• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
scar tissue said:
Got a couple of questions for fashion-GAF:
- Coat or jacket? I'm a coat guy but I had an argument with a buddy who believes that women prefer jackets on men because the butt is more visible. What say you, GAF?
- How tight fitting should jeans be for men? Hipster skinny jeans are an obvious no-go, but apart from that?
Coat and jacket. You should have more than one piece of outerwear. As for jeans it really depends on your body type and style you're going for.

Damn GAF, I need some help deciding here on a new coat for the winter. I was originally just looking for a peacoat but I'm seeing too much that I like. Probably going to have to go with 2 things for the winter, but right now I'm in between a peacoat like this or a similiar wool type coat like this or this. Any thoughts?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i have developed this perception that over the last fifteen years it's become far more affordable to dress with some amount of style. am i nuts? in 1995 was it not more prohibitively expensive to find clothing that was pretty posh? now you can get a decent blazer for less than a hundred dollars, i buy jeans for less than twenty, denim jackets for less than fifty bucks, and so on.

i wonder if i'm imagining it or if fashion has really grown more democratized.

Draft

beelzebozo said:
i have developed this perception that over the last fifteen years it's become far more affordable to dress with some amount of style. am i nuts? in 1995 was it not more prohibitively expensive to find clothing that was pretty posh? now you can get a decent blazer for less than a hundred dollars, i buy jeans for less than twenty, denim jackets for less than fifty bucks, and so on.

i wonder if i'm imagining it or if fashion has really grown more democratized.
2pVcl.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
are you saying the cost of making cheap clothing is largely due to exploitation of asian workers? or that the market value of panda meat, now widely available, is contributing to interest in fashion being shunted toward panda burgers?

Alucrid

Banned
beelzebozo said:
are you saying the cost of making cheap clothing is largely due to exploitation of asian workers? or that the market value of panda meat, now widely available, is contributing to interest in fashion being shunted toward panda burgers?
panda_15.jpg

tirminyl

This thread has made me a bit self conscious about what I wear. I've always been a t-shirt, jeans, sneakers sort of guy, nothing flashy. I have thus subscribed to get some pointers about my wardrobe.

Eric WK

tirminyl said:
This thread has made me a bit self conscious about what I wear. I've always been a t-shirt, jeans, sneakers sort of guy, nothing flashy. I have thus subscribed to get some pointers about my wardrobe.

As long as your t-shirt doesn't have a graphic on it and the pieces fit well, you're already ahead of the curve.

tirminyl

Eric WK said:
As long as your t-shirt doesn't have a graphic on it and the pieces fit well, you're already ahead of the curve.

It does, don't really like solid color t-shirts or button ups. So I guess that puts me behind the curve, lol.

Desi

honestly the only thing I would worry about is fit. Graphics or lack of don't mean much of anything. If someone had a Raf or Dior by Hedi graphic no one would bat an eye compared to someone with a Kr3w or Hundreds. Different groups different strokes different folks.

lljride

Hey guys, I need some shoe/boot recommendations to go with my APC New Standards. I tried on a pair of Clarks Desert Boots over the weekend, but I wasn't really feeling them (they seemed kinda bulbous, almost looked like a clown shoe). To be fair I'm used to wearing sneakers so maybe my perspective was out of whack, plus my eye for fashion is not great sometimes.

Any other good chukkas in the $150 range or so? Or am I better off looking at a low top shoe instead? I don't mind going a little higher if it's a nice pair, just need some ideas. Thanks in advance.

Chairman85

lljride said:
Hey guys, I need some shoe/boot recommendations to go with my APC New Standards. I tried on a pair of Clarks Desert Boots over the weekend, but I wasn't really feeling them (they seemed kinda bulbous, almost looked like a clown shoe). To be fair I'm used to wearing sneakers so maybe my perspective was out of whack, plus my eye for fashion is not great sometimes.

Any other good chukkas in the $150 range or so? Or am I better off looking at a low top shoe instead? I don't mind going a little higher if it's a nice pair, just need some ideas. Thanks in advance.
These Seavees work for me.

Alucrid

Banned
lljride said:

Are you sure you were trying on the right shoe? Dbs have a very slim profile.

lljride said:

Try the Openning Ceremony db , i love them and they are slimmer then the Clark's.

lljride

Alucrid said:
Are you sure you were trying on the right shoe? Dbs have a very slim profile.

Yeah, these are definitely what I tried on. All I really wear lately are sneakers with jeans or wingtips to work, so it might just take some getting used to.

It's hard to tell online, but these Johnston and Murphys look a little slimmer. I'll have to try a few different styles out and see what I like.

Will definitely check out the Seabees and Opening Ceremonys too. Appreciate the feedback guys.

Kraftwerk

Was looking for a backpack. I ride my bike everywhere, so needed something comfy and strong. Looked around and finally got this.

Chrome Yalta Roll-Top Backpack - Black

7lJFA.jpg

bob page

Eric WK said:
Buhhh. Wish this wasn't in store only.
Yeah, it's a pretty great deal. The desert boots, in particular, seemed to be selling out very fast (Manhattan). I went around noon and got the last pair in my size (there were about 5 other guys trying them on too).

YagizY

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent pair of wingtips for something around $200? Rather not go the ebay route. Looking for a black and brown pair.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
bob page said:
Yessir, I have everything shipped to my office instead of my apartment since I'm never there to sign.

Ah good call. Wish I could do that, I work on a base.

Guevara

Manshion GAF: Any rain boots/shoes to wear in the rain that don't look ridiculous?

What do you wear during the rainy season?

Boken

Banned
Guevara said:
Manshion GAF: Any rain boots/shoes to wear in the rain that don't look ridiculous?

I don't know how rainy it is there (ankle deep puddles?) but leather laceups look pretty good.

If you can pull off the older look, Chelsea boots have no places for water to enter.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Guevara said:

A lot of people suggest Bean Boots but I think they're ugly as sin.

bob page

Rookje said:
Its okay I guess, but where would you wear it?

I'm in my late 20s and even I can't find much opportunity to wear a sport coat. Mostly because my work office is very casual (most people here wear jeans and t-shirts).
My office is business casual and most people wear some sort of blazer. I only own a black one though and I've been looking to expand that part of my wardrobe (especially something that works with khakis).

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Rookje said:

I'm in my late 20s and even I can't find much opportunity to wear a sport coat. Mostly because my work office is very casual (most people here wear jeans and t-shirts).

My office is casual, but I still rock sports coats.

Their flip-flops and t-shirts just make me look better by comparison.

Draft

So you be the guy wearing jeans, an oxford and a sport coat. And then you be the guy all the secretaries lust after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom