• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

friday

An actual shoulder bag like that? I'm still firmly of the opinion that men shouldn't be rocking these.

Reminds me of that episode of Friends.

Nah man, if you live somewhere like NYC having a bag to carry shit in is a must. You gotta at least have somewhere to put your book and headphones.

I'm just gonna come out and say it. Some of these denim brands produce great stuff, but it doesn't mean they can charge me $100 for a goddamn solid color t-shirt.

I don't like the "bottom heavy" look of the bag. I've always felt the even, rectangular messenger bag is just more masculine. Not a big fan of that nylon strap either.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Nah man, if you live somewhere like NYC having a bag to carry shit in is a must. You gotta at least have somewhere to put your book and headphones.

I carry a bag every single day, I can't go without it.

At first glance it just looked like a bag that's meant to be slung across the shoulder underneath the arm. You know, like a women's bag or purse.

It clearly isn't though.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Chester Wallace logo on there looks like a fucking qr code from a distance. Just buy a vintage bag or something.

Also, the idea that the method of carrying a bag is any kind of legitimate indication that, y'know, you're a MAN or a sissy queer is just... ugh. Shut up, Hoodoo.

Chester Wallace logo on there looks like a fucking qr code from a distance. Just buy a vintage bag or something.

Also, the idea that the method of carrying a bag is any kind of legitimate indication that, y'know, you're a MAN or a sissy queer is just... ugh. Shut up, Hoodoo.

Um.

The way a bag is carried is as much an element of style as anything else. Some styles look more masculine, some more feminine. Most of this is from social conditioning but it's still perfectly valid.

I'm assuming the tag is sew on after the fabric is waxed, so I'd probably remove it.

And re vintage I live in Montana lol. Not much in the way of options.

I just want it to coordinate with my strappy wedge heels :-*

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The way a bag is carried is as much an element of style as anything else. Some styles look more masculine, some more feminine. Most of this is from social conditioning but it's still perfectly valid.

Do you request that stores supply messenger-style plastic bags for your groceries so there's no risk of being mistaken as femme while carrying them in your hands?

Well, you could always get a briefca-- oh.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Hold up, I didn't say anything about being a MAN or queer or anything like that. Stop projecting your own insecurities on me.

I mistakenly recognised the bag as a model that's most often worn by women, that is all. Jesus.

friday

LL bean has some nice canvas bags. I like the Rangeley Messenger.

280289_888_41

j16pcx9H7h6ky.jpg

Went to Nordstroms rack today..

Suspenders/Straps, yay or nay? I think they just might work.

Also scored these jeans, but its hard to find info about them. "Levis matchstick" I don't know anything about denim, but they seem nicer than the Levis I typically see at Macys ect.

friday

while it looks nice it doesn't really gel with my dark grey, light grey, and blue wardrobe.

are jack spade bags aight? mainly looking at something waxed canvas.

I saw one the other day. I like their simplicity, but the ones I liked seemed a bit small for my needs. They also cost more than I want to spend.

Besides those issues I like them. Simple and classy.

friday

So I have been wanting some hi tops for a while now. What do you guys think; vans, pf flyers, tretorn?

I am digging these two

2027822-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

2131759-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I really like the navy, but the desert camo is pretty rad. Man I wish they had vintage duck camo.

Budget... $300? Like I said, I want something casual, an item I can toss beer/towel/etc in for the shore/beach and not look stupid when I hit the streets for lunch, if that makes sense. I'm not opposed to leather I just think canvas is a more casual material, but that might be dumb thinking re: longevity. I just want a simple modern item without a lot of doodads, saggy shapes or distressing.

Looking at jack spade their wax pocket brief pretty much fit the bill. At the same time, I like the vibe of the kris van assche eastpak but it slides into the too much stuff/saggy department. Just giving you an idea of where my head is at.

Like I said I know nothing of bags so I'm wide open.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
My feet are growing but my penis stays the same. :'(

I went from 11 to 11.5/12 last year.

I tried out the new Nike Flyknits today and a 12 didn't fit. They must run small.

Will get these once I file my taxes, and maybe some new jeans...
Nike-Flyknit-Lunar1-Mens-Running-Shoe-554887_010_A.jpg

friday

Have you looked at filson bags Mac? Many of them come in either black or tan. The oil finish twill is supposedly built like a tank. Styling wise they are not exactly modern, so that may be an issue.

Saw almost all the new N&Fs today. Dungarees are sweet, vintage nudes are cool but it's hard to make out the picture they printed onto the insides of the denim, blue and red weft are nice, suvin els is real soft and nice feeling. It's all really good.

It is a CK blazer, I had it tailored some years ago, used to fit well, but most of my blazers don not fit me well now.

I´m just going to a club tomorrow with some friends and was just messing with the clothes I have.

At the moment I don not have a need for blazers, but once I have one I will come to you guys.

Also my body complexion is really strange, I always have to tailor the blazers I buy, it is kinda annoying.
Bummer on your body type, man. That's a tough thing to fix. The best bet is to just find a brand that works best for you. It's somewhere out there.

Definitely try on an unconstructed blazer next time you can. Not something entirely unconstructed, but something with a little less padding so that it will hug your upper body closer. Also for what it's worth, I recommend all men get their suits tailored even if it's only a minor tweak. Very few of us get to put something on off the rack and have it fit perfectly.

Thanks, dude. Just realized the green shirt has green buttons. Not really digging that so I may end up going with the grey. Probably more versatile anyway.

j16pcx9H7h6ky.jpg

Went to Nordstroms rack today..

Suspenders/Straps, yay or nay? I think they just might work.

Also scored these jeans, but its hard to find info about them. "Levis matchstick" I don't know anything about denim, but they seem nicer than the Levis I typically see at Macys ect.
Ehh, I've never been a big pan of suspender straps with jeans. To me they jut always scream, "HEY LOOK AT ME!" If your intentions are to wear them with a more formal outfit, then I think you'll be fine.

Saw almost all the new N&Fs today. Dungarees are sweet, vintage nudes are cool but it's hard to make out the picture they printed onto the insides of the denim, blue and red weft are nice, suvin els is real soft and nice feeling. It's all really good.
Sweet, dude. I'm going to be at the BlueOwl showroom tomorrow so I plan on checking all the SS13 models in person.

Fritz

What kinda fit are Levis 511? Urban Outfitters are plastering them all over the place over here but I couldn't really figure it out.

Rookje

Where @?

Ehh, I've never been a big pan of suspender straps with jeans. To me they jut always scream, "HEY LOOK AT ME!" If your intentions are to wear them with a more formal outfit, then I think you'll be fine.

I agree on the jean w/straps sentiment. My intention was to pair with skinny/slim fitting chinos, and a well fitting henley/v neck/ t shirt. Perhaps I will post a picture to ensure I do not look foolish.

Am Rag and Barneys. Between them the only thing they were missing was the Kamikaze one and a few others.

That shirt came out looking way worse than it really is. Should have ironed.
Nice dude that looks rad. I've always thought the white shirt/black pants/black shades combo is hard to beat.

I'm super OCD about ironing my dress shirts. If there's even the slightest wrinkle in it before I put it on, I iron the whole thing. I've been late to class numerous times because of this.

I agree on the jean w/straps sentiment. My intention was to pair with skinny/slim fitting chinos, and a well fitting henley/v neck/ t shirt. Perhaps I will post a picture to ensure I do not look foolish.
Gotcha, that definitely sounds better than wearing them with jeans.

I try to iron all the time but the wrinkles just keep coming back. I'm gonna get some starch tomorrow.

I guess it's just all about that untucked and wrinkled life.

Kraftwerk

O.K

I need to get a suit.

My first suit ever.

My price ranged is $1000-$1500.

What things do I need to consider?

Should I get two good suits, or one nice suit? I know I can get a Burberry for $1500, which I really like.

Use : Formal places I get invited to, weddings, when I go see a show, potential interviews etcc. Not for work....at least for now.

I have been looking at a few, and so far this one really caught my eye for $1400;

Burberry Slim Fit Wool Mohair Suit

As always, open to all advice, recommendations and critique form you guys. Will take my time on this one. WIll be purchasing it around spring - summer.

Antagon

Hard question. Personally I think that a mohair suit is fantastic for formal events, but might not be the best for interviews. Definitely not for daily wear to work.

That suit looks good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom