• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boss is fine, really. I know the internet likes to pretend that everyone has infinite time, ability, or desire to sift through ebay/forums/whatever to buy some obscure one-off caraceni/castangia/etc at 80% off but there comes a point where availability trumps all of that. I guiltless stan Calvin Klein Collection suits and I don't really give a huge fuck or not if it's canvassed by little old italian men on benches. The ladies love it and it looks good on me.

This doesn't mean you can't appreciate or admire the work that goes into traditionally made goods, of course. Knowing what you're buying is good. But I'll take Stephan Schneider over Cucinelli pretty much any day.
Great post, mac.

There's a very real possibility some people live in areas that they would NEVER see any items like that too.

There's a certain quality point with clothing, particularly suits, that once you pass you can't really go wrong, regardless of what some people may say. CKC and BOSS pass that point. Ain't nothing wrong with either of them.

Bro, I've got smaller wrists than most women I see. It's one of my greatest weaknesses.
Gotta start upping your wrist curl sets.

Antagon

Even if it's not as cheap as here in the Netherlands, you should check out Suit Supply for slim fitting suits. Price/quality is pretty damn good and they tend to fit really well.

overcast

So I have these grey/black shoes I just bought. Would it look good with a black blazer, black button up, grey vest, and grey bow tie? Or should I go for something different?

It's a formal thing, hence the vest and stuff.

Johnny M

So I have these grey/black shoes I just bought. Would it look good with a black blazer, black button up, grey vest, and grey bow tie? Or should I go for something different?

It's a formal thing, hence the vest and stuff.

Grey and something like a plain dark blue tie. In my opinion grey (charcoal grey in addition) fits better than black (i only use black clothes for funerals).

Ah, I didn't know anything about the history of it. I just don't like skinny lapels and I have big shoulders which makes skinnier lapels look even worse on me even if I did like them. The J Crew stores by me don't really care any suits so I haven't seen theirs but banana republic always has shoulder sizes a decent size smaller than mine so I don't know how they fit in comparison. I've heard good things about both for the price point though.

Banana Republic and J Crew suits fit somewhat similarly although the latter uses better materials and fits slightly slimmer.

I think you have the right idea and that most would he served by worrying less about brand and instead on the details you want to emphasize with your suit. To make that shit pop on you you're going to be spending cash to get it tailored anyways. So look at a variety of fabrics: wool, cotton, linen, seersucker for summer if you're feeling crazy. Look at the colors you want and consider whether you're wearing black or brown leathers with it; a tan chino suit will get tons of complements at an outdoor summer wedding, but can't be worn in fall or winter. Look at the number of vents in the back and buttons in the front.

Once you've determined what you like give it a shot no matter what brand. For all the guys that hop in here wanting to unrealistically look like Daniel Craig in a Bond movie; look more to the cut and tailoring of his jacket and pants than to the brand. Except for that pic posted a couple pages back that shit is fitted to him like a glove; he can't sit down without unbuttoning the top button.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
tumblr_ml399wGupB1qbzysno1_1280.jpg

bow
I'd like to think I could pull that off. I don't like low cut shoes though.

Musan

I'm currently traveling through Europe, but I didn't realize was such Antwerp was such a fashionable town. Saw a lot of high end collections of Kiton, Tom Ford, Dolce & Gabbana, etc. Also saw a "stockverkoop" for Stephan Schneider, which I guess means sample sale. Lot of his stuff looked cool, like the hoodie sportcoats, which for 200 euro, is a steal? Should I go back and cop something?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright anti-Sperry crowd. What are some good summer shoes that look good with every color combo of shorts/plain t-shirts and aren't crazy expensive?

Go.

I'm currently traveling through Europe, but I didn't realize was such Antwerp was such a fashionable town. Saw a lot of high end collections of Kiton, Tom Ford, Dolce & Gabbana, etc. Also saw a "stockverkoop" for Stephan Schneider, which I guess means sample sale. Lot of his stuff looked cool, like the hoodie sportcoats, which for 200 euro, is a steal? Should I go back and cop something?
Send me things in size 5 plz

Musan

Well, whatever I buy has to contend for space with the beer and chocolate I'm bringing back, and another week of traveling through the Netherlands and Germany, but I think I'll go back tomorrow and take another look.

Alright anti-Sperry crowd. What are some good summer shoes that look good with every color combo of shorts/plain t-shirts and aren't crazy expensive?

Go.

I'm a bit partial to these (Samba Original) though they're very casual:

1236348-p-2x.jpg

But I generally prefer non-leather shoes during the summer for breathability, like canvas.

My brother in law has linebacker sized shoulders and its a nightmare for him as well. He dresses impeccably but he has learned to tailor his own shirts. He double stitches them and everything. I bet he feels your pain.

Ya, having about a 10" drop is bullshit.

Banana Republic and J Crew suits fit somewhat similarly although the latter uses better materials and fits slightly slimmer.

I think you have the right idea and that most would he served by worrying less about brand and instead on the details you want to emphasize with your suit. To make that shit pop on you you're going to be spending cash to get it tailored anyways. So look at a variety of fabrics: wool, cotton, linen, seersucker for summer if you're feeling crazy. Look at the colors you want and consider whether you're wearing black or brown leathers with it; a tan chino suit will get tons of complements at an outdoor summer wedding, but can't be worn in fall or winter. Look at the number of vents in the back and buttons in the front.

Once you've determined what you like give it a shot no matter what brand. For all the guys that hop in here wanting to unrealistically look like Daniel Craig in a Bond movie; look more to the cut and tailoring of his jacket and pants than to the brand. Except for that pic posted a couple pages back that shit is fitted to him like a glove; he can't sit down without unbuttoning the top button.

Well ya, fit beats all. A crappy suit that fits well will always beat an ill-fitting expensive suit. Hugo Boss is fused but they don't seem to have thick shoulders which makes your shoulders look like you're wearing linebacker pads. Fused sometimes too has also made the shoulders of the fabric hand on me funny making a lot of wrinkles at the top of the jacket that looks bad. And for my job you pretty much can only wear charcoal and navy. I'm curious if people wear a suit with a different lining or something for the summer due to the heat and darker colors.

That colorway is blegh

For the MMMs? I think the mid-top was more interesting, but probably due to it having more of a dominant color, though I'm tired of black shoes. I'm not crazy about the white/grey hi-tops either. So it's a definite 'no' right now.

The CPs? I don't have an all-white shoe right now and kind of want one for the summer. :/

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The shoe style alright though for summer? Or is no laces a bad trend?

Oh yeah, it's a totally fine shoe. Just absurdly over-priced for what you're getting.

It's like the Staple x Puma shoes that are $250, even though you can get the exact same sneaker sans embroidered pigeon for $50.

Alucrid

Banned
For the MMMs? I think the mid-top was more interesting, but probably due to it having more of a dominant color, though I'm tired of black shoes. I'm not crazy about the white/grey hi-tops either. So it's a definite 'no' right now.

The CPs? I don't have an all-white shoe right now and kind of want one for the summer. :/
The mmm. Those legitimately look like bowling shoes, too much contrast. I like all back, white grey or canvas painted mmm lows. Everything else usually looks bad

All white cps are fine, though I'd rather mid or high than low. Dont wear my lows that much.

Don't overlook Vans, Pointer, or Generic Surplus.

Stopped by Vans in my case, wasn't really feeling them as I've owned 2 pairs of slip ons and was over them pretty quickly.

Generic Surplus, I wish was easier to find in San Francisco, as not everyone carries what I'm looking for.

Pointer... never heard but I'll take a look.

The mmm. Those legitimately look like bowling shoes, too much contrast. I like all back, white grey or canvas painted mmm lows. Everything else usually looks bad

All white cps are fine, though I'd rather mid or high than low. Dont wear my lows that much.

Yeah, that was my main problem with the mmms as well, so they're off my list for now. As far as summer shoes are concerned, I tend to prefer lows more, but I'll keep looking as it's only April.

Antagon

My pointer Charlies are dying :(. Awesome shoes, but the sole is nearly gone and the suede us getting pretty ugly. Of all the shoes I own these are the ones I got the most compliments on.

Probably getting some Janoski's as a replacement, but not sure abut the colorway yet.

Edit: digging this teal

xl_12-26-12NikeJanoskiForestBrown1.jpg

Zekes!

I was going to suggest Nordie's Rack, but then I remembered you're in Canada. There are always a bunch of slick, reasonably priced moccs on their shelves in a bunch of colors, and I was just eyeing some red ones the other day.

At least there's some hope coming next year?

I was on their website earlier, actually, and couldn't find much (in my price range, lots that I couldn't afford). Wish I could go in store though; I actually hadn't heard the news of them planning to open Canadian locations.

mooooose

If I wanted to sell my old raw denim where is the best place to do it? I've had my Samurais on SuFu for like two months and no one wants them (understandably, they are beat and I do want $100+ still). I can't afford Samurais for now, but I need a new pair of jeans and want to just get some New Standard APCs or something.

Where is the best place to sell old raw denim?

ebay, probably.

Shoes look nice, not sure how well that would jive with shorts, might be too clunky of a sole.

Also, go the makr button tote today. It's quite nice, the leather band is soft and tasty.

friday

I just saw the Naked and Famous Deep Indigo post on Blue Owls blog. I would love a pair of those. My skinny guy's are on the verge of blowing out in at least 3 different spots on the crotch. I wonder if I should repair them or save that money for a new pair. Denim therapy is in NYC, but their services are not very cheap.

Damn I wish I had a better job.

I just saw the Naked and Famous Deep Indigo post on Blue Owls blog. I would love a pair of those. My skinny guy's are on the verge of blowing out in at least 3 different spots on the crotch. I wonder if I should repair them or save that money for a new pair. Denim therapy is in NYC, but their services are not very cheap.

Damn I wish I had a better job.
The Deep Indigos are really nice. I've spent a pretty solid amount of time working with them since they arrived in the office. Great fabric, good color. Much more so than the Naked & Famous standard Indigo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom