• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
let me paint you a picture here lunchbox

not but two years out of university, you are a up-and-coming ad executive at a fortune 500 company. you're up for a substantial promotion, but there is one other candidate you are in close competition with, some rube who makes the numbers work but has the class of a mcdonald's napkin.

football season rolls around, and everyone is welcome to wear something sports related on game day. naturally, this achilles heel of a schlub, gunning for your position, comes in donning some lame sports apparel and team sneakers. he strolls by your office, pokes his smarmy head in, passively-aggressively questioning out loud how you could talk so much of your love for the game but have nothing to show.

bemused, you casually look up from your computer, taking a moment from browsing your cougarlife profile (deleting all the requests from 8's since your inbox is full), smile confidently, and reply, "Your flammable polyesters are nice, but my loafers are made with the pebbled, high-quality tanned leather used in official NFL footballs"

AGCCF.gif

The man turns ghostly white, heads to the elevator, and is never seen from again.

ahahaha I love you

Lunchbox

Banned
The man turns ghostly white, heads to the elevator, and is never seen from again.

how about these sperrys-

bdNf8s6.png

combo'd with -

fitch oxford, chinos and my wayfarers (rb2140)

hndNRv8.png
wBQHG2r.jpg
nqo5KLC.jpg

its for the business school after party so think accounting and finance majors. Cant do shorts cause its still too chilly in connecticut

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to pull the trigger on these:

Any thoughts or comments before I make a decision I may forever regret? I'm looking for a nice pair of loafers and these seem to fit the bill.

The shoes' color seems a bit too similar to the chinos, but maybe it will look fine in person. If you wanna prep it up a bit for the CT crowd then throw in a pink oxford shirt instead, or maybe a red/blue gingham shirt.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Oh also, anyone have suggestions on where to get shirts tailored in NYC? I want to get a few shirts custom made as well as possibly a waistcoat/vest.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
those are 'old man' loafers, which isn't bad if that's what you want. they look nice.

Eh, I'm looking for something I can wear with rolled up chinos when I'm going out, and also something I can wear to work on casual Friday paired with slacks. Maybe I should get two separate loafers.

What's a good casual loafer?

Edit: That Sperry loafer is pretty nice.

IceCold

I need your help guys. Can you tell me of any brand that makes skinny/slim jeans (must be tapered) that are 1% spandex? I have a pair of Levi's 511 that are like that and I find them comfortable as hell. I tried a pair of 511 with 100% cotton and I found very uncomfortable and too tight. The 1% spandex does wonders and I'm looking for other pants that are made with it.

These are the ones I'm talking about: http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=16621966&&cp=3146842.3146854.3691990

I need your help guys. Can you tell me of any brand that makes skinny/slim jeans (must be tapered) that are 1% spandex? I have a pair of Levi's 511 that are like that and I find them comfortable as hell. I tried a pair of 511 with 100% cotton and I found very uncomfortable and too tight. The 1% spandex does wonders and I'm looking for other pants that are made with it.

These are the ones I'm talking about: http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=16621966&&cp=3146842.3146854.3691990

I usually find a pair at Levi's and check out the tag when in store. Normally I go for the 98%/2% cotton-elastane or my current pair of 513s 94%/4% cotton-polyester.

All of Levi's Commuter line has the blend while brands that can commonly be found in skate/surf shops also tend to have non-100% cotton jeans on hand as well.

Naked & Famous Skinny Guys as well as their Slim Guys (if you can find them) have a few pairs that have non-100% cotton blends too for starters.

Alucrid

Banned

Uniqlo. But they're even better at 2% spandex.

Totakeke

I'm sorry guys, but loafers are ugly and like Fedoras, they don't work on most people. Boat shoes are the same to a lesser extent.

Totakeke

IMO obviously, but yeah, they don't work in urban settings. Beach or on a cruise? Sure. And those are boat shoes, not loafers!

Fedora comparison is that they kinda work more on rich or aged folk that when loafers = dressing down. On young guys they just look off.

Totakeke

Just to be clear, I'm referring to loafers here. I don't like boat shoes either for a different reason but they're still better than loafers. And trying too hard reference refers to the Fedora comparison.

Antagon

I prefer the black white trainers:

nike-flyknit-racer-5.jpg

To be fair, wasn't sold by the pictures online, but they looked dope when I saw someone wearing them.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This is a stupid question, but when wearing a button up (or any tucked shirt for that matter) do you guys tuck it in, then pull a bit of the fabric back out all the way around to have a bit of fabric hanging over your belt? I have to do this, but I've seen people that somehow just tuck in the shirt and it looks perfect. No pulling fabric out and you see their full belt, whereas mine is covered.

Is this just due to the fit? I can't see a scenario in which I get the no pulling look to work. Seems like as soon as you raised an arm or something fabric would pull anyways.

Any of that make sense? I ask because a friend somehow pulled off the look recently and didn't have any fabric overhang, and I cannot get that to work at all.

--------------------------------------------------
Also I like that look you posted Lunchbox. I've never been able to wear chinos outside of work because it still seems to dressy on me, but maybe I'll try that color combo. White and regular tan looks nice. If you wear Sperrys with it I assume low socks too? Does it look odd having essentially no socks on with chinos? (Or any long pants?)

-----------------------------

I prefer the black white trainers:

nike-flyknit-racer-5.jpg

To be fair, wasn't sold by the pictures online, but they looked dope when I saw someone wearing them.

These are nice. Might consider... Though I don't see that color combo on the Nike site.
-------------------

Also I'm still debating wedding attire for when I go to San Diego in 3 weeks. I've debated a blazer but don't know when I'd ever wear it again. Any good suggestions for lighter colored wedding wear? Just chinos, button up, and maybe a tie? Whats a good color combo of those 3 + shoes/belt?

sruckus

Anyone have recs for a smaller bag for carrying like an iPad and other random stuff? Now that I'm not a student I feel so lame carrying my big book bag still.

Ideally it'd be casual enough that I could use it for bringing stuff to the pool as well as work (not suit and tie place here), but maybe that's not possible.

Do most of you clean/shine your leather shoes from home?

If so, can someone recommend a kit, or your preferred items for one?

Saphir Medaille D'Or

This man speaks the truth. Best brand.

Once you have some cream (I'd suggest the saphir crème universelle for an all-around job + some colorless médaille d'or if you're unsure of what exact tint you want) all you need is (1) old cotton T-shirts (the more they have been washed the better) to apply the cream (very little!) and (2) a brush (horse hair) to err... brush the shoes (at least 30 minutes, preferably 12 hours after applying the cream). And you're set.

And don't confuse cream (to take care and nourish the leather and give them a bit of a shine, absolutely necessary) and wax (to get them even shinier, totally optional). Most people only use wax which is the biggest mistake you can make after:
- not having shoe trees (unvarnished)
- wearing the same pair two days in a row.

For more fancy/detailed recommendations you can head over to styleforums.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This is a stupid question, but when wearing a button up (or any tucked shirt for that matter) do you guys tuck it in, then pull a bit of the fabric back out all the way around to have a bit of fabric hanging over your belt? I have to do this, but I've seen people that somehow just tuck in the shirt and it looks perfect. No pulling fabric out and you see their full belt, whereas mine is covered.

Is this just due to the fit? I can't see a scenario in which I get the no pulling look to work. Seems like as soon as you raised an arm or something fabric would pull anyways.

Any of that make sense? I ask because a friend somehow pulled off the look recently and didn't have any fabric overhang, and I cannot get that to work at all.

I tuck my shirt in all the way. Yeah it gets tugged up every now and then but you can always re-tuck it. There's nothing that looks worse than billowing waves of fabric around your waist/back IMO. Plus, it's a chance to show off that fancy belt that you're wearing.

I have some shirts that are too big around the waist and I have serious issues keeping them under control, but these were shirts I bought before I knew that shirts should be slim fitting and preferably tailored, so I try not to wear them if I can avoid it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I tuck my shirt in all the way. Yeah it gets tugged up every now and then but you can always re-tuck it. There's nothing that looks worse than billowing waves of fabric around your waist/back IMO. Plus, it's a chance to show off that fancy belt that you're wearing.

I have some shirts that are too big around the waist and I have serious issues keeping them under control, but these were shirts I bought before I knew that shirts should be slim fitting and preferably tailored, so I try not to wear them if I can avoid it.

Yeah, all mine are slim fit, but when tucking them in and adding a belt it cinches the shirt just enough that it looks weird tucked all the way in. I in no way have the old man style huge billows, but I can't ever do the tuck all the way in and show your belt style.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, all mine are slim fit, but when tucking them in and adding a belt it cinches the shirt just enough that it looks weird tucked all the way in. I in no way have the old man style huge billows, but I can't ever do the tuck all the way in and show your belt style.

Yeah your shirt is gonna get cinched when you tuck it in but that's a fact of life. I would have to see how it looks on you to say for sure, but I would guess having your shirt tucked in all the way would still look better than tucking it in and then slightly pulling it out to cover your belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom