• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgor

Really nice to see N&F catching on here. I'm hoping to grab a few more pairs next time I'm in Montreal.

I've been wearing the Low Tensions quite a bit recently, but here are updated shots of my Elephant IIs. Still no washes.

photo2-5_zps533f66a0.jpg
photo1-4_zps589c8ab2.jpg

Casanova

I wear cheap clothes. I give a lot to the needy and my family.
And the gaming industry.
I can't afford to wear nice stuff like this, although I really would like to.

At times, like right now, I am willing to spend $150 or so on a nice outfit or two but one outfit is just not going to give off much of an impression. That would mean one day out of the week I would look nice and the other four days I would look like shit in comparison.

Any suggestions or advice?

How do you guys build you're wardrobe with such nice things? Do you save up and/or just look for good sales and stuff?

Unless you are all loaded, I don't see how a forum community dominated by early to late 20's men can afford to look so nice..

Those leaf camos look sweet...

Ugh, I was going to go straight home to cook dinner but now, I'm really tempted to hit up Barney's before I go home.

...crap.

Barney's didn't have my size so I had to get it shipped. I also saw the royalcast there, it looks good...real good. But the chambray is just too unique to pass up.

I got so much stuff just coming for me in the mail right now.

I dropped by my work and showed my coworkers (all girls) my new N&F shirts and they were all hating on them

Really? What'd they hate about it?

I think they look really cool, particularly the third from the right. That'd be a great shirt to wear with the sleeves rolled up during the spring or summer...or at least I'd probably do that.

friday

And the gaming industry.
I can't afford to wear nice stuff like this, although I really would.

I have built my collection over the years. You don't really need to spend a lot of money to dress well. If you have something like a Nordstrom rack near you they always have good deals. Also brands like gap are starting to have better fitting clothes. Uniqlo is also a good cheap option. They always have good button up shirts and pants for cheap. Unfortunately you only find their stores in a few major cities. They do have an online store though. Sales are always a good route also.

Proper fit is probably the most important element to dressing nice, if the clothes are too frumpy you will never look good. The same goes for clothes that are too small. When I try things on I like to get my size and one smaller, just to see if it fits.

Zekes!

Really? What'd they hate about it?

I think they look really cool, particularly the third from the right. That'd be a great shirt to wear with the sleeves rolled up during the spring or summer...or at least I'd probably do that.

They all especially hate the Kabuki one, which I thought was dope as hell. It's tough man

Really nice to see N&F catching on here. I'm hoping to grab a few more pairs next time I'm in Montreal.

I've been wearing the Low Tensions quite a bit recently, but here are updated shots of my Elephant IIs. Still no washes.
Nice dude those are looking great. How long have you had them?

And the gaming industry.
I can't afford to wear nice stuff like this, although I really would like to.

At times, like right now, I am willing to spend $150 or so on a nice outfit or two but one outfit is just not going to give off much of an impression. That would mean one day out of the week I would look nice and the other four days I would look like shit in comparison.

Any suggestions or advice?

How do you guys build you're wardrobe with such nice things? Do you save up and/or just look for good sales and stuff?

Unless you are all loaded, I don't see how a forum community dominated by early to late 20's men can afford to look so nice..
It takes time. Very few of us (probably) have the income to entirely revamp our wardrobes in one trip. I've been building mine really over the past few years.

With that said, you have to start somewhere and it's really not hard to start. For $150, you can get some decent pieces that will stay in your wardrobe for awhile. I'd look into buying a nice pair of jeans with that money, and maybe some shirts with any cash you have left over. The key here is how everything fits. Regardless of brand/price, if it fits perfectly, you're going to look fantastic. The opposite is true as well of course.

Stay away from trendy stuff and focus on the essentials (jeans, shirts, boots/shoes, blazers, etc). Get these in timeless and versatile colors like navy, brown, or grey. It might take a little while, but having one great outfit is better than having no great outfits.

Barney's didn't have my size so I had to get it shipped. I also saw the royalcast there, it looks good...real good. But the chambray is just too unique to pass up.

I got so much stuff just coming for me in the mail right now.
Awesome, dude. Can't wait to see how they look.

I've spent like 3k+ on clothes in each of the last two years. Sadly I feel like a chunk of it was wasted money on stupid buys. My advice is don't rush into any decisions, don't always go for the cheaper option even if it means waiting, and look everywhere you possibly can for the stuff you want.

I live in Montreal, all my jeans are Diesel... I must be doing something wrong, need to right that wrong and pick up some N&F next week. How do H&F compare to Diesel quality wise?

Kraftwerk

I would like to say:

Thank you for everyone participating in this thread. All the opinions, advice and critique from you guys has definitely changed my entire wardrobe.

I have been constantly getting compliments on my recent change in wardrobe. Some people might find it shallow/vain, but it is more than that. The compliments give a good confidence boost, and make you fell so much better.

Goes a long way.

*manshion-gaf group hug*

*wipes tears with $795.99 Burberry scarf*

They all especially hate the Kabuki one, which I thought was dope as hell. It's tough man

Haters, haters everywhere.

Sucks Zekes and gotta agree with MiDNiGHTS, they're just hating for no reason.

Anyways, stopped by Barneys and blahhh... They had none of the camo twills, Royalcasts were gorgeous in person but they hate my legs and tried on the Chambrays but again, Weird Guys hate my legs too.

They only had the thermals in Slim but alas, not what I'm looking for.

I did find a navy duffel from J.Crew but it was too big for me. Luckily, the concierge service located two stores with them in my size and were able to get the price down from $199 to $129 (after tax) and extra 30% off. I should be getting a call to see if they can ship out to me. Gotta love final sales.

...Now I want some boots lol.

Zekes!

Basic girls like basic things.

Show us the fit though, maybe its a fit issue?

Nah, not a fit issue, 'cause they didn't see it on me. Plus I already know it fits well (besides the neck being a tad big)

Vans maybe

http://www.zappos.com/vans-authentic-core-classics-true-white

But what you really want are..

6a00d83455c78869e20120a8dfa296970b-500wi

Show us a fit pic of what you're thinking.

Oh yeah, I meant to post earlier zethren asking for more deets of what you want in a sneaker. I was going to post a Fred Perry mid-top but I couldn't find them in white.

If anyone finds a store selling those new Naked & Famous Camo Twill shirts, link me. I'd prefer the green one.

Opinions:
Maybe it's because of the weight loss (congratulations btw), but that jacket is humungous on you. You should definitely try on a size down and see how it fits.

I like the boots and the pants combination, but I wouldn't wear it with the jacket either.

EDIT: On second look, it's just super large in the body, and the shoulders are all kinds of weird. Sleeve length/body length look good. What's the brand? For the future, I'd look into something with less padding in the shoulders (possibly unconstructed), and a slimmer silhouette. I can recommend some brands/designers if you have a specific price range in mind.

I would like to say:

Thank you for everyone participating in this thread. All the opinions, advice and critique from you guys has definitely changed my entire wardrobe.

I have been constantly getting compliments on my recent change in wardrobe. Some people might find it shallow/vain, but it is more than that. The compliments give a good confidence boost, and make you fell so much better.

Goes a long way.

*manshion-gaf group hug*

That's awesome, dude! Glad we could help.

Dressing properly definitely goes a long way towards improving confidence. I wish the Dating-Age guys payed more attention to this thread cause they'd be surprised how much different they'd feel with some simple (well, probably drastic for some) tweaks to their wardrobe.

Maybe it's because of the weight loss (congratulations btw), but that jacket is humungous on you. You should definitely try on a size down and see how it fits.

I like the boots and the pants combination, but I wouldn't wear it with the jacket either.

EDIT: On second look, it's just super large in the body, and the shoulders are all kinds of weird. Sleeve length/body length look good. What's the brand? For the future, I'd look into something with less padding in the shoulders (possibly unconstructed), and a slimmer silhouette. I can recommend some brands/designers if you have a specific price range in mind.

It is a CK blazer, I had it tailored some years ago, used to fit well, but most of my blazers don not fit me well now.

I´m just going to a club tomorrow with some friends and was just messing with the clothes I have.

At the moment I don not have a need for blazers, but once I have one I will come to you guys.

Also my body complexion is really strange, I always have to tailor the blazers I buy, it is kinda annoying.

Zekes!

I would like to say:

Goes a long way.

*manshion-gaf group hug*

I feel like there'd be a lot of butt touching in a Manshion group hug

If anyone finds a store selling those new Naked & Famous Camo Twill shirts, link me. I'd prefer the green one.

Can't find the green but here's the grey

Alucrid

Banned
I wish Nike still sold those black/white Flyknits. They sold out fast.

you and me both gurl

It is a CK blazer, I had it tailored some years ago, used to fit well, but most of my blazers don not fit me well now.

I´m just going to a club tomorrow with some friends and was just messing with the clothes I have.

At the moment I don not have a need for blazers, but once I have one I will come to you guys.

Also my body complexion is really strange, I always have to tailor the blazers I buy, it is kinda annoying.

yeah, jacket looks a bit big, sleeves a bit short, etc. i think an unstructured blazer would look much better. like dis

KG31-068_2_2_3.jpg

EVOL 100%

Opinions:

I am going to change the bottom. I lost some weight in the past months, and they do not fit me good anymore.

It might be the angle, but your shirt and blazer look way too big for you. Kinda looks like me when I wore my dad's blazers when I was little tbh.

edit: well now that was rather redundant

Any recommendations on jeans that fit like Levi's slim straight? I was looking at naked and famous but I can't seem to find the exact Levi measurements to compare them.

Alucrid

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom