• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
latinlikeaviolin said:
The next step should be wearing Oxford Button Downs, but if you're hesitant towards khakis then I guess it really depends on you. A grown up and casual look has always been achieved with OCBDs and khaki chinos. The most important thing is fit though. Clothes shouldn't be all loose around you and they shouldn't be very tight either

EDIT:

Price range?
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a few AE button up shorts now and like them, I will look into yours as they are probably a bit better than AE. the khaki thing I may be able to get over, it just seems odd putting on some khakis to go chill and watch football or something. :p

Maybe I'll wear some out when I have drinks or something as a start.

Cosmic Bus said:
:eek:

Mr. Alexander cited reasons for wearing high heels ... "It makes your legs look better."

:O

I may be short, but my legs are fuggin' great. I should get some cherry red pumps for my birthday this weekend!

LOL, he's got me there. Gonna get some all black pumps just cause I'm classy like that!

Eric WK

Deadly Cyclone said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a few AE button up shorts now and like them, I will look into yours as they are probably a bit better than AE. the khaki thing I may be able to get over, it just seems odd putting on some khakis to go chill and watch football or something. :p

Maybe I'll wear some out when I have drinks or something as a start.

What jeans do you wear now?

Introductory raw/dry denim or, failing that, a quality Levi's fit would go a hell of a long way if you're wearing a mall brand now or something.

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/gtbv4/a_notsoquick_denim_guide/

and

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426620

should get you started.

soco

Cosmic Bus said:
You might check Uniqlo's site and/or call the NYC store? They're woefully behind the times not having an online shop, but they're apparently pretty helpful and will ship things that are in stock at the store.

those are some awesome ones. will have to try and call this week. THanks!

soco said:
let's say under 200$ i'd like to get quite a few so even cheaper would be better.

Uniqlo is selling cashmere sweaters for like $60. The website only lists like 9 colours, but I think they're supposed to be 20. Check the women's section for more colours I guess. You can use suddenlee.com to buy from Uniqlo and have it shipped to your place if you don't live in New York. Other than that, maybe check J. Crew, LL. Bean, Land's End Canvas, Rugby, Polo, and other usual suspects.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'll play along with WIWT despite my blah camera:

Image10172011123830.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Those Aztec-style print shirts are already littering clearance racks everywhere, and rightfully so. Keep shopping.

The browish/burgundy pants and Nike shoes would be my preferences.

Cosmic Bus said:
Those Aztec-style print shirts are already littering clearance racks everywhere, and rightfully so. Keep shopping.

The browish/burgundy pants and Nike shoes would be my preferences.

They're actually supposed to be Fair Isle style prints.

Thanks for the suggestions though, and abunai as well.

LordCanti

Bungieware said:
If you could pick one, which would you go for?

The shirts aren't my thing, but I wouldn't mind the middle top, and bottom pair of pants. As for the shoes, middle top I guess. I'm not much for white soled shoes though (unless it's a thin sole).

so those Robert Wayne shoes arrived today. They got the size wrong, but I think I might have ordered a half-size too big anyway. Also, they're much pointier than I thought they would be.

LordCanti said:
The shirts aren't my thing, but I wouldn't mind the middle top, and bottom pair of pants. As for the shoes, middle top I guess. I'm not much for white soled shoes though (unless it's a thin sole).

I'm a student, so I swing more towards casual rather than smart. I try to enjoy a nice blend of both though. I am trying to find a nice pair of brogues at the moment.

bob page

thezerofire said:
so those Robert Wayne shoes arrived today. They got the size wrong, but I think I might have ordered a half-size too big anyway. Also, they're much pointier than I thought they would be.
I got them today, too. Love the design, but they are a bit more pointed on the front that I was expecting. Because of this, I probably should have ordered a half-size up.
Cosmic Bus said:
I'll play along with WIWT despite my blah camera:

Image10172011123830.jpg
Link to those shoes?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yeah, they're about the color of dark chocolate in person. Going back a few pages, I just noticed these are very similar to the ones wenis bought recently, but mine aren't suede.

I can't wait for January to get here with my student loans so I can irresponsibly spend a chunk of it on new clothes, heh. I haven't been able to afford much of anything this year.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Can anyone here recommend me a nice wallet? The only kind I like are what I guess is the "billfold" style. I am looking for something that is real leather (the more light brown-red color), and very simple. If I can not find anything better, I am going with the one in the link below. Trying to keep the price under $30.

http://goo.gl/o14ME

Sean2 said:
Can anyone here recommend me a nice wallet? The only kind I like are what I guess is the "billfold" style. I am looking for something that is real leather (the more light brown-red color), and very simple. If I can not find anything better, I am going with the one in the link below. Trying to keep the price under $30.

If you put the price up a bit more, I would have recommended Chester Mox, but then again, their bifolds kinda cost a lot.

Edit: They also have a website. I'm not sure if it works anymore, but if you add a note saying you found them on "Die! Workwear" they will give you a 15% discount

LuCkymoON

Banned
Sean2 said:

I recommend Saddleback Leather Co wallets. I have a bifold medium size thats almost a year old. The leather is aging nicely, it still smells like leather and the dye is high quality.
If you buy one, I would suggest to get it without the pigskin lining.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
LuCkymoON said:
I recommend Saddleback Leather Co wallets. I have a bifold medium size thats almost a year old. The leather is aging nicely, it still smells like leather and the dye is high quality.
If you buy one, I would suggest to get it without the pigskin lining.

Wow! They really get deep into how it is made, and the quality! I think I will make my purchase here. My whole aim for buying a leather wallet was to get it from one of those high quality mom and pop stores, and this looks closest to what I wanted.

Alucrid

Banned
Sean2 said:

Tanner Goods brah. It's a beauty to watch its evolution.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Ehhh a little too avant garde with the epaulets and curved everything.

I'd suggest a ToJ if you want something that'll last you for a long while.

Enron

Banned
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo JCrew started running a 25% off and free shipping coupon yesterday and I didnt see it till now.

Every single Alden is sold out except for the Cordovan chukkas.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Enron said:
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo JCrew started running a 25% off and free shipping coupon yesterday and I didnt see it till now.

Every single Alden is sold out except for the Cordovan chukkas.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

they refunded 25% of my blazer price because of this sale. really nice.

Rocksteady33

Was just browsing the Seiko watch website, and noticed their new upcoming Grand Seiko collection. Holy Hannah do they look nice. Way out my price range ($2,000+) but goddamn.

SBGX065.jpg

5532495901_d1d6b08254.jpg

Eric WK

Alucrid said:
I have pretty piss poor taste when it comes to watches. My mind is usually just "yep. That's a watch."

Yeah, I don't know the first thing about differentiating between high end watches so I just go as simple as possible. But with the number of compliments I've gotten on my $25 Timex Easy Reader, I'll stick with that and spend my money on what are, in my opinion, more important items.

bob page

Eric WK said:
Yeah, I don't know the first thing about differentiating between high end watches so I just go as simple as possible. But with the number of compliments I've gotten on my $25 Timex Easy Reader, I'll stick with that and spend my money on what are, in my opinion, more important items.
Speaking of Timex, their Weekender is pretty slick (for $28). Good for a casual cheap-o watch:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VR9I4C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Eric WK said:

seriously. i have two casio watches that--i am not kidding--get noticed every time i am out. the most expensive one is a $20 calculator watch. the other one is a regular old casio silver with a stretchy band. i have had $100 watches that never get any nods whatsoever.

bob page

beelzebozo said:
my friend has a watch somewhat like that skagen he also gets tons of compliments on. that thing is super sharp. love it.
Yeah, it's incredibly thin. Probably the thinnest watch I've ever seen. Pictures really don't do it justice.

Doytch

I like the weekender as a second or third watch. That's what I bought it as, though I wear it a tonne now. I got a clean white face with black dial/digits, and I've got a black leather band that you can even slightly dress up or down, along with blue&green and red&khaki NATO straps. eBay is boss for NATO straps.

It's a nice way to add some extra color to your look, especially if you're reluctant to wear bolder colors in your actual clothes.

Visceir

Feels weird to see you talking about watches as I just bought one today. Guess you can put me in the category who are content with €20.- watches. Don't see a point in spending thousands of dollars on one.

Also got a pair of new shoes, from €75.- down to €33.-, couldn't resist.
DSC_0906.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Watches always made my wrists break out into a weird rash...not sure why. They look sort of cool, but I think they they're sort of outdated.

fat pat

Just picked up my first pair of serious boots. Got some Red Wing 8138's for fall/winter/spring use around chicago. Sneakers and desert boots werent gonna cut it this season.

First day wearing em and jesus these things are stiff. Gonna take some wearing to soften these guys up.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
fat pat said:
Just picked up my first pair of serious boots. Got some Red Wing 8138's for fall/winter/spring use around chicago. Sneakers and desert boots werent gonna cut it this season.

First day wearing em and jesus these things are stiff. Gonna take some wearing to soften these guys up.

Kick things

dudeworld

I don't really like that jacket but the shirt and jeans are cool. btw is your hair in a pony tail or something?

also i have that ikea chair but in white

Alucrid

Banned
dudeworld said:
I don't really like that jacket but the shirt and jeans are cool. btw is your hair in a pony tail or something?

also i have that ikea chair but in white

Yeah, the sweep is 21.5" which is about 1.5 bigger than what I usually want. Probably going to return it. Hair is just in a knot in the back.

RJNavarrete said:
What brand are those jeans?

Pure Blue Japan xx007

Also, ignore the wrinkled shirt. I just took it out of the packaging to try on lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom