• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure how much coinage you want to unload but I've run across these here and there:

6JcoFNU.jpg

The arms are tortoise though.

http://www.eyegoodies.com/Illesteva-Leonard-Clear-Tortoise-pr-18641.html

Thanks for all the input guys. I like to wear gray/black and i think light gray is a nice color for spring. and yes it definitely is a bit mixed up, but i think every now and then you can mix pleated with sneakers. got more than enough dress shoes btw.

will put someing together and post again. :)
I got your grey back. light grey for spring is awesome. I also dig dress pants with sneaks but maybe they need to be a little funkier to work best? like an unusual pattern etc. something in dries/margiela's lane.

TTTR

I got your grey back. light grey for spring is awesome. I also dig dress pants with sneaks but maybe they need to be a little funkier to work best? like an unusual pattern etc. something in dries/margiela's lane.
thanks man. sneakers are lanvin high top. for me they are funky enough, i guess it's hard to see against the black floor since they are blue/dark blue.
i don't wear sneakers that often, somehow most of the sneakers i tried on weren't very comfortable.

@fritz: i think they look really good.

TTTR

Considering the relatively low price of meermin shoes, they are very good dress shoes (for beginners). :)
By the way: most of the shoe is made in china. only the finishing is done in mallorca. Not saying that this is a bad thing.

Zeppelin

Considering the relatively low price of meermin shoes, they are very good dress shoes (for beginners). :)
By the way: most of the shoe is made in china. only the finishing is done in mallorca. Not saying that this is a bad thing.

Huh, really. I think I'll pass then!

TTTR

I don't think you'll find anything that isn't made in india/china/etc that well at that pricepoint.
At retail price I would agree, but quite often you can get your hands on good and well built shoes (like goodyear welted) when the sale begins. Like Alden, C&J, Trickers, etc.

My legs are naturally well built and I think it's a worthless thing to have. Who the hell is looking at your calves on a given day?

Not just calves. Quads, hammys, glutes as well.

Hearing you say that "it's a worthless thing to have" hurts my soul ;_;

Wear them short shorts for maximum leg power.

In all seriousness, I just think having big legs along with a big upper body help keep things in check. If someone cares about aesthetics, why would they not train their legs?

snorggy

Brothers with fashion sense, I come to you seeking wisdom.

I like to wear button up shirts and polos once in awhile, though I am mostly a t-shirt guy. I've worn these untucked, but I guess tucked is the new hotness (?)

So my question is, how do I tuck without looking like a doofus? What is the protocol for fashionable tucking? How high/low do my pants have to be? Is there a cut of pants or jeans that work best? What type of belt looks best? What other things do I need to consider?

HELP ME TUCK.

i need to get my cut on for dem shorty shorts. teach me your ways fallingedge.

re: tucking, avoid low rise pants (stuff resting in your hip), as usually the cut on 90% of dress shirts meant for tucking blouse out around your hips a little, and if you combine the two, you'll get a weird poofing effect around your waist. Your pants should sit around an inch below your navel at most. Pleated or flat front look fine, really a matter of taste/body shape/etc Just make sure your shit ain't baggy or saggy.

untucked is fine, but your shirt needs to be tailored to work that way, ie, slightly shorter length etc

Not just calves. Quads, hammys, glutes as well.

Hearing you say that "it's a worthless thing to have" hurts my soul ;_;

Wear them short shorts for maximum leg power.

In all seriousness, I just think having big legs along with a big upper body help keep things in check. If someone cares about aesthetics, why would they not train their legs?
When wearing shorts like that it definitely helps to have muscular legs. With that said, I think your second point is the real reason to train your legs. Nobody wants a disproportionate body. I can't tell you have many top heavy dudes I've seen that just look off.

Top heavy women I'm okay with.

Brothers with fashion sense, I come to you seeking wisdom.

I like to wear button up shirts and polos once in awhile, though I am mostly a t-shirt guy. I've worn these untucked, but I guess tucked is the new hotness (?)

So my question is, how do I tuck without looking like a doofus? What is the protocol for fashionable tucking? How high/low do my pants have to be? Is there a cut of pants or jeans that work best? What type of belt looks best? What other things do I need to consider?

HELP ME TUCK.
Mac laid out a lot of good points. A higher rise, like you'd often find in suits and/or trousers is going to help with bunching off the shirt in the hip region. You can still make it work with low rise pants though (I do this all the time), it just relies more heavily on the cut of the shirt. Chances are you may need to bring your shirts in to get tailored.

Beyond that just make sure your belt and shoes match and you should be good to go. Invest in a belt you actually like cause people will be seeing it.

Glad to have you on #teamtucked.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I got a shoe cleaning question.

I have a pair of leather shoes I generally consider my favorite, but they got really dirty from the winter weather several months ago and for some reason neglected to clean them. I think it was mostly snow and salt and stuff. Anyways, what's the best way to go about cleaning a pair of shoes like this? They're leather but it's not a typical leather, it has kind of a rough, matted texture with almost a bit of a rubbery look, and I don't know how I should treat them.

Here are a couple photos:
http://i.imgur.com/PUuJ56L.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MJwsxsY.jpg

use a damp cloth to get all the dirt off, and an old toothbrush for the edges of the welt. try a brush and some conditioner. they don't look like shoes you would pull a high shine out of, so i'd think polish would be unnecessary.

Antagon

Can't say much about the belts, but I got a pair of jeans with a thick leather patch made by Tanner and that's some beautiful leather. I can definitely see the difference between that leather and that of my leather belts.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Someone recommended Uniqlo's T000 jeans, but the site doesn't seem to list anything using product codes like that. I'm assuming it's the skinny tapered jeans, but can anyone confirm?

I suppose it ultimately doesn't matter since they only come in a size 33 or 35 (wtf?) so they're useless to me. :\

I got a shoe cleaning question.

I have a pair of leather shoes I generally consider my favorite, but they got really dirty from the winter weather several months ago and for some reason neglected to clean them. I think it was mostly snow and salt and stuff. Anyways, what's the best way to go about cleaning a pair of shoes like this? They're leather but it's not a typical leather, it has kind of a rough, matted texture with almost a bit of a rubbery look, and I don't know how I should treat them.

Here are a couple photos:
http://i.imgur.com/PUuJ56L.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MJwsxsY.jpg

Saddle Soap

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What's the best way to stretch a pair of jeans a bit? I tried wearing them to break them in but they are just too uncomfortable. If I size up the waist is huge.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
wear them. depending on the denim, something may or may not happen.

if you get nowhere, you probably should find some other brand/fit.

Dammit. I hate jeans that are too tight when you first get them. Damn Levi 508s fit me the best overall but their waist sizes are all messed up. I usually wear a 34, but could probably wear a 31 in 508's. I have two other pair of the same jeans in 34s that fit well but have a huge waist, so I grabbed 33s this time and the thighs are tight and my ass wants to hang out when I sit down.

What's the best way to stretch a pair of jeans a bit? I tried wearing them to break them in but they are just too uncomfortable. If I size up the waist is huge.

Ymmv , but I had a pair of rigid levis that were too tight in the same areas, and I wore them in a cold tub , then walked them dry for about 4 hours.

Also it seems levis is pretty inconsistent on their pants and it is worthwhile trying on several pair of the same size.

Also I'm pretty sure as the waist of their jeans decreases so does the rise hence the discomfort you are likely experiencing , so perhaps a new brand/fit may be necessary.

Wear them in the bathtub with cold/lukewarm water for like 25 minutes, trying to bend your legs in ways you will want to be able to in daily life, then hang to dry. Denim molds to your body really well without damaging when it's wet.

I have done this with a couple levis 511s that were inconsistently cut. Worked well.

Hey fashion GAF I need a new belt that will last forever and I have a couple options I've heard from elsewhere:

Tanner Goods: $105

http://www.tannergoods.com/products/standard-belt-havana-stainless

Orion Belt Co: $35 (at Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Orion-Leather-Chestnut-Latigo-American/dp/B007J55LEO/

Both are made in America, I like the Tanner buckle a little more, will I regret getting the cheaper one?
I know nothing about Orion but the Tanner Goods quality is legit. Their natural belt is one of the most popular items at Blue Owl right now. You won't be disappointed by it, that's for sure.

I know nothing about Orion but the Tanner Goods quality is legit. Their natural belt is one of the most popular items at Blue Owl right now. You won't be disappointed by it, that's for sure.

does the tanner natural belt age the same as that natural wallet blog you posted some pages ago? if so do want

saltycigar

Neo Member
New clothes today, is this a good look?

Iron your trousers/chinos, please. Plated belts almost always, in my eyes, look jarring on both casual and formal wear. Plimsolls are a popular choice - for teenagers. Are you a teenager? I like the sweatshirt but its colour is too muted to really do anything for the overall coherence of your outfit. You need some colour up in this.

BadTaste

Iron your trousers/chinos, please. Plated belts almost always, in my eyes, look jarring on both casual and formal wear. Plimsolls are a popular choice - for teenagers. Are you a teenager? I like the sweatshirt but its colour is too muted to really do anything for the overall coherence of your outfit. You need some colour up in this.

I knew someone would say that =P going to iron them tomorrow before I go out, and i'm 23. Thanks for your input :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom