• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jme said:
How does watch/style GAF feel about WeWood watches?

WeWOOD-watch-orglamic.jpg

the black one is cool as hell! but would they be comfortable to wear?

latinlikeaviolin said:
Peacoats, peacoats, peacoats

Yeah, I have to say I was wholeheartedly against Peacoats for years, but then I lost a bunch of weight, started dressing better, and just picked one up 2 weeks ago. Got a double breasted Jones New York for 60 or 70% off (awesome deal), and I am blown away by how good it looks, and how warm they are.

Boken

Banned
I'm not very good with watches either, but I'd really like a nice leather strapped watch, preferabily in dark brown with a classic face.

Something like this:
on-stand-057s.jpg

(though this particular watch is incredibly expensive)

new-model-arma-nl-classic-leather-watch-ar2433-2c797.jpg

This isnt too bad either, it's less minimalist though.

I saw a pair of Loake brogued oxfords in a store the other day. They look real nice, but I'm afraid to find out how much they cost.
Loake-SEVERN-2-_SH_-TAN-SINGLE.jpg

I have the red wood We Wood watch, it's a reddish brown, great casual watch. it's really smooth and super light. wouldn't pay full price though

Zyzyxxz

SebastianAlexander said:
the black one is cool as hell! but would they be comfortable to wear?

if its smooth its gotta be better than metal which I have never been a fan of.

My only concern is that it better not be straight wood, it needs a clear coating so that sweat doesn't seep into it.

Gaaraz

I'd love to know if anyone in the UK can recommend any good, cheap and reliable clothing sites/stores.

Sounds stupid, but at the moment I buy almost all of my stuff from Burton - it's very reasonably priced, very well made, and particularly when it comes to work clothes (trousers, shirts and suits) it's incredibly well fitted too, for such a cheap store.

River Island and Zara are my go to shops and Uniqlo when Im near one. Burton reminds me of a young adults version of Next..dont know why but I just never go in there.
Asos for online stuff.

Gaaraz

Johnlenham said:
River Island and Zara are my go to shops and Uniqlo when Im near one. Burton reminds me of a young adults version of Next..dont know why but I just never go in there.
Asos for online stuff.
Nice one, thank you! Never heard of Zara (sounds like it'd be women only!) but will look out for a local one. Pretty sure there isn't a Uniqlo around here either :(

Asos is definitely worth a look, will check it out now - thanks!

Gaaraz said:
Nice one, thank you! Never heard of Zara (sounds like it'd be women only!) but will look out for a local one. Pretty sure there isn't a Uniqlo around here either :(

Asos is definitely worth a look, will check it out now - thanks!

Yeah Zara does sounds like a womens shop, I could have sworn up till maybe 2-3 years ago they only had female displays in the shop window!
I will say it is at the more expensive end of highstreet shops but I do think the quality/fit is better.
Not to mention everyone that hasnt a clue gos to bloody Topman!

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Average people wear the drabbest grey/black crap in the fall. Just bleh. I think I'm the only male wearing faded pink in the Northern Hemisphere today.

Alucrid

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Average people wear the drabbest grey/black crap in the fall. Just bleh. I think I'm the only male wearing faded pink in the Northern Hemisphere today.
Whoa. This average person wears drab grey and black regardless of the season.

Alucrid said:
Whoa. This average person wears drab grey and black regardless of the season.
And then the non-average people wear darker stuff in winter because it's easier to find cheap warm stuff without much color

_Isaac

Sean2 said:
I know this is going to sound incredibly stupid, but have you guys seen some of the stuff (watches, accessories) J. Crew has? Just went on their website and was amazed by the direction they are taking!

1zvx653.jpg

What even is this?

Alucrid

Banned
Sean2 said:
wristband/bracelet

Based on these reactions, I guess GAF is hating on the military/maritime esque stuff. :(

I mean, MA-1 jackets are cool, but that's just a piece of rope with an anchor on it.

Not sure what Ray Bans, watches and wallets have to do with them taking a turn for the stylish. Maybe if they had some rick owens urban-goth ninja shit or something then yeah.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Alucrid said:
I mean, MA-1 jackets are cool, but that's just a piece of rope with an anchor on it.

Not sure what Ray Bans, watches and wallets have to do with them taking a turn for the stylish. Maybe if they had some rick owens urban-goth ninja shit or something then yeah.

True. Oh well.

Enron

Banned
Sean2 said:
wristband/bracelet

Based on these reactions, I guess GAF is hating on the military/maritime esque stuff. :(

Its not even military/maritime stuff. It's just oldschool type american trad/prep stuff.

Thai

Bane was better.
Doytch said:
About that trench, I'm really not a fan of single-breasted trenches; they tend to look feminine to me. Go double.

Not a fan of the double breasted look, I'm a small guy so double breasted tends to be way too busy looking

Alucrid

Banned
latinlikeaviolin said:
Man, I'm pretty sure I'd look fine in dark greens and olives, but I don't got the balls yet

Olives and greens are easy to rock, try it.

Speaking of olives...

wUbDql.jpg

MeuC6l.jpg

By far the nicest jacket non-winter jacket I've owned.

Thai said:
Not a fan of the double breasted look, I'm a small guy so double breasted tends to be way too busy looking
I went back to see what a single breasted trench looks like (first I've heard of one) and it looks weird. Unless you are under 4 feet tall a regular trench in the appropriate size will look good.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone has an invite for JackThreads? Do they ship to Canada?

Jake. said:
a tailored old navy jacket + superfat being ballin' is an oxymoron.
Meant that I had an old jacket salvaged and tailored, because it was bought for me way back when I was fat back in the day. Now it's great.

bob page

Notrollious said:
Just bought this jacket.

on879377-00vliv01.jpg

What do you guys think?
It's alright, but I personally would never buy anything from Old Navy. The quality is horrible and you'd be better off spending a bit more for something that fits better / lasts longer.

Got it 40% off, which is really the only reason I got it. Although i honestly haven't had any problems with old navy. I have a bunch of stuff from them, due in part to my sister working there, so I got the employee discount if she bought it.

bob page

Notrollious said:
Got it 40% off, which is really the only reason I got it. Although i honestly haven't had any problems with old navy. I have a bunch of stuff from them, due in part to my sister working there, so I got the employee discount if she bought it.
Well if you like it, that's all that matters. A lot of their clothes aren't really slim fit which is why they look like shit on me.

I have a question about corduroys: is it acceptable to wear these in a business-casual work environment? I usually wear a button down shirt, tie, pea coat in this kind of weather and have a few pairs of corduroys that I never wear.

I bought that same (but slightly different) jacket from Old Navy last year for 20 bucks and after washing it a couple of times it completely changed it's fit on me and now I'm trying to give it away. Bleh. Good luck.

Anyway, it started snowing in NYC and having recently moved here from California, I completely froze my ass off this weekend. Decided to make a visit to Uniqlo's flagship store and picked up a down jacket and a wool jacket. I'm having the hardest time trying to find pics of them online though.

bob page

cmonmanreally said:
I bought that same (but slightly different) jacket from Old Navy last year for 20 bucks and after washing it a couple of times it completely changed it's fit on me and now I'm trying to give it away. Bleh. Good luck.

Anyway, it started snowing in NYC and having recently moved here from California, I completely froze my ass off this weekend. Decided to make a visit to Uniqlo's flagship store and picked up a down jacket and a wool jacket. I'm having the hardest time trying to find pics of them online though.
Those Uniqlo jackets are warm as hell. I don't like how they look on me, but I know a ton of people who swear by them.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Killing me that Uniqlo doesn't ship.

Cosmic Bus said:
You might check Uniqlo's site and/or call the NYC store? They're woefully behind the times not having an online shop, but they're apparently pretty helpful and will ship things that are in stock at the store.

Alucrid

Banned
bob page said:
Well if you like it, that's all that matters. A lot of their clothes aren't really slim fit which is why they look like shit on me.

I have a question about corduroys: is it acceptable to wear these in a business-casual work environment? I usually wear a button down shirt, tie, pea coat in this kind of weather and have a few pairs of corduroys that I never wear.

I would imagine so. You can always ask or, if you don't want to do that, you can wear them and see if anyone says anything. I mean, you're wearing a tie which isn't a bit dressier than business casual anyways. So if you wear a tie (business) and corduroys (if they consider them casual) then it cancels out into business casual!

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Awesome stuff, the red interior seals it.
casablanca said:
Funny just bought a green jacket with an Orange/red interior.

It's orange. :p

Nlbzal.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Any experience on what the surcharge for shipping would be from there? In the US, that is.

$7.95 for UPS shipping in the US. They offer 2-day as well, which was something like $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom