• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
O.K

I need to get a suit.

My first suit ever.

My price ranged is $1000-$1500.

What things do I need to consider?

Should I get two good suits, or one nice suit? I know I can get a Burberry for $1500, which I really like.

Use : Formal places I get invited to, weddings, when I go see a show, potential interviews etcc. Not for work....at least for now.

I have been looking at a few, and so far this one really caught my eye for $1400;

Burberry Slim Fit Wool Mohair Suit

As always, open to all advice, recommendations and critique form you guys. Will take my time on this one. WIll be purchasing it around spring - summer.
Frankly, i'll avoid buying ready to wear especially if you are ready to splurge that amount of money.
For that kind of cash, you should be able to find a taylor that would do it at least a very high quality Demi-mesure suit with fabrics from the great mills (Loro Piana, Scabal, Dormeuil, etc...)

I don't know where you are located but i'd try to find a place like those one:
Cafe Costume or Scabal.
you'll get a suit that will feel like a second skin and you won't pay an arm and a leg for the brand factor.

Omni

Just curious for some opinions on this. I really like wearing shirts, but my friends ALWAYS make fun of them and what I'm wearing. Linked below is what I usually wear to university and whatnot (not the same everyday, but the same kind of style)

Not really sure if it's bad or not...

img0494vv.jpg

It works, right? Nothing terribly ugly about it?

Fritz

O.K

I need to get a suit.

My first suit ever.

Should I get two good suits, or one nice suit? I know I can get a Burberry for $1500, which I really like.

Use : Formal places I get invited to, weddings, when I go see a show, potential interviews etcc. Not for work....at least for now.

I have been looking at a few, and so far this one really caught my eye for $1400;

As always, open to all advice, recommendations and critique form you guys. Will take my time on this one. WIll be purchasing it around spring - summer.

If you just wear it occasionally than one good suit is fine. If you get two you'll just favor one anyway and the other one will be hanging unused in the closet.

Grey is versatile but do you really want to get such a slim cut suit? Looks way too fashionable imo. With that amount of money I'd just get one tailored. I mean "fashion fades, style is eternal"! It's not in the thread title for nothing.

Raynes

O.K

I need to get a suit.

My first suit ever.

Dude in the pic looks like he has an eating disorder.

Raynes

I have a friend like that . He is 6'4" and eats like a pig, never works out and is still 150lbs.

.....or he secretly has bulimia like that model :(

Yep same story here, I pig out all the time and I'm still thin, but I see no reason to wear such a tight suit only to show some bone. Suits are not supposed to look how they do on that dude, it's shameful.

O.K

I need to get a suit.

My first suit ever.

definitely try a suit on before making any decisions, and if that's burberry london it could have logo plastered all over the inside lining which imo doesn't look great

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Just curious for some opinions on this. I really like wearing shirts, but my friends ALWAYS make fun of them and what I'm wearing. Linked below is what I usually wear to university and whatnot (not the same everyday, but the same kind of style)

It's fine. Fairly standard, it works. Your friends probably know nothing about dressing. Let me guess, graphic t-shirts every day?

O.K

I need to get a suit.

My first suit ever.

That's a nice looking suit.....on that model

Be very careful to judge the appearance of a suit on a press photo with a model

jdouglas

O.K

I need to get a suit.

My first suit ever.

Suit looks great (The guy definitely needs to bulk up some more though. When I see his quads I think about a stop motion character from a Tim Burton film).

@randomrosso: this is my personal opinion but something about the exposed v-neck undershirt with the unbuttoned plaid shirt is off. It looks like you're trying to pull off a bunch of things at once. Maybe try buttoning most of the plaid shirt up and rolling the sleeves up (like you do) with a different undershirt (or none at all).

bob page

O.K

I need to get a suit.

My first suit ever.

I don't think it's really ideal to pay that much and only wear it to formal events. Sure, it's nice, but it's not really practical. Plus, chances are that you'll still have to get it tailored (it probably won't look like that on you, even though it's Burberry).

If you're going for your first suit ever, stick to something in the $500 range and get it tailored. When looking for suits, check to see if they're fused/canvassed/etc and make sure to check the material to ensure they're not throwing poly, rayon, etc into the mix. When you're trying it on at the store, make sure the shoulders fit properly- if they don't, tailoring the suit is pointless and you're just wasting your money.

Couldn't agree more. Speaking of...

LL

Excellent, especially the jacket. Not really a fan of the boots, though.

I swear I'm getting too old ManshionGAF. I find myself wearing stuff with elbow pads a bit much these days.

That looks fine man. I'm no master of fashion as proven by the above but that's not too far off what I see many people at my uni wear on a day to day basis, myself included when it hits spring/summer.

I am rocking an old man jumper atm though so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

kaskade

I'm sure it's been discussed here before but where do you guys get your t-shirts? Usually around spring time I add 3-4 to the collection since they are really all I wear in the summer. I've always liked the Armani Exchange pima ones. I just think I'd like to throw in a few different brands.

Desi

^sucks I threw mine on some couch at a warehouse party last night. It disappeared to under the couch in less than 20 mins.

MegalonJJ

Banned
O.K

I need to get a suit.

My first suit ever.

Not sure where you're based, but in the Burberry London stores, you get complementary tailoring/alterations within 3 months of purchase. (aka free tailoring).

I imagine the trousers will come with unfinished hems and they'll take the jacket in by however much you want. If you are in London, I'd recommend going to the Regent street store and asking for a gentleman named, Tiago. He's excellent when it comes to measuring (rather pinning) your desired changes. Very friendly too.

Also for the price their suits are excellent.

Edit: I should add that people here seem to be put off by the model's build & the slim cut of the suit. I highly suggest you ignore those posts.

I'm sure it's been discussed here before but where do you guys get your t-shirts? Usually around spring time I add 3-4 to the collection since they are really all I wear in the summer. I've always liked the Armani Exchange pima ones. I just think I'd like to throw in a few different brands.

for plain, solid colours? uniqlo

J. Crew

You look good. Your friends are just giving you shit repeatedly because it's fun to get a reaction out of you.

And what the fucking fuck at that suit model? Jesus christ.

As others have said, it works fine. Nothing flashy but nothing wrong with it either. Those same friends who make fun of you will probably come to you for fashion advice in the future. Just saying.

Suit doesn't fit that guy properly anyway. It's way too short in the body.
It's definitely shorter in the body but that's kind of the modern look right now. I think it's a tad too short for my taste but it works with the model.

+1 for the J. Crew recommendation. They're super soft and they have a nice taper in the arms and body so there's not a whole lot of extra baggage flapping around. Pre-washed too so you don't have to worry about them shrinking any.

blanco21

Does anybody know of any J.Crew promo codes? I've literally never seen one (on non-sale items). Do you get 15% off automatically if you use a college email address? Idk if I can get myself to spend $70 on a shirt that's seemingly too short (but great looking).

Does anybody know of any J.Crew promo codes? I've literally never seen one (on non-sale items). Do you get 15% off automatically if you use a college email address? Idk if I can get myself to spend $70 on a shirt that's seemingly too short (but great looking).

They got codes all the time. Just keep checking the site if you can wait.

STYLE40

Takes 40% off all merchandise on SALE and includes FREE SHIPPING

That's all I got.

blanco21

Is a 30 inch inseam appropriate for someone who is 6 feet tall? There's a slight break in the pants (Banana Republic Emerson), but I can't tell if it looks right. Also, I read online that these pants supposedly shrink.

Depends on your body shape. I'm 5'9" and I have a 30" inseam with around a quarter-no break on my cotton pants. If there is a slight break then I guess you're ok. Pics would help.

And no way is jcrew on gap's level. Have you been in a gap lately?

while it looks nice it doesn't really gel with my dark grey, light grey, and blue wardrobe.

are jack spade bags aight? mainly looking at something waxed canvas.

Not sure if you found something yet but I was looking at that bag on LL Bean. If your biggest problem with it was color they have a few other things canvas wise in different colors.

"Sun-washed" canvas

223494_167_41

"Sea-washed" canvas

265930_140_41

These still not be what you're looking for but figured I'd point them out.

Kraftwerk

Speaking of J Crew;

I bought two of their slim fit shirts and they fit me perfectly. Hell, my friends thought I got some custom fitted shirts.

What other brands make slim fit shirts like J Crew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom