• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desi

Also I agree with cosmic bus and others. I like Hell on Wheels/Red Dead Redemption as much as everyone else. The safest route would be the Billy Reid #menswear approach if a bit of Japanese and/or Mexican flair. Anything else is death before you walk out the door
Check out the simple elegance of this jacket.
Reminds me of Gant and Shades of Greige.

instead of a straight lifting from period clothing, look into stuff like the soloist, junya watanabe, paul harnden, ts(s), woolrich woolen mills, etc (I could make a long ass list but ehh). These peeps often from old style and forms of clothing and filter through a modern sensibility. Wearing this kind of stuff you will definitely look unusual by popular standards but nobody is gonna confuse you for a set extra.

You don't necessarily need to wear these specific labels (they are not cheap) but just keep that kind of thing in mind. There are also probably better examples too but this isn't really my department.

Maybe Manshion-GAF could help this guy identify specifically what he likes about "the clothing style of the people from before the 50's," and then help translate that to what would work for him within modern sensibilities?

Just know that you're going to be shelling out some money.

Sec0nd

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, confirming that it would indeed look silly to just try and mimic their clothing. I would've totally looked something like this lol.
western-clothing-ideas.jpg

I googled some more trying to get some pictures to show you guys want I think I like and all I found were some pretty silly looking guys. I think HappyBivouac was right haha.

Anyway I found some pictures from the movie Gangster Squad where they also wear the style of clothing I find really cool.

Gangster-Squad-008.jpg

Guy on the right

gangster_squad_ver17_xlg.jpg

Gangster-Squad-black-and-white-9.jpg

And some other cool stuff I found.

640_hell_on_wheels_0566.jpg

Pretty much the coolest picture ever.

155ae034c26444278e6fcce1751c09d10e631381.jpg__620x349_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

Lol I know.

qiF4MqP.jpg

Might be a bit hard to see but this is from that barbershop I mentioned in my previous post. These are all photo's from convicted criminals in the 30s or 40s or something. I was really blown away by these pictures.

It's hard for me to describe what I really like about these kinds of clothing but I just looks so classy and bad ass at the same time. But I think it might be hard to achieve the same look as they do in the movies like you guys mentioned. But maybe it's possible to bring it back into the modern age of clothing? I really don't know lol.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, confirming that it would indeed look silly to just try and mimic their clothing. I would've totally looked something like this lol.

I googled some more trying to get some pictures to show you guys want I think I like and all I found were some pretty silly looking guys. I think HappyBivouac was right haha.

Anyway I found some pictures from the movie Gangster Squad where they also wear the style of clothing I find really cool.

It's hard for me to describe what I really like about these kinds of clothing but I just looks so classy and bad ass at the same time. But I think it might be hard to achieve the same look as they do in the movies like you guys mentioned. But maybe it's possible to bring it back into the modern age of clothing? I really don't know lol.

You're just one step away from Fedoraville right now. What you need is to take inspiration from these looks, not copy them. They would look out of place in this time and age. Get yourself an old classic hairstyle, buy a pair of chinos with a good fit, a pair of nice looking shoes and then get some timeless shirts. Start with this and then expand little by little.

Desi

I still say check out Billy Reid. Those pictures on the wall of the convicted mafia men looked as if they were taken out of that one book the Sartoralist enjoys.

Sec0nd

You're just one step away from Fedoraville right now. What you need is to take inspiration from these looks, not copy them. They would look out of place in this time and age. Get yourself an old classic hairstyle, buy a pair of chinos with a good fit, a pair of nice looking shoes and then get some timeless shirts. Start with this and then expand little by little.

Not sure what Fedoraville is but sure it's not something good! Thanks for the advice!

Not sure what Fedoraville is but sure it's not something good! Thanks for the advice!

Let's just say it's a town you never stay in when you're out travelling. :) And remember to keep it simple. Buy clothes with a good fit. It's the most important thing. You don't need to buy clothes with strange details and flames on the sleeves to stand out.

Are you overweight?

Nope.

Dumb question but did you try a size up? Also have you not worn slimmer fits before? If not, there's a chance maybe you're just not used to the fit and it feels weird at first. Keep in mind they'll stretch a bit in the thigh over time.

Regardless, your problem is a common issue amongst men with larger and/or more muscular thighs that try fitting slimmer jeans. I think the Naked & Famous Weird Guy fit is probably your best bet as far as a solid fit that has more room in the thighs. Definitely try them on in person though before you go purchasing them.
No I didn't try a size up. I've wore slimmer jeans before but that was before I started hitting the gym a few years ago. I just hate that the 511's come in a lot different colors when compared to other Levi's like the 514's and 508'.

Did you buy from amazon perchance? I've bought 3 different pairs of 511's from amazon and they were all wildly different fits. One of them was at least two sizes smaller than marked. I've heard rumors that levi's sends the jeans they messed up on to them.

This was at an actually Levi's store.

Lirlond

It's just better to give up on slims and skinnies once you hit the gym. Straight legs will fit like slims anyway, and weird guys/tapered fits are good for a baggier look

You can work out regularly without blowing up. All depends on your goals.

I hate baggier looks. My slim legs must be noticed and admired. I'm in the extreme infatuation stage with my stretch denim skinny guys. It's probably unhealthy.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thinking about just invading a J Crew for spring/summer looks. I want something basic and easy that doesn't look too dressy when I just want something to wear out and about.

I really like this look for work, minus the jacket. Are the pants a very light grey, or a very light blue? I may try to recreate this one.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/NewArrivals/PRD~24094/24094.jsp

It's a light blue seersucker.

J Crew Factory has their Thompson seersucker on sale here http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothing/suiting.jsp . The Thompson suits use lower quality fabric, the jackets are fused instead of canvassed and the pants tend to run a little baggy, but they are still significantly better than most dept. suits for the price.

They have a 30% off sale going so you could get the whole suit for $150 + shipping.

Antagon

Anyway I found some pictures from the movie Gangster Squad where they also wear the style of clothing I find really cool. '

What do you think of something like this?

536_image_3.jpg

Acid08

Banned
I don't know if there are an XL size guys here but what kind of clothes/fits do you guys think work well in that size? Most clothes seem to be too big and unkempt looking out too tight and weird looking. Need comfortable stuff that looks good in bigger sizes.

Thinking about just invading a J Crew for spring/summer looks. I want something basic and easy that doesn't look too dressy when I just want something to wear out and about.

I hit their factory outlet this weekend for the everything 50% off thing they were doing.

I don't love the fit of their shirts to be honest. I'm a stocky guy and even their "slim fit" stuff seemed a little poofy. I guess I should have tried sizing down but I don't remember the last time I wore a Medium anything.

Their "Urban Slim" Chino is okay for the office. Pretty conservative on the slimness while still seeming to have a somewhat current shape. I like the material, kinda wish I picked up one more pair since my chinos get a lot of wear at work.

I got some bright 9" chino short for summer and their "sunwashed oxford" which I dug. Decent trip overall.

Both J. Crew and the Polo outlet had shorts that had their eblem repeated over and over on the short. Is this a thing this season?

I almost bit on the Polo ones just to wear with something ridiculous like a Beer Tank top for maximum justaposition.

I don't know if there are an XL size guys here but what kind of clothes/fits do you guys think work well in that size? Most clothes seem to be too big and unkempt looking out too tight and weird looking. Need comfortable stuff that looks good in bigger sizes.
take cues from yohji yamamoto
tumblr_lwkdykZ7Ml1qcdzk5o1_500.jpg

00200fullscreen.jpg

failing that, there is always walter van beirendonck
wwb.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
your monitor must be all kinds of fucked up. thats nearly the same color as a macbook air

So, grey. :p

It's a light blue seersucker.

J Crew Factory has their Thompson seersucker on sale here http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothing/suiting.jsp . The Thompson suits use lower quality fabric, the jackets are fused instead of canvassed and the pants tend to run a little baggy, but they are still significantly better than most dept. suits for the price.

They have a 30% off sale going so you could get the whole suit for $150 + shipping.

Yeah, I'm not so much looking for the full suit, but I like the color combo of the pants and light blue shirt. Paired with the blue shoes (or brown).

I think I'll try to recreate the look for work.

Kraftwerk

Hmmm. I have lost muscle mass over winter, and my thighs have gotten smaller. I will take a picture later, but my naked and famous weird guys look...weird now. Specifically in the thigh area. I might have to get them tailored if possible, or make my thighs big again.

Decisions, decisions....

Zekes!

Hmmm. I have lost muscle mass over winter, and my thighs have gotten smaller. I will take a picture later, but my naked and famous weird guys look...weird now. Specifically in the thigh area. I might have to get them tailored if possible, or make my thighs big again.

Decisions, decisions....

I'd like to see a picture to see what you mean. I more often than not wear Weird Guys and I have slimmer legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom