• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gila said:
Anyone know similar jackets to the Quantum of Solace Bond Jacket, except a bit less cheaper (100-200) range. Doesn't have to be as good as quality, but looks closely related

cl036-quantum-jacket.jpg

cl036-jacket-back.jpg

Ships to Canada too hopefully please

Thats a baracuta style jacket. ASOS has them on sale right now. Unsure about what colours tey are doing though.

bob page

Found this great post on SA from a chick trying to help clueless guys:
amishsexpot said:
My advice for men who don't know how to shop for basics:

- 1 pair jeans: dark wash (raw/selvedge whatever is optional), non-bootcut, no distressing/fading, proper inseam length, no obnoxious pocket detailing (e.g. buttoned flaps, excessive stitching decoration).
(Ex. Levis, Lands End Canvas, H&M, Uniqlo, Gap)

- 1 pair of chinos: non-bootcut, non-pleated (flat-front), no cargo pockets.
(Ex. J. Crew, Uniqlo, Gap)

- 3 basic t-shirts: v-neck preferable to crewneck, properly fitted in shoulders and waist, solid colors, cotton, ideally not an obnoxious graphic t-shirt.
(Ex. You can pretty much find this anywhere - Target, H&M, Gap, AA, etc.)

- 2 button-down dress shirts: white or blue preferable (avoid pink, purple, black, red, those weird metallic/holographic effect shirts), subtle stripes are ok, slim-fit if possible.
(Ex. Uniqlo, Lands End Canvas)

- 2 button-down casual shirts: I am a sucker for plaid but whatever floats your boat. Avoid super contrasty, bold stripes.
(Ex. Uniqlo, Gap, H&M)

- 1+ outerwear: pea coat, parka, duffel coat, etc. If you're paying up for this, make sure it's quality. Look at material content (acrylic is not that warm; wool is). Make sure it's heavy enough for the winter.

- 2 sweaters: cardigan, pullover, crew/v-neck. Avoid those ugly half-zip up mock turtleneck things your mom buys you for Christmas. If you are older than mid-20s, try to branch out from hooded sweatshirts for god's sake. Cotton/cotton-blend sweaters are easier to care for than wool but if you're not opposed to dry cleaning bills, try merino or cashmere.

- 1 pair of casual shoes: chukkas, desert boot, Chucks, etc. Look for quality leather, good soles. Avoid loafers and moccasins unless you (and others) are sure you can pull it off.
(Ex. Clarks, Red Wing, Converse, etc. - Guys, feel free to add more suggestions)

- 1 pair of sneakers for the gym/exercising - go hog wild. But don't try to wear ugly sneakers, boot cut jeans, a graphic t-shirt with a blazer -- I will cut you.

- 1 pair of dressier shoes: wingtips, brogues, just plain leather brown/black shoes. Avoid square/pointy toe. Chisel toes are also not as versatile as just a plain round (not TOO round) toe.

- 1 nice watch (optional): Yeah, you can look at your cell phone for the time, but once you wear a nice watch, you'll wonder how you lived without it. Also, it'll make you look like a real live grown-up. Automatic watches are great so you never have to worry about changing the battery. Make sure it's big enough to suit your frame/wrist.

Hope this helps! Please feel free to correct me/add other suggestions. :keke:

Boken

Banned
I thin the thing that is missing from that essential basics list - the navy blazer (otherwise the whole list is pretty spot on). Navy blazers are so versatile and seriously go with ANYTHING. They dress up a casual outfit and they fit right into a smart outfit.

Right now, I'd kill for a very nice navy blazer. They're surprisingly hard to find.

So far I've only found a washed twill blazer, but I don't know if I like it enough. Twill seems almost too casual (I want to be able to wear it dressy too). Thoughts on twill, guys?

entremet

Boken said:
I thin the thing that is missing from that essential basics list - the navy blazer (otherwise the whole list is pretty spot on). Navy blazers are so versatile and seriously go with ANYTHING. They dress up a casual outfit and they fit right into a smart outfit.

Right now, I'd kill for a very nice navy blazer. They're surprisingly hard to find.

So far I've only found a washed twill blazer, but I don't know if I like it enough. Twill seems almost too casual (I want to be able to wear it dressy too). Thoughts on twill, guys?
Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, J.Crew, etc.

For budget you can try Uniqlo.

bob page

Boken said:

Uniqlo sells black and navy blazers for $90ish.

bob page

Alucrid said:
Seems too basic. Only 2enjoyable pairs of pants? 5 shirts? No jackets aside from a winter coat?
I'm pretty sure these are the basics, which means you should start with (not limit yourself to) at least that amount.

entremet

bob page said:
I'm pretty sure these are the basics, which means you should start with (not limit yourself to) at least that amount.
Yeah, that's what I figured. It's also targeted at newbies, which was her intention. You have much more outfit options with this starting set than just with with T-Shirt, Jeans, Sneakers, combo, which is to the go to uniform for many men, sadly.

Alucrid

Banned
[/LIST]
bob page said:
Eh. Id say you should have blue and black jeans to start with and light/dark tan and probably grey chinos.

I dislike blazers especially with jeans. If id have to wear o.e with chinos id too ably just go with a suit. Bit yeah missing a navy or charcoal suit that list is.

Alucrid

Banned
entrement said:
Yeah, that's what I figured. It's also targeted at newbies, which was her intention. You have much more outfit options with this starting set than just with with T-Shirt, Jeans, Sneakers, combo, which is to the go to uniform for many men, sadly.
That's what I rock most days. Its all in the fit though.

entremet

Alucrid said:
That's what I rock most days. Its all in the fit though.
Yeah. A well fitted AA shirt, slim fit selvage denim and some Common Projects and you have great look.

I'm thinking more of the guy with oversized, worn out tees, poor quality, grandpa jeans, and tattered sneakers.

Doytch

Alucrid said:
[/LIST]
Eh. Id say you should have blue and black jeans to start with and light/dark tan and probably grey chinos.

I dislike blazers especially with jeans. If id have to wear o.e with chinos id too ably just go with a suit. Bit yeah missing a navy or charcoal suit that list is.
To each their own, but blazers are really versatile and can totally be rocked with jeans. And any colour jeans too, not just different blue washes but white, red, etc. This weekend I rocked a cord jacket with broken in jeans for brunch, and a casualish Zara blazer with sleeves pushed up and dark 514s at night. It's all in the cut and fabric, since yeah, you might have a tough time breaking up a suit to pair the jacket with jeans (though it can be done!)

I mean, you could stick to just chinos and slacks, but menswear is restrictive enough as-is IMO, don't need to add more!

Alucrid

Banned
entrement said:
Yeah. A well fitted AA shirt, slim fit selvage denim and some Common Projects and you have great look.

I'm thinking more of the guy with oversized, worn out tees, poor quality, grandpa jeans, and tattered sneakers.
Speaking of common projects can't wait for the s/s 2012 line up

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
macuser1of5 said:
I'm not looking forward to their higher and higher prices.

Yeah I don't need 'Premiuim' achilles which aren't as streamlined IMO. Just seems like an excuse to jack up the price. My CPs still look brand new, don't think the design needs to be improved.

ianp622

Avoid those ugly half-zip up mock turtleneck things your mom buys you for Christmas.
Do people really see these as ugly? I never thought there was anything wrong with them (especially since I have a thin neck).

ACE 1991

Do beanies generally look better with the brim rolled up or rolled down? It seems like the one i bought from urban can be worn either way.

_Isaac

ACE 1991 said:
Do beanies generally look better with the brim rolled up or rolled down? It seems like the one i bought from urban can be worn either way.

Rolled down. Not that it's a big deal. Switch it up every now and then.

Eric WK

ACE 1991 said:

Down, especially if it's oversized and if you bought it from Urban it probably is.

Davidion

Caught this on Slickdeals

Casual Male Big & Tall or Rochester Big & Tall is offering $75 off a $100 purchase online or in store.

http://casual-male-big-and-tall.destinationxl.com/
http://rochester-big-and-tall.destinationxl.com/mens-big-and-tall-store/

Coupon Code: RCTV

When you checkout, you can select ship to store, pick a local store, and there is no shipping charge. Otherwise shipping is a killer at $17.95.
Good until November 6th.

Selection isn't that great, but at Casual Male XL I found this, which are a decent looking pair of chukkas.

http://casual-male-big-and-tall.des...ss-boots/HP-Corona-Chukka-Boot/cat60122/M3522

Davidion said:
Caught this on Slickdeals

Casual Male Big & Tall or Rochester Big & Tall is offering $75 off a $100 purchase online or in store.

http://casual-male-big-and-tall.destinationxl.com/
http://rochester-big-and-tall.destinationxl.com/mens-big-and-tall-store/

Coupon Code: RCTV

When you checkout, you can select ship to store, pick a local store, and there is no shipping charge. Otherwise shipping is a killer at $17.95.
Good until November 6th.

Selection isn't that great, but at Casual Male XL I found this, which are a decent looking pair of chukkas.

http://casual-male-big-and-tall.des...ss-boots/HP-Corona-Chukka-Boot/cat60122/M3522
I can't find a single thing I would buy, much less fit me. Nice deal though, shame.

TxdoHawk

I just feel like throwing in my twenty-four cents on this.

- 1 pair jeans: dark wash (raw/selvedge whatever is optional), non-bootcut, no distressing/fading, proper inseam length, no obnoxious pocket detailing (e.g. buttoned flaps, excessive stitching decoration).
(Ex. Levis, Lands End Canvas, H&M, Uniqlo, Gap)

Should really add a pair in medium wash, but I can't disagree with this. She completely avoids talking about what the proper inseam length actually is though, which is important. Dark denim shouldn't be so long it has to be cuffed if you are trying to dress them up, but you have to compensate for the fact that even sanforized denim will shrink in the inseam a little after its first wash. Stretching in the waist is an issue, too. I actually think buying a pair of jeans that fits well post-first-wash-and-stretch can be one of the hardest things in men's fashion.

- 1 pair of chinos: non-bootcut, non-pleated (flat-front), no cargo pockets.
(Ex. J. Crew, Uniqlo, Gap)

Should also be as slim as looks reasonable without being skinny. Most chinos are shame tarp bad in the legs. I want to specifically mention Land's End Canvas here, because their slim fit chinos are awesome.

- 3 basic t-shirts: v-neck preferable to crewneck, properly fitted in shoulders and waist, solid colors, cotton, ideally not an obnoxious graphic t-shirt.
(Ex. You can pretty much find this anywhere - Target, H&M, Gap, AA, etc.)

I think crew looks better, but to each their own. Interesting she mentions Uniqlo everywhere else but here, their $4 t-shirts are comfy as all hell for the price, and look good if you size appropriately.

- 2 button-down dress shirts: white or blue preferable (avoid pink, purple, black, red, those weird metallic/holographic effect shirts), subtle stripes are ok, slim-fit if possible.
(Ex. Uniqlo, Lands End Canvas)

These also should be as slim as you can stand. Failing that, tailored. A well-fitting dress shirt looks ten thousand times better than the slop that passes for off the rack these days with giant sleeves and shame tarp blousey bodies.

- 2 button-down casual shirts: I am a sucker for plaid but whatever floats your boat. Avoid super contrasty, bold stripes.
(Ex. Uniqlo, Gap, H&M)
Everyone and their mother wears plaid. You really have to just go with what looks good on you, though. There are so many options here, but lots of bad ones.

- 1+ outerwear: pea coat, parka, duffel coat, etc. If you're paying up for this, make sure it's quality. Look at material content (acrylic is not that warm; wool is). Make sure it's heavy enough for the winter.

Should really have three: One light airy jacket for breezy warm days, one medium jacket for cold days where a winter coat would be overkill, one oh-shit-it's-cold-as-balls serious coat. She also forgets to mention you should generally buy "safe" colors that will go with your entire wardrobe, like black and grey.

- 2 sweaters: cardigan, pullover, crew/v-neck. Avoid those ugly half-zip up mock turtleneck things your mom buys you for Christmas. If you are older than mid-20s, try to branch out from hooded sweatshirts for god's sake. Cotton/cotton-blend sweaters are easier to care for than wool but if you're not opposed to dry cleaning bills, try merino or cashmere.

Should have both crew and v-neck, they offer different layering possibilities.

- 1 pair of casual shoes: chukkas, desert boot, Chucks, etc. Look for quality leather, good soles. Avoid loafers and moccasins unless you (and others) are sure you can pull it off.
(Ex. Clarks, Red Wing, Converse, etc. - Guys, feel free to add more suggestions)
Desert boots should not be your only casual shoe, you should at least have a pair of sneakers that aren't gym rat material as well.

- 1 pair of dressier shoes: wingtips, brogues, just plain leather brown/black shoes. Avoid square/pointy toe. Chisel toes are also not as versatile as just a plain round (not TOO round) toe.

I think the real suggestion should be two pairs, one in a shade of brown and one in black.

snoopen

so, what's wrong with male jean shorts, i recently got a pair of very nice / tight fitting and wore them out for the first time last night..

why aren't men allowed to wear them?

Is it just me or does anyone else have a real problem with layers? like I cannot wear a long-sleeved shirt under jumper for the life of me as I feel almost "constricted" or a suit with a coat on, god that would be hell like for me.

Id rather be cold and comfortable than warm and restricted.

Maybe im just odd...

Shopping in the morning, hoping for a new coat/jacket and maybe some jumpers, some jeans would also be a treat.

snoopen said:
so, what's wrong with male jean shorts, i recently got a pair of very nice / tight fitting and wore them out for the first time last night..

I don't think they're bad. As long as you roll up the ends show the frayed edges don't show.

snoopen said:

Because khaki/flat-front shorts are superior in every way.

RJNavarrete said:

I fail to see what is wrong with that. J. Crew has many variations of that. Many other companies like Polo, Old Navy, etc. do as well. I think that look is one of those things that never goes out of style.

In that search you posted a vast majority of the models are young men.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The cowl-neck shirt I picked up last weekend, and a new jacket bought with some birthday monies. The cowl is oddly fun to wear and I can totally go all Assassin's Creed by pulling the neck up like a hood, haha.

Picture0003.jpg

overcast

Does anybody know what those leather zip up jackets with sweater-like hoods are called? Sorry if I make no sense. I figure you guys would know.

Yoboman

I've noticed a lot of guys around with plain black studs in both earlobes. I normally don't like piercings but I think its a good look, a bit more classy than traditional silver piercings and hoops. Looks good with a short hair cut

Zyzyxxz

I was at Express last month and I really wanted their cardigan but at $60 I wanted to explore other options and possibly ones that weren't as expensive since its Southern California and cold season last for only 2-3 months here so no point in spending alot.

Any help here?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
..and with this post I'm subscribing, great OT with a lot of nice links to browse. Let's see if I actually buy stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom