• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
bob page said:
What is the general consensus nowadays on break for dress slacks? I just got a pair of trousers hemmed and they have little break (sitting a tad below the top of the shoe) and they feel kind of short, but then again, I usually wear more casual slacks.

The whole no break thing is still going on, but there's a rising appreciation for a slight break nowadays too.

Doytch

TxdoHawk said:
Yeah, I'm 6 foot 1 and 190*, so that may explain the difference. I put on a 44 blazer in-store and it was almost perfect off the rack. Some of the sizing definitely seems a little whacked-out though...I should've mentioned that in the original post. I buy their t-shirts in medium, even I would probably swim in a large. I'm guessing even a medium must be giantic on you. So used to grabbing three sizes of everything I try on at this point though that it didn't even cross my mind. Men's fashion seems to be getting worse with vanity sizing.
I got smalls and they were comically large. Was wishing for an XS. But I did get a shawl pullover sweater, with like a button-tab-thing, and that was fine in a S. So that, coupled with the stuff I've read here about their slim chinos makes me think the shirts are the worst offenders.

Az

Need GAF fashion help.

I am moving to Denver for a job in two weeks and I need some dress shoes that can take the snow/cold winters. The dress code is business casual and I am really not looking for something expensive, I dont need to have the latest and greatest.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
TheAzRim said:
Need GAF fashion help.

I am moving to Denver for a job in two weeks and I need some dress shoes that can take the snow/cold winters. The dress code is business casual and I am really not looking for something expensive, I dont need to have the latest and greatest.

What's your price range?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Just washed my first pair of HM "Drain" jeans after about a month and all I have to say is..

WHAT THE FUCK.

Its as if someone took them out when I was not looking and tried to rip apart the material!!!

Sean2 said:
Just washed my first pair of HM "Drain" jeans after about a month and all I have to say is..

WHAT THE FUCK.

Its as if someone took them out when I was not looking and tried to rip apart the material!!!
lol, pics?

Alucrid

Banned
TheAzRim said:
Need GAF fashion help.

Buy boots and just change at work into dress shoes.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
_dementia said:
lol, pics?

No. My embarrassment will not extend further.

I need to make a business trip to their sweat shop and tell all those children that their work fatigue and low wages is no reason for there to be a lack of quality in my products.

Damn

Cosmic Bus said:
Army/Navy is a surplus and thrift store chain that sells used, vintage and discounted overstock of military gear (and not exclusively US military either, which is neat).
Where can I find what you're talking about? Went on Google but wasn't sure if I was finding the right stuff.

The Sterling ones look pretty nice, but not sure if I want to drop 200+ on something I'm not entirely sure on the quality for. As in I'm sure the quality is great, but I would like to see how much better those are than something else, like something simply at Express like someone mentioned or whatever.

Any other recommendations for pea coats anyone has would be fantastic as well.

Az

Ermac said:
What's your price range?

I really don't have an exact amount in mind. Looking at some of the prices around here, I dont feel comfortable spending $200+.
Knowing that I will be there for about a year, I dont need anything too fancy.

Sean2 said:

WHAT THE FUCK.

HM pants have never lasted me more than 2 washes. theyre similar in quality to the mens stuff at forever 21. nice looking, disposable clothing you wear only a few times before they fall apart on their own

Alucrid

Banned
effingvic said:
HM pants have never lasted me more than 2 washes. theyre similar in quality to the mens stuff at forever 21. nice looking, disposable clothing you wear only a few times before they fall apart on their own
I wouldn't call that disposable, id call that trash. Levis or wranglers or something from package sun can last years.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
effingvic said:

I do not understand why a company would intentionally waste potential. This denim fits like perfectly tailored pants, but the quality is awful.

I am lost in the world of denim. Expensive brands have awful washes, and cheap brands have awful quality. Its time to move to the UK. Fuck America

Alucrid

Banned
Sean2 said:
I do not understand why a company would intentionally waste potential. This denim fits like perfectly tailored pants, but the quality is awful.

I am lost in the world of denim. Expensive brands have awful washes, and cheap brands have awful quality. Its time to move to the UK. Fuck America
Looking at the wrong expensive brands then.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Alucrid said:
Looking at the wrong expensive brands then.

What should I be looking at? Also, would any good quality brands happen to be in the vicinity of Central Florida? I am not one to order something without trying it on. Learned the hard way.

Alucrid

Banned
Sean2 said:
What should I be looking at? Also, would any good quality brands happen to be in the vicinity of Central Florida? I am not one to order something without trying it on. Learned the hard way.
These wont be too expensive but try unbranded jeans at urban outfitters. That's about all I can think of near you if you gave to try them on first.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
FromTheFuture said:
Where can I find what you're talking about? Went on Google but wasn't sure if I was finding the right stuff.

There are sites that serve a similar purpose, but Army/Navy Surplus is like an unofficial chain of thrift stores that mostly exist under a singular "brand" but aren't going to be linked by any sort of central website or supply chain. They seem to be found in or around many decently-sized cities in the US.

FromTheFuture said:

The Sterling ones look pretty nice, but not sure if I want to drop 200+ on something I'm not entirely sure on the quality for. As in I'm sure the quality is great, but I would like to see how much better those are than something else, like something simply at Express like someone mentioned or whatever.

Any other recommendations for pea coats anyone has would be fantastic as well.

Here. Also, eBay + WWII Peacoat

Sean2 said:

Levi's 511 (or any levis for that matter) all day everyday. Shit is always on sale on their website, available at a lot of retailers. Macy's and Kohl's come to mind as inexpensive places to get them.

Alucrid said:
I wouldn't call that disposable, id call that trash. Levis or wranglers or something from package sun can last years.

pretty much lol i stopped buying them. it was nice back in highschool though. sexy looking jeans for $20 bucks? knew there was a catch.

Sean2 said:

RIGHT? they fit like a freakin dream but the shit frays so quickly. one of my favorite pair of pants were these slim fit dress pants from HM. its like someone made them just for me lol

i know there are denim heads in this forum so they can recommend some high quality and expensive denim, but i found a great balance of style and quality from levis and banana republic denim. i have a pair of teal slim fits from BR that i bought like 4-5 years ago and theyre still holding on strong today.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
kevo_huevo said:
Levi's 511 (or any levis for that matter) all day everyday. Shit is always on sale on their website, available at a lot of retailers. Macy's and Kohl's come to mind as inexpensive places to get them.

Can someone post a picture of 511's in a dark blue wash that they think look nice/have. 510s are too skinny.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
TheAzRim said:

Welcome to Denver.

Everyone here dresses like they are going for a hike. Wear nice shoes for your interview (weather is spotty, but things melt quick right now), and have a different paid for daily wear.

edit: oops, just saw that you got the job, it's not an interview.

I haven't figured out what I'm doing for wet-weather dress shoes yet. I'm either getting a pair of duck boots and swapping when I get to the office, or a pair of overshoes.

Desi

effingvic said:
why is everyone working on military grade railroads in their H&M clothing? I have had a pair of pants from there going on 3 years. No rips or anything.

TheAzRim: You can try that Mr.B link I posted several pages ago. http://www.gentlemensboutique.com/ The brogue's and boots are less than $200.

Az

noire said:
Welcome to Denver.

Everyone here dresses like they are going for a hike. Wear nice shoes for your interview (weather is spotty, but things melt quick right now), and have a different paid for daily wear.

edit: oops, just saw that you got the job, it's not an interview.

I haven't figured out what I'm doing for wet-weather dress shoes yet. I'm either getting a pair of duck boots and swapping when I get to the office, or a pair of overshoes.

Thank you, I am really excited since I heard only good things about Denver. Maybe I'll make a "moving to Denver thread".

The swapping shoes idea might work.

Desi said:
TheAzRim: You can try that Mr.B link I posted several pages ago. http://www.gentlemensboutique.com/ The brogue's and boots are less than $200.

Will check out, thanks.

Alucrid

Banned
TheAzRim said:
Thank you, I am really excited since I heard only good things about Denver. Maybe I'll make a "moving to Denver thread".

The swapping shoes idea might work.

Will check out, thanks.

What do you mean might work? If you're walking in snow or rain no dress shoe will save you from that.

Sean2 said:
Can someone post a picture of 511's in a dark blue wash that they think look nice/have. 510s are too skinny.

That's my suggestion.

Az

Alucrid said:
What do you mean might work? If you're walking in snow or rain no dress shoe will save you from that.

Might work as an alternative option to just getting dress boots.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Desi said:
why is everyone working on military grade railroads in their H&M clothing? I have had a pair of pants from there going on 3 years. No rips or anything.

I only walked around town with them on. Mine were perfect until my washing machine raped them today.

Alucrid said:

Thank you, I will try those tomorrow when I pay a visit to the mall.

Also,

can GAF tell me their opinions on these?
0817882_1_700x700.jpg

I do not mind if you hate them, I am just not into boots and other said things popular on this thread.

Ermac

they're pretty ugly imo. Get regular boat shoes, not weird high top versions

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Ermac said:
they're pretty ugly imo. Get regular boat shoes, not weird high top versions

Okay :(

I already have a set of standard Sperry Boat Shoes (Leather Material), and was just looking for some variation. I can't win on this thread.

Ermac

Sean2 said:
Okay :(

I already have a set of standard Sperry Boat Shoes (Leather Material), and was just looking for some variation. I can't win on this thread.

Why not boots?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Ermac said:
Why not boots?

I have yet to see a pair that I like, unless they are the Aldens a user posted from many pages back. However those are too expensive for a high school senior.

When I do like boots, it is usually because they are simple looking, and do not have an excessive amount of designs.

dudeworld

Sean2 said:
I have yet to see a pair that I like, unless they are the Aldens a user posted from many pages back. However those are too expensive for a high school senior.

When I do like boots, it is usually because they are simple looking, and do not have an excessive amount of designs.
http://en.atmosphere.ca/
has some nice boots. I bought a pair of hiking boots from them but they look nothing like hiking boots imo, they're more casual. I looked on their website and they don't have mine anymore but when I go to the store they're still there even though I bought them last year.

they look similar to this
Jo792l.jpg

except that the sole is a lot more rugged

outsidah

Desi said:

lol

I have an office job and H&M stuff in general doesn't hold up very well in my experience (I'm careful with the stuff btw).

Banana Republic stuff for the most part has held up the best for me when it comes to chain stores.

outsidah

this guy said:
Anybody have experience with the fit of asos skinny jeans? I really these pants:

http://us.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1765835

And I want to order the right size. I'm 5' 10", and I have a pretty slim waist (30.5 inches ish), but I'm kind of built and I wear levis 511s in a 32x32. Would a 32x32 work fine here do you think? At least returns are free....

Skinny jeans really need to be tried on. They have free returns like you said. Give it a go, if not return them.

Doytch

Friiiig, was hoping to finally pick up some white jeans....and they're out? I know they had them at some point. Probably cause they're out of season or something.

Got a couple of questions for fashion-GAF:
- Coat or jacket? I'm a coat guy but I had an argument with a buddy who believes that women prefer jackets on men because the butt is more visible. What say you, GAF?
- How tight fitting should jeans be for men? Hipster skinny jeans are an obvious no-go, but apart from that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom