• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamel

Banned
Okay MANSHION GAF, tell me a good pair of brown/dark brown (leather) desert boots that I can find at a mall. Going there in like 30 minutes. Preferably under $100, but willing to make exceptions for exceptional quality.

Lamel

Banned
You make it sound like all malls are identical.

Eh I mean just give me your best suggestions and I will see what I can find based off of those. The mall has all the typical stores. Sorry for the ambiguity, the trip is really unprecedented and its really my only time for a while, and I would like some good shoes for a function tomorrow!

The only thing I seem to find is Clarks boots, but I want to know what you guys think of their quality.

Get the Clarks. Or whatever it is these guys are wearing.

tumblr_miwuxwv3fp1qg4knho1_400.jpg

Anyone know where I can find this hoodie for sale online?

Stylish-Hoodies-2.jpg

Or have any other suggestions for stylish hoodies? I generally don't wear hoodies but I think I should have one in my collection.

f0rk

The #1 rule of this thread is if it's on a Korean mannequin like that it is awful quality and you shouldn't buy

I don't think I've ever seen a dressed up, overly stylized hoodie that didn't look a little off. Hoodies are like tees, KISS

on the topic of suits i'm pretty torn between a) a medium grey linen suit b) a slate blue linen suit or c) a light peach suit. i default to grey and blue but light peach seems slimy and sexy.

Light peach you say, Mac? What is that like a muted orange/pink color? Sounds perfect for Spring/Summer if you ask me.

Anyone know where I can find this hoodie for sale online?

Stylish-Hoodies-2.jpg

Or have any other suggestions for stylish hoodies? I generally don't wear hoodies but I think I should have one in my collection.
Cue the dontbelievehislies.jpg.

Full suit or just the jacket? You'll get more use out of the Grey/Blue options obviously, but I'm a sucker for lighter suits in the Summer. Probably fits under the category of stuff I definitely don't need but want. This might be the same for you.

I'd eliminate the Grey choice if I were you considering I'm certain you already own a Grey suit.

full suit. keep in mind I have white shoes :p actually at the moment I don't have a grey suit, I got all dad-sized and it's too small. shoutouts to anyone who wants a 36r suit for cheap :p

the reason I want to skip on grey because well, that's just too easy you know?

I don't think I've ever seen a dressed up, overly stylized hoodie that didn't look a little off. Hoodies are like tees, KISS

I don't think its really dressed up by itself. That whole outfit is. But the black hoodie itself isn't too much. In my opinion. Conversely, anyone have any hoodie suggestions? Like, actual hoodies for sale. Not just tips. I trust my own taste. It's just a matter of finding something I like.

Get the Clarks. Or whatever it is these guys are wearing.

Am I wrong for thinking that the soles on those shoes will wear down fast? I've held them in my hands and they seem like erasers that will just be burned through by normal walking around, and that a normal leather sole will be better, no?

So... What do you guys think of used clothing? I saw on one of the sites I go to of people recommending getting allen edmonds used on ebay since they're pretty much half off. Is this a really bad idea? Some of them like this are actually in pretty good shape. Just curious what you guys think.

shoes weird me out. irrational but whatever. stuff I can get drycleaned or washed is fine IMO. sometimes it's the only way to get unique stuff that is no longer made. f it's all stained or tattered I pass.

I'd think allen edmonds go on sale or are available on grapevinehill etc for cheap enough that used really wouldn't be my first place to look.

effe

Banned
So... What do you guys think of used clothing? I saw on one of the sites I go to of people recommending getting allen edmonds used on ebay since they're pretty much half off. Is this a really bad idea? Some of them like this are actually in pretty good shape. Just curious what you guys think.
too many amazing thrift shops with some crazy designer label shit in los angeles to even think about passing up used clothing

shoes weird me out. irrational but whatever. stuff I can get drycleaned or washed is fine IMO. sometimes it's the only way to get unique stuff that is no longer made. f it's all stained or tattered I pass.

I'd think allen edmonds go on sale or are available on grapevinehill etc for cheap enough that used really wouldn't be my first place to look.

Ya, it's a little weird but I figured you could probably get them cleaned cheap enough.

I've never seen them on sale but I also don't really know where to look. Do you know of any specific places? Grape vine hill doesn't seem to be loading for me for some reason.

Zekes!

I'm about to cop some camo shorts, I've got too much camo going on right now

Also have Naked & Famous Suvin's coming in to my shop tomorrow. I don't need another pair of blue denim but I'm excited to try them on.

full suit. keep in mind I have white shoes :p actually at the moment I don't have a grey suit, I got all dad-sized and it's too small. shoutouts to anyone who wants a 36r suit for cheap :p

the reason I want to skip on grey because well, that's just too easy you know?
Too easy but it's also an essential. Granted, I've never been upset with anyone foregoing the safe choice and taking the adventurous one, so I say go for it.

Am I wrong for thinking that the soles on those shoes will wear down fast? I've held them in my hands and they seem like erasers that will just be burned through by normal walking around, and that a normal leather sole will be better, no?
For what it's worth, I've yet to hear any horror stories about the Clark's soles. In fact, they seem pretty durable. Granted, they aren't going to last you as long as say, something like a work boot will, but that's to be expected from not only the style but the price. Hope that helps.

dat neck.

I'm about to cop some camo shorts, I've got too much camo going on right now

Also have Naked & Famous Suvin's coming in to my shop tomorrow. I don't need another pair of blue denim but I'm excited to try them on.
Suvins are cool. Right now, if I had to get a new pair of Naked & Famous I'd get the Vintage Dungarees. Those are sick.

Ya, it's a little weird but I figured you could probably get them cleaned cheap enough.

I've never seen them on sale but I also don't really know where to look. Do you know of any specific places? Grape vine hill doesn't seem to be loading for me for some reason.
weird, I haven't looked there in ages, maybe they're out of business? places like sierratradingpost, shopthefinest, virtualclotheshorse and other carry nice discount stuff. not always allen edmonds, however. occasionally you'll see AE seconds on ebay (stuff that might not quite be AAA QC level, or samples), from what I hear they are fine.

For what it's worth, I've yet to hear any horror stories about the Clark's soles. In fact, they seem pretty durable. Granted, they aren't going to last you as long as say, something like a work boot will, but that's to be expected from not only the style but the price. Hope that helps.

Hey man, thanks for the response! Yea, I talked to a buddy who has them and he told me after a yea of ownership of the beeswax leather oens they're holding up, especially at that price point. Gonna grab a pair tomorrow!

weird, I haven't looked there in ages, maybe they're out of business? places like sierratradingpost, shopthefinest, virtualclotheshorse and other carry nice discount stuff. not always allen edmonds, however. occasionally you'll see AE seconds on ebay (stuff that might not quite be AAA QC level, or samples), from what I hear they are fine.

Cool, I'll look into it. And ya, apparently allen edmonds had a sale at the beginning of the month for the ones that failed quality control but everyone said online that the blemishes are so small they're pretty much never noticeable.

Ive bought Allen Edmonds twice at Nordstroms Rack super cheap, if you have one of those nearby check there. Also as for buying used, AE offers all different levels of recrafting so for the right deal I say go for it.

recrafting link
http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/...iew?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

Ive bought Allen Edmonds twice at Nordstroms Rack super cheap, if you have one of those nearby check there. Also as for buying used, AE offers all different levels of recrafting so for the right deal I say go for it.

recrafting link
http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/...iew?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

Ya, part of what I was thinking but if it needs soles it brings it up to the price of new ones. Maybe I'll just wait and buy new ones. :/

And nah, closest nordstroms is like 1 1/2 away and I don't think it's a nordstroms rack.

Antagon

Tried on about 10 pairs of jeans today. Naked and famous had some cool stuff, but the weird guy fit looked a little off and the skinny guy I couldn't even get on. Apc ps is an awesome fit, except that the rise is so low that if I bend my knees and sit down, the jeans are pretty much hanging beneath my ass. Didn't really like the new standard that much.
Ended up going over budget and getting the momotaro 0702. Fit its great and I love the colour. Now just got to get through the breaking in period, these are ridiculously rigid. Buttoning them up its painful even.

Alucrid

Banned
Tried on about 10 pairs of jeans today. Naked and famous had some cool stuff, but the weird guy fit looked a little off and the skinny guy I couldn't even get on. Apc ps is an awesome fit, except that the rise is so low that if I bend my knees and sit down, the jeans are pretty much hanging beneath my ass. Didn't really like the new standard that much.
Ended up going over budget and getting the momotaro 0702. Fit its great and I love the colour. Now just got to get through the breaking in period, these are ridiculously rigid. Buttoning them up its painful even.

Yeah, I sag my apc petit standards a bit. another inch in the rise or so would be perfect, probably while i'll pick up diors once these apcs kick the bucket.

re: used clothing. i have no problem buying used, some of my best pieces are used, the only thing i'd be wary of is footwear. i'd probably only bite if they were worn a few times.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hmm. Not sure if I can justify $100 (down from $250 lol) for a well-fitting spring jacket-y thing that is literally a single piece of fabric. Like, there's no lining or pockets or anything. I do like it, but common sense keeps saying this is so dumb.

Zekes!

Hmm. Not sure if I can justify $100 (down from $250 lol) for a well-fitting spring jacket-y thing that is literally a single piece of fabric. Like, there's no lining or pockets or anything. I do like it, but common sense keeps saying this is so dumb.

Yeah, Scotch and Soda is nice, but a little overpriced.

Yeah, I sag my apc petit standards a bit. another inch in the rise or so would be perfect, probably while i'll pick up diors once these apcs kick the bucket.

re: used clothing. i have no problem buying used, some of my best pieces are used, the only thing i'd be wary of is footwear. i'd probably only bite if they were worn a few times.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just hold off and get them new then.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, all the model pics look fine, but on actual persons most pics in this thread looks like some sort of costume for me. I totally do not mean this in any way insulting though. It's just something I noticed. Maybe a cultural thing, dunno, but sometimes I fail to see the difference between the pics of people wearing stuff you guys really like and pics of people you make fun of.

Again, not intended to be insulting in any way.

I dunno, all the model pics look fine, but on actual persons most pics in this thread looks like some sort of costume for me. I totally do not mean this in any way insulting though. It's just something I noticed. Maybe a cultural thing, dunno, but sometimes I fail to see the difference between the pics of people wearing stuff you guys really like and pics of people you make fun of.

Again, not intended to be insulting in any way.

I have no idea what you're even saying.

Reposting since I got the last post on the page.

For macuser. Obviously I'd need the rest of the outfit, but there's your blazer. :p

I think it looks pretty good. I would get it tailored too and look real sharp.

Picked up a few things today on the cheap. Nothing to special, but prepping for spring/summer. Combined with the new sunglasses that I've bought since last summer.

clothes1.png

clothes2.png

clothes3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom