• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft

Zyzyxxz said:
I was at Express last month and I really wanted their cardigan but at $60 I wanted to explore other options and possibly ones that weren't as expensive since its Southern California and cold season last for only 2-3 months here so no point in spending alot.

Any help here?
If you think $60 is prohibitively expensive for a sweater, there's this little boutique called Walmart. Check them out.

Zyzyxxz

Draft said:
If you think $60 is prohibitively expensive for a sweater, there's this little boutique called Walmart. Check them out.

heh I wasn't complaining about the price specifically but was wondering about other options in that price range although it would be nice to find something good that did not cost as much.

Draft

snoopen said:
so, what's wrong with male jean shorts, i recently got a pair of very nice / tight fitting and wore them out for the first time last night..

why aren't men allowed to wear them?

QgXMw.jpg

LordCanti

Zyzyxxz said:
heh I wasn't complaining about the price specifically but was wondering about other options in that price range although it would be nice to find something good that did not cost as much.

I've snagged Cashmere sweaters for $40 or so, and Merino Wool ones in the $20-$30 range from various places (like Banana Republic). This was in the height of summer though. We're ass deep in fall now, so sales on winter clothing aren't nearly as drastic as they were three or four months ago.

If you want to go sub-$60, your best bets are H&M, sales at BR, and other things like that. H&M doesn't ship though, so you either have one or you don't.

Don't expect to snag really nice sweaters (the Cashmere examples above are rare finds) but you should be able to get some decent Merino Wool layering pieces.

entremet

Yoboman said:
I've noticed a lot of guys around with plain black studs in both earlobes. I normally don't like piercings but I think its a good look, a bit more classy than traditional silver piercings and hoops. Looks good with a short hair cut
I had ear piercings. Kinda done with them honestly. Seems like they peaked in popularity on men in the 90s and have been less and less popular in recent times.

entremet

Phonomezer said:
Oh DEAR, haha
I'm guessing Draft is an FSU fan. LOL.

I've always hated jean shorts. I do like chino shorts in the summer, though. Paired with a well fitted button down and loafers--sockless of course. Always for the weekend, never for the office.

Doytch

I don't do cashmere. Don't find the material is worth the mark-up over merino, especially for sweaters which you don't even feel on your skin most of the time. Almost all my shit is merino, though I did just get a shetland wool cardigan from RL Rugby (that sale they were running was sick).
Boken said:
http://images.asos.com/inv/media/7/9/5/4/1474597/image4xl.jpg[IMG]
???

I think if you're young and fit, well fit jean shorts work fine.
I wear both white jean shorts AND pink shorts. Come at me bros.[/QUOTE]
Big ups. And once again we see: fit and material is everything.

Yoboman

entrement said:
I had ear piercings. Kinda done with them honestly. Seems like they peaked in popularity on men in the 90s and have been less and less popular in recent times.
I'm thinking kinda like this guy on the right

0925_earrings2.jpg

But worn more centrally on the earlobe

usea

I've been skimming through some of the sites in the OP, and frankly I need some help. I can never find anything that fits me at retail places (or I'm just bad at determining when something fits correctly). Last time I bought a few pairs of pants, after a few weeks I noticed they're not nearly long enough. Although it's possible they shrank?

I'm 6'1 and ~148 lbs, 28 years old. Shirts aren't long enough unless they're super baggy. Pants are baggy unless I get a slim fit, but then the crotch area is way too small.

My job is pretty relaxed, so although I enjoy wearing slacks and button down shirts to work, I could wear shorts and flip flops if I wanted. Currently my wardrobe is a very pathetic mix of Threadless shirts, a couple Express mx1 shirts, some producer pants and slacks from Express, and a pair of jeans and cargo pants from who knows where. None of the above fits me. Everything is too short. I've been the same height for 10 years.

I'd like to blame living in the fat south that stores don't have anything that fits me, but in reality I probably just don't know what to look for. I'm not rolling in cash either, but I can pick up things over time.

Please help.

usea said:
I'm 6'1 and ~148 lbs, 28 years old. Shirts aren't long enough unless they're super baggy. Pants are baggy unless I get a slim fit, but then the crotch area is way too small.

I'm around the same size (or was at that age), I don't want to dig on fat Americans either but go for European brands. Diesel, H and M, Bennetton, Zara...and try everything on. If you build your shoulders up you could probably get away with baggy clothes too.

bob page

usea said:
I've been skimming through some of the sites in the OP, and frankly I need some help. I can never find anything that fits me at retail places (or I'm just bad at determining when something fits correctly). Last time I bought a few pairs of pants, after a few weeks I noticed they're not nearly long enough. Although it's possible they shrank?

My job is pretty relaxed, so although I enjoy wearing slacks and button down shirts to work, I could wear shorts and flip flops if I wanted. Currently my wardrobe is a very pathetic mix of Threadless shirts, a couple Express mx1 shirts, some producer pants and slacks from Express, and a pair of jeans and cargo pants from who knows where. None of the above fits me. Everything is too short. I've been the same height for 10 years.

I'd like to blame living in the fat south that stores don't have anything that fits me, but in reality I probably just don't know what to look for. I'm not rolling in cash either, but I can pick up things over time.

Please help.
You have pretty much the same build as me- see the list I quoted a few posts back.

dudeworld

Yoboman said:
I've noticed a lot of guys around with plain black studs in both earlobes. I normally don't like piercings but I think its a good look, a bit more classy than traditional silver piercings and hoops. Looks good with a short hair cut

I'm thinking about this sort of thing. I've got short brown hair so I think it would work. I don't know if I'd get both ears pierced or just one...

does the hole fill in if you stop wearing them?

They will close up if it's smaller than 8mm which is pretty bloody big! I had mine for about five months then kept catching it snowboarding so took it out, by day three it had closed up. Got a tiny scar on the back of the lobe that can't be seen only felt.

Bread

Banned
I picked up some brown Sperry top siders, what (casual) pants go well with boat shoes? I wore them with jeans to try them on and it looked weird.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a place to buy a nice pea coat for the winter. Any suggestions? I live in South NJ/Philly area if you guys have any ideas about an actual store.

Boken

Banned
Bread said:
I picked up some brown Sperry top siders, what (casual) pants go well with boat shoes? I wore them with jeans to try them on and it looked weird.
Chino's in your favourite colour. Make sure they fit well. I'd recommend beige as a starting colour. Perhaps navy if you prefer darker tones. I love dark maroon and it goes well with most browns.

Carbonox

I'm hitting London on Friday for day/night out celebrating my Birthday.

I'm doing some clothes shopping mid-week for things I want to wear. The idea is shirt and trousers/smart jeans, along with either of my pair of black shoes.

Any good colour combo ideas regarding the shirt and trousers/jeans?

Here's an idea of a shirt I'm interested in (http://tinyurl.com/d7j7blz) but would have no idea what sort of colour would go with this. Play it safe with black? Go for a mustard yellow for a contrast look?

Again, it's just an idea of a shirt so other shirt and colour combos would be good.

Also bear in mind that I'll be wearing black shoes.

Zekes!

usea said:

Please help.

I'm slightly shorter than you and weigh less (5'9/135 lbs) but try Club Monaco; it's overpriced, but you can find good stuff (previous season) on sale for cheap if you're patient/take the time to look.

Draft

dudeworld said:
I'm thinking about this sort of thing. I've got short brown hair so I think it would work. I don't know if I'd get both ears pierced or just one...

does the hole fill in if you stop wearing them?
It can. Are you willing to roll the dice?

The thing about dressing like an asshole kid is that eventually you grow out of it, and the only things that get hurt are family photos and your wallet. Modifying your body like an asshole kid? A little more permanent.

Alucrid

Banned
overcast said:
I'll try finding an image, lol.

Edit: Kind of like this.
http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/04113633000[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yes. Like I said, it looks bad man. Just get a nice leather jacket.

dudeworld

Draft said:

The thing about dressing like an asshole kid is that eventually you grow out of it, and the only things that get hurt are family photos and your wallet. Modifying your body like an asshole kid? A little more permanent.
mad about something?

Yoboman

Draft said:

Definitely not looking for anything retarded like plugs

I also know this is a phase I definitely won't be wearing forever

Doytch said:
I don't do cashmere. Don't find the material is worth the mark-up over merino, especially for sweaters which you don't even feel on your skin most of the time. Almost all my shit is merino, though I did just get a shetland wool cardigan from RL Rugby (that sale they were running was sick).

I just got a shetland too. It's pretty sick. Though, I do prefer lambswool over merino, because lambswool just looks better to me. I love cashmere the most, all of which I get from consignment shops/eBay/deals too

bob page

I know this has been beaten to death, but does anyone know of any good deals on chukkas right now? I saw some Cole Haan ones that I really liked this weekend and hope to pick up a pair (or similar).

noire

Unconfirmed Member
FromTheFuture said:
Hey guys, I'm looking for a place to buy a nice pea coat for the winter. Any suggestions? I live in South NJ/Philly area if you guys have any ideas about an actual store.

I just grabbed one from Express for $150-ish on sale that I dig.
http://www.express.com/water-resistant-wool-blend-peacoat-40337-833/index.pro

Before this I had one from an Army surplus store that is still holding up great after over 10 years. It doesn't fit anymore though, since I shrunk.

adam.chance

Neo Member
Does anyone know of some good blogs for keeping up with Asian, specifically Japanese, fashion? I am moving to Tokyo next month for a period of six months. Another question I have is for anyone that has done clothes shopping in Japan. I am 6'0" with a slender build (I weigh 160 and have decently broad shoulders), will I be able to find clothes that fit? I visited Japan a few years ago, but did not do any clothes shopping. How about shoes? I wear a US12.

Lucario

Dear fashionGAF:

It has come to my attention, through a group of friends, that I am probably a scene kid.

What can be done to remedy this without radically changing my wardrobe? I don't shop at hot topic except for goofy accessories and such (like my Adventure Time hat, which I only wear to appropriate locations and on holidays like Halloween), and most of my clothes are well-fitting, match, and generally look damn nice.

My clothes mostly come from Nordstrom Rack, PacSun, JackThreads, and various online stores when I find something I think I'll look good in.

I'll post a picture of myself in an average outfit tomorrow; I think part of the problem might be that I look around four years younger than I actually am. I'm just damn sick of being called a scene kid.

I'm around 6', 150lbs. I'm not even overly skinny, and I've never been called a hipster. JUST A SCENE KID.

bob page

Lucario said:
Dear fashionGAF:

It has come to my attention, through a group of friends, that I am probably a scene kid.

What can be done to remedy this without radically changing my wardrobe? I don't shop at hot topic except for goofy accessories and such (like my Adventure Time hat, which I only wear to appropriate locations and on holidays like Halloween), and most of my clothes are well-fitting, match, and generally look damn nice.

My clothes mostly come from Nordstrom Rack, PacSun, JackThreads, and various online stores when I find something I think I'll look good in.

I'll post a picture of myself in an average outfit tomorrow; I think part of the problem might be that I look around four years younger than I actually am. I'm just damn sick of being called a scene kid.
How old are you?

Lucario

bob page said:
How old are you?
I'm 20, and a sophomore in college. Too old to be a scene kid.

EDIT: When listing where my clothes come from, I forgot to mention that a lot of my older relatives, when my parents mentioned I was interested in fashion, began giving me gift cards to places like Abercrombie & Fitch. So I own a few garments from abercrombie/hollister/abercrombie kids, most of which have the brand name removed by a friend of mine who can sew.

TxdoHawk

I want to shout out Lands' End Canvas as being a criminally underrated mens' brand. Casual offshoot of Lands' End. Brick and mortar, you can only find them at very select Sears, but they have an online presence, of course. I'm wearing a pair of their slim fit chinos right now, and they are (IMO) aces. Some of the stuff is a little pricey retail, but their sales are usually steep when they happen, and I have been extremely pleased with the quality of almost everything I've picked up so far.

I've got a pretty decent-size order coming in (including this blazer, which seems to have a lot of fans), and I am looking forward to seeing it. I just kind of want to share the love because I get the impression they are struggling to find a fanbase, especially for the men's stuff, and I don't want them to stop making awesome clothes.

Lucario said:
Dear fashionGAF:

What can be done to remedy this without radically changing my wardrobe?

If you are wearing the kinds of clothes you like to wear, there's no real issue here. Don't worry about what arbitary label someone gives you based on your fashion choices.

adam.chance said:
Does anyone know of some good blogs for keeping up with Asian, specifically Japanese, fashion? I am moving to Tokyo next month for a period of six months. Another question I have is for anyone that has done clothes shopping in Japan. I am 6'0" with a slender build (I weigh 160 and have decently broad shoulders), will I be able to find clothes that fit? I visited Japan a few years ago, but did not do any clothes shopping. How about shoes? I wear a US12.

Magazines like Men's Ex, The Rake, or The Suit Catalog do a great job keeping up and being ahead of the curb in menswear. I follow a Japanese blog called Let Itself Go whose posts detail a Japanese custom shop and tailor. If you're looking for trends and not menswear, then I don't know what possible blogs I could give you because I'm not into those things :(

Doytch

I like LEC, but if I was still living in Toronto or a city with higher tailoring costs, I wouldn't bother. The shirts are shame-tarp big (6' 155lbs) and need complete tailoring. It's what's stopped me from buying their blazers or pants. I'd rather buy my casual/throw-away blazers from a place like Zara that cuts it trim.

Loving this canvas bomber I got during the RL Rugby sale. Too chill, anyone else pick anything up?

TxdoHawk

Doytch said:
I like LEC, but if I was still living in Toronto or a city with higher tailoring costs, I wouldn't bother. The shirts are shame-tarp big (6' 155lbs) and need complete tailoring. It's what's stopped me from buying their blazers or pants. I'd rather buy my casual/throw-away blazers from a place like Zara that cuts it trim.

Yeah, I'm 6 foot 1 and 190*, so that may explain the difference. I put on a 44 blazer in-store and it was almost perfect off the rack. Some of the sizing definitely seems a little whacked-out though...I should've mentioned that in the original post. I buy their t-shirts in medium, even I would probably swim in a large. I'm guessing even a medium must be giantic on you. So used to grabbing three sizes of everything I try on at this point though that it didn't even cross my mind. Men's fashion seems to be getting worse with vanity sizing.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
TxdoHawk said:
I want to shout out Lands' End Canvas as being a criminally underrated mens' brand.

Yep. Ordered their mock-toe boots, that navy blazer, a shawl-neck cardigan, some corduroys pants and this marled blazer from them.

Sizes run big. I had to step down to a 40 rather than a 42 in the jackets, an 11 (usually 11-11 1/2) in the boots, medium on the sweater and 43" on the pants (rather than my usual 44).

The hand written thank you note with my first order was awesome, as is their guarantee.

bob page

What is the general consensus nowadays on break for dress slacks? I just got a pair of trousers hemmed and they have little break (sitting a tad below the top of the shoe) and they feel kind of short, but then again, I usually wear more casual slacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom