• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those jeans are Tenue de Nîmes X BIG JOHN, they only sold 24 pieces of it in amsterdam store. According to google the colour is

By reducing the dyeing of the Kaihara fabric by 25%, the factory emphasized the traditional bright blue color that is referred to in Japanese as ‘Ruri’. The color (Lapis lazuli, after a gemstone of intense blue color) is considered one of the seven treasures of Buddhism. The yellow selvage is a tribute to the traditional 1960′s fabric made by Cone Mills.

I really like the colour

Antagon

Those jeans are Tenue de Nîmes X BIG JOHN, they only sold 24 pieces of it in amsterdam store. According to google the colour is

I really like the colour
I dig them as well, but they're going to be expensive even if you can find them. Tenue de Nîmes is a dope store though.

Zekes!

Air Maxs:

jniLONDTNB0A5.jpg

I was having an eh week and these have totally turned that around

Pumpkins

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me an opinion on two outfits (I keep going back and forth due to contrast issues)

Outfit #1 (Pretty dark with little contrast, worried it's too dark overall but I sorta like how it looks. In my room with somewhat dim lighting it's hard to tell the colors apart, but as you can see with the flash it's fairly distinguishable):
qAD9I.jpg

Outfit #2 (Way more contrast added with white details in shirt):
ePRCf.jpg

Which is better/cooler looking in your opinion? Is there a general rule to matching dark shirts with darker pants?

Aegus

Turns out I didn't accrue enough holiday pay to cover my holidays so I'm not able to buy anything in the sales...

I do have a cleared credit card though...

coldvein

Banned
i know im taking crazy pills, but those pink air maxs are an abomination on shoes imo. so clowny. i have an asian friend who is so little that she has to wear kids sized shoes and thats what all her shoes look like. different strokes for different folks i guess.

Zekes!

i know im taking crazy pills, but those pink air maxs are an abomination on shoes imo. so clowny. i have an asian friend who is so little that she has to wear kids sized shoes and thats what all her shoes look like. different strokes for different folks i guess.

The Infrareds are a classic colourway man

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me an opinion on two outfits (I keep going back and forth due to contrast issues)

Outfit #1 (Pretty dark with little contrast, worried it's too dark overall but I sorta like how it looks. In my room with somewhat dim lighting it's hard to tell the colors apart, but as you can see with the flash it's fairly distinguishable):
qAD9I.jpg

Outfit #2 (Way more contrast added with white details in shirt):
ePRCf.jpg

Which is better/cooler looking in your opinion? Is there a general rule to matching dark shirts with darker pants?

I like #1 personally. What kind of watch is that?

Neptune

I agree with you. Those shoes are pure comedy.

Iron it and see what you think (I think it'll look better). If you don't like it ironed, you can always wrinkle it back up.

Also if you wear that tomorrow, hopefully nobody catches you wearing the same outfit two days in a row.

DatDude

Banned
I have a question Manshion GAF.

My grandfather is 89 years old and is looking to change his style (mainly because he's interesting in dating after his wife passed away recently) fashion wise.

He wants to look current, but he doesn't want to look like some old guy whose try to hard? If you get the jist of what I'm saying?

At the same he doesn't want to look like some guy who dresses like he's stuck in the 30's. So any tips?

*picturez*

I like 2 better, but either way you might try tucking your shirt in and putting a nice black belt on. It will make you look adult-ier.

Alucrid

Banned

My grandfather is 89 years old and is looking to change his style (mainly because he's interesting in dating after his wife passed away recently) fashion wise.

He wants to look current, but he doesn't want to look like some old guy whose try to hard? If you get the jist of what I'm saying?

At the same he doesn't want to look like some guy who dresses like he's stuck in the 30's. So any tips?

I honestly have no idea how to help with this. That said if you live for 89 years I feel like it gives you leeway to do whatever the hell you want.

I like 2 better, but either way you might try tucking your shirt in and putting a nice black belt on. It will make you look adult-ier.

Naaaah.

That's a really difficult question but I'll take a stab at it.

I think the key here is to make sure he doesn't dress like someone he's not. Stay away from the real modern/slim cut suits. Stick with traditionally cut suits and shirts (Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, etc). A traditionally cut suit should still fit correctly of course, the largest difference here being that traditional cuts are generally much longer in the jacket length and a bit boxier in the body. Maybe try a double-breasted jacket as well? These were typically reserved for elderly gentlemen before they were made modern.

I think browns usually look good on older men. I'm talking a good deep brown, preferably wool or cashmere, maybe with some faint white chalkstripes? While tweeds are super popular and modern right now, I think when worn by elderly men they tend to make them look more like a university professor than anything else. Plaids can be good though.

Try more pattern mixing. A real easy to mix combination that always turns heads is a plaid shirt with a pindot tie. Start with easy colors like browns and blues and potentially move on from there. It goes without saying but stay away from skinny ties.

Overall, I'd look through Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren catalogs if you can. Those are two quality brands that usually base their products around an older crowd than much of the stuff you'll find out there today and in this thread. Show him some items and see what he says. Hope that helps.

Any idea how Oxford shoes are supposed to fit? I've always been under the impression that the tops should be cinched tight so as not to show any of the under lacings, but I have wide feet and this isn't remotely possible. Also, I've got a good 1.5 inches to the end of the show from where my toe ends, but the sides/heel fit great.

DatDude

Banned
That's a really difficult question but I'll take a stab at it.

I think the key here is to make sure he doesn't dress like someone he's not. Stay away from the real modern/slim cut suits. Stick with traditionally cut suits and shirts (Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, etc). A traditionally cut suit should still fit correctly of course, the largest difference here being that traditional cuts are generally much longer in the jacket length and a bit boxier in the body. Maybe try a double-breasted jacket as well? These were typically reserved for elderly gentlemen before they were made modern.

I think browns usually look good on older men. I'm talking a good deep brown, preferably wool or cashmere, maybe with some faint white chalkstripes? While tweeds are super popular and modern right now, I think when worn by elderly men they tend to make them look more like a university professor than anything else. Plaids can be good though.

Try more pattern mixing. A real easy to mix combination that always turns heads is a plaid shirt with a pindot tie. Start with easy colors like browns and blues and potentially move on from there. It goes without saying but stay away from skinny ties.

Overall, I'd look through Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren catalogs if you can. Those are two quality brands that usually base their products around an older crowd than much of the stuff you'll find out there today and in this thread. Show him some items and see what he says. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advise, will pass it on :)

Pocks

Here's today's outfit for jean day at work. Planning to utilize it for a bday outing for a friend tomorrow. Look alright?

Looks very nice, your best yet imo.

I think the shirt looks fine as is, but it's definitely worth ironing for comparisons' sake.

Also, lose the undershirt or go with a v-neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom