• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I don't understand why neat patterns or prints are (almost) exclusive to pricey brands. If I have to buy another plaid I'm going to scream.

Bought some shorts at J. Crew today that fit the bill of what many people in here (including myself) have asked for recently. Slim fit in the thighs, length (11") hits just above the knees.

If you're looking for something similar, I'd definitely recommend checking them out in person and trying them on. I vaguely remember someone in here telling me they didn't fit well but that most certainly wasn't my experience. Granted, I've been hitting leg day hard recently (FallingEdge would be proud) so if you have super skinny legs, your mileage may vary.

Anyone have recommendations for stylish running shoes? I've never had running shoes before but I decided that I should pick some up since I'm going to add running to my fitness regimen. Thanks guys!

skynidas

Banned
Anyone have recommendations for stylish running shoes? I've never had running shoes before but I decided that I should pick some up since I'm going to add running to my fitness regimen. Thanks guys!

nike-free-3.0-free-5.0-id-now-available.jpg

Nike Free 5.0

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Scored a perfect slim-cut dark wash denim jacket today; forgot I had a thrift store gift card in my wallet, and it was enough to cover all but $5 of the cost. #thriftlyfe

I don't care for a lot of the Free Run series, but the turquoise Free Run+2 definitely got my attention in person.

Boken

Banned
Nah hes an alright dude if you consider he lives in a tier of society above our own

I wouldnt mind hanging out with him in new york if hes willing to shout me food at multiple Michelin star restaurants and drinks

Antagon

Nike flyknits in black/white.

Or try and get your hands on some new balance tazzy devils

Blackhead

Redarse
I'd say most of the famous expensive brands (Ralph, Armani, Gant etc) is mostly geared towards the upper-middle class or people with a modest income wanting to emulate their wealthier peers by spending all their money on a pair of jeans or a California Goose jacket (the worst offender of this). That's the way it works in Europe anyway.

So uh. Canada.

Canada Goose.
Is Canada Goose even popular in Europe? I thought they had Moncler to satisfy that expensive city sportswear niche.

chanel and fendi always seemed like street luxury to me. doesnt have the same swagger as emporios of the world. they are also chick focused so meh

but 300$ for shirts is not luxury, its dumb. Im all for spending a few Ks on a suit, because its a suit. few hundreds on a shoe, fine. its a shoe, needs quality will last a long time.
But my 100$ ralphs, cks, tommys and abercrombies feel just as comfortable and look just as great (or even better) than the designer stuff i tried on.

spending that much on a shirt is meh because the return on investment isnt there.
... you buy 100$ tommys and abercrombies?
Ralph and CK aren't designer stuff?!

Went to a Kentucky Derby party today. Lots of seersucker, bow ties, sun dresses, and large hats. Life should be like this every day.
In SF that's just a regular day

Do you have flat and wide feet? Do your soles wear out unevenly? If so, finding stylish looking running shoes will be difficult.

KAOz

Short bus special
Guys, I have a somewhat of a silly question for you.

My sister is having her 25th-birthday party in the middle of the month. Huge gathering, loads of people. My getup will most likely be akin to this:

My vest and suit paints might be a few shades lighter though.

But, here comes the BIG question. Shoes for it. I have a pair of dark brown shoes, and I know they are somewhat casual. Which is nice. But, would it fit? Or should I dust off my black ones?

For reference, the shoes are the same colour as these:
4w2J4PX.jpg

Deeku

You know, I have always gone with the "don't wear brown shoes with black" rule, and for the most part, people generally adhere to it too. But I've recently moved to work in Hong Kong, and I'm seeing LOTS of brown (sometimes maybe more orangey brown than actual brown) with black. Even when I was suit shopping, the sales woman was trying to sell me brown shoes with my suit saying it's fine:/ Maybe it's an asian trend thing?

giga

You know, I have always gone with the "don't wear brown shoes with black" rule, and for the most part, people generally adhere to it too. But I've recently moved to work in Hong Kong, and I'm seeing LOTS of brown (sometimes maybe more orangey brown than actual brown) with black. Even when I was suit shopping, the sales woman was trying to sell me brown shoes with my suit saying it's fine:/ Maybe it's an asian trend thing?
Disgusting.

Edit: Are you sure you're not seeing dark navy with brown? That combo actually works. Brown with black dress trousers definitely doesn't fit to me.

KAOz

Short bus special
Depends what color your pants are. Black pants need black shoes. Otherwise it's fine.

Sweet, the pants are matching the vest really. Have a black belt though, but the vest covers the colour of it except for the silver buckle.

Good, then I dont have to worry. Thanks alot.

Deeku

Disgusting.

Edit: Are you sure you're not seeing dark navy with brown? That combo actually works. Brown with black dress trousers definitely doesn't fit to me.
Yeah navy n brown is good, but I'm pretty sure I've been seeing black. It's not super jet black, I mean most black suits aren't really that black anyway, but it's black for sure. It's hit or miss for me, probably more miss. Really odd. Have yet to see any western dudes doing it though.

Skinpop

Looking for some white shoes.

I mostly dress very minimalist. No patterns or graphics, just simple, clean & lightweight clothing. Need a pair of white shoes that looks good and classy, not just like a cheap sneaker.

Willing to spend 200-300...more if I like it. Don't want loafers. I have a very hard time describing what I want. I guess a very modern and clean white sneaker?

My all time favourite sneaker is the german army sneaker:
diorhomme0-img600x450-1158085642zysyk_img600x450_1157991978dsc01570-4.jpg

The shoe in this particular photo is a Dior Homme version made around 2004-2006. It was priced around $500 if I remember correctly. I never bought these myself since I found them to be too expensive(though I bought a pair of Dior Homme jeans for $700 once :)), but you can usually find the original made for the german military in, how shall I say it "select stores"(stores that carry a set of brands hand picked by the owner) for $30-$40.

Blackhead

Redarse
Disgusting.

Yeah navy n brown is good, but I'm pretty sure I've been seeing black. It's not super jet black, I mean most black suits aren't really that black anyway, but it's black for sure. It's hit or miss for me, probably more miss. Really odd. Have yet to see any western dudes doing it though.
What's the reasoning behind this 'no black with brown' anyway? Maybe the guys in HK can pull it off because it goes well with their skin tone or it's monsoon season...

Eh, fuck the menswear rules.

giga

What's the reasoning behind this 'no black with brown' anyway? Maybe the guys in HK can pull it off because it goes well with their skin tone or it's monsoon season...

Eh, fuck the menswear rules.
Because it just doesn't look as good as black on black pants or brown on dark navy? "Menswear rules" are guidelines that are meant to make you look better. The point is to wear combinations that generally fit the best.

Just got me a pair of regular navy colored Jack Purcell shoes after I saw the white Comme des Garçons edition, and man these are so much better looking and a lot more comfortable than the Chuck Taylor's I always get.

I feel these are going to get back in style too :p

Currently sporting them with a dark blue Nudie Jeans and a checkered Lacoste Live! shirt for those who care :)

converse-jack-purcell-dyed-oxford-navy.jpg

Boken

Banned
Just got me a pair of regular navy colored Jack Purcell shoes after I saw the white Comme des Garçons edition, and man these are so much better looking and a lot more comfortable than the Chuck Taylor's I always get.

I feel these are going to get back in style too :p

Currently sporting them with a dark blue Nudie Jeans and a checkered Lacoste Live! shirt for those who care :)

converse-jack-purcell-dyed-oxford-navy.jpg

sounds hot post pics

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
After looking at some other examples, you're probably right about it being cordovan. Just want to make sure I've got the right info when I list 'em for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom