• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'd think a natural/dark suede or tumbled leather would be better than black, unless you are stuck on black for a particular reason.

The general rule is your shoes should be darker than your pants. What color are your chinos?

I mainly wear the black shoes when I wear black chinos or grey chinos. Every once in a while I'll wear them with tan chinos (when wearing a black shirt). So they are versatile. For instance today I'm wearing black chinos, shoes, and a dark purple shirt.

DatDude

Banned
This may be strange, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen these boots:

ij3qHAZy6f7an.png

I like them strangely enough.

Speaking of Boots, any recommendations regarding some fashionable boots (not cowboy boots obviously)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ha, the purple shirt was just an example. Usually I wear the black shoes with black pants and a grey shirt, or grey pants and a black shirt. Also the aforementioned tan pants and black shirt.

So basically whenever there is some other black.

I just want to make sure nice black dress shoes don't look overdone with black or tan chinos that aren't really "dress" pants.

as long as they aren't super shiny captoes I'd think you would be ok. just apply the same qualities of your chinos to the shoes; a little washed/softened, slightly rumpled, etc

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
as long as they aren't super shiny captoes I'd think you would be ok. just apply the same qualities of your chinos to the shoes; a little washed/softened, slightly rumpled, etc

Alright. Got any good examples that wouldn't break the bank? I know Clark's also makes dress shoes, maybe them?

Pocks

I've never really been one to wear sunglasses. I got a pair today, and I remembered why. My left ear is a couple millimeters lower than my right, which makes them crooked.

I'd rather have the Gosling (lower eye) than the lower ear. Bah.
KuGsj.gif

Man, for as much as some of us swear by J. Crew for cheap essentials, I was looking through their May style guide and LOL at them selling paperclips and bobby-pins as "tie clips" for $85. What's the markup on that like 8500%?

Man, for as much as some of us swear by J. Crew for cheap essentials, I was looking through their May style guide and LOL at them selling paperclips and bobby-pins as "tie clips" for $85. What's the markup on that like 8500%?

J crew is cheap?

So would a $150 be a reasonable price for a Tee?

Phreaker

Well, they do look and feel like a quality product for instance. Don't know if that's conveyed by my shitty bathroom pics. But here you go.

Also the reflections and the artificial lighting make them look off a bit. I feel like they are less prominent in daylight.

I really like them.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
If I take a suit to someplace that does alterations, would they be able to give me the measurements of it? i.e. I don't want my measurements, I want them for an existing suit.

J. Crew isn't "cheap" so much as it is "affordable."

J crew is cheap?

So would a $150 be a reasonable price for a Tee?
Yeah, affordable is probably a more appropriate term. Granted, J. Crew tees are usually something like $20. Not a bad price.

If I take a suit to someplace that does alterations, would they be able to give me the measurements of it? i.e. I don't want my measurements, I want them for an existing suit.
I don't see why not. If it really counts, you could probably just measure it yourself though. Lots of tutorials online for stuff like that.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I legitimately cannot find a measuring tape for sale anywhere or I would. One would presumably not want to do this with a metal Craftsman tape. ;)

velociraptor

Fucking jean sizes are terrible.

I see straight fit (which is too baggy), and then I see skinny fit (which is too tight).

Currently 95% of my jeans are straight fit... which I don't like, but why can't I just have something that is a 'nice fit' instead of being the two extremes. Argh.

It's worse that my waist size is 31' (32 too big, 30 too small), so nothing ever fits. 30 straight fit jeans actually fit better (in the legs) while being too snug in the waist.

UK GAF, what are good retailers for jeans that are actually a good fit?

f0rk

I see straight fit (which is too baggy), and then I see skinny fit (which is too tight).

Currently 95% of my jeans are straight fit... which I don't like, but why can't I just have something that is a 'nice fit' instead of being the two extremes. Argh.

It's worse that my waist size is 31' (32 too big, 30 too small), so nothing ever fits. 30 straight fit jeans actually fit better (in the legs) while being too snug in the waist.

Levis have all sorts of fits. Also they have these things called 'belts' for your waist problem.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Levis 508 tapered fit FTW. Only brand that fits my thighs well, although the waist sizes are all kinds of messed up, I wear a 34 but have to get a 36 or the legs are too tight.

Here's the grey ones I got a few weeks back:

Pocks

Levis 508 tapered fit FTW. Only brand that fits my thighs well, although the waist sizes are all kinds of messed up, I wear a 34 but have to get a 36 or the legs are too tight.

Here's the grey ones I got a few weeks back:

If Manshion GAF had awards, you'd be a shoo-in for Most Improved. Nice work.

iamcenok

Help me Gaf! Shooting a wedding. Here's my get up, but I need shoes. What would go good with this..?
Big fan of brown shoes but unsure it would work.
8677226330_717175e80f.jpg

whaaa? i have a measuring tape, think i got it at bartell's or something...
Pretty sure he means cloth/fabric measuring tape. With that said, I'd be surprised if Bartell's or something similar doesn't have one.

Echoing what Cyclone said and recommending you try some tapered fits. Levi's 508 work, as well as Unbranded Tapered Fit and/or Naked & Famous Weird Guy. All are good starting points.

Bride to be -- her last lame will be Teal, so I went with something a bit... Fun. Haha
Brown should work fine. Ideally you'd have a similarly colored belt.

My Seattle Raniers jersey finally showed up.

Good Lord at the detail on the hand made chain stitching.

u7Fr2Ov.jpg

Took 2 weeks longer than expected but it's a beauty.

I know clothing like this isn't the big thing around here, but damn it's handcrafted goodness that had care and what not go into it.

Boken

Banned
#teamtucked will probably want to have a word with you.

Especially if everybody will be in cocktail attire - but I dont know your friends. Why wouldnt you want to look like the most handsome dude there?

yo cocktail event = swaggy nighttime attire. definitely no chinos.

edit: if it's casual, just dress non-slobby and iron your shirt.
My Seattle Raniers jersey finally showed up.
Wow, that's very nice.

Help me Gaf! Shooting a wedding. Here's my get up, but I need shoes. What would go good with this..?
Big fan of brown shoes but unsure it would work.
8677226330_717175e80f.jpg
spectators, definitely. cole haan, allen edmonds, etc.

edit: If you are hardcore dedicated to this blue business, head to cole haan:
Air-Colton-Saddle-C11515_A.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom