• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
I've bought random cheap stuff from small town shops in mainland China that looked great on me, felt great and lasted a while. Clothes are clothes, really, and if you like something, then wear it.

The cult of brand-ism is an interesting one. No, I don't reject it outright or think I'm above anyone; it's just interesting.

I mean, I don't think it's that interesting. I stick to certain brands because what I've gotten from them so far has been top notch. Others stick to them because of the 'status' they convey, aesthetic they portray or the hype train.

Would someone please recommend me a place to buy black dress shoes that are under $140? I would just buy from Aldo or Allen Edmonds (kinda expensive for me right now) or Jack threads( never bought shoes from there though)/

When looking for everyday black dress shoes, is there anything to avoid besides being square toed?

I mean, I don't think it's that interesting. I stick to certain brands because what I've gotten from them so far has been top notch. Others stick to them because of the 'status' they convey, aesthetic they portray or the hype train.

i just gave in to hype and bought slp jeans and white hi-tops ;(
zv275B2.jpg

Zekes!

Got my Vans and Wings + Horns bush pants today. My spring wardrobe is coming together. Might rock 'em tomorrow, and if so I'll try to get a pic

Are those the 16cm jeans? Every place I go to has them out of stock. I'm trying my luck at the SLP store in NY next week. How do they fit, if so? And how are the hightops? I should be buying those next week as well.
I got the last pair of the jeans, fit is great though about an inch too long for me and don't stack the way Diors do so I'm debating if I want to get them shortened or just roll them up. I like hi-tops a lot but I'm a sucker for minimal white trainers

I got the last pair of the jeans, fit is great though about an inch too long for me and don't stack the way Diors do so I'm debating if I want to get them shortened or just roll them up. I like hi-tops a lot but I'm a sucker for minimal white trainers

Can you post a picture of how skinny they are? And where did you get them?

obin_gam

I wasn't suppose to buy anything this month, but in my town there's a really good "manshion" store and I found just the right color and the type of blazer I have been looking for so I couldn't stop myself. With help from the store manager we also found trousers to go along with the blazer, from a completely diffrent brand so even the store manager was surprised at how lucky I was hehe

Blazer from Stones | Trousers from Meyer

+ a purple/red tie

=

Visceir

Had another suitjacket tailored, haven't really found an occasion to wear it yet but was invited to a Miss competition event and I guess that'd be a fitting occasion to wear it to.
censored.jpg

I wasn't suppose to buy anything this month, but in my town there's a really good "manshion" store and I found just the right color and the type of blazer I have been looking for so I couldn't stop myself. With help from the store manager we also found trousers to go along with the blazer, from a completely diffrent brand so even the store manager was surprised at how lucky I was hehe

Blazer from Stones | Trousers from Meyer

+ a purple/red tie

=
Looks cool, man. Anytime you tell yourself you're not going to buy anything is when the good stuff pops up. Sounds like it was too good of a deal to pass up though. Nice pickups.

Had another suitjacket tailored, haven't really found an occasion to wear it yet but was invited to a Miss competition event and I guess that'd be a fitting occasion to wear it to.
censored.jpg
Nice look. I could never wear that color blazer but you pull it off quite well. Great fit on the jacket as well. I like it with the scarf but definitely not indoors.

obin_gam

Looks cool, man. Anytime you tell yourself you're not going to buy anything is when the good stuff pops up. Sounds like it was too good of a deal to pass up though. Nice pickups.

Thank you! I agree that the best stuff appears when you're not looking for it hehe.

I'm in the process of changing my whole style this spring, from having had ordinary jeans and metal t-shirts to a more classier look. A "cosier look" in lack of a better word, more sort of english in style. This change in clothes has also done a lot to my self confidence which is a great side-effect!

am I the only person that has a major pet peeve about people wearing beanies during the summer?

it just seems so try hard to wear something with a function like that so out of season. I mean I get it, that's your look but aye bro it's 90 degrees outside and you have a wool hat on your head.

am I the only person that has a major pet peeve about people wearing beanies during the summer?

it just seems so try hard to wear something with a function like that so out of season. I mean I get it, that's your look but aye bro it's 90 degrees outside and you have a wool hat on your head.

I wear it because my hair is naturally weird looking and unusual. If I don't take the time to straighten it then I can't go out so the beanie is my only choice if I don't have or want to spend time.

I'm not feeling the beanie thing either.

It might seem odd that I'm ok with eye-catching patterned jeans/chinos/etc, but not really a fan of something as simple as a beanie. The problem with hats/caps/beanies for me is that, most of the time, they fall outside the realm of function-oriented clothing. You can't casually wear a hat, unless cold weather or something calls for it. It's always deliberate, always saying "I'm wearing this for literally no reason other than an attempt to look cool." Outlandish jeans, pants, shoes, shirts, watches, etc. do not have this same issue. In my mind, it looks more natural to see a guy wearing floral patterned jeans than to see a guy wearing a beanie.

Y'all can tell me I'm full of shit, and I know there are flaws in my logic. It's just the feeling I get.

It might seem odd that I'm ok with eye-catching patterned jeans/chinos/etc, but not really a fan of something as simple as a beanie. The problem with hats/caps/beanies for me is that, most of the time, they fall outside the realm of function-oriented clothing. You can't casually wear a hat, unless cold weather or something calls for it. It's always deliberate, always saying "I'm wearing this for literally no reason other than an attempt to look cool." Outlandish jeans, pants, shoes, shirts, watches, etc. do not have this same issue. In my mind, it looks more natural to see a guy wearing floral patterned jeans than to see a guy wearing a beanie.

Y'all can tell me I'm full of shit, and I know there are flaws in my logic. It's just the feeling I get.

I just gave you a function for my beanie. It helps keep my hair out of the way when I do anything active also.

I agree but like Midnights said, I think beanies serve a different purpose when you have really long hair. In that case I'm cool with it.

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one in 90 degree heat but I also don't have super long hair. It's different for everyone.

yeah I can see the long hair thing.

and I'm sure a lot of bald(ing) dudes wear them a lot if they're insecure or whatever.

Ultimately if you like it, do your thing. I'm sure plenty of people think the shit I wear is stupid. That was just something I've noticed around here that I didn't understand.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Hmm, I like the Cyclone-colored jacket. I'm not 100% sold on the sweater underneath though. I'll check it out. Thx.
EDIT: $210 damn. Might need to wait until payday. Taxes ruined me this year.

Would look great with a McDonald's patch as well.

Seriously though Cyclone, you should cop.

I'm lovin' it.

I'm an ISU student actually, but let's be honest I'm too cool for school.

I'm an alumni, you'll address me as Mr. Cyclone.
:p
EDIT: You did!

My hair's pretty short but I tend to wear either caps (either my SF Giants one - usually for game days or my Supreme camp caps), a newsboy cap from Goorin Bros. or beanies.

Since my hair's straight, it either does what I want or doesn't, so having options works.

yeah I can see the long hair thing.

and I'm sure a lot of bald(ing) dudes wear them a lot if they're insecure or whatever.

Ultimately if you like it, do your thing. I'm sure plenty of people think the shit I wear is stupid. That was just something I've noticed around here that I didn't understand.

If I was bald I'd wear one. Keeps your head from getting burned.

I dunno. I might be dressed like a crazy person. But there are pictures of me in this thread.

Undergrad? What major?

Graduated with double major in Finance and International Business. Got a job in Wisconsin from the career fair and moved right after I graduated in May of 2011. Love Ames/Iowa State. I'm assuming you're still around there?

Anyone else in here have a unique body form that makes it difficult to shop?

6' tall but I have the wingspan of an individual who is ~6'9( i can touch my knees without so much as even leaning an inch forward). If I buy a large shirt that has the proper arm length, I am wearing drapes. If I buy medium, the proper fit, the sleeves are a good 3 inches away from remotely touching my wrists. I could bulk up to fit large...but why don't they just make shirts for me only?

Anyone else in here have a unique body form that makes it difficult to shop?

6' tall but I have the wingspan of an individual who is ~6'9( i can touch my knees without so much as even leaning an inch forward). If I buy a large shirt that has the proper arm length, I am wearing drapes. If I buy medium, the proper fit, the sleeves are a good 3 inches away from remotely touching my wrists. I could bulk up to fit large...but why don't they just make shirts for me only?
They do, it's called made to measure.

Realistically, that may be your best option. Downside is that they're generally more expensive, plus side is that they'll fit you perfectly, and be the material/color/cut you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom