• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just made these, how do they look? I don't ever wear shorts so it feels weird. It was really hot out though.

Excuse the dirty mirror, it's my sister's room.

Is it also your sister's pants?

edit: And I think all shorts should be above the knee. Otherwise it's just short pants.

xJavonta

Banned
Is it also your sister's pants?

edit: And I think all shorts should be above the knee. Otherwise it's just short pants.
Lol no, my sister is five.

I just think shorts above the knee look like short shorts. Maybe ON the knee would be a good middleground.

I mean no offense at all believe me but with the backdrop of your sisters room and those capri pants it looks like they belong to your sister.

edit: beaten

None taken I could see how you got that lol

But no they're skinnies I had from a couple of years ago that are a little too skinny on my lower legs now.

Boken

Banned
Skinnies-cum-shorts definitely have to go above the knee or else theyll look very strange

2 inches (5cm) above at least

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I just think shorts above the knee look like short shorts. Maybe ON the knee would be a good middleground.

But no they're skinnies I had from a couple of years ago that are a little too skinny on my lower legs now.

I tend to pick up used pairs of skinnies in the spring exclusively for this purpose, that way I don't have to worry about cutting up my good jeans. Cheap Mondays are great for shorts because they're so elastic, and usually dirt cheap second hand -- the last few I bought were like $5 each in some pretty rad colors.

I think you'll be happier with them at or above the knee, yeah. Maybe cut them a little shorter, and leave enough material to roll once for the knee or twice for above so you can experiment with getting comfortable having them higher on the leg.

DominoKid

More miss than hit then. Sorry. I have quite a few friends who wear them as a symbol status, those cloths are expensive.
Girls on the other hand look (in my humble opinion) really good:

Trachten_Midi_Dirndl_Serena.jpg

451_3.jpg

dirndl_pink_heart_dsc_1287_1.jpg

yeah but they're hot. they'd look good in anything.

*drool* @ that first girl though...

LOCK

Just made these, how do they look? I don't ever wear shorts so it feels weird. It was really hot out though.

Excuse the dirty mirror, it's my sister's room.

I actually like them. I see potential. Nice that you made these yourself.

I like capris on men. Though the sports style is best.

Hieberrr

Bros, if you are looking for prescription glasses and sunglasses, Warby Parker has some good stuff. I just a pair of Sibley's for $120 (which is a huge saving for quality prescription glasses).

U.S. citizens can have 5 pairs shipped to them for free to try and then you just pick the ones you want to buy.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Banana Republic is having a one-day 35% sale today, although the email I got had a barcode I had to print out, so maybe it's only for subscribers to their mailing list.

LProtag

I think I need to worry more about getting in shape and getting less skinnyfat before worrying about all my clothes right now, which is a bummer to think about.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This should be the first point made in the next thread. Clothes don't mean anything if your body can't support it.

Pfft, what terrible advice. You should dress for the body you want. If you're fat and you want to be toned with a sixpack, then buy some Small t-shirts and will yourself into them. That's the formula for sartorial success.

But seriously, working out and getting in shape is one of the main drivers behind looking good in your clothes. I always see larger people wearing really baggy and airy clothes in an attempt to hide their size, but in reality it just makes you look disheveled and bland.

Pfft, what terrible advice. You should dress for the body you want. If you're fat and you want to be toned with a sixpack, then buy some Small t-shirts and will yourself into them. That's the formula for sartorial success.

But seriously, working out and getting in shape is one of the main drivers behind looking good in your clothes. I always see larger people wearing really baggy and airy clothes in an attempt to hide their size, but in reality it just makes you look disheveled and bland.

Have you ever seen a fat person in tight clothes?

giga

Where'd you get them?

Speaking of ae I keep putting off buying the kenilworth. It never gets sent to sales ;(
Ordered over the phone from a factory store. Find some close outlets near you and call them to ask for a list of factory seconds in your size: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/AjaxStoreLocatorDisplayView?storeId=1

These were the Brooks [Brothers] Strand. Only difference from the regular one is the sole is partially rubber instead of all leather, but the guy said they can still be recrafted if you want. Otherwise, everything else is the same and still manufactured by AE in Wisconsin. I couldn't pass up $159 (+shipping/tax) for AE.

Edit: The kenilworth was def. on sale when they sent me the list in my size (11.5D).

oV8O+

cool, might have to look into that.

by sale I meant their latest online sale. but at the same time, $295 isn't that cray for a pair of simple laceups. I should stop being so thrifty hah.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So what's the best way to break in leather shoes? As I am finnnnnnaly grabbing the Sperry's this weekend I know the horror stories of massive blisters. The web says soak them overnight then wear wet?

So what's the best way to break in leather shoes? As I am finnnnnnaly grabbing the Sperry's this weekend I know the horror stories of massive blisters. The web says soak them overnight then wear wet?

Best way to break them in is to wear them. If you are presoaking your shoes like unsanforized denim you are doing it wrong.

haha now I feel like an idiot. beautiful shoes, bud.

(wasn't trying to insinuate those pics were fake just thought you grabbed an example off the web)

adg1034

While we're on the topic of shoes, I seriously need to add to (read: start) my collection.

At work, basically anything goes, so I've been getting by with jeans, assorted sweaters, and my totally amazing Iron Rangers (not my picture):
With summer here, though, I need more. For work and for fun. I have:
  • one pair of Converse gray canvas Jack Purcells that haven't fit right since the second week I had 'em
  • one pair of New Balance sneakers I haven't worn in ages
  • one pair of decent, flat, tan sandals
  • one pair of decently nice brown oxfords, but with a bigger medallion than giga's Strands
  • one pair of shitty dark brown suede chukkas with the crepe sole coming off
And that's it.

Lately, normal workwear's been jeans/shorts (jeans: dark blue or tan; shorts: gray linen or dark blue with some fine striping), a logo tee or single-color polo (dark gray, light gray, and a wiiiiiiiide range of blues), and sandals/Converses.

Today's, for reference:
SuwegzV.jpg

As far as wardrobe goes, lightweight colored gingham button-up shirts are in the works, but I really need some new shoes. I saw Deadly Cyclone's saga over the last few pages, but those Sperrys aren't really doing it for me.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom