• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

caesar

Banned
122012Plaid5501Web.jpg

Shoes?

Hackbert

glasses.png

left vs right...

going glasses searching with lenses is a nice change of pace. always bought them halfblind. But lenses seem to irritate my eyes too much *sigh*...
ah sry if wrong thread, but glasses /goggles thread was unsearchable

Antagon

I went the the store in my town that carries Mission Workshop. They did not have it, but the owner had one for himself. He has the black version. I played around with it and I am set on getting it. I will be making the purchase around march-april. Again, the waxed canvas for me.

-----

Manshion, thoughts on these boots?

I will be purchasing a pair of boots next month. Are these hard to pull off? I mainly wear jeans, chinos and simple plain shirts. Very minimalist wardrobe.

Asking since I showed this to a few people and they were saying it's for old dudes in suits.... :|

NBpjK.png

W6O4C.jpg

Don't like the two tone/'toe cap' shape. I'd go more minimalist with your boots as well.

What's the budget?

Hackbert, IMO the right pair looks better on you.

Fritz

going glasses searching with lenses is a nice change of pace. always bought them halfblind. But lenses seem to irritate my eyes too much *sigh*...

Neither, you're a panto guy.

I will be purchasing a pair of boots next month. Are these hard to pull off? I mainly wear jeans, chinos and simple plain shirts. Very minimalist wardrobe.

Asking since I showed this to a few people and they were saying it's for old dudes in suits.... :|

NBpjK.png

W6O4C.jpg

Definitely not 'over dressed' for jeans + plain shirt, but the 2 colors make it a bit harder to harmonize with the rest...

In the same style, and not too expensive, I'd recommend to look at the Paul & Joe shoes. I have two pairs and it fits perfectly with a casual wear.

Lirlond

glasses.png

left vs right...

Go for smaller frames, those huge ones look ridiculous on everyone.

What is everyone's opinions on suits? I feel I like the European suits over American suits. My scope is small, though I formulate my opinion from Men's Warehouse and Jos. A Banks versus my Tailor.

The major things I have noticed is that on American suits they seem to have a wider lapel. Also, I have had them tapered, but the suit still looks like its very square and has thick shoulder pads in them. Its terrible.

The only negative about European suits is that the arm hole at the shoulder that attaches the sleeve seems to be smaller, or at least snug when I move around. However, that is something I can live with. European suits look way more form fitting and modern. I think they are almost as competitive as the custom suits I have.

Is there any other differences between American and European suits? Or is it a difference between those two American stores and everyone else.

caesar

Banned
What is everyone's opinions on suits? I feel I like the European suits over American suits. My scope is small, though I formulate my opinion from Men's Warehouse and Jos. A Banks versus my Tailor.

The major things I have noticed is that on American suits they seem to have a wider lapel. Also, I have had them tapered, but the suit still looks like its very square and has thick shoulder pads in them. Its terrible.

The only negative about European suits is that the arm hole at the shoulder that attaches the sleeve seems to be smaller, or at least snug when I move around. However, that is something I can live with. European suits look way more form fitting and modern. I think they are almost as competitive as the custom suits I have.

Is there any other differences between American and European suits? Or is it a difference between those two American stores and everyone else.

What kind of budget do you have?

caesar

Banned
Well it depends on how formal it needs to be. For black tie type suits and very formal wear, I would pay about $1800. For work suits, I would pay about $700.00 - $850.00 per.

Well if you prefer the European style, Savile Row Company have a pretty good sale going on right now.

http://www.savilerowco.com/

You could get a nice selection of stuff for that price. Liking the cashmere overcoat, if you don't have one of those yet you should go for it!

Anyone here have experience with a J Crew Ludlow suit? Pretty decent price right now but I want to know if the build quality is any good.

J. Crew suits look very good. I like there style but in terms of quality, I think it is how they do their stitching. When they are mass prodcued like that, they are more than likely using machine stitching which typically doesn't last you as long as say, a custom suit.

I would ask, what are your expectations for this suit, and how long would you like for it to last you? A season or 10 years?

J. Crew suits look very good. I like there style but in terms of quality, I think it is how they do their stitching. When they are mass prodcued like that, they are more than likely using machine stitching which typically doesn't last you as long as say, a custom suit.

I would ask, what are your expectations for this suit, and how long would you like for it to last you? A season or 10 years?

I typically cycle through suits every 3 years. I have a couple H.Boss's that I got to really last(Black, Navy) but I want a decent light gray wool and I love the styling of the J Crew suits.

caesar

Banned
I typically cycle through suits every 3 years. I have a couple H.Boss's that I got to really last(Black, Navy) but I want a decent light gray wool and I love the styling of the J Crew suits.

http://www.raja-fashions.com/

I can recommend these. Basically you go to a hotel in something easily removable and a crew of guys with tape measures go over you. You pick your fabric, agree pockets and detailing, give them the cash and go back for final fit later. £250-500 for a suit that'll make your boss look like a vagrant.

Talon

Wow I am intrigued. You have used these guys before?
If you live in a major city (NYC, Chicago, LA, SF), there are Hong Kong-based tailors that come by and do measurements/orders a few times a year. Knew some consultants and marketing guys that sword by them.

caesar

Banned
Wow I am intrigued. You have used these guys before?

Yeah, I have heard varied things about them. But I guess it depends where you are/who services you. The person who served me was very polite and accomodating. I decided before hand what I wanted, they have a huge selection. Just purchased a blazer that time, came in about 6 weeks and fits me perfectly. I would use them again...

I'm in the UK.

Caesar, are you in London?

No, I'm in Leicester. It's a city about an hours train journey from London, so I go quite a lot to do my shopping etc. Why?

My personal favorite suits at the moment are ck collection. I have a sharkskinish khaki/brown/grey that people constantly comment on, and most importantly it fits extremely well off the rack. The cut and detail is modern but not excessively so.

Jil Sander was the previous king but those are getting scarce to find online from the tailor made line which had sooooft shoulders and felt amazing on.

My personal favorite suits at the moment are ck collection. I have a sharkskinish khaki/brown/grey that people constantly comment on, and most importantly it fits extremely well off the rack. The cut and detail is modern but not excessively so.

Jil Sander was the previous king but those are getting scarce to find online from the tailor made line which had sooooft shoulders and felt amazing on.

Yeah I like the CK collection as well. I have one suit from them I got through Haute Look for a pretty great price.

Yeah, I have heard varied things about them. But I guess it depends where you are/who services you. The person who served me was very polite and accomodating. I decided before hand what I wanted, they have a huge selection. Just purchased a blazer that time, came in about 6 weeks and fits me perfectly. I would use them again...

I'm in the UK.

No, I'm in Leicester. It's a city about an hours train journey from London, so I go quite a lot to do my shopping etc. Why?

I lived in London for a bit and I wanted to know the British rule of thumb on how long the tie should hang. I was under the assumption that that tip of the tie should touch your belt buckle. However, I noticed it could be shorter than that according to British fashion.

I would typically notice this in the Winter months when they were wearing thicker fabrics. They would have a double windsor with the tie falling well above the belt buckle.

Also, I have never been to a cobble shop as excellent as the shops in London. Quality shoes.

caesar

Banned
I lived in London for a bit and I wanted to know the British rule of thumb on how long the tie should hang. I was under the assumption that that tip of the tie should touch your belt buckle. However, I noticed it could be shorter than that according to British fashion.

I would typically notice this in the Winter months when they were wearing thicker fabrics. They would have a double windsor with the tie falling well above the belt buckle.

Also, I have never been to a cobble shop as excellent as the shops in London. Quality shoes.

Ah right, university? Hmm well, I wasn't really into fashion until about 2 years ago when I was 21 I landed a marketing internship with Condé Nast (Publisher of Vogue, GQ etc). First day I turned up and I swear I felt like Anne Hathaway in The Devil Wears Prada.

No one ever officially said to me 'the tie must hang this long' but yeah, I did see a lot of men going for double windsor and hanging it just below the belly button. Man, I haven't wore a suit in a while.

Been over-wearing this shirt this winter. (Right) Samsoe + Samsoe, just so damn comfortable and nicely fitting.

bob page

Just got my J crew suit tailored...and learned that one of my legs is longer than the other, lol.

Anyways, $160 well spend. Fits like a glove now.

Ah right, university? Hmm well, I wasn't really into fashion until about 2 years ago when I was 21 I landed a marketing internship with Condé Nast (Publisher of Vogue, GQ etc). First day I turned up and I swear I felt like Anne Hathaway in The Devil Wears Prada.

No one ever officially said to me 'the tie must hang this long' but yeah, I did see a lot of men going for double windsor and hanging it just below the belly button. Man, I haven't wore a suit in a while.

Been over-wearing this shirt this winter. (Right) Samsoe + Samsoe, just so damn comfortable and nicely fitting.

I was working at the embassy there.

But I am not crazy! You have seen it to. So it is acceptbale?

My sexuality is questioned by the Gosling.

I have a strict framework in which I stay in. I know what looks good on me and I am conservative with my expirements. That said, my sexuality would not allow me to wear the Gosling. Mainly because I would not be able to pull it off.

caesar

Banned
I have a strict framework in which I stay in. I know what looks good on me and I am conservative with my expirements. That said, my sexuality would not allow me to wear the Gosling. Mainly because I would not be able to pull it off.

What do you look like?

I've always been in a bit of a dilemma with glasses, they look good on me but I don't need them. Do I be that douche Gaf?

Zekes!

Thinking about using some bleach and fucking around with an old pair of Naked & Famous Weird Guys. They're the vintage blue and I've been considering buying a new pair and trying my hand at fading them again, so this would just be an experiment.

http://i.imgur.com/NBpjK.png[/*IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/W6O4C.jpg[/*IMG][/QUOTE]
No no no definitely do NOT get those. The two tone kills it and honestly they wouldn't be functional at all.

Just get the black 1000 Miles. I have them ([URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45970940&postcount=12608"]posted a few pages back[/URL]) and absolutely love them. Super durable, and super comfortable. Fantastic looking as well. They work with just about everything.

[quote="Aegus, post: 46237584"]Wish I was a billionaire so I could afford the Japanese high end brands. Love the details and fit on their stuff.[/QUOTE]
Same here, man. I've said this before but I hate how whenever I get low on cash all of my favorite brands start putting out their best stuff. It's a curse.

[quote="caesar, post: 46244143"]Any of Fashion-Gaf got a blog, or thought about starting one?[/QUOTE]
I've been working on a decent-sized fashion blog for awhile now. Way more work than I anticipated but I hope to launch it in March.

[quote="caesar, post: 46246747"]
I've always been in a bit of a dilemma with glasses, they look good on me but I don't need them. Do I be that douche Gaf?[/QUOTE]
Honestly, I only think it's douchey if you wear the glasses frame without the lenses. If they look good on you, why not?

[quote="Zekes!, post: 46246990"]Thinking about using some bleach and fucking around with an old pair of Naked & Famous Weird Guys. They're the vintage blue and I've been considering buying a new pair and trying my hand at fading them again, so this would just be an experiment.[/QUOTE]
Do it. I've been thinking about doing the same to my indigos that I need to retire. Would be interested to see your results first though.

Alucrid

Banned
Thinking about using some bleach and fucking around with an old pair of Naked & Famous Weird Guys. They're the vintage blue and I've been considering buying a new pair and trying my hand at fading them again, so this would just be an experiment.

How so?

I've soaked them in bleach+water for about a day and got white jeans with blue left in random folded areas. Was cool.

I also washed some apcs with bleach to get more of a fade / lighter face overall. Also cool.

caesar

Banned
317544_10150351651182877_1175409157_n.jpg

This pic, and another one I posted in another thread, are the only pics I have that are not just of my head. They are from halloween, sorry about that but it shows what I look like.

Yeah, I can see you looking good in a suit! But I understand why the Gosling thing might not work for you.

I've been working on a decent-sized fashion blog for awhile now. Way more work than I anticipated but I hope to launch it in March.

Be happy to help. I'm not great at keeping those things running on my own but with some others I'd reckon I'd be good.

Btw, who has seen this? http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/articles/2013-01/01/gq-best-dressed-men-list-2013

Cumberbatch only #24? Pssh.

Zekes!

How so?

I've soaked them in bleach+water for about a day and got white jeans with blue left in random folded areas. Was cool.

I also washed some apcs with bleach to get more of a fade / lighter face overall. Also cool.

Soaking them was one of my thoughts, as I mostly want them to be lighter. I have some old Levis I might go crazy with, maybe try tie-dying them with bleach or whatever. I gotta look up some more info and stuff before I commit though.

Do it. I've been thinking about doing the same to my indigos that I need to retire. Would be interested to see your results first though.

Ah I'm looking forward to seeing what you put together. What kind of features are you looking to put together?

If I can find another pair of these N&Fs I'll go ahead and mess around with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom