• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

I was the youngest by 3 years minimum at the time of the last event at 21. Shame right..
If everyone else at this event is going that casual, then go ahead and do casual. If there are other people who are dressing like it's a cocktail event, then dress like you're supposed to.

get rayban wayfarers

those look like dollar store shades

I admit that I have trouble with sunglasses due to my long face, however Wayfarers do surprisingly look great on everyone. Just bought some (after losing my Prada aviators) 2 days ago.

zO51Isn.jpg

hugo-boss-null-matano-suede-wingtip-gray-product-1-3484019-845539889_large_flex.jpeg

Looking for a pair of gray wingtips similar to these from Hugo Boss. I would go with these exact ones if they weren't outside of my current budgetary range. Any suggestions?

robox

i experimented with 511, 513 and didn't work out at all.
508 is ok
settled on 505 which is just right with my cyclist legs

fit guide hell if i can keep track of all of that

That's much better price wise, but I don't like the look of that particular shoe. The one I posted is about $250. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for shoes.

But if they last 2 years that's 35 cents a day that you paid. And they will last more than two years. Sure you don't wear them everyday but you'll be happy every day that you could if you wanted.

That's much better price wise, but I don't like the look of that particular shoe. The one I posted is about $250. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for shoes.

Well, one thing I can vouch for when it comes to more expensive shoes is comfort. I've bought cheap-o Aldo shoes on rush occasions where I needed a quick dress shoe, and ended up wearing them until they fell apart (3 mo.); and it killed my feet. I have problems with arches in my feet and only until recently in my life have I begun to not feel bad or guilty buying expensive shoes, especially when you stand all day and feel agonizing pain afterwards.

Not to say that price automatically equals comfort, but as long as it's made with quality materials, it's certainly better than most, and you'll end up saving money in the long run as long as you take care of them.

Hammer

Hey guys, another total fashion noob here.

My best friend and my wife both decided it was time for me to stop looking like I'm in college (30 now, but young looking) and get rid of my baggy clothes and boot cut jeans. So went on a massive shopping spree yesterday with them.

Along the way I picked up a pair of ALDO sneakers, and was wondering what do i do with the laces? Haha, totally dumb question, I know. But like, do I tie them out front? or do I tuck them in awkwardly somehow? I just don't know. Any insight?

For refrence, I'm currently wearing the Jagger
http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/men/shoes/sneakers/95146431-jagger/97

Self Edge is having a sale this weekend at their NY, SF, and LA stores as well as online. Just 13% off, but I figure I'd give people a heads up in case they're interested.

I was in their SF store last weekend, and they have a ton of cool stuff. Does anyone know of a good place to start when looking for better denim? I tried on some Imperials, Flat Heads, and Sugar Canes at their store. They seemed nice, but it's a little overwhelming jumping into the deep end of higher quality denim. Just curious if people here have brands they prefer or suggestions on what to look for/at. I've worn Levis 514's for years and haven't ventured beyond that. Thanks.

Alucrid

Banned
Self Edge is having a sale this weekend at their NY, SF, and LA stores as well as online. Just 13% off, but I figure I'd give people a heads up in case they're interested.

I was in their SF store last weekend, and they have a ton of cool stuff. Does anyone know of a good place to start when looking for better denim? I tried on some Imperials, Flat Heads, and Sugar Canes at their store. They seemed nice, but it's a little overwhelming jumping into the deep end of higher quality denim. Just curious if people here have brands they prefer or suggestions on what to look for/at. I've worn Levis 514's for years and haven't ventured beyond that. Thanks.

I'm sure one of the sales staff would've helped you, otherwise the only other place might be Blue in Green soho in NYC.

Luckybro can probably help you too with what they stock at blueowl

Hey guys, another total fashion noob here.

My best friend and my wife both decided it was time for me to stop looking like I'm in college (30 now, but young looking) and get rid of my baggy clothes and boot cut jeans. So went on a massive shopping spree yesterday with them.

Along the way I picked up a pair of ALDO sneakers, and was wondering what do i do with the laces? Haha, totally dumb question, I know. But like, do I tie them out front? or do I tuck them in awkwardly somehow? I just don't know. Any insight?

For refrence, I'm currently wearing the Jagger
http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/men/shoes/sneakers/95146431-jagger/97

I'd just tie them like anything else.

I'm sure one of the sales staff would've helped you, otherwise the only other place might be Blue in Green soho in NYC.

Luckybro can probably help you too with what they stock at blueowl
Thanks. I'll probably just head back over there at some point and see what they recommend. The sales staff was helpful when I was there. It just sounds like a lot of the jeans there will look different and feel different when they're finally broken in, so it was hard for me to figure out what I wanted.

giga

what exactly is a cocktail event
In the most literal sense, an evening event where they serve cocktails. Usually before dinner.

A black tie event is kind of similar. All you need to know is that it's a formal event where you're usually required a suit and tie. At the bare minimum, you need to be wearing a shirt. (business casual)

Honestly, shoes are about as good of a thing to spend your money on as you can find in the fashion world. The difference between budget shoes and high quality is astronomical, especially if we're talking dress shoes and/or boots.

The construction of cheap shoes is well, cheap. They'll fall apart in 6 month, a year if you're lucky. Why pay $70 twice a year when you can buy high quality shoes for $200 or so and never have to worry about them again? Not to mention they (generally) look better. Believe me, I'm all for budgeting money where you can with fashion, but I'd strongly urge you to keep an open mind when it comes to shoes cause you really WILL notice the difference in quality, unlike a shirt or sweatshirt or something.

Part of the reason a lot of us love Naked & Famous so much is how relatively easy they are to jump into. The price is much more reasonable ($120-$200) than super high-end Japanese stuff ($300+), hundreds of styles to choose from, all of which generally come in multiple fits (Skinny Guy, Weird Guy, etc). Of course, the quality and construction is top-notch as well. Made in Canada with all Japanese materials. Really wonderful jeans at a solid price, I own 4 pairs.

Unquestionably the cheapest option is Ubranded ($80-$120). Some people swear by Unbranded not only because of the price, but because the Indigo versions fade especially well thanks to their chemical dying (as opposed to rope dye). They come in Standard, Skinny and Tapered fit, so there's definitely an option out there for you. Also, don't let the price tag fool you. The quality is on par with some of the major denim brands, Unbranded is just made in China as opposed to Japan/Canada/USA.

Beyond those, I'd look into 3Sixteen ($215) and United Stock Dry Goods ($135-$170). Hope that helps!

3sixteen is a good 'dipping your toes in serious water but not too much' brand IMO.
Part of the reason a lot of us love Naked & Famous so much is how relatively easy they are to jump into. The price is much more reasonable ($120-$200) than super high-end Japanese stuff ($300+), hundreds of styles to choose from, all of which generally come in multiple fits (Skinny Guy, Weird Guy, etc). Of course, the quality and construction is top-notch as well. Made in Canada with all Japanese materials. Really wonderful jeans at a solid price, I own 4 pairs.

Unquestionably the cheapest option is Ubranded ($80-$120). Some people swear by Unbranded not only because of the price, but because the Indigo versions fade especially well thanks to their chemical dying (as opposed to rope dye). They come in Standard, Skinny and Tapered fit, so there's definitely an option out there for you. Also, don't let the price tag fool you. The quality is on par with some of the major denim brands, Unbranded is just made in China as opposed to Japan/Canada/USA.

Beyond those, I'd look into 3Sixteen ($215) and United Stock Dry Goods ($135-$170). Hope that helps!
Sounds good. Thanks, guys - I appreciate the help.

FashionGaf, I've got an inquiry on suits for you.

I have an upcoming interview for a relatively big shipping corporation as an intern (spreadsheets and all that jazz), and if I owned a well-fitting suit, I'd probably wear one.

However, I don't. Now my dilemma is, is it okay to go in wearing a nice pair of pants and an ironed dress shirt. A better question would be, would a suit even be a worthwhile investment. I found a perfectly fitting one from Express not too long ago, but it costs $400-$500. Considering that I'm a computer science student, I highly highly doubt I'll ever be wearing suits all the time.

Wut do?

I agree with Mac. You never know when you might need one again. It doesn't have to be that Express one necessarily, but definitely buy one at some point.

Go with dark grey or navy for a first suit as well, preferably dark grey. It goes with everything.

FashionGaf, I've got an inquiry on suits for you.

I have an upcoming interview for a relatively big shipping corporation as an intern (spreadsheets and all that jazz), and if I owned a well-fitting suit, I'd probably wear one.

However, I don't. Now my dilemma is, is it okay to go in wearing a nice pair of pants and an ironed dress shirt. A better question would be, would a suit even be a worthwhile investment. I found a perfectly fitting one from Express not too long ago, but it costs $400-$500. Considering that I'm a computer science student, I highly highly doubt I'll ever be wearing suits all the time.

Wut do?

If you need one on the cheap and quickly, go to JC Penny and buy a black slim fit, probably run you $200.

You should never be without suits.

I wouldn't buy a black suit unless you plan on attending lots of funerals in the near future. Black is not good for business.

What?

What kind of evidence do you have to say that a black suit is "not good for business"? That's an elitist recruiter-type myth, the more important thing than color is that it's tailored and not falling off your shoulders like you borrowed it from your dad's closet -- a glaring indication that you're immature and ill-prepared. Black, charcoal, or navy blue are all standard power suits and should be worn likewise.

What?

What kind of evidence do you have to say that a black suit is "not good for business"? That's an elitist recruiter-type myth, the more important thing than color is that it's tailored and not falling off your shoulders like you borrowed it from your dad's closet -- a glaring indication that you're immature and ill-prepared. Black, charcoal, or navy blue are all standard power suits and should be worn likewise.
Of course, fit is the most important thing. We agree on that. A well fitting suit is going to look good regardless of the color.

To me, black suits just look out of place in the business world, hence being "bad for business (setting)". They look great at night, fancy dinners/cocktail parties, events and of course, funerals, but in broad daylight and/or the office they just look funny. Granted, some people can get away with it, sure, but I think for a first suit, black would be a bad option. Grey and navy work better with just about every color outside of the greyscale.

lenovox1

I disagree.

He looks great!

But that's a suit that you'd wear to a formal party, wedding, funeral, or if you were one of the Men in Black. Too dapper and formal for a work environment for most tastes.

Not to mention that charcoal, grey, and navy are far more versatile, and will pair with an endless variety of shirt/tie/shoe/pocket square combinations. (Everything I said was already covered by luckyboyceo.)

SonicBoom

picked up some shoes this month thanks to this thread :D

April haul about $135 for 4 pairs

Since I bought them in grey/blue, I want these too but they didn't have my size so I placed an order online from JCPenny.com. I hope they can fulfill my order. I really love the colors and the look.

TCRS

Banned
picked up some shoes this month thanks to this thread :D

April haul about $135 for 4 pairs

Nice desert boots, I'm thinking of getting a pair. In dark brown, goes with everything I'd say. And I need some sneakers, I've got to get away from hiking shoes. Grey I'm thinking.

giga

+1 black suit, especially if you can only afford one right now.

Black tie events, formal occasions, weddings, funerals, interviews -- it works for them all. If you think it's too formal, just wear a colored shirt and and a non-black tie.

I wore a black suit to all my interviews post-graduation. After I was hired, the recruiters complimented me on my attire and said too many mid-20 somethings don't suit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom