• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Afternoon gentlemen.

So, I need to get a pair of braces or suspenders for a pair of trousers. Can anyone explain how these work please?

Will I need to attach extra buttons to the trousers to make braces work?

Zekes!

WAYWT untucked shirt edition w/ pink tie and camo edition (hopefully this works as I'm posting from my phone remix):

jf8iu8pwjhUkw.jpg

Guys, I'm washing an old pair of Naked & Famous Indigos for the first time today. Any ideas/recommendations for last minute ways to tamper with them in hopes of some interesting fades?

No, I'm not going to pee on them.

WAYWT untucked shirt edition w/ pink tie and camo edition (hopefully this works as I'm posting from my phone remix):
That's hot, loves those jeans. Good color combo too. Makes me want to wear my camos right now.

I still maintain the position that this outfit would look better with your shirt tucked in though. I won't give up.

Zekes!

Those Naked & Famous?

Yup.
Shirt and jeans: Naked & Famous
Blazer and tie: Club Monaco
Shoes: Rokin
Trench coat: I forget honestly

That's hot, loves those jeans. Good color combo too. Makes me want to wear my camos right now.

I still maintain the position that this outfit would look better with your shirt tucked in though. I won't give up.

I thought about it this morning haha. But ultimately decided to keep it untucked

Heres are the jeans. I could have put a none blured pic up but It was too early and I realized I probably shouldnt have got a grade one so high up on the sides of my head... Oh well it will look good in a week haha
AF9g1zY.jpg

Pretty sure I need to take them up? or get alot better with rolling.. I cant eem to wear them with my boots in a way that looks right?

YVV81lP.jpg

Too used to blue 511s rolled up an inch or so to around where the ankle is in the boots.

Edit: After posting this and thinking about it I realize im pretty much saying do I look ok in black jeans?
which is kind of absurd when I think about it and its slightly embarrassing.
How can a colour of leg wear conflict me so much.

It is a subconscious form of procrastination to stop you tidying up.

:( We got up earlier to go catch Wreck it Ralph! Its spotless now I swear.
My gfs house has no proper full length mirror and most of the rooms have awful lighting for what mirrors they do have. Proper nightmare getting a halfwaydecent photo I tell you.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's fucking cold out. I'm wearing my hoodie. You can enjoy your manshion.

There are types of clothes that exist to keep you warm that aren't hoodies.

Not all hoodies are bad. I got a graphic one that I like

This too.

Long sleeve shirts, sweaters, scarves, gloves and well fitted trenchcoats.

This.

In fact I don't own any hoodies that could keep me properly warm in the cold.

Get a pea coat or something and look like an adult.

... nobody wears a hoodie under a peacoat?

kaskade

Cable knit sweaters rock. I think my favorite item is my navy cable knit cardigan. Wish it would warm up a tad so I can wear it again.

Are you required to wear a button up under a sweater? Part of the reason I never get any, looks really uncomfortable. 3 shirts on.

No. But in general layers helps some people. Under my trench coat when it's really cold I tend to wear a sweater over another long sleeve shirt. The shirt closest to the skin in that pic looks like a thermal.

Pocks

... nobody wears a hoodie under a peacoat?

I do, and I think it looks great when I'm trying to dress it down.

My pea coat is charcoal, and the hoodie is a light gray and deep burgundy. Paired with a scarf it looks nice. I think the scarf is a necessity, otherwise the zip or the strings on the hoodie stick out like a sore thumb.

EDIT: I will say I'm not having any luck finding a picture of a good hoodie+pea coat combo, but I'm finding plenty of bad examples.
KuGsj.gif

lupin23rd

I do, and I think it looks great when I'm trying to dress it down.

My pea coat is charcoal, and the hoodie is a light gray and deep burgundy. Paired with a scarf it looks nice. I think the scarf is a necessity, otherwise the zip or the strings on the hoodie stick out like a sore thumb.

EDIT: I will say I'm not having any luck finding a picture of a good hoodie+pea coat combo, but I'm finding plenty of bad examples.
KuGsj.gif

I think the peacoat and hoody look is fine, but I'm curious about the scarf and hoodie look. In principle I think this should work but the one time I tried it, it didn't turn out very well lol

Kraftwerk

Looking for something like this;

This one is made by Ghurkha. It's a small carry on leather duffel bag. Minimalist and sleek....but it starts at $1000. Willing to spend up to $400-$500 on a bag.

Help a fellow manshionista :)

Ghurkha Cavalier

EVOL 100%

Where do you live lol?

Korea. It's the go-to outfit for schoolkids for some reason. I admit that that alone is a bit of a silly reason to dismiss it, but it just looks bad anyway.

are you older/younger than 18?

20. I used to do it myself a few years ago. Then I started wearing dress shirts or the occasional turtleneck. For the record, I do like hoodies and I wear them. Not with suit jackets or coats though.

Do whatever you feel is right though, it's your own wardrobe. Just not my cup of tea.

20. I used to do it myself a few years ago. Then I started wearing dress shirts or the occasional turtleneck. For the record, I do like hoodies and I wear them. Not with suit jackets or coats though.
Do whatever you feel is right though, it's your own wardrobe. Just not my cup of tea.

i have a friend that's been teaching english in korea for a few years, the pics he posts of the area and nightlife on his fb are crazy.

i think the hoodie/blazer combo is kind of a played out style, more than an age thing. i think it really trended in like 04-06 (i did this a lot in my first couple years of college) and i think it's starting to wear its course.

wearing a hoodie under a regular jacket or coat is still functional for layering, and i do it from time to time when i feel like dressing more casual. i think it still looks good under a trucker or denim jacket.

EVOL 100%

i think the hoodie/blazer combo is kind of a played out style, more than an age thing. i think it really trended in like 04-06 (i did this a lot in my first couple years of college) and i think it's starting to wear its course.

wearing a hoodie under a regular jacket or coat is still functional for layering, and i do it from time to time when i feel like dressing more casual. i think it still looks good under a trucker or denim jacket.

Hmm, interesting. I was too young to be interested in fashion back then, maybe you're right.

Younger kids do seem to enjoy wearing hoodies under blazers these days though. They share the stigma of duffle coats or padded jackets from North Face here, everybody wears them over their uniforms when they're in (j)hs, so they became some kind of de facto school uniform. You end up looking like a schoolkid when you wear them.

Now, putting all that beside, I agree that it's a functional combination, I just don't think that it's a good look in terms of aesthetics when you combine hoodies with more formal clothing. Looks kind of half-assed imo. I agree that they can look good under truckers or denim jackets.. just not peacoats.

Ice 9

Banned
Well explains the age and frequency thing if you're in Korealand.

I prefer the peacoat style without a hoodie underneath, more sophisticated and simply just cooler.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'm looking for a charcoal or black wool sweater, preferably with v-neck (but not too much v-neck) with zero labels/brand elements. I'd figure it'd be so thoroughly generic/staple that H&M/Zara wouldn't dissapoint me but alas, they did. Anyone know where I should look? I barely every buy stuff online.

overcast

Could somebody give me advice as to how to wear a button up under a sweater properly? Like tie and no tie? Maybe some example pics. I feel like I can't really rock it, but I may just be a fool.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So if I were to start wanting to find a sweater/button up combo for work where would I look? I have no idea what colors to pair for that or where makes good sweaters for a decent price.

Someone school me on matching sweaters with button ups and pants (color-wise) and where to get everything.

Alucrid

Banned
So if I were to start wanting to find a sweater/button up combo for work where would I look? I have no idea what colors to pair for that or where makes good sweaters for a decent price.

Someone school me on matching sweaters with button ups and pants (color-wise) and where to get everything.

Eh, I think the best way to learn might be to just surf the web for pictures and see what looks good and what doesn't (and if you can't parse this then see what others think looks good and what doesn't) and then go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom