• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I know what you're trying to say, maybe 'gay' wasn't the right word. Perhaps, uncomfortable? Stiff? I know a lot of guys who refuse to tuck in their shirts cite the "I don't want to look like I just came from work" excuse.
Yeah, that's it. Maybe the thing about guys being 'afraid of being seen as gay' is an Australian thing that doesn't translate. We have a pretty unique bro culture over here.
For the record I don't mind looking 'gay', whatever that means. A lot of gay dudes I know usually look sharp as hell.

Alucrid

Banned
I've never liked boat shoes, doubt I ever will. Honestly in the summer, I just wear flip-flops 24/7. I don't care if it's not fashionable, I love them (and summer in Seattle is 2 months long).

Naked & Famous are highly recommended in this thread because of a number of reasons: lots of style options, great fit, quality construction and perhaps the biggest reason, extremely affordable price point.

Nudie is alright but they're definitely not my favorite. What's your price range like? Also what style of jean are you looking for? If you can afford them, brands like Momotaro and Pure Blue Japan are some of the best you can get. Below that (price wise) I'd reccomend Naked & Famous and 3Sixteen. On the cheap end (below $100) the only thing you should pay attention to is Unbranded (which is actually made in the same factory as APC, believe it or not). Hope that helps.

I know what you're trying to say, maybe 'gay' wasn't the right word. Perhaps, uncomfortable? Stiff? I know a lot of guys who refuse to tuck in their shirts cite the "I don't want to look like I just came from work" excuse.

While I'm fully on board with #teamtucked, there are definitely situations where an untucked shirt looks better. It really depends on the cut of the shirt and the outfit.

you mean naked and famous, not apc right?

Yeah, that's it. Maybe the thing about guys being 'afraid of being seen as gay' is an Australian thing that doesn't translate. We have a pretty unique bro culture over here.
For the record I don't mind looking 'gay', whatever that means. A lot of gay dudes I know usually look sharp as hell.

you got a foot out of the hole then fell back in

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I don't tuck most of my shirts in because I actually move around during the day. Looks fine for the first ten minutes, but once you bend or reach for anything? Can't deal with all that mess.

I understood exactly what you meant. I think that attitude dies down the older one gets and the more women one actually knows and talks to.

APC is going downhill man.

I think we can all agree the half tuck is a universal joke signal.

white-belt-tshirt-tucked.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
Nope, ever since APC moved their manufacturing out of Italy they've been made in the same factory as Unbranded (China).

oh, macau then not china

http://www.maurilioamorim.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/white-belt-tshirt-tucked.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

the switch to macau happened a while ago, still the fit is perfect for me

APC is still a fantastic brand, don't get me wrong. Regardless of where it's made, the materials are still top of the line and the construction is great. Just kind of lame they charge the same as when they were made in Italy now that they're made in China, but hey, that's business.

oh, macau then not china

the switch to macau happened a while ago, still the fit is perfect for me
Yeah, Macau, which I think is technically part of China? Either way, it's not Italy. Still great jeans though.

http://www.maurilioamorim.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/white-belt-tshirt-tucked.jpg[iMG][/QUOTE]

Yep. Though it only works for Nathan Drake and even then, programmers used it for keeping him symmetrical.

Alucrid

Banned
APC is still a fantastic brand, don't get me wrong. Regardless of where it's made, the materials are still top of the line and the construction is great. Just kind of lame they charge the same as when they were made in Italy now that they're made in China, but hey, that's business.

Yeah, Macau, which I think is technically part of China? Either way, it's not Italy. Still great jeans though.

They'd probably be made by the Chinese in Italy anyways lol. And yes, semantics, but my tag says Macau :p

also by a while ago I mean like...five, six years

also when were apc jeans made in italy? i only remember tunisia before this. unless you're talking about unbranded

Naked & Famous are highly recommended in this thread because of a number of reasons: lots of style options, great fit, quality construction and perhaps the biggest reason, extremely affordable price point.

Nudie is alright but they're definitely not my favorite. What's your price range like? Also what style of jean are you looking for? If you can afford them, brands like Momotaro and Pure Blue Japan are some of the best you can get. Below that (price wise) I'd reccomend Naked & Famous and 3Sixteen. On the cheap end (below $100) the only thing you should pay attention to is Unbranded (which is actually made in the same factory as APC, believe it or not). Hope that helps.

I ideally want to spend between 150-200 for a solid pair.

medium.jpg

I like something along that color pattern. I don't want too dark, nor too light.

They'd probably be made by the Chinese in Italy anyways lol. And yes, semantics, but my tag says Macau :p

also by a while ago I mean like...five, six years

also when were apc jeans made in italy? i only remember tunisia before this. unless you're talking about unbranded
I always thought they were made in Italy before the switch? Maybe I'm wrong. Like you said, this would've been 6+ years ago.

medium.jpg

I like something along that color pattern. I don't want too dark, nor too light.
That's your standard Indigo denim then. There's not a denim brand out there that doesn't make that. Any of the brands I listed all have different variants. Since there's really just too many to list, my advice is to go to a website and just browse through and see which ones you like. I'll go ahead and recommend BlueOwl, in part because we have measurements for all of the jeans on the website, so you'll know exactly what you'll be getting.

Once you narrow it down to a few options you like, post them here and people can give you their opinions.

medium.jpg

Well, with raw indigo, you can basically wash it until you reach your desired shade, but most raw indigo jeans are on the dark side. Anything lighter was just treated or washed to reach a lighter shade I believe?

If it's raw denim, generally the cotton used to make the jeans was dyed in a lighter shade of Indigo and/or woven with a different color weft.

You can certainly achieve a lighter Indigo via pre-washing like some designers do, but then it's no longer raw denim, so kind of a different category for what he wants. Granted, his jeans will fade to that color as he wears them anyway, which is why raw denim is awesome.

I'm not sure how I feel about All Saints. I like some of their stuff (like those shoes), but their stores and whole brand image really annoy me. I feel like they're trying WAY too hard to appear edgy.

Just an observation.

EDIT: The All Saints lookbook is actually really nice. I'm impressed.

Antagon

If it's raw denim, generally the cotton used to make the jeans was dyed in a lighter shade of Indigo and/or woven with a different color weft.

You can certainly achieve a lighter Indigo via pre-washing like some designers do, but then it's no longer raw denim, so kind of a different category for what he wants. Granted, his jeans will fade to that color as he wears them anyway, which is why raw denim is awesome.

Natural Indigo is lighter then that as well. You don't see it too much though.

weirdguy_naturalindigo_01.jpg

Regarding the jeans, I really like my 1.5 oz Tellason's. Just checked and they've upped their price to 220, but they're tremendous. Really nice denim, great construction, nice thick patch and strong pockets / reinforced backpockets. The backpockets are some of the nicest I've seen after some fading.

dsc_0053ojsva.jpg

Yoshiya

Omg I looked up this Momotaro brand and found an article with the phrases "€1800" and "two year waiting list." K.

I love my APCs, I'll stick with that. Speaking of, I wouldn't mind another pair but since I bought my black PS I've done a shit-ton of squats. They've (somewhat) stretched with me, but I'm at a total loss with regards to a new pair. I sized down probably too much, 28, but they became fairly well fitting with time. How much more room in the thigh does the New Standard have? For reference a size 29 pair of Slim Jims I have are still fairly comfortable, though they are quite worn in.

Yoshiya

Ugh how confronting, I've exercised myself into a cut I'd have previously shunned. Talk about a pyrrhic victory.

I'm probably a bit fatter too so maybe I'll just go for PS in 30 and pray.

Antagon

Omg I looked up this Momotaro brand and found an article with the phrases "€1800" and "two year waiting list." K.

I love my APCs, I'll stick with that. Speaking of, I wouldn't mind another pair but since I bought my black PS I've done a shit-ton of squats. They've (somewhat) stretched with me, but I'm at a total loss with regards to a new pair. I sized down probably too much, 28, but they became fairly well fitting with time. How much more room in the thigh does the New Standard have? For reference a size 29 pair of Slim Jims I have are still fairly comfortable, though they are quite worn in.

Those Momotaro's you found are the Gold label jeans, their most expensive line. Personally I think they're the ugliest as well, but they're entirely handcrafted, which is what explains the price.

Normal Momotaro's are around 300$ and obviously have no waiting list.

Yoshiya

Those Momotaro's you found are the Gold label jeans, their most expensive line. Personally I think they're the ugliest as well, but they're entirely handcrafted, which is what explains the price.

Normal Momotaro's are around 300$ and obviously have no waiting list.

ah right, what I get for skimming the article. yeah the gold label line seems like the world's most fabulous dad jeans. you go momotaro.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I got these this weekend and have ideas for what shirts to wear with them, but am thinking about shoes. My brown Clark's might work, but I was thinking of getting grey Nike blazers, and I'm not sure anyone can pull off the grey on grey. Maybe I just get some white on white shoes? They are grey jeans btw.

So I got these this weekend and have ideas for what shirts to wear with them, but am thinking about shoes. My brown Clark's might work, but I was thinking of getting grey Nike blazers, and I'm not sure anyone can pull off the grey on grey. Maybe I just get some white on white shoes? They are grey jeans btw.

I wear grey soloist/adidas collabs with grey jeans all the time and I think it looks really fucking good.

Hey guys, I'm looking into purchasing a nice watch I can wear both casually and to elegant events. What would you guys recommend. My budget is around 250-350$

The other thing that puts me off on N&F is that I'm short, and all of the jeans are what? A length of 34? Ideally I'm fine with either 28/29/30 as a length. I can either get them hemmed, but that seems like it'd cheapen them, or I'd have to do some rolling up so I'm not tripping over myself.

friday

You should avoid hemming until after the first wash.

N&F don't shrink that much. If anything just leave them long enough that you still roll them once or twice (rolling twice looks cleaner). Even if they do shrink it won't be an issue with that much length. Most nicer denim brands only make one inseam length so it's not too uncommon to have them hemmed.

The other thing that puts me off on N&F is that I'm short, and all of the jeans are what? A length of 34? Ideally I'm fine with either 28/29/30 as a length. I can either get them hemmed, but that seems like it'd cheapen them, or I'd have to do some rolling up so I'm not tripping over myself.

It depends on the look you're going for. If you're cuffing, obviously if you're rolling them up more than twice then go get them hemmed. If you're stacking, then too much stack will make your legs look even shorter.

I usually wear a 30 inseam but can still cuff should I please to do so. I had my 2 pairs of APCs and 1 pair of Edwins hemmed to have an inch to cuff, though normally I just kinda let it stack and they're fine. And I had them hemmed prior to the first wash though all that happened was the wash got slightly lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom