• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob page

i wouldn't trust nick wooster

Most of the stuff is like $20-40- it's not like you'd be losing out much on trying.

I think you guys are forgetting who this is marketed towards. This isn't some select couture stuff- it's mass market, cheap, better fitting business casual wear aimed to fill the void at current department stores. Compared to even a few years ago, this is a step in the right direction for these places where stores like Uniqlo, etc may be nonexistent.

Most of the stuff is like $20-40- it's not like you'd be losing out much on trying.

I think you guys are forgetting who this is marketed towards. This isn't some select couture stuff- it's mass market, cheap, better fitting business casual wear aimed to fill the void at current department stores. Compared to even a few years ago, this is a step in the right direction for these places where stores like Uniqlo, etc may be nonexistent.

Yeah, dismissing the small steps that could lead to the average poster here upping their wardrobe a little bit seems misguided. Dismissing stuff like this while salivating (sometimes, ironically, sometimes, not) over $1000 sneakers only reinforces the charges of elitism in this thread.

Alucrid

Banned

Uniqlo has an online store.

Yeah, dismissing the small steps that could lead to the average poster here upping their wardrobe a little bit seems misguided. Dismissing stuff like this while salivating (sometimes, ironically, sometimes, not) over $1000 sneakers only reinforces the charges of elitism in this thread.

I pretty much throw everyone at Uniqlo. I mean, look at "The T-Shirt" looks blocky as fuck. The copy is atrocious too.

Also lol at elitism, I'm pretty sure there's two or three people who buy those "$1000 sneakers." Here's a tip, I haven't paid more than 300 for any of mine.

bob page

I pretty much throw everyone at Uniqlo. I mean, look at "The T-Shirt" looks blocky as fuck. The copy is atrocious too.

Also lol at elitism, I'm pretty sure there's two or three people who buy those "$1000 sneakers." Here's a tip, I haven't paid more than 300 for any of mine.

We're talking about the typical, every day Joe that wanders into department stores not knowing what to look for, though. You gotta remember that most men really have no idea what they're doing when shopping.

Baby steps.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Evening gentlemen.

I'm after a blue denim trucker jacket in the same colour and fit as the one Ryan Gosling wore in Drive.

Now, I know his is a vintage Levi's one, but does anyone know of something that's really close in terms of colour & fit please?

Two things, firstly I don't care about price and secondly I don't want a second-hand/vintage one.

$300 for sneakers is still cray for some people lol

Yeah, but they don't have to walk into a JC penny.
You realize there are areas where jcp or target are the only options?

Re denim truckers, Levi vintage makes em.

Or eBay for helmut lang

Most designer stuff I've seen is lame, slp fucked theirs up with a band collar.

Alucrid

Banned
We're talking about the typical, every day Joe that wanders into department stores not knowing what to look for, though. You gotta remember that most men really have no idea what they're doing when shopping.

Baby steps.

Ok? I'm talking about this thread. I certainly wouldn't direct someone in here to JC Penny just like I wouldn't direct them to go MTO for CCP in this thread. I'm not talking about the "every day Joe", nor could I care less, unless it leads to packs of mini-woosters roaming the streets.

$300 for sneakers is still cray for some people lol

Re denim truckers, Levi vintage makes em.

Or eBay for helmut lang

Most designer stuff I've seen is lame, slp fucked theirs up with a band collar.

Geller had some nice ones, no blue though.

Zekes!

Evening gentlemen.

I'm after a blue denim trucker jacket in the same colour and fit as the one Ryan Gosling wore in Drive.

Now, I know his is a vintage Levi's one, but does anyone know of something that's really close in terms of colour & fit please?

Two things, firstly I don't care about price and secondly I don't want a second-hand/vintage one.

You can pretty much go buy any Levis jean jacket and be set. I have one that looks just like it. I think his was a slimmer fit/tailored though

Most stuff is made in sweatshop somewhere anyway. It's just a matter of who's dumb enough to pay for more expensive brands. Or *ahem* ethical factories with labor rates

Yeah but quality of material and craftsmanship varies. There was a time when I thought everything was the same but you can literally see/feel the quality.

Laekon

I haven't bought a thing from Uniqlo because I don't want to deal with the hassle of return cycles while trying to find the right size. I got burned to many times buying stuff of Gilt with ridiculous sizing. I think a lot of men would feel the same.

What is dumb about buying nicer things? The industry isn't full of pyrex visions.
I can't imagine that life.
It's 90% of the us market. To be honest, I'd rather someone get a jcp shirt that fits vs some random mervyns or Macy's shirt for twice or three times as much; it's basically the same thing in terms of quality. I could point them to gitman or something but a dude just working on getting a good fit is not gonna really get, or care, why it's $150. Frankly I'd rather this thread be more accepting of this reality and I get why people are put off by it.

Alucrid

Banned
I haven't bought a thing from Uniqlo because I don't want to deal with the hassle of return cycles while trying to find the right size. I got burned to many times buying stuff of Gilt with ridiculous sizing. I think a lot of men would feel the same.

They have specific measurements of each item on the site. Grab a tape measure, grab something that fits you, measure, and you're golden. It literally takes a minute.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I'm trying to finalize what color of Nike Blazers to get so I can order them. Right now I'm thinking grey (below). What do you guys suggest? White on white? Black? I plan to wear them with blue jeans (all shades) and possibly dark grey or black jeans/pants.

nikeid

Kraftwerk

I'm about to order a pair of Wolverine 1000 miles boots in black. Posting this incase you guys recommend something else in similar price range and style.

Definitely black, and budget is $400.

bob page

They have specific measurements of each item on the site. Grab a tape measure, grab something that fits you, measure, and you're golden. It literally takes a minute.
As someone who goes to Uniqlo almost every week, I can confirm that their measurements are bullshit. Depending on the style, a size S can vary greatly. They're getting a bit better about it but as of now, their "universal" measurements are anything but.

Alucrid

Banned
As someone who goes to Uniqlo almost every week, I can confirm that their measurements are bullshit. Depending on the style, a size S can vary greatly. They're getting a bit better about it but as of now, their "universal" measurements are anything but.

That's why you use the measurements of the actual item itself. Top = "universal measurements", bottom = measurements of the actual item. As someone who orders from Uniqlo a fair bit, I can confirm that their measurements are accurate.

BuQqJWH.png

Laekon

No body is consistent across fabrics and vendors unless it is all done in house. +/- tolerances are up to a .5" on some measurements with only a 1" difference between sizes. That means you can have a small and medium with the same body width that pass quality checks. Uniqlo doesn't have sizing by piece but by type. My company partnered with them to do a casual shirt in Japan twice and it was a different vendor each time. Even companies that tightly control vendors like Nike and Patagonia have inconsistent sizing. As factories move to more computer controlled equipment it is getting better.

Alucrid

Banned
No body is consistent across fabrics and vendors unless it is all done in house. +/- tolerances are up to a .5" on some measurements with only a 1" difference between sizes. That means you can have a small and medium with the same body width that pass quality checks. Uniqlo doesn't have sizing by piece but by type. My company partnered with them to do a casual shirt in Japan twice and it was a different vendor each time. Even companies that tightly control vendors like Nike and Patagonia have inconsistent sizing. As factories move to more computer controlled equipment it is getting better.

Haha really? Okay, every piece I've gotten have been pretty much the same as the measurements listed on the site. Even if there is <.5 inch of difference that's not terrible, probably not noticeable, and could quite easily be fixed. What do you do? Try on every shirt they have on a rack until you find the pristine example of what a small/medium/large should be?

Oh wait, you're the dude who thought Bruno Magli was high end.

jdouglas

Is anyone besides me BOWING to these amazing shoes? They're CCP.

carol-christian-poell-black-rooms-sneaker-product-1-3075113-208621214_medium_flex.jpeg

Did someone walk through a fire pit or something? They remind me of some roofing I did a while ago. I can't imagine the effect will last very long anyway.

Went shopping and got a nice henley long sleeve shirt and Hudson jeans. (I'll try to post pictures when I get a camera)

I'm about to order a pair of Wolverine 1000 miles boots in black. Posting this incase you guys recommend something else in similar price range and style.

Definitely black, and budget is $400.
I own them in black and absolutely love them. I get tons of compliments. You won't be disappointed. Just make sure you get your size right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom