• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
In general to all, do brown Sperrys go with most all shorts/shirt color combos? I have one pair of grey Sperrys but want another pair.

I'll put my anti-Sperry opinion on hold long enough to say that, yes, you'll be just fine for most any summer outfit with brown and grey shoes.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
My Korean jacket arrived, and it looks.... Good! I'll take some pictures as soon as I get my hands on a camera. Light sensor on my Ixus died and my iPhone is also in the process of dying :).

In general to all, do brown Sperrys go with most all shorts/shirt color combos? I have one pair of grey Sperrys but want another pair.

Brown boats should go with all color combos for shirts/shorts, as will grey.

...Now I just need some new chino shorts for the summer. It's time all of my cargos take a permanent vacation.

Those lapels look way way way too skinny, otherwise I might consider it.

What? I see Boss slammed constantly on that forum. There's a lot better suits than Hugo Boss.

I have never seen Boss slammed eveeeeer on that site. I own 3 Hugo Boss suits and they are amazing but not so amazing I turn my nose up at BR, and Jcrew.

Maybe the model is just really skinny and makes it seem skinnier but it definitely looks skinnier than most suits. I wish I could find another picture of it.

J Crew Ludlow lapels are very slim. It's part of what their suits are known for. They used to carry their Thompson suits as well which had less "modern" proportions. However, the Thompson "brand" has become their lower end suit that they sell at J. Crew Factory stores; it has adopted the slimmer lapels as well.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
My boat shoe loathing is well documented in here. ;)

You guys know what style of hat this is? I bought it several years ago and have never come across another one. I'm in need of a replacement now, but the closest thing I'm able to find are newsboy caps which look awful on me.

tumblr_mley414BOp1qjbrwqo1_500.jpg

My boat shoe loathing is well documented in here. ;)

You guys know what style of hat this is? I bought it several years ago and have never come across another one. I'm in need of a replacement now, but the closest thing I'm able to find are newsboy caps which look awful on me.

Looks like a Gatsby-style hat.

I have a particular Gatsby-style hat from Goorin Bros. that never fails to get compliments every time I wear it. I can't find it on the site anymore (got it like 2-3 years ago), but it has earflaps which I fold up to give the inside a bit more padding. Pattern is a grey herringbone.

Here's one from the Goorin Bros. site that looks similar to that:
103-4257-TAN-L01.png

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Comic make a baked good and infuse all your boat shoe hatred into it

Then mail it to me

I will do this. How do you fell about durian, black licorice, and limburger?

Looks like a Gatsby-style hat.

Here's one from the Goorin Bros. site that looks similar to that:

Hmm, that's close, and it led me to find some listings for what's referred to as a duckbill flat cap. These sound like what I'm after: light material, streamlined sides, and one continuous piece of fabric -- no flaps, buttons, or seams. Thanks for the tip.

Hmm, that's close, and it led me to find some listings for what's referred to as a duckbill flat cap. These sound like what I'm after: light material, streamlined sides, and one continuous piece of fabric -- no flaps, buttons, or seams. Thanks for the tip.

No problem. As much as I like my newsboy caps, the gastby seems to be my go-to hat 90% of the time, though mine has the 8-panels versus the continuous piece.

Alucrid

Banned
I will do this. How do you fell about durian, black licorice, and limburger?

I don't know what two of them are, but if it ain't seafood I'll eat it.

nilbog21

Banned
hey guys I have a semi formal coming up but I have literally nothing to wear, any suggestions?

I'm a fit guy 5"9 who doesn't like to dress up, looking for something somewhat casual, a la ryan gosling maybe?

Zeppelin

Guys, underwear. I've been using boxer briefs for most of my life but I'm starting to get tired of them creeping up my legs all time. Using longer ones seem to solve some of this problem but I can't seem to find any that are my size (larger sizes are usually longer but also wider). I'm now considering switching to regular boxers (which are quite uncommon over here), do you think this would solve the problem?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Guys, underwear. I've been using boxer briefs for most of my life but I'm starting to get tired of them creeping up my legs all time. Using longer ones seem to solve some of this problem but I can't seem to find any that are my size (larger sizes are usually longer but also wider). I'm now considering switching to regular boxers (which are quite uncommon over here), do you think this would solve the problem?

I'd suggest trying two things (or a combination of both): trunks instead of boxer briefs, and underwear made with modal instead of cotton, as it's a much more resilient material and doesn't stretch out over time - or throughout the day, for that matter.

Ainaurdur

I hear good things about andrew christian briefs.

Yes! For a perfect balance of comfort, affordability, and only a dash of underwear snobbery, Andrew Christian is a great choice.

Though that still doesn't solve his initial question of what style to choose to replace his boxer briefs, AC carries all kinds. I agree with trunks over regular boxer-briefs any day.

The two I would suggest to try first would be in the Almost Naked line: Brief or Boxer.
They come in quite a few colors. (I must note, they call them 'boxers' but they really are more of a trunk. However, sometimes the leg of my AC boxer/trunks can creep up my thigh, similar to his initial problem.) If there is any reservation about going to a brief, fears of having everything squashed together and up close to your body, the Almost Naked pouch solves that problem that most guys have with traditional briefs. And yes, buy into the sales pitch, they really are that comfortable.

I happily rock American Apparel briefs in a variety of colors, as well as patterns. No worries about them riding up my thigh that's for sure.

Ainaurdur

Huh, briefs you say. I haven't worn briefs since I was like 10 years old. I'll have to look into that...

It's worth a shot. There are many styles out there that go far beyond the old 'tighty whitey'. ;)

Besides AC, I would also recommend looking at 2xist.

Or C-in2 "dirty" trunks.
Yes, I also like some C-IN2. Just not quite as much as the others.
And their prices have risen quite a bit in the last few years.

Zeppelin

It's worth a shot. There are many styles out there that go far beyond the old 'tighty whitey'. ;)

Besides AC, I would also recommend looking at 2xist.

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I prefer the look of the 2xist stuff. Too bad they don't sell lube like the AC shop does, though. ;(

Btw, I came across an English manufacturer when I was researching underwear a couple of weeks ago, with these being their crown jewel: http://www.sunspel.com/euro/mens/sea-island-cotton-underwear/sea-island-one-button-short.html (dat price)

I have never seen Boss slammed eveeeeer on that site. I own 3 Hugo Boss suits and they are amazing but not so amazing I turn my nose up at BR, and Jcrew.

I have, biggest slam is they're overpriced. People really dislike their pricetag and still being fused shoulders from what I remember. I think I remember some bashing the fabric is lower grade fabric for the pricepoint also but I'm not 100% on that. I read it a while ago. I have nothing personally against Boss except I hate how slim they run. I have to go up almost 2 sizes usually.

J Crew Ludlow lapels are very slim. It's part of what their suits are known for. They used to carry their Thompson suits as well which had less "modern" proportions. However, the Thompson "brand" has become their lower end suit that they sell at J. Crew Factory stores; it has adopted the slimmer lapels as well.

Ah, I didn't know anything about the history of it. I just don't like skinny lapels and I have big shoulders which makes skinnier lapels look even worse on me even if I did like them. The J Crew stores by me don't really care any suits so I haven't seen theirs but banana republic always has shoulder sizes a decent size smaller than mine so I don't know how they fit in comparison. I've heard good things about both for the price point though.

I have, biggest slam is they're overpriced. People really dislike their pricetag and still being fused shoulders from what I remember. I think I remember some bashing the fabric is lower grade fabric for the pricepoint also but I'm not 100% on that. I read it a while ago. I have nothing personally against Boss except I hate how slim they run. I have to go up almost 2 sizes usually.

Hmm interesting I haven't seen that but I have to admit I only started lurking that forum about 2 years ago. The one thing that I like about BOSS is how slim they are. The only suit outside of DKNY that I don't have to tailor and just fits perfectly.

Ah, I didn't know anything about the history of it. I just don't like skinny lapels and I have big shoulders which makes skinnier lapels look even worse on me even if I did like them. The J Crew stores by me don't really care any suits so I haven't seen theirs but banana republic always has shoulder sizes a decent size smaller than mine so I don't know how they fit in comparison. I've heard good things about both for the price point though.

On sale both BR and JCREW are great suits. Full price though is pretty nutty - $550-650 You crazy fellas.

Well I have two right now: Brown/grey cotton/wool and a black corduroy for the winter. All I need know is a grey, blue, and something odd, and I should be gtg
Yeah I'm planning on getting a new classic charcoal suit and then something crazy to go along with it. That or I'll just buy a bunch of crazy blazers instead.

Hmm interesting I haven't seen that but I have to admit I only started lurking that forum about 2 years ago. The one thing that I like about BOSS is how slim they are. The only suit outside of DKNY that I don't have to tailor and just fits perfectly.
Yep, my favorite blazer is from Hugo Boss. It fit me perfectly off the rack. I was in shock.

On sale both BR and JCREW are great suits. Full price though is pretty nutty - $550-650 You crazy fellas.

Yeah I'm planning on getting a new classic charcoal suit and then something crazy to go along with it. That or I'll just buy a bunch of crazy blazers instead.

Yep, my favorite blazer is from Hugo Boss. It fit me perfectly off the rack. I was in shock.

Damn you bastards with not having ridiculously broad shoulders. :mad:

Boss is fine, really. I know the internet likes to pretend that everyone has infinite time, ability, or desire to sift through ebay/forums/whatever to buy some obscure one-off caraceni/castangia/etc at 80% off but there comes a point where availability trumps all of that. I guiltless stan Calvin Klein Collection suits and I don't really give a huge fuck or not if it's canvassed by little old italian men on benches. The ladies love it and it looks good on me.

This doesn't mean you can't appreciate or admire the work that goes into traditionally made goods, of course. Knowing what you're buying is good. But I'll take Stephan Schneider over Cucinelli pretty much any day.

Boken

Banned
I have broad shoulders and a very small waist. its the WORST

we should start a broad shoulder support group

Boss is fine, really. I know the internet likes to pretend that everyone has infinite time, ability, or desire to sift through ebay/forums/whatever to buy some obscure one-off caraceni/castangia/etc at 80% off but there comes a point where availability trumps all of that. I guiltless stan Calvin Klein Collection suits and I don't really give a huge fuck or not if it's canvassed by little old italian men on benches. The ladies love it and it looks good on me.

This doesn't mean you can't appreciate or admire the work that goes into traditionally made goods, of course. Knowing what you're buying is good. But I'll take Stephan Schneider over Cucinelli pretty much any day.

what is 3 glasses of wine???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom