• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh god, look what I just found on the H&M website

541841_10200258097965277_926868134_n.jpg

HORRIBLE :D

Something I was thinking about;

Living in America, I realized something. Most mass produced brands such as Nike fit like parachutes. People who are slim, skinny or toned have to actively search and go out of their way for clothes that shouldn't have to be labeled as such.

Rather, it should be the other way around, with the slim fit and more fitted clothing not labeled anything, and the baggier/poorly cut clothing being labeled in a different category.

I realize our country's clothing companies cater to the larger market because obesity is at an all time high, and people are in worst shape than they've ever been, but there needs to be some sort of PSA or style revolution where its the norm for clothes to be made to fit properly, and not like tents.

Just felt like sharing my opinion.
True, but it also takes a higher level of craftsmanship to make clothing that fits properly. Maybe not a higher level, but certainly more time. That's often why products are priced the way they are, with designer stuff being so high because (generally) they're made by hand rather than just run through an assembly line.

I think it's easier and less time consuming to make clothes that don't have to worry about fit.

Kraftwerk

Heading out to shop for some boots downtown. Any of the big brands that I should stay away from? In terms of quality, being overpriced etc...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Something I was thinking about;

Living in America, I realized something. Most mass produced brands such as Nike fit like parachutes. People who are slim, skinny or toned have to actively search and go out of their way for clothes that shouldn't have to be labeled as such.

Rather, it should be the other way around, with the slim fit and more fitted clothing not labeled anything, and the baggier/poorly cut clothing being labeled in a different category.

I realize our country's clothing companies cater to the larger market because obesity is at an all time high, and people are in worst shape than they've ever been, but there needs to be some sort of PSA or style revolution where its the norm for clothes to be made to fit properly, and not like tents.

Just felt like sharing my opinion.

That's a bad opinion and big people have clothes marked as well. Big and tall.

sadly they dont seem to have a lulu belt skirt ...

Pity... Ah well, would've been interesting to see if anyone would wear in the open if it was sold by H&M.

As for my boot quest, at least I have time to decide between Iron Rangers and the Wolverine 1000 Mile ones... But since I would like a brown pair and a black pair, perhaps owning both may be the right call. :)

ucdawg12

any expertise on the length of casual pants? can't really find anything on this but while i always buy pants that fit in the waist\hips\legs etc they always tend to run a little long. i just usually cuff them rather thoughtlessly. do you guys get them hemmed or just cuff them? is there any science\math to this at all?

Alucrid

Banned
any expertise on the length of casual pants? can't really find anything on this but while i always buy pants that fit in the waist\hips\legs etc they always tend to run a little long. i just usually cuff them rather thoughtlessly. do you guys get them hemmed or just cuff them? is there any science\math to this at all?

i mean, whatever you prefer.

also uh...that's just the mmm replica jacket with a final fantasy logo shopped on there.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Here you go. I prefer a half break for casual pants.

Pity... Ah well, would've been interesting to see if anyone would wear in the open if it was sold by H&M.

As for my boot quest, at least I have time to decide between Iron Rangers and the Wolverine 1000 Mile ones... But since I would like a brown pair and a black pair, perhaps owning both may be the right call. :)
Try them both on and see how they feel. The 1000 Miles are going to be real tight at first but after about a half day's wear they should start to loosen up and feel great. Can't speak on the Iron Rangers seeing as I've never owned any, but I'd imagine they feel about the same.

The good thing is that you're going to win either way because both boots are fantastic.

I usually just cuff them because I'm too lazy to take them down to my tailor. Realistically I have a few pairs that should be hemmed but I'll get around to it when I get around to it lol.

ucdawg12

thanks guys

another question. i just got a pair of wool cargo pants from todd snyder. i really really love the material and the color. but the cut is just weird. the leg is tapered which make the thighs look like they balloon out, not nearly as dramatic as pantaloons but like dress pants you'd get at a suburban macy's vs a macy's in the city. the thighs i don't think are actually the problem but how dramatic the tapering is of the leg.

im not sure if there's anything i can ask a tailor to do to fix them, like can you just get the thighs slimmed without doing anything else? i can get a picture of them tomorrow when it's light outside but these pants are like confusing the hell out of me. gq made them a gq select, which is how i found them, but why on earth would they when this cut is so weird and unflattering.

two pictures for examples. the first one is from the fashion show last january. if they fit like this they would be perfect. the next is on the nordstrom site where you kind of see the thighs a bit wider than ideal but still manageable and mine which i'll have tomorrow, which just look ridiculous. i almost think i must be doing something wrong but they fit nice and tight in the waist...

GzBgi.jpg
HhKq2.jpg

ucdawg12

haha i dunno im home for xmas and my mom confirmed they look odd. they bow in at the knee so badly. i'll grab the pic tomorrow anyway though

i did grab a size up as well just cause i didnt know how his sizes were. im wondering if i can take that one to the tailor and have him bring in the waist and thighs a size down and to my normal size so maybe the tapering wouldnt look so drastic? but im not sure if thats too much to ask a tailor to do, like fixing too big shoulders on a blazer.

Try them both on and see how they feel. The 1000 Miles are going to be real tight at first but after about a half day's wear they should start to loosen up and feel great. Can't speak on the Iron Rangers seeing as I've never owned any, but I'd imagine they feel about the same.

The good thing is that you're going to win either way because both boots are fantastic.

Indeed. I have a pair of Red Wing 875s that are, at the moment, my only pair of boots though I've been coveting a pair of Alden Indys for a while I also felt the need to have at least a black pair of boots.

Regardless, I shall try both on and figure out what I want and then go from there.

So thanks luckyboyceo & Antagon for giving me some insight on both. :)

ucdawg12

okay here are the pants on me. the cut looks so weird. they fit very snug in the waist so i dont think i have the wrong size. the thighs look big but i think if they were any tighter they'd be uncomfortable you know where. the tapered legs make them look huge though. i feel like when i look at this picture i must be doing something wrong because i cannot see how anyone would try these on in store and buy them ($400 retail lol) with such a strange looking taper. i have a size up that i might take to the tailor to slim the thighs and waist down to the current size so hopefully the taper doesnt look as dramatic because i do like the fabric and color a lot

1wofm.jpg

Shiv47

okay here are the pants on me. the cut looks so weird. they fit very snug in the waist so i dont think i have the wrong size. the thighs look big but i think if they were any tighter they'd be uncomfortable you know where. the tapered legs make them look huge though. i feel like when i look at this picture i must be doing something wrong because i cannot see how anyone would try these on in store and buy them ($400 retail lol) with such a strange looking taper. i have a size up that i might take to the tailor to slim the thighs and waist down to the current size so hopefully the taper doesnt look as dramatic because i do like the fabric and color a lot

1wofm.jpg

Sort of looks like you're wearing jodhpurs. Which I imagine is not the desired effect.

Yikes that looks ... Not good. Problem is that depending on how & where the cargo pocket is situated slimming the upper leg may be tricky and look a bit choppy.

fat pat

1wofm.jpg

Looks like puffy directors pants

ucdawg12

yeah they are totally bumming me out because i can't find another pair like them but they just look awful atm. oh well, hopefully my tailor will be able to do something when i get the chance to bring them to her

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i found two pairs of like new allen edmonds dress shoes at goodwill for a total of $8.48. i looked up their value and was stunned.

Rookje

1wofm.jpg

I have the W+H bush pants and they have a similar effect, although way less drastic. IMO that cut is awful, no matter who they're on. I guarantee those model pics have clips or are tailored in some way.

Do you have bigger than average/muscular calves? Do they fit in the thigh? Or are they baggy there too? Cause you could take in the thigh. You also need a hem.

How tall are you btw?

ucdawg12

actually, i fixed them. the 32s, which are in that pic, still suck even though they fit better in the waist and thighs, maybe they are too tight in the knees and leg or something, but the 33s looked much smoother and proportional besides that they had a really hard crease on the sides that was causing them to flair out so i steamed that out and now they look much better, very much normal\fine like the nordstrom pic (but not as good as the runway pic but those must be straight legged or tailored specifically for him) though im still gonna see if i can get the thighs taken in to get it as close to looking like a straight leg as possible. and they need a hem badly as well.

anyway, thanks guys!

Well then, I did not see that twist coming. Glad things worked out for you, ucdawg.

Alucrid only post pictures if they're in Rick Owens underwear. I know you have some.

i don't have a nordstorm rack near me, nice score on the shoes. Walnut color leather looks great.

Sounds like some awesome pickups. What material is the baseball jacket? Also, pics?

And Leroy those Allen Edmonds are great. Nice find.

thanks
--------

-also the boots I ordered from the Allen Edmonds Sale posted a few pages back arrived today yay!! soo comfy, would recommend

bob page

Just picked up my first nice purchase of 2013... a J Crew Ludlow suit. Found it for $268 total on sale ($390 on sale + more than 30% off ontop that)... nearly shit my pants.

18613_WW7579_m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom