• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
508s are all I can wear, but I get them for $40. Heck, the official site has them for $40-$80. A warning though, they run big in the waist. I wear 34's but could probably wear 31's in 508s. I stick with 34s and wear a belt because the smaller you go in the waist the tighter the rest of the pants get. Kind of disproportionate.

It's the only pair of jeans I've found that fit my bigger thighs well though.

Guevara

I know nothing about Orion but the Tanner Goods quality is legit. Their natural belt is one of the most popular items at Blue Owl right now. You won't be disappointed by it, that's for sure.

Thanks. I'm going with dark brown because it's for my fairly casual office.

Looks like they're only size 30. Hopefully that's Kraftwerk's size cause I know he's wanted those for awhile.

As much as I love those pants they just don't seem practical to me for year round use. Maybe once or twice a week at most. Beautiful color though.

Thanks. I'm going with dark brown because it's for my fairly casual office.
Awesome. That's the most versatile color of the bunch.

Nothing wrong with dark reds or blues in your pants. It's when you go bright that you're playing a dangerous game.

DSC_0087.jpg

30 is perfect size for me provided the waist sizing isnt a lie or stretch a ton. Does naked and famous vanity size their shit?

edit: ordered, thanks for the advice

edit 2: looks like they are sold out now

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Someone recommended Uniqlo's T000 jeans, but the site doesn't seem to list anything using product codes like that. I'm assuming it's the skinny tapered jeans, but can anyone confirm?

I suppose it ultimately doesn't matter since they only come in a size 33 or 35 (wtf?) so they're useless to me. :\

Just checking again.

Speaking of colored pants, J. Crew has some beautiful new colors for their chinos this Spring that you can find online/in store. In fact, their whole Spring line is fantastic. I got the lookbook in the mail recently and was impressed.

Just checking again.
I just googled it and it looks like those are them.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I just googled it and it looks like those are them.

Thanks, lucky. Is it normal for Uniqlo jeans to only come in weird sizes or did I manage to come across something they're mostly sold out of right now?

Love the pattern on this 10Deep fleece:

26cf232a7da5ce19efbbbe017e9e4962.jpg

And these Stussy x Be Positive shoes O__O

438063_BLAC_4.jpg

$300 tho? lolololol

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Well I used a damp cloth and a toothbrush on those shoes and I think they'll be fine. Thank god, they ma favorites. They're not elegant dress shoes or anything so the leather doesn't need to be in pristine condition or anything.

Anyhoo another question....with metal watches, are there any tricks to getting one to fit better if it's too loose with one link added and too tight with it removed? It's a Citizen watch I got several years ago with what looks like a standard metal clasp.

Spring is here. Fucking love this weather. Here's my WAYWT or whatever:

noVWNDj.jpg

Imaginary Foundation tee and those Naked & Famous Stretch Skinny Guys from the Gilt sale. They're not selvedge apparently but they're fucking fantastic and the price was right.

Jesus that shirt has a lot of color in it. Too much for my taste but that's a really cool design. Good to hear you're digging the Naked & Famous jeans.

Thanks, lucky. Is it normal for Uniqlo jeans to only come in weird sizes or did I manage to come across something they're mostly sold out of right now?

Love the pattern on this 10Deep fleece:

http://tendeep.vaesite.net/__data/26cf232a7da5ce19efbbbe017e9e4962.jpg

And these Stussy x Be Positive shoes O__O

http://d6sgdto4hf5qa.cloudfront.net...3525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/3/438063_BLAC_4.jpg

$300 tho? lolololol
Not sure about the Uniqlo. If I had to guess, they're just sold out of some of the other sizes.

Also that fleece is rad, I would definitely rock something like that in the Fall/Winter.

Uniqlo's sizing is so random. At first I thought it only listed what was in stock but then I saw that out-of-stock sizes were greyed out, so that couldn't be it. I was looking at their Airism boxer briefs and some patterns only came in S and XL for whatever reason, while others have M. Makes no sense.

Spring is here. Fucking love this weather. Here's my WAYWT or whatever:

*Color*

Imaginary Foundation tee and those Naked & Famous Stretch Skinny Guys from the Gilt sale. They're not selvedge apparently but they're fucking fantastic and the price was right.

Those jeans look awesome even from the little bit showing. With the hype they get here I'll need to check them out. They ought to pay you all for advertising.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
ASOS is a thing you guys can recommend, right? I think I'll need some new stuff for spring. Also, can you recommend some places for caps? Need some protection for my baldy-bald head.

So guys, I heard that snakeskin is one of the hottest trends in fashion this spring and summer. I'm glad I came prepared by getting these boots last year. Yes, it's genuine python.

G5FPc0w.jpg

I think they're badass, your opinions?

Check out the simple elegance of this jacket.
Yep, that's a hot jacket. Makes me want a new varsity. Let's scour the internet till we can find that jacket, Midnights.

So guys, I heard that snakeskin is one of the hottest trends in fashion this spring and summer. I'm glad I came prepared by getting these boots last year. Yes, it's genuine python.

http://i.imgur.com/G5FPc0w.jpg?2

I think they're badass, your opinions?
Jesus, if you can actually pull those off, you are my hero.

So Fashion gaf. I have to say something. I don't understand how people wear 511's. My thighs aren't even that big but I couldn't put them on.
Dumb question but did you try a size up? Also have you not worn slimmer fits before? If not, there's a chance maybe you're just not used to the fit and it feels weird at first. Keep in mind they'll stretch a bit in the thigh over time.

Regardless, your problem is a common issue amongst men with larger and/or more muscular thighs that try fitting slimmer jeans. I think the Naked & Famous Weird Guy fit is probably your best bet as far as a solid fit that has more room in the thighs. Definitely try them on in person though before you go purchasing them.

I give up.
Unless you've been searching for the last 7 hours we must not give up. We must persevere in this quest of fashion supremacy, Midnights.

So Fashion gaf. I have to say something. I don't understand how people wear 511's. My thighs aren't even that big but I couldn't put them on.

Did you buy from amazon perchance? I've bought 3 different pairs of 511's from amazon and they were all wildly different fits. One of them was at least two sizes smaller than marked. I've heard rumors that levi's sends the jeans they messed up on to them.

obin_gam

How much is an acceptable price for a leather jacket?
I found a great looking one, simple and short, for about $415. Should I go for it or should I look for cheaper ones?

TTTR

There are many leather jackets that are cheaper and many that are more expensive than the one you mentioned.
Personally i don't like giving advice regarding the price of clothing.
If you think something is worth the price and it makes a valuable addition to your collection then buy it.

You could show a picture of the jacket though.

obin_gam

There are many leather jackets that are cheaper and many that are more expensive than the one you mentioned.
Personally i don't like giving advice regarding the price of clothing.
If you think something is worth the price and it makes a valuable addition to your collection then buy it.

You could show a picture of the jacket though.
Yeah I comletely forgot to take pics haha, seeing now it would have been a good idea :p
I do think it would be worth it, but I also wouldnt mind if it was a 100 bucks cheaper, since I've seen jackets with sort of the same design idea go for much much less.
regarding design it's a sort of mixture between these two
RdtzYOR.jpg
slBD4YD.jpg

One thing though - it comes in three different colors, black, brown and... green. This green to be precise:
MqHxl8O.png

My first thought was to get a new nice and simple black one which I also can use instead of a blazer having a shirt and tie under it. But then I saw this green one. I dont know, are green leather jackets "the thing" now? Or will it be, so I should get one to be ahead of the curve? ;)

TTTR

Well I'd say a black or brown jacket would be the standard choice. Both being colors that have a wide range of use.
The green one, especially the green you posted, would be an eye catcher.
As a person with mostly brown and some black leather jackets I say go with the green (not because green is "in", could care less what the fashion industry thinks is cool at the moment).

Do you have other leather jackets in black/brown or would this be your only one?

obin_gam

Well I'd say a black or brown jacket would be the standard choice. Both being colors that have a wide range of use.
The green one, especially the green you posted, would be an eye catcher.
As a person with mostly brown and some black leather jackets I say go with the green (not because green is "in", could care less what the fashion industry thinks is cool at the moment).

Do you have other leather jackets in black/brown or would this be your only one?

I do have black one that I've had for about 20 years. Just now starting to break in the seams inside the pockets. I still use that one when it's cold outside since it has an extra lining you can attach inside it.

1 point for green then.

Sec0nd

Gents of ManshionGAF I need your help. I feel it's time to somewhat reinvent myself, also in the fashion department. I however have no idea where to start... Never been one for fashion, I just wear my jeans and a shirt or tank top from H&M. So this is where you guys can hopefully help me out.

Over the last couple of weeks/months I've slowly been falling in love with the clothing style of the people from before the 50's. They just look classy and also insanely bad ass. This fondness for this style has been growing ever since I went to a retro barbershop and made this video and I started watching Hell On Wheels. The look of Bohannon really struck a chord with me. I really dig his clothing style.

I also really like the suits they wear in the 40s en 50s.

Anyway, I'm kind of worried it would look kind of ridiculous if you would wear it nowadays. Or you'd look like either a businessman or a cosplayer. Also I just have no idea where to look for these kinds of clothes lol. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could help me out here with some advice and maybe some links to a couple of fashion blogs with this style or links to sites where you could buy these kinds of cloths, preferably located in Europe and The Netherlands.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
My first thought was to get a new nice and simple black one which I also can use instead of a blazer having a shirt and tie under it. But then I saw this green one. I dont know, are green leather jackets "the thing" now? Or will it be, so I should get one to be ahead of the curve? ;)

+1 green

Brown leather jackets are gross imo, and you can get a black one literally any time, anywhere in the future. Buy the green. Be different. Be awesome.

I started watching Hell On Wheels. The look of Bohannon really struck a chord with me. I really dig his clothing style. I also really like the suits they wear in the 40s en 50s.

Anyway, I'm kind of worried it would look kind of ridiculous if you would wear it nowadays. Or you'd look like either a businessman or a cosplayer.

The fringe retro-hipster-quaint-scrump movement is all about this kind of bullshit and I'm going to intensely urge you not to go down this road. Please please please.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So where do I look for spring "looks?" Ws thinking just jeans and random lighter solid tees. Then change to chino shorts of random colors and solid tees as well.

Better than my usual get up, I just need help matching colors.

Gents of ManshionGAF I need your help. I feel it's time to somewhat reinvent myself, also in the fashion department. I however have no idea where to start... Never been one for fashion, I just wear my jeans and a shirt or tank top from H&M. So this is where you guys can hopefully help me out.

Over the last couple of weeks/months I've slowly been falling in love with the clothing style of the people from before the 50's. They just look classy and also insanely bad ass. This fondness for this style has been growing ever since I went to a retro barbershop and made this video and I started watching Hell On Wheels. The look of Bohannon really struck a chord with me. I really dig his clothing style.

I also really like the suits they wear in the 40s en 50s.

Anyway, I'm kind of worried it would look kind of ridiculous if you would wear it nowadays. Or you'd look like either a businessman or a cosplayer. Also I just have no idea where to look for these kinds of clothes lol. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could help me out here with some advice and maybe some links to a couple of fashion blogs with this style or links to sites where you could buy these kinds of cloths, preferably located in Europe and The Netherlands.

This is the fedora thing but on a larger scale. You will not end up looking as cool as the guys in the movies because they are movie stars, doing choreographed things with cameras doing flattering shots with flattering lighting. You would just end up looking like an awkward cosplayer. There's a reason why fashion doesn't imitate whatever are the popular movies of the day.

You can certainly pull off bold, unconventional looks. People here do it all the time; see those boots from last page. That said, it has to be about having a sharp aesthetic sense and thinking about what works for you, not about seeing some "badass" movie star and wanting to emulate them.

Also, jeans and t-shirt combo is in no way unfashionable. Depending on the jeans and the t-shirt of course. It's the perfect example of "less is more."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom