• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayStorm

So uhhm... am I in the right thread to ask about glove-sizing?

If so: Here's my issue: long and thin fingers/hands.

When going by the apparently usual sizing chart (measuring around the knuckles) I'd end up with a nice and snug fit in the palm, but my fingers would prefer an additional ~2 cm of glove-finger length.

I'd ideally also want gloves made of non-synthetic materials (inside out) and that are touchscreen compatible. And to top it off they should be available in Austria and cost not more than 100 euros. Any advice (at least with the sizing)?

Jme

bob page said:
I have a question about corduroys: is it acceptable to wear these in a business-casual work environment? I usually wear a button down shirt, tie, pea coat in this kind of weather and have a few pairs of corduroys that I never wear.

Depends on the cords I guess. Some corduroys are basically jeans, and some are those silly "fat" cords. A proper pair should be good for business casual, I imagine though. Tie them off with a nice contrasting belt (like say, tan cords + dark brown leather belt + shirt/tie) and I think you've got a perfectly acceptable business casual outfit.

Hmm going shopping this weekend for winter stuff and I havent a clue where to start! I was pretty clued up for summer but then had to save money like crazy till this month so im not really uptodate atall!

Outfits I can wear with my boots are about all im after, while trying to avoid the massive influx of ugly "christmas" design jumpers kicking around.

kaskade

I'm thinking of taking a trip to nyc next weekend to look for a coat. I saw a nice pea coat from uniqlo for 130 in grey. I figure I still have some time before it starts getting really cold (minus the crazy snow)

Notrollious said:
Just bought this jacket.

on879377-00vliv01.jpg

What do you guys think?

Fake edit: Was originally 100, got it for around 60ish.

I got the same thing around a week ago.

kudos.

ACE 1991

kudos. said:
Also 20 years old, I'm trying to find a good winter hat that doesn't look ridiculous. I actually like the brush black beanie on UO. I think only certain people can pull off oversized beanies.

Hmmm, good to know. I have somewhat thick hair, and I tend to dress, for lack of a better term, hipsterish. Anything from UO other than the brush black you would recommend?

Zilch

Banned
kaskade said:
I'm thinking of taking a trip to nyc next weekend to look for a coat. I saw a nice pea coat from uniqlo for 130 in grey. I figure I still have some time before it starts getting really cold (minus the crazy snow)

this final collection of +J at Uniqlo has some nice coats/jackets, I'd definitely check it out.

Gant is right across 5th ave from the new Uniqlo, Gant and Gant Rugger have nice coats.

Bloomingdale's mens department will have a variety of designer coats.

if you were coming earlier in the week you could check out the Surface to Air sample sale... more for me. actually this'll be a SS11 sale so there might not be any decent jackets.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really need some new shoes, but I'm so indecisive. I find a nice pair of wingtips, but as I'm about to order them, I see some chukkas that I want equally. I can't decide which ones to get, and in the process of figuring it out, I find some amazing desert boots. A few minutes later, boat shoes. Etc. Argh.

hermit7

Has anyone ever heard of Postage denim? Ordered a pair online and was curious about the brand. Searching brought me very little information and I was a little off put by that fact.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone who ordered from JackTheads has anything to say about sizes? I'm thinking of ordering this cardigan, but I don't see much else that interests me though. I'm not even sure I'll bother actually.

Today I got my jacket from Macys, and I had ordered a plaid shirt with it, both Small in size. The jacket is perfectly fine, but the plaid shirt looks like what I'd expect from a large, not a small. I hate how fucked up sizes are from one company to another, and size charts are bullshit.

This is really what has made me really hesitant about buying any clothes online for a while now, especially since I'm in Canada and shipping charges are often high.

bob page

Ether_Snake said:
Anyone who ordered from JackTheads has anything to say about sizes? I'm thinking of ordering this cardigan, but I don't see much else that interests me though.

Today I got my jacket from Macys, and I had ordered a plaid shirt with it, both Small in size. The jacket is perfectly fine, but the plaid shirt looks like what I'd expect from a large, not a small. I hate how fucked up sizes are from one company to another, and size charts are bullshit.

This is really what has made me really hesitant about buying any clothes online for a while now, especially since I'm in Canada and shipping charges are often high.
Yeah, don't order Buffalo. Buffalo is made for large men and their sizes are HUGE. I once picked out a size small shirt and it fit like a large. Never again. But I guess that could be said about department store stuff, in general.

Most of the stuff on JackThreads is tailored for slim-fit men, just like Gilt, etc.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Actually the jacket is from Buffalo, and it was a size small and perfectly fine, but the plaid shirt was from another company, sized Small, and huge. That's what I meant. At least it didn't cost me much.

I remember S-sized stuff from Express.com is also too big. I can't imagine people having no other option than wearing oversize clothes. And then sometimes you have XS, but again no way to no in advance if this time XS = S, or if it will be too small.

Alucrid

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Actually the jacket is from Buffalo, and it was a size small and perfectly fine, but the plaid shirt was from another company, sized Small, and huge. That's what I meant. At least it didn't cost me much.

I remember S-sized stuff from Express.com is also too big. I can't imagine people having no other option than wearing oversize clothes. And then sometimes you have XS, but again no way to no in advance if this time XS = S, or if it will be too small.

What cut do you get? I bought a few of them for work since I don't really care about quality / fashionz while I'm there. The MX1 fitted is pretty damn slim.

hermit7 said:
Has anyone ever heard of Postage denim? Ordered a pair online and was curious about the brand. Searching brought me very little information and I was a little off put by that fact.

If you're willing to spend that much I can point you towards better brands. Not too impress by what I saw on their site.

bob page

Ether_Snake said:

Express shirts are way too long on me. Even at Banana Republic I have to get a Small because otherwise it's too baggy in the chest and arms.

Basically, it pays off for me to shop at stores geared towards slim-fit people. The average department store caters to the generic fat American and their sizes are messed as a result.

hermit7

Alucrid said:
What cut do you get? I bought a few of them for work since I don't really care about quality / fashionz while I'm there. The MX1 fitted is pretty damn slim.

If you're willing to spend that much I can point you towards better brands. Not too impress by what I saw on their site.
I got them for like 60 dollars. We will see when they come I can always send them back if I dislike them.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
bob page said:
Express shirts are way too long on me. Their slim fit shirts are ok, but still larger than I usually like.

I tried on an XS slim fit at Express a few weeks ago and the length was absurd. The shirt was literally 6-8 inches longer than anything else I've ever seen.

kid ness

Good evening GAF, hope everyone's doing well on this fine halloween night.

I was hoping someone could steer me in the direction of a nice, maroon zip up hoodie. I've been searching for something of that sort with no luck -- all the ones I find are a bit too plain, baggy, etc. Something like this(which I own and love) but in a maroon-ish color.

Ether_Snake said:
Anyone who ordered from JackTheads has anything to say about sizes? I'm thinking of ordering this cardigan, but I don't see much else that interests me though. I'm not even sure I'll bother actually.
I ordered a sweater from JackThreads in medium and it was the longest shirt I've ever purchased, it actually went all the way to down to my mid thigh. On the website, their models are like 6" or 6"1' wearing a medium, and I'm only a couple of inches shorter -- not sure what the story was there.

kid ness said:
Good evening GAF, hope everyone's doing well on this fine halloween night.

I was hoping someone could steer me in the direction of a nice, maroon zip up hoodie. I've been searching for something of that sort with no luck -- all the ones I find are a bit too plain, baggy, etc. Something like this(which I own and love) but in a maroon-ish color.

So this?

bob page

Also selling a pair of black Uniqlo chinos (straight slim, 30x32) for $22 shipped. Worn twice, hemmed to 32 by Uniqlo and don't fit me right. That's what I get for not trying them on!

Alucrid

Banned
bob page said:
Also selling a pair of black Uniqlo chinos (straight slim, 30x32) for $22 shipped. Worn twice, hemmed to 32 by Uniqlo and don't fit me right. That's what I get for not trying them on!

I haven't tried on the last like 10 pairs of pants i've bought.

bob page

Alucrid said:
I haven't tried on the last like 10 pairs of pants i've bought.
I usually don't, but I also usually only buy jeans and don't get stuff hemmed. I don't really like my chino's/slacks being the same length as my jeans.

Alucrid

Banned
bob page said:
I usually don't, but I also usually only buy jeans and don't get stuff hemmed. I don't really like my chino's/slacks being the same length as my jeans.

Oh, the problem is length wise?

Hey guys, I'm starting to think about fashion more, especially business casual fashion, and I got this topcoat(or whatever I'm supposed to call them) 2 years ago for my birthday. Now I'm somewhat concerned that it looks clueless. Keep in mind I wear this with business casual, typically button shirts with no tie. It's kind of like this: http://www.amazon.com/Single-Breasted-Luxury-Length-Topcoat/dp/B001IAI7LA/ref=pd_sbs_a_2

Cool, awful, or depends?

EDIT: Otherwise, do you have any advice on business casual winter coats? Not too hipster, not too conservative, you know.

Alucrid

Banned
bob page said:
Yessir, I like my non-jeans a bit shorter (no stacks).

Ahh ok. Best to measure the inseam of a pant you like then just to be double sure about how long you're getting them. I usually take measurements of different pants and then write them down so I can easily refer to them.

Guevara said:
The design is fine but it looks like cheap fake leather to me.

Sleeves look like would cover your entire hand and then some too.

Leather looks ok, and you can pretty cheaply shorten the sleeves assuming there are no buttons.

Palladium boots are nice as casual street/outdoor boots, just don't try to wear them in a formal or dressed up manner. They're kind of like chucks in that regard.

this guy

I bought black leather Palladium boots last month and I like them alot. They're pretty comfortable once they're broken in, and they're starting to wear in pretty nicely.

Guevara

macuser1of5 said:
Leather looks ok, and you can pretty cheaply shorten the sleeves assuming there are no buttons.

Palladium boots are nice as casual street/outdoor boots, just don't try to wear them in a formal or dressed up manner. They're kind of like chucks in that regard.
Yeah I'm picturing wearing them in crappy weather like sneakers.
this guy said:
I bought black leather Palladium boots last month and I like them alot. They're pretty comfortable once they're broken in, and they're starting to wear in pretty nicely.
Cool thanks. They're pretty cheap so I was worried they'd fall apart.

They are on the cheap end of the spectrum but are fairly solid. I haven't worn a pair in a number of years but from what I recall they aren't disappointing in the least bit.

Alucrid

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
They are on the cheap end of the spectrum but are fairly solid. I haven't worn a pair in a number of years but from what I recall they aren't disappointing in the least bit.

They trade looks for utility.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Just saw an article today about Uniqlo wanting to be the Apple Store of clothes and they're hoping to open up to 200 stores nationwide in the near future. So, keep a look out for that shit people!

Also, what's the best way to clean white canvas converse? Magic eraser?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Just saw an article today about Uniqlo wanting to be the Apple Store of clothes and they're hoping to open up to 200 stores nationwide in the near future. So, keep a look out for that shit people!

Also, what's the best way to clean white canvas converse? Magic eraser?

I use magic eraser for leather shoes, but converse you can just throw in the wash. Magic eraser works too though.

_Isaac

macuser1of5 said:
cut the sleeves? that would look janky especially since the rest of the jacket has finished seams.

I was referring to somebody's chinos. Sorry. I forgot to refresh the page before posting. I like that jacket btw. :p

IceCold

What's a good affordable (< $400) brand for winter coats. I'm talking about something that will keep me warm in -30 degrees Celsius temperatures here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom