear Oxfords and only have Blucher lacing on boots.

Wow, wasn't expecting such a comprehensive reply! Thanks a lot. Unfortunately there isn't any detail on the particular kind of leather used (other than '100%'). Good information on the welt/heel, hadn't considered those in my browsing and will definitely take them into consideration in the future.

I think I might shift my focus towards finding a pair of boots. Do you think I'd be able to find something decent for around $100?

zethren

Banned
But are they Jos. A Banks bow ties? I thought that's all you wear? I kid.

Bow ties are a fantastic way of setting your outfit apart from others. Hopefully you pull them off and separate yourself for the right reasons rather than the wrong ones.

Lol

No, no they are not. But a fine gift they were, nonetheless.

If I don't pull it off, I'm going to be honest with myself and just let it be. Can't force it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom