• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desi

for us budget shoppers, it seems levi's has re-branded their 511 line as "slim" and the 510's are "skinny." the fit is still the same, but makes sense; the 511 never felt "skinny" just very fitted.

yeah I noticed. I flip between a size 29 510 and 28 511 as when I do a 28 510 I go all packing sausage.

Want to try the new Saint Laurent denim in the 17.5cm and the 19cm, did not get to try it next time I was in the NYC flagship. Hear they fit true to size now, used to size down to a 27 in Dior 19cm.

friday

Is there nothing "fashionable" that also provides warmth? I am not trying to offend, i am genuinely curious. I have been lurking this thread for a good month or two now and have yet to see a jacket or coat that actually looks like it could be warm and protective.

There are plenty of warm coats and clothes that look good. Wool is a great for cold weather. Layer it under something that blocks wind and you are good to go.

I just wanted to stop in and say i am laughing hysterically right now. Some dude is trying to walk to class right now in some of the stuff in this thread. A thin leather jacket, A thinner V-neck t shirt, rolled up jeans with no socks and those slip-on sneaker things i occasionally see. No gloves or hat.

It's negative fucking 40 degrees Fahrenheit with windchill and 20 mile per hour winds.

Is there nothing "fashionable" that also provides warmth? I am not trying to offend, i am genuinely curious. I have been lurking this thread for a good month or two now and have yet to see a jacket or coat that actually looks like it could be warm and protective.

I'm a guy who wears a hooded sweatshirt, a bauer hockey jacket, 10lb snow boots, and worn old work jeans to class every day so i am not sure i understand the mentality that one needs to sacrifice their health in order to look as good as some of you guys intend. Can anybody try to help me understand?
Get one of these

JNP4aTm.jpg

Received this in the mail today. Common People wax cotton makinaw jacket. Something lighter for spring and fall.
Nice man, looks cool.

I just wanted to stop in and say i am laughing hysterically right now. Some dude is trying to walk to class right now in some of the stuff in this thread. A thin leather jacket, A thinner V-neck t shirt, rolled up jeans with no socks and those slip-on sneaker things i occasionally see. No gloves or hat.

It's negative fucking 40 degrees Fahrenheit with windchill and 20 mile per hour winds.

I'm a guy who wears a hooded sweatshirt, a bauer hockey jacket, 10lb snow boots, and worn old work jeans to class every day so i am not sure i understand the mentality that one needs to sacrifice their health in order to look as good as some of you guys intend. Can anybody try to help me understand?
Peacoat, duffle coat, topcoat (fur coat too if you can afford one) are all warm options provided you get them in the right material and wear the right clothes underneath. I doubt there's much of anything that's going to keep you warm in -40 degrees by itself outside of maybe a spacesuit. Warm layers underneath will be essential as well.

Btw, where do you live that's -40?

Not me, I don't own a duffle coat. Though I have been known to take pictures of my beer from time to time. #hipster

midwest. it gets cold as fuck. at those temps though, especially when snow is blasting you in the face at 30 mph, you just wear down everything and run to your car.

Well my order from MyHabit showed up today, picked up;

81LVLFy70eL._SY576_CR0,0,430,576_.jpg

AND

81sAJGKvPfL._SY576_CR0,0,430,576_.jpg

I'm iffy on the coat, being short they tend to run long, unless I get it altered.

curious how it fits. trenches can be a little long and not look bad (over the knee is probably the max for that kind of trench) and if the sleeve is long you can get it altered for around $15-$20.

friday

I got my burgundy tin cloth shirt from Filson today. This thing is so heavy I think it could stop a knife. The quality, color, and materials are great but the fit, eh. Being more of an overshirt it is intentionally over sized, but I don't know, it may be a bit too big for my taste. Even if I had darts sew in the arms are still too wide. Damn this sucks. I like the ruggedness of the shirt but the fit not great. I got the smallest size they offer too.

I got my burgundy tin cloth shirt from Filson today. This thing is so heavy I think it could stop a knife. The quality, color, and materials are great but the fit, eh. Being more of an overshirt it is intentionally over sized, but I don't know, it may be a bit too big for my taste. Even if I had darts sew in the arms are still too wide. Damn this sucks. I like the ruggedness of the shit but the fit not great. I got the smallest size they offer too.
Still might be worth it to take it to a tailor and see if they can't fix it. At least get an opinion before you return it.

pax217

Hah, depends on the place. I've offered tips here and there, and I usually get weird looks from people working at a dry cleaner/store vs a dedicated alteration shop. Re amount, the usual 15-20 percent?

I just had some pants hemmed so it only came out to like $30 or something; but I haven't had any alterations done in quite awhile... I'll offer something and see how it's taken.

Thanks!

Silly question.

Do any of you think this sweater;

81sAJGKvPfL._SY576_CR0,0,430,576_.jpg

Would work with these pants?

cn4994676.jpg

For some reason the colors are bit off, in real life the sweater is a dark chocolate brown, while the pants are that rust/adobe color.

Silly question.

Do any of you think this sweater;

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/81sAJGKvPfL._SY576_CR0,0,430,576_.jpg

Would work with these pants?

http://www3.assets-gap.com/webcontent/0004/994/676/cn4994676.jpg

For some reason the colors are bit off, in real life the sweater is a dark chocolate brown, while the pants are that rust/adobe color.
If you already own both pieces, and it sounds like you do, just try it and see what you think.

So much of fashion is trial and error. I've learned a lot purely by pairing things together I was unsure about. Some of my favorite outfits happened that way. Some of my worst outfits happened that way. It's just one big learning experience and you'll never really know till you try.

If you already own both pieces, and it sounds like you do, just try it and see what you think.

So much of fashion is trial and error. I've learned a lot purely by pairing things together I was unsure about. Some of my favorite outfits happened that way. Some of my worst outfits happened that way. It's just one big learning experience and you'll never really know till you try.

I'll give it a try some time this week, I just figured because the sweater has some flecks of that rust/adobe color in it, and I thought it'd look good.

I just bought those pants, and I really never wore colored pants outside of black, denim, brown, and khaki.

So rust pants are sort of new to me haha.

uh...here's the two winter coats I have

900x900px-LL-17f4df60_2012-12-2211.51.08.jpe
900x900px-LL-6bcb4e4f_2013-01-1718.51.46.jpg

The second one looks pretty damn warm. Good call. Must have missed that when you posted originally.

Peacoat, duffle coat, topcoat (fur coat too if you can afford one) are all warm options provided you get them in the right material and wear the right clothes underneath. I doubt there's much of anything that's going to keep you warm in -40 degrees by itself outside of maybe a spacesuit. Warm layers underneath will be essential as well.

Btw, where do you live that's -40?

-40 with windchill. I think the actual temperature at the time was somewhere around -10, but with 20mph winds, oof duh. North Dakota, by the way.

You make a good point about wearing the correct stuff underneath. Same thing I do. It's just gotta be layers. My point originally was that all the sweaters and jackets in this thread seem to be solely for looks rather than function, which can be carried to a very far extreme. As evidenced by the dummy I saw walking to class.

I honestly should have taken a picture. Guy is walking around like it's 50-60 degrees when it is actually -40 with wind, visibility only 20 yards in front of you, and snow drifts 3-4 feet high all around. I understand everyone wants to look good, but I was trying to get a post from someone who cares so much about their appearance that they would sacrifice their actual skin. Someone to defend the dude I saw. No dice, though. Oh well. I'll still continue to lurk this thread for funsies.

midwest. it gets cold as fuck. at those temps though, especially when snow is blasting you in the face at 30 mph, you just wear down everything and run to your car.

And then in your car you sit there and freak out and rock back and forth and just say over and over "it's fucking coooooooooooooold" while the car warms up haha.

Thanks everyone for not freaking out on me by the way. Mansion-gaf is chill-gaf.

Alucrid

Banned
The second one looks pretty damn warm. Good call. Must have missed that when you posted originally.

-40 with windchill. I think the actual temperature at the time was somewhere around -10, but with 20mph winds, oof duh. North Dakota, by the way.

You make a good point about wearing the correct stuff underneath. Same thing I do. It's just gotta be layers. My point originally was that all the sweaters and jackets in this thread seem to be solely for looks rather than function, which can be carried to a very far extreme. As evidenced by the dummy I saw walking to class.

I honestly should have taken a picture. Guy is walking around like it's 50-60 degrees when it is actually -40 with wind, visibility only 20 yards in front of you, and snow drifts 3-4 feet high all around. I understand everyone wants to look good, but I was trying to get a post from someone who cares so much about their appearance that they would sacrifice their actual skin. Someone to defend the dude I saw. No dice, though. Oh well. I'll still continue to lurk this thread for funsies.

And then in your car you sit there and freak out and rock back and forth and just say over and over "it's fucking coooooooooooooold" while the car warms up haha.

Thanks everyone for not freaking out on me by the way. Mansion-gaf is chill-gaf.

Could you point to any specific examples? I'm trying to recall any non-joke ones but really can't. I find there's a 60-40 mix of serious posts with sarcastic ones, i.e. the ones mac posted on this page and the one I posted on the last page.

I mean, I've definitely worn clothes purely for aesthetic reasons in less than ideal temperatures. Hell, it was 50 degrees and sunny in Seattle today so I rolled up my sleeves and went out without a jacket. Granted, that's not -40, but you get the idea. It happens, but probably less so in the extreme circumstances you laid out.

Also, considering the fact that it gets pretty damn cold during the winters in New York, the fashion hub of America, there are plenty of stylish outerwear choices that provide equal warmth. I listed a few in my previous post. Just start looking around, they shouldn't be too hard to find.

EDIT: Just realized 50 degrees is almost a full 100 degrees warmer than -40. Maybe that was a bad example lol.

I assume you're in Fargo or Dickinson? I was in Minot for 5 years. Basically my winter not-dying outfit was a down or insulated parka, heavy wool pants or jeans, and sorel boots. Oh and lined gloves. But when you get 3 feet of snow dumped on you in an hour, in -40 weather, with blasts of soul destroying wind... It doesn't help much.

I saw plenty of people running around in tees and light jackets just the same, not even fashion types. There was also a group of religious women who could only wear dresses. Can you imagine?!

Can't remember if they were leather or not, but I feel like there have been a lot of messenger bags talked about in the last few pages. More than usual. You might look back a few pages and see if anything stands out.

What are you carrying in it? What's your budget? etc

In my current bag I can carry my 15" MacBook Pro, my iPad, my notebook, some files and a few miscellaneous items even though it is a tight squeeze with my laptop. As for my budget I'd say around $500 but I'm not too opposed to paying more for the right bag that will last. Ideally it would look professional enough to be brought into meetings with clients but also not look too much like an old mans briefcase.

friday

Because I am so fashion conscious I bought this t-shirt today.

slp-ss-006-full.jpg

I couldn't help myself. I love it.

Still might be worth it to take it to a tailor and see if they can't fix it. At least get an opinion before you return it.

I will do that. I gotta find a good one in NYC first.

Guevara

I need a good lightweight jacket for San Francisco weather, and it would be nice if it were a little water resistent. I haven't really found anything I like though. Is there a good place to get a simple military-style black or navy jacket? Under $150 I guess.

Rawr Denim has a good writeup on those wild Rainbow Fades from the Naked & Famous SS13.

No fade images yet as they've barely been out a month, but there are some cool photos of the rainbow dyed fabric they used to make the jeans. More at the link above.

Any of the Manshion-GAF crew going to bite the bullet and buy a pair to see how these look over time? Zekes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom