• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could somebody give me advice as to how to wear a button up under a sweater properly? Like tie and no tie? Maybe some example pics. I feel like I can't really rock it, but I may just be a fool.
Are you looking for color combinations or just general advice? If it's the latter I suppose my response to Cyclone is applicable to you too.

So if I were to start wanting to find a sweater/button up combo for work where would I look? I have no idea what colors to pair for that or where makes good sweaters for a decent price.

Someone school me on matching sweaters with button ups and pants (color-wise) and where to get everything.
Alucrid is right, just browsing the internet until you find combinations you like is a great way of coming up with ideas. It'd be hard for me to recommend certain color combinations because our styles and preferences are undoubtedly different.

With that said, grey is a great color to start with. The nice thing about a grey sweater is that it will literally go with anything/everything in your wardrobe outside of more grey. Beyond that, blues are very popular choices, as are browns. I'd stay away from patterns until you feel more comfortable with sweaters in general. J. Crew makes a lot of good relatively affordable sweaters that you can find year round, you might try looking there.

overcast

Are you looking for color combinations or just general advice? If it's the latter I suppose my response to Cyclone is applicable to you too.
Was your advice to tuck in the shirt and everything? Haha. I only have 3 sweaters currently (Maroon v-neck, Black, Green). I guess color combos can definitely help.

Pocks

Alucrid is right, just browsing the internet until you find combinations you like is a great way of coming up with ideas. It'd be hard for me to recommend certain color combinations because our styles and preferences are undoubtedly different.

With that said, grey is a great color to start with. The nice thing about a grey sweater is that it will literally go with anything/everything in your wardrobe outside of more grey. Beyond that, blues are very popular choices, as are browns. I'd stay away from patterns until you feel more comfortable with sweaters in general. J. Crew makes a lot of good relatively affordable sweaters that you can find year round, you might try looking there.

unless your name is macuser
KuGsj.gif

Joe

How do you guys feel about Vans? I honestly like their styles a lot and I like that they're all in an affordable price range but I hate thir stupid logo on the back of the shoe. It's a deal breaker for me. Am I being crazy? Any comparable alternatives?

Alucrid

Banned
How do you guys feel about Vans? I honestly like their styles a lot and I like that they're all in an affordable price range but I hate thir stupid logo on the back of the shoe. It's a deal breaker for me. Am I being crazy? Any comparable alternatives?

They're fine for what you get. Some styles I like more than others. If you want "baller vans" common projects has some models in a simialr design.

I'm 4/5ths grey today. Grey boots, black pants, grey shirt, grey coat, grey scarf. Awwww yeaaah.

Was your advice to tuck in the shirt and everything? Haha. I only have 3 sweaters currently (Maroon v-neck, Black, Green). I guess color combos can definitely help.
Yeah I'm the guy trying to hammer home tucking in your shirt, which I believe is equally important with sweaters. Very few people wear that "shirt-just-came-untucked-after-a-long-day-of-work-look" well anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of black sweaters, I think grey looks better in almost every instance you can pair black with. Maroon is a great color, which I think looks great with any from the monochromatic scale. Depending on your shade of green, I think it can look great with blues, brown can also be done but it's much trickier to pull off.

Really just mix and match until you find stuff you like. Some of my best outfits are ones I put together in a pinch and realize after awhile they work really well together. Never know till you try.

unless your name is macuser
KuGsj.gif
Truth.

overcast

Yeah I'm the guy trying to hammer home tucking in your shirt, which I believe is equally important with sweaters. Very few people wear that "shirt-just-came-untucked-after-a-long-day-of-work-look" well anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of black sweaters, I think grey looks better in almost every instance you can pair black with. Maroon is a great color, which I think looks great with any from the monochromatic scale. Depending on your shade of green, I think it can look great with blues, brown can also be done but it's much trickier to pull off.

Really just mix and match until you find stuff you like. Some of my best outfits are ones I put together in a pinch and realize after awhile they work really well together. Never know till you try.
Yeah, I love throwing together an outfit that works. Thanks for the advice. I always tuck shirts in under sweaters, but I don't really do it with my plaids or most button ups matter of fact. Just dress shirts and dress pants.

Sometimes I feel like I am too young to pull off certain looks though.

Ice 9

Banned

Different ways to interpret this, but it brings up a general question I'd like to ask you all.

Do you like logos on your clothes? Yes or No? And why?

When price range isn't ridiculous I really like logos on pieces around the top left part of the chest (ex. my avatar) Really nice accents for polos, cardigans, etc.

For example Comme Des Garcon PLAY's heart with eyes logo is really visually interesting and I like it's look on clothing items. Another example is Supreme's logo pictured here in the Comme Des Garcon SHIRT x Supreme collection. Logo is backwards too which is fun stuff.

Wonder cause some people hate logos with an revengeance.

Another sample of different logo offerings from A&F, from on bottom of flannel tab, upper left chest, and plastered across the whole chest.

Spring is right around the corner where I live. I wonder what I should buy, oxford shirts are the only thing I could think of.
Oxfords are always good. If you can find yourself a nice muted-pink color that'd be perfect. Maybe get yourself a denim jacket if you don't own one already?

Now that I have some extra muscle I'm going to try some scoop necks this Spring. It may be short lived but I'm feeling adventurous.

Oxfords are always good. If you can find yourself a nice muted-pink color that'd be perfect. Maybe get yourself a denim jacket if you don't own one already?

Now that I have some extra muscle I'm going to try some scoop necks this Spring. It may be short lived but I'm feeling adventurous.

You should already know I got a muted pink shirt and salmon red and some kind of washed out purple. It's how I like to roll. I respect denim jackets but I just don't think they're for me. I also got plenty of tee's already but will probably get more.

I'm mostly looking at black/white button down oxfords since I don't have them.

Also, congrats on the muscles man.

Generally, my rule is to avoid logos all together. I don't like rubbing into people's face the various brands I wear. My outfits should be fashionable and visually appealing for the actual fashion, not the brands that they are from.

You should already know I got a muted pink shirt and salmon red and some kind of washed out purple. It's how I like to roll. I respect denim jackets but I just don't think they're for me. I also got plenty of tee's already but will probably get more.

I'm mostly looking at black/white button down oxfords since I don't have them.

Also, congrats on the muscles man.
Thanks, dude. Still a long ways to go fitness-wise but I'm happy with the direction it's going in.

Sounds like you've got a nice color palette ready to go. Surprised you're not into denim jackets, I consider them a fashion staple and something all men should have in their wardrobe. At the very least, you own a few denim/chambray shirts, right? That might actually be a better move for Spring where you're located. I think floral oxfords/dress shirts are going to be hot this Spring and I'm trying to get my hands on a few. You might try looking into some patterns as well. Spring color plaid looks striking.

What I'm really excited for is to start wearing sunglasses again though.

MegalonJJ

Banned
For the gentleman looking for (charcoal?) v-necks and anyone looking for good quality knitwear with no logos, John Smedley is simply Godlike.

Also, does no one have any tips re braces/suspenders? I think I'll need to sew some buttons to the inner waistband of my trousers, because clasp-grip is simply unacceptable.

Anyone a fan of tweed blazers/trousers? (Worsted wool....so comfortable in winter).

I honestly know nothing about suspenders otherwise I'd help you out.

Big fan of tweed though. That's the one thing I'm not looking forward to Spring/Summer about is putting my tweed stuff away.

MegalonJJ

Banned
How do you dress/use your tweed?

Do you rock the suit (blazer with trousers) or mix them (i.e. blazer with jeans/different trousers. Then for example, the trousers with a (mock) roll neck with a different blazer/coat)

It's a great material.

Also, do you like (micro) houndstooth? I like herringbone too, but I find it edges too close to formal with dem lines :)

Herringbone is good. Not crazy about houndstooth, but I've definitely seen it pulled off. I guess I've just had a bad experience in that I impulsively bought a houndstooth blazer a few years back and now it's somewhere on the Goodwill rack. Just didn't work for me.

I don't own a full tweed suit yet, though it's on my ever-growing list of things I need to own at some point in my life. As of now I have a tweed blazer and some trousers that I just mix and match with various things here and there. The blazer is my favorite though, I wear it with everything.

Zekes!

I like the classic Vans Authentic Lo. I have them in a couple different colours (denim-y blue and grey). After hi-top Converse Chuck Taylor's they've become my go to for cheap sneakers.

As for logos, they're fine if they're clean and simple or subtle. I don't usually rock them on shirts and the like, but the Vans logo on the back of their shoe? I'm fine with that.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I prefer micro-houndstooth to regular houndstooth. I definitely understand the desirability issue with regular houndstooth (I think I'd need to be a little older to rock it on a Hounds Of The Baskervills godtier level).

coldvein

Banned
love vans myself, wore many, many a pair. its been a long while .. but i may go back some day.

will be going to da vans store tomorrow, looking for a certain flannel ...

MegalonJJ

Banned
Also some advice, if I'm wearing grey trousers and brown derbies, what would be the best colour pullover to wear? (I'm thinking a dark brown).

Yeah, Zekes is 100% right, any of those would look solid. For whatever reason Forest Green was actually the first color that jumped into my head so maybe try going with that?

lucky, whats your current workout routine?
It's just a 3-day split. Monday; Chest, Shoulders, Triceps. Wednesday; Legs. Friday; Back, Biceps. Usually about 15-20 total sets of assorted exercises, mostly heavy lifting now as I'm trying to add weight. I can give you more details next time I see you.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Cheers guys.

Yeah the forest green sounds good. (I should mention the brown derbies are a cognac colour brown).

What about a dark blue roll neck with the grey trousers & cognac derbies?

Outfit posting time! I always find it so interesting to see what other people are wearing, so I might as well help simmer that pot a little, so to speak.

8426043538_571076221f_z.jpg

8424952769_315db50eaa_z.jpg

Cardigan- Marni (softest cashmere I've ever felt. If you need a cashmere cardigan, Marni is the way to go).

Shirt- Velvet

Jeans- Edwin (again)

Boots- Marsell

badbrains

Hey, I'm new to this so bare with me. What advice would you give someone who is currently going through a weight loss transition but cannot fit in their old, bigger clothes anymore either? I'm tired of wearing "temporary clothing" to class, even going in sweatpants, hoodies and run down sneakers from the gym. My old clothes do not fit anymore, I weighed 310 pounds and I am now at 230 so there is a huge difference in sizes. Any cheap online stores you can recommend?

Hey, I'm new to this so bare with me. What advice would you give someone who is currently going through a weight loss transition but cannot fit in their old, bigger clothes anymore either? I'm tired of wearing "temporary clothing" to class, even going in sweatpants, hoodies and run down sneakers from the gym. My old clothes do not fit anymore, I weighed 310 pounds and I am now at 230 so there is a huge difference in sizes. Any cheap online stores you can recommend?

How tall are you?

I'm 6'4", so if your tall you don't have many options at all

Swig_

Can anyone recommend any stores that offer affordable business casual clothes? Key word is affordable. I just got a new office job and actually have to dress well from now on. This means I'll be buying a good amount of business casual type clothing. I have a few decent shirts, but they're mostly darker in color (the kind of stuff you'd wear to a club) and I'm not sure how much of it would be suitable for an office.

Affordable means maybe $20-30 for a shirt, hopefully under $50 for a pair of pants. I'm kind of a cheap-ass and I have to buy a fair amount of clothing to get started. I really like the look of the express producer/photographer pants, but I'm afraid they won't stand up to daily wear, plus they're really pricey. I have a few items from express and while I love the fit/style, they really feel like they would wear out way too quickly, considering the price. I'm tall and slim (about 6'2/170).

Any suggestions? Preferably local shops so I can try things on before buying.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
For the gentleman looking for (charcoal?) v-necks and anyone looking for good quality knitwear with no logos, John Smedley is simply Godlike.

Also, does no one have any tips re braces/suspenders? I think I'll need to sew some buttons to the inner waistband of my trousers, because clasp-grip is simply unacceptable.

Anyone a fan of tweed blazers/trousers? (Worsted wool....so comfortable in winter).

Thanks, I think there's something for me in their collection.

Zekes!

Can anyone recommend any stores that offer affordable business casual clothes? Key word is affordable. I just got a new office job and actually have to dress well from now on. This means I'll be buying a good amount of business casual type clothing. I have a few decent shirts, but they're mostly darker in color (the kind of stuff you'd wear to a club) and I'm not sure how much of it would be suitable for an office.

Affordable means maybe $20-30 for a shirt, hopefully under $50 for a pair of pants. I'm kind of a cheap-ass and I have to buy a fair amount of clothing to get started. I really like the look of the express producer/photographer pants, but I'm afraid they won't stand up to daily wear, plus they're really pricey. I have a few items from express and while I love the fit/style, they really feel like they would wear out way too quickly, considering the price. I'm tall and slim (about 6'2/170).

Any suggestions? Preferably local shops so I can try things on before buying.

For what you're looking for in that price range, yeah you're not going to get the best quality

Outfit posting time! I always find it so interesting to see what other people are wearing, so I might as well help simmer that pot a little, so to speak.

8426043538_571076221f_z.jpg

8424952769_315db50eaa_z.jpg

Cardigan- Marni (softest cashmere I've ever felt. If you need a cashmere cardigan, Marni is the way to go).

Shirt- Velvet

Jeans- Edwin (again)

Boots- Marsell
shoes don't really jive; need to be wearing some peasant wardrobe for those.

TxdoHawk

I need new chinos for work.

I really, really liked Land's End Canvas' slim fit chinos last year. They were slim, but not overly so, they weren't ankle-huggingly work-inappropriate and they weren't like wearing a tarp (most other chinos). However, they stopped making 36x34, and I'm not confident they will bring the size back for spring despite my pleas. Who makes a similar slim-ish cut in 36x34?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom