• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah your shirt is gonna get cinched when you tuck it in but that's a fact of life. I would have to see how it looks on you to say for sure, but I would guess having your shirt tucked in all the way would still look better than tucking it in and then slightly pulling it out to cover your belt.

Maybe I can take a pic or two sometime. I've tried it and it looks bad with my clothes, I just assume they aren't fitted enough. My friend looks great doing it your way though. May be body type too, he's a bit more built in the upper body.

So what's the opinion on chinos + low cut shoes (Sperrys, etc) with low socks? Look fine? Do you need to roll up the chinos a bit?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I can take a pic or two sometime. I've tried it and it looks bad with my clothes, I just assume they aren't fitted enough. My friend looks great doing it your way though. May be body type too, he's a bit more built in the upper body.

Yeah it's possible your body type factors into it. Generally loose fitting clothes just make you look larger than you actually are, so it's better to avoid them.

So what's the opinion on chinos + low cut shoes (Sperrys, etc) with low socks? Look fine? Do you need to roll up the chinos a bit?

I roll up my chinos when I wear low cut shoes. I try to wear no-show socks from J Crew and I swear by them. Very comfortable and it looks great to not have any sock showing out of the top of your shoe.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah it's possible your body type factors into it. Generally loose fitting clothes just make you look larger than you actually are, so it's better to avoid them.

I roll up my chinos when I wear low cut shoes. I try to wear no-show socks from J Crew and I swear by them. Very comfortable and it looks great to not have any sock showing out of the top of your shoe.

Thanks. Do you roll them and wear tucked button ups? Or is it more for an untucked shirt + chinos look.

I'm trying to put together some looks for summer, thus all the questions. I've never really been able to wear chinos outside of work.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. Do you roll them and wear tucked button ups? Or is it more for an untucked shirt + chinos look.

I'm trying to put together some looks for summer, thus all the questions. I've never really been able to wear chinos outside of work.

Here's my rule #1: If I wear a button up shirt, it's always tucked. I like the tucked-in shirt + chinos look, and I also really like the tucked-in shirt + shorts look. However make sure to roll up your sleeves if you're wearing a button-up shirt with shorts, because otherwise you will look weird. Also if you're wearing shorts make sure they're not athletic or gym shorts (goes without saying, but you never know).

I generally roll up my chinos, tuck in my shirt, roll up my sleeves, and choose a nice pair of sunglasses to pair with the outfit. You can even add a blazer to class it up (don't roll up your sleeves if you're doing this), or even a tie. I've been known to rock a fedora on occasion. Just make sure the colors/patterns go well together. One of my favorite looks is white rolled up chinos, boat shoes/loafers, a pink oxford shirt, and a navy blue blazer. Looks dope.

Here's another look:

bottom-shop.jpg

Lunchbox

Banned
I've been known to rock a fedora on occasion. Just make sure the colors/patterns go well together. One of my favorite looks is white rolled up chinos, boat shoes/loafers, a pink oxford shirt, and a navy blue blazer. Looks dope.
*hurls

bro you'd be thrown out of my frat and be ostracized to New Jersey

no tucks unless you're at work, always roll up sleeves unless there's a blazer

what you tuck your shirt in just walking around town, at the beach, at the mall?

are you 70? my dad does that and I can't make him stop. it's what old people do
I do actually, and no, I'm not 70.

Some shirts are made to be tucked in, that's the whole reason they're cut long. Tucking in a shirt can look sophisticated and casual at the same time depending on what you pair it with. I'm a firm believer that it looks more put together than having your shirt untucked, assuming the shirt is meant to do the former.

I do actually, and no, I'm not 70.

Some shirts are made to be tucked in, that's the whole reason they're cut long. Tucking in a shirt can look sophisticated and casual at the same time depending on what you pair it with. I'm a firm believer that it looks more put together than having your shirt untucked, assuming the shirt is meant to do the former.

Let's not start this madness again. Things can get heated on both sides.

Boken

Banned
team tuck wins soley because most shirts are not designed to be left untucked, and the kind of people (oooh judgemental) who want to untuck everything are not going to be bothered to get every shirt tailored

Lunchbox

Banned
team tuck wins soley because most shirts are not designed to be left untucked, and the kind of people (oooh judgemental) who want to untuck everything are not going to be bothered to get every shirt tailored
that's the point when you wear untucked you are wearing an exclusive shirt

any old navy and sears rag can be tucked in. it takes a figure to pull of untuck

Kraftwerk

I went balls to the walls today and bought a pair of really bright green jeans. Decided to add more color to my wardrobe for summer. Will post a pic later.

that's the point when you wear untucked you are wearing an exclusive shirt

any old navy and sears rag can be tucked in. it takes a figure to pull of untuck
What the fuck are you even talking about, dude?

I went balls to the walls today and bought a pair of really bright green jeans. Decided to add more color to my wardrobe for summer. Will post a pic later.
Jeans or chinos? Regardless, that's dope. I know you've been looking for green pants for awhile now. Glad you finally got some.

Probably cause jeans typically have a lower rise than suit trousers would. Depending on the fit, the shirt can balloon out around the hips. More tailored shirts can help avoid this.

Lunchbox

Banned
honestly though, living in the northeast i mostly wear a sweater over my shirts so no one can tell if its tucked or not anyways

so im fighting a false war with tucked goobers

NJq4iJm.jpg

Rookje

I think tucked works if you have the body for it. If you have any kind of belly it highlights the fact, and can make you look older. It also depends on if you have a belt and what type of jeans you wear.

If you have a long torso and shorter legs, and wear low cut jeans with a tucked shirt it will look odd, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom