• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I used to really enjoy browsing through Lookbook and Hel Looks, but the whole "scene" feels so much more self aware than a few years back - i.e. distinctive dressing for the camera versus cameras finding someone dressed distinctively - particularly in the major urban and cultural centers. Still, there's merit to the sites and most everyone's style if you treat it like a catwalk, in that there's not a lot of practicality but plenty to take inspiration from.

The Bill Cunningham New York doc on Netflix is such a great look into this world.

Alucrid

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:
I used to really enjoy browsing through Lookbook and Hel Looks, but the whole "scene" feels so much more self aware than a few years back - i.e. distinctive dressing for the camera versus cameras finding someone dressed distinctively - particularly in the major urban and cultural centers. Still, there's merit to the sites and most everyone's style if you treat it like a catwalk, in that there's not a lot of practicality but plenty to take inspiration from.

The Bill Cunningham New York doc on Netflix is such a great look into this world.

Pretty much this.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm thinking of buying this pair of winter boots. I need something high because I'm sick of damaging my pants in the winter because of all the calcium/salt/dirt.

Problem is I can't find them on a Canadian site, so shipping/duties is expensive.

Polo Ralph Lauren Men's Hayward
neeplz.jpg

Draft

Ether_Snake said:
I'm thinking of buying this pair of winter boots. I need something high because I'm sick of damaging my pants in the winter because of all the calcium/salt/dirt.

Problem is I can't find them on a Canadian site, so shipping/duties is expensive.

neeplz.jpg
CP8EL.jpg

Gila

I'm looking to buy my first pea coat, I liked this one that Guess had, but apparently they don't make it anymore. My friend bought it 2 years ago, I'll try and see if I could get a exact name of it and google it

but it looks pretty close to this Kenneth Cole Reaction one, so if you guys know of any good pea coats or any one that looks like this, please post.

Price range is $100 - 300 CAD
Willing to buy online or local (Vancouver)
I like the double breasted, and a good collar
Black only

Ether_Snake said:
Well ok "practically all" is unfounded, but a lot are either photoshoots, or photos of people working in the fashion industry. It's rarely random people. The guy is traveling around the world from fashion shows to fashion shows and meeting up with people from the industry all the time and a LOT of those shots are from those occasions, not just random people. It's not a bad thing, it's just that most of the time there is no explanation of who is in the photo or where it was shot, outside of the city's name. It's a bit misleading IMO. It's like going to the zoo and taking closeup shots of animals, not mentioning you took them at the zoo:p

Lookbook at least is people dressing up specifically to show what they are wearing, so I prefer that. It's closer to "real people" IMO while still being creative. I find it less misleading. Problem is it's mostly kids.

ahah I agree with you on this front. I think street style is getting kinda ridiculous nowadays so I try to avoid looking at those sites.

Gila said:
I'm looking to buy my first pea coat

Why not get an actual vintage peacoat from like WWII or Vietnam or from any of those periods? They're better constructed and the wool will keep you warm from the harshest winters. Plenty appear on eBay and consignment stores for exactly that price range, but here's a website with a great selection

dudeworld

Gila said:
I'm looking to buy my first pea coat, I liked this one that Guess had, but apparently they don't make it anymore. My friend bought it 2 years ago, I'll try and see if I could get a exact name of it and google it

but it looks pretty close to this Kenneth Cole Reaction one, so if you guys know of any good pea coats or any one that looks like this, please post.

http://i.minus.com/ibAXz6Hb7jDoy.jpg

Price range is $100 - 300 CAD
Willing to buy online or local (Vancouver)
I like the double breasted, and a good collar
Black only

from way back somewhere in this thread:

OMXtzl.jpg

me in an $80, black peacoat at H&M. I didn't buy only because I've already got a different one. Someone else in this thread bought it shortly after I posted the picture so if you seriously consider it, you may want to ask him what he thinks of it so far. I thought it was pretty nice. I've got on size small and it fit perfectly

ianp622

Ether_Snake said:

neeplz.jpg
You can get the Tavin rollovers on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XG2DW2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got the brown ones during the Columbus day sale. They run a little bigger than sneakers (although I've always found that true for boots). You can unfold them and they still look good.

dudeworld said:
from way back somewhere in this thread:

OMXtzl.jpg

me in an $80, black peacoat at H&M. I didn't buy only because I've already got a different one. Someone else in this thread bought it shortly after I posted the picture so if you seriously consider it, you may want to ask him what he thinks of it so far. I thought it was pretty nice. I've got on size small and it fit perfectly
That was me who bought it. I'm loving it so far but the weather in Houston isn't cold enough yet for me to wear. I picked up the grey one and will post a pic once I get home.

Alucrid

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

http://i53.tinypic.com/neeplz.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43351?feat=33549-ppxs&dds=y[/url]

These are classic and don't make it look like you're into black metal or something. I like the Tan/Brown.

[URL=http://imgur.com/0blKQ][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0blKQl.jpg[/URL]

Oyashiro

Hey guys, I needed some casual shoes and I read on a lot of fashion boards that everyone should have some basic white shoes, so I purchased these Vans online. What do you think?

6247461714_1e3e4b3997_z.jpg

6246938847_080d2b4291_z.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
wenis said:
Nice belt...where may i purchase that at by chance?

It's from Corter leather. It's natural leather though so it'll come in a pinkish skin color and end up in a dark brown.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Very good stuff IMO. Can't really go wrong with those.

Yep, vans are vans. Not much to go wrong there.

adam.chance

Neo Member
Thank you to everyone that weighed in on my question about spending $100 on getting my jacket tailored. It looked like he did a lot of work on it and the jacket fits really well now. I feel a lot better about myself when I where it, so it was worth the money. Hopefully, I can find a job that will pay me well enough, so that I can continue updating my wardrobe. I just realized some of my dress shirts are from when I was a freshman in highschool! Currently, I am in my third year of law school.

Detox

I need recommendations for business casual wear, I feel stupid but I have never had to dress. myself in this style until now. Any kind of clothes I have worn in this style has either been school uniforms or for occasions when I was too young to pick so my parents would. I'm around 1.75m and 65kg so any kind advice as to what I should be looking for would be welcome ranging from more general styles to specific stores I should visit in the UK.

Visceir

Eric WK said:
Yeah, that looks great. How much were the tailoring charges, Visceir?

"had it been anyone else I would have told them to fuck off long ago" - My mom

Shes a tailor.

I bought her dinner :D

Cedeo

Cosmic Bus said:
Hoping these chinos end up fitting as slim as the stock photo (if not moreso), but if not, I guess that's why Asos has free returns. Last time I bought "skinny" chinos from Urban Outfitters, they ended up being so loose and baggy on my child-size frame. :(

P6aTj.jpg

I have these. You need to wear them a little higher up on your waist and they're fine. They're a little more brown than in that photo.

Visceir

I'd go with the first one. Not sure how they will look on a bigger area but I'd try to avoid anything that would even remotely look like a tribal pattern.

Edit: anything animal pattern is usually pretty bad too.

Visceir said:
so a finally got my jacket and it was much too short and wide for me, took it to a tailor and had it make slimmer and...longer. Here is the end result:

I'm happy with the end result but I don't plan to order from there again.

This is too good

Gila

Visceir said:
so a finally got my jacket and it was much too short and wide for me, took it to a tailor and had it make slimmer and...longer. Here is the end result:

DSC_0878-1.jpg
DSC_0870.jpg

and this is what it looked like before I had it tailored:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/gotty_02/DSC_0823crop.jpg

I'm happy with the end result but I don't plan to order from there again.
Man, I'm so blind and I'm so newb to fashion

but other than the little belt thing attached at the bottom, what's so different between the before/after?

I apologize in advance for these novice questions, as you can see I don't know shit

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Time to hop on board the trend train, guys!

New York Times: Some men are dressed to the nines (the height of their pumps).

“I wish society was more acceptable of men wearing heels,” Mr. Paice said. “I think it’s fun. I think it makes a statement.”

Mr. Alexander cited reasons for wearing high heels many women have known since they were invented: “It’s a power thing. You’re higher than everybody else. You make more sound. You walk a different way. It makes your legs look better.”

He added: “I don’t ever take them off. I even drive in them — stick shift.”

dudeworld

Gila said:

but other than the little belt thing attached at the bottom, what's so different between the before/after?

I apologize in advance for these novice questions, as you can see I don't know shit

in the original pic, the jacket looks quite boxy. The body is very square. In the new pic, the body of the jacket is more curved and fitted. Also in the original, the jacket ends above the belt line, while in the new pic the jacket seems to end right under the belt line

those are the two things I noticed

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Every time I click this thread, I get a "Malicious URL Blocked" popup from my virus protector. Only this thread too. Anyone know what's up?

dudeworld

someone's hosting a photo on min.us, who have been having "virus" problems lately. Not sure if they're actual viruses or just false alarms by the virus scanner

Gila said:

As dudeworld said, the jacket was boxy in the first iteration. Now, the jacket follows the silhouette of its wearer, giving him a more appealing form (the V shape). That's really what you're going for with clothes: to emphasize the good things about your body.

Also, I do not like the high heel thing at all. Fuck fashion.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Lately I have been really trying to find my own style and having difficulty with it. I've always been a "logo tee, jeans, and baseball cap" type of guy and I'm slowly trying to "grow up" my look a bit.

A few months back I finally got some new glasses and they are thicker framed black Armani frames. They don't go well with baseball caps, but that was kind of the point, as I wanted to force myself to find some new stuff.

I bought a few plain colored American Eagle tees, as I am liking plain colors now and they look good. Only problem is I don't know what else to get. It would be kind of odd for me to just start wearing khakis or something over to friends places and out and about so I kind of want to stick with jeans (outside of work). Any suggestions for a more grown up look with it still being casual? Take note that I am in Iowa, so we may not have some stores you do. Also, I don't have a huge budget.

Here's a reference pic of me and the glasses I got. Never mind the color effect. :p

CJ%252520color.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Deadly Cyclone said:
Lately I have been really trying to find my own style and having difficulty with it. I've always been a "logo tee, jeans, and baseball cap" type of guy and I'm slowly trying to "grow up" my look a bit.

A few months back I finally got some new glasses and they are thicker framed black Armani frames. They don't go well with baseball caps, but that was kind of the point, as I wanted to force myself to find some new stuff.

I bought a few plain colored American Eagle tees, as I am liking plain colors now and they look good. Only problem is I don't know what else to get. It would be kind of odd for me to just start wearing khakis or something over to friends places and out and about so I kind of want to stick with jeans (outside of work). Any suggestions for a more grown up look with it still being casual? Take note that I am in Iowa, so we may not have some stores you do. Also, I don't have a huge budget.

Here's a reference pic of me and the glasses I got. Never mind the color effect. :p

Every man should own some good quality high heels, so you should start there.

soco

help gaf.

i want some colorful sweaters preferably light but i could swing either way.

orange, green, red/pink, yellow, etc.

where can i find a good selction of such sweaters?

Deadly Cyclone said:
Any suggestions for a more grown up look with it still being casual? Take note that I am in Iowa, so we may not have some stores you do. Also, I don't have a huge budget.

The next step should be wearing Oxford Button Downs, but if you're hesitant towards khakis then I guess it really depends on you. A grown up and casual look has always been achieved with OCBDs and khaki chinos. The most important thing is fit though. Clothes shouldn't be all loose around you and they shouldn't be very tight either

EDIT:
soco said:
help gaf.

Price range?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
latinlikeaviolin said:
That's really what you're going for with clothes: to emphasize the good things about your body.

Also, I do not like the high heel thing at all. Fuck fashion.

:eek:

Mr. Alexander cited reasons for wearing high heels ... "It makes your legs look better."

:O

I may be short, but my legs are fuggin' great. I should get some cherry red pumps for my birthday this weekend!

soco said:

You might check Uniqlo's site and/or call the NYC store? They're woefully behind the times not having an online shop, but they're apparently pretty helpful and will ship things that are in stock at the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom