• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
How would you go about evaluating and deconstructing this outfit:

Cd6Tsm6.jpg

Did you size down? I usually wear 15 but went for a 14.5 and it fit perfectly. The waist was tapered in but a tad long- couldn't tell once tucked in, though.

From reading some other forums, certain stores haven't gotten the new styles yet so I highly stress making sure it has the correct label.

Shit. I'll try that.

Aegus

Anyone know what Our Legacy are like for trainers?

Our Legacy Runner I Mix

Didn't actually know they did trainers. I like it, but also at the same time think there might be too many shades and colours going on.

Also tempted by a dip-dye shirt.

I've found a Wood Wood one I kinda like, but would prefer something that wasn't also pin-stripe

3607_bb9099e2fe-s.jpg

JVIDICAN

Any opinions on one90one's button downs? I bought 2 a while back off jackthreads for around $25. Are they worth there normal price($65) as far as quality goes or am I better off just hunting through the stuff jackthreads occasionally puts up? Any better alternatives in that price range?

I dunno, all the model pics look fine, but on actual persons most pics in this thread looks like some sort of costume for me. I totally do not mean this in any way insulting though. It's just something I noticed. Maybe a cultural thing, dunno, but sometimes I fail to see the difference between the pics of people wearing stuff you guys really like and pics of people you make fun of.

Again, not intended to be insulting in any way.

I have no idea what you're even saying.

You're very dry. He's probably thinking of you specifically. You're like Chinner in the Post Your Girlfriend thread. Sometimes it's safe to mock him because the girl is so monstrously hideous, but other times people are hesitant to make fun and praise him.

Case in point.

I've found a Wood Wood one I kinda like, but would prefer something that wasn't also pin-stripe

3607_bb9099e2fe-s.jpg

Will you be wearing this in a year? This design is this cycle's patchwork shirt:

FyZsTDw.jpg

Any opinions on one90one's button downs? I bought 2 a while back off jackthreads for around $25. Are they worth there normal price($65) as far as quality goes or am I better off just hunting through the stuff jackthreads occasionally puts up? Any better alternatives in that price range?
don't know anything about this label, but since you seem to be comfortable shopping online you can pretty frequently get very nice shirts (say $200+ usd) for around $65 on places like yoox, gilt, and myhabit. Stuff like mauro grifoni, brian dales, calvin klein collection, guy rover, etc. the first couple labels have some casual plaids for about that on yoox right now.
Anyone know what Our Legacy are like for trainers?

Our Legacy Runner I Mix

Didn't actually know they did trainers. I like it, but also at the same time think there might be too many shades and colours going on.

3607_bb9099e2fe-s.jpg
I think that can look good, but it's worth considering the longevity of this kind of thing. fwiw, I think pattern-blocked shirts are generally more interesting:
NoOYmvp.jpg

But that's because I like clean lines. You could also go hardcore mode and do this:
pattern blocking, mixed fabrics, *and* garment shifting all in one!

the 70s are quickly approaching. Need some warm wether shoes. How do you all like these sperry's? Feel like they could go with any jeans and any shorts (almost).

Link

Side note, is it really going to take this thread TWO YEARS to get to 20k?

I have these guys. Got them probably March of 2012 and are worn to hell, I don't know if they don't last as long as I wish they did or if I just beat the hell out of them on too many nights out drinking. Still nice looking shoes, and work well in the summer.

0195115_1_490x300.jpg

I have these guys. Got them probably March of 2012 and are worn to hell, I don't know if they don't last as long as I wish they did or if I just beat the hell out of them on too many nights out drinking. Still nice looking shoes, and work well in the summer.

I like those a lot, already have brown shoes though

Ordered an American Apparel long sleeve top just for messing around. They're great, feel comfortable and the fit is really nice. Lots of length for my tall body while making shoulders look huge.

I should have hopped on this train long ago.

So, I'm looking to finally invest in a nice pair of jeans.

A lot of you seem to recommend Naked&Famous, but are there any other brands you can suggest?

I was like at Nudie Jeans and they seem interesting because they seem to offer more fits than N&F

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Pretty much any normal shoe; I never felt there needed to be much stylistic difference between seasons, aside from maybe a move away from the dark and muted fall/winter colors and a bit lighter weight construction.

Canvas slip-ons and espadrilles, moccs, bucks, chukkas, loafers, etc. I just think boat shoes are super ugly and remind me of something an awkward 3rd-grader in private school would wear.

Lirlond

+1 on boat shoes being ugly. I don't see the need for seasonal shoes. Unless you wear boots in the winter and shoes in the summer.

Pretty much any normal shoe; I never felt there needed to be much stylistic difference between seasons, aside from maybe a move away from the dark and muted fall/winter colors and a bit lighter weight construction.

Canvas slip-ons and espadrilles, moccs, bucks, chukkas, loafers, etc. I just think boat shoes are super ugly and remind me of something an awkward 3rd-grader in private school would wear.

1. My little brother is actually in boarding school, thank you.
2. Those are some good suggestions. It just feels weird wearing some of those with shorts. The ones that come up higher on the ankle specifically.

+1 on boat shoes being ugly. I don't see the need for seasonal shoes. Unless you wear boots in the winter and shoes in the summer.

1. can't tell, are you suggesting that it would actually be okay to wear boots in the summer?

Alucrid

Banned
1. My little brother is actually in boarding school, thank you.
2. Those are some good suggestions. It just feels weird wearing some of those with shorts. The ones that come up higher on the ankle specifically.

1. can't tell, are you suggesting that it would actually be okay to wear boots in the summer?

are you talking about hi tops or cropped pants?

yes, i wear boots during the summer

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
If you're tucking in a shirt you better be on your way to work.
If you don't tuck your shirt, you look like every other bro on the street who wants to wear a shirt with buttons but is afraid of looking 'gay'.

Tucking is confidence. Confidence is tucking.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
what the hell are you talking about?
A lot of guys seem to think that looking nice and caring about the way they present makes them look 'gay', and so make sure to look a little bit sloppy, e.g. shorts have to be baggy, shirts are untucked no matter how long they are, etc. I thought this was a common thing?

A lot of guys seem to think that looking nice and caring about the way they present makes them look 'gay'. I thought this was a common thing?

What does tucking in your shirt have to do with that? I feel wayy more confident untucked. Feels like I'm being true to myself.

Alucrid

Banned
A lot of guys seem to think that looking nice and caring about the way they present makes them look 'gay'. I thought this was a common thing?

well shit i don't think any of us would be posting in here if we didn't think like that. i just don't think tucking in your shirt makes it look better automatically. there's situations to tuck and situations not to tuck. thinking there's some sort of catch all rule like that stupid, it's like thinking "oh shit I'm wearing a shirt with a collar, I'm all adult like"

i'll steal this from styleforum for your reference.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
well shit i don't think any of us would be posting in here if we didn't think like that. i just don't think tucking in your shirt makes it look better automatically. there's situations to tuck and situations not to tuck. thinking there's some sort of catch all rule like that stupid, it's like thinking "oh shit I'm wearing a shirt with a collar, I'm all adult like"
Sure, but some shirts are just really long and should be tucked. My thinking is if you want to wear them untucked, why not buy shorter shirts, or get them shortened?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
ok...but that's not what your point was.
Uh, okay?
For the record, I don't always tuck shirts, but I usually do if they're of a certain length. People tend to automatically think it looks fancy. I don't mind that.
I think it's silly to say tucking shirts is just for work. In a lot of contexts you make an impression just by going tucked where everyone else is afraid to.
Who said those of us who live life untucked aren't buying short shirts.
I see a lot of people out who aren't! Just a pet peeve of mine. But if you are confident and make the always untucked thing work well, good for you. I don't actually believe in any fixed rules of fashion, everything has exceptions.

Uh, okay?
For the record, I don't always tuck shirts, but I usually do if they're of a certain length. People tend to automatically think it looks fancy. I don't mind that.
I think it's silly to say tucking shirts is just for work. In a lot of contexts you make an impression just by going tucked where everyone else is afraid to.

What makes you think anyone is afraid?

Sure, but some shirts are just really long and should be tucked. My thinking is if you want to wear them untucked, why not buy shorter shirts, or get them shortened?

So... What's it matter to you if my shirts are untucked/tucked? I normally wear my shirts untucked because I'm usually wearing a sweater over it or am wearing it casually.

During the spring/summer where I don't need a jacket but something light and will use either my chambray or Oxford shirts as a top layer, you expect me to tuck in my shirt when it's worn unbuttoned? Nope!

Alucrid

Banned
so what does shirt length have to with your original post of people thinking they'll look gay if they tuck their shirts in and tucking in shirts projecting confidence now?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
During the spring/summer where I don't need a jacket but something light and will use either my chambray or Oxford shirts as a top layer, you expect me to tuck in my shirt when it's worn unbuttoned? Nope!
I never tuck in an unbuttoned shirt used as a top layer. I don't actually believe in fixed, unbendable rules.
so what does shirt length have to with your original post of people thinking they'll look gay if they tuck their shirts in and tucking in shirts projecting confidence now?
A lot of people buy fancy shirts, which are usually long, and don't tuck them in so you can see that they buy nice clothes but they don't want to look too nice. Or at least that's the impression I get.
I think not caring about that stupidity and dressing to look the best you can is the way to go.
I'm not saying that you can't ever look good if you go untucked, or that there's any rules you have to go by with no exceptions, I was just reacting against the 'tucked only for the workplace' post.
Maybe most people go untucked because majority opinion thinks it looks better rather than being scared.
Majority opinion is often wrong, especially when it comes to fashion.

I've never liked boat shoes, doubt I ever will. Honestly in the summer, I just wear flip-flops 24/7. I don't care if it's not fashionable, I love them (and summer in Seattle is 2 months long).

So, I'm looking to finally invest in a nice pair of jeans.

A lot of you seem to recommend Naked&Famous, but are there any other brands you can suggest?

I was like at Nudie Jeans and they seem interesting because they seem to offer more fits than N&F
Naked & Famous are highly recommended in this thread because of a number of reasons: lots of style options, great fit, quality construction and perhaps the biggest reason, extremely affordable price point.

Nudie is alright but they're definitely not my favorite. What's your price range like? Also what style of jean are you looking for? If you can afford them, brands like Momotaro and Pure Blue Japan are some of the best you can get. Below that (price wise) I'd reccomend Naked & Famous and 3Sixteen. On the cheap end (below $100) the only thing you should pay attention to is Unbranded (which is actually made in the same factory as APC, believe it or not). Hope that helps.

If you don't tuck your shirt, you look like every other bro on the street who wants to wear a shirt with buttons but is afraid of looking 'gay'.

Tucking is confidence. Confidence is tucking.
I know what you're trying to say, maybe 'gay' wasn't the right word. Perhaps, uncomfortable? Stiff? I know a lot of guys who refuse to tuck in their shirts cite the "I don't want to look like I just came from work" excuse.

While I'm fully on board with #teamtucked, there are definitely situations where an untucked shirt looks better. It really depends on the cut of the shirt and the outfit.

A lot of people buy fancy shirts, which are usually long, and don't tuck them in so you can see that they buy nice clothes but they don't want to look too nice. Or at least that's the impression I get.

Well, when I buy my fancy shirt, I will tuck usually when wearing nice slacks followed by a light sweater versus me wearing a flannel shirt with some jeans. I'd like to assume that people will tuck/untuck depending on the shirt material itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom