• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys wash your dress shirts?

I mostly dry clean mine but I'm in a pinch and need one for tonight and it desperately needs a wash. Could I just throw it in the washer/dryer and then iron/starch the hell out of it? Or is that a bad idea?

I figure I'll ask here for a friend. He lifts (like bodybuilding) and had some big ol thighs. What are some good stylish jeans for him. I was trying to think of some but I'm usually in the slim fit area so I'm at a loss.
There's probably a Levi's fit for him but I can't think of the number off the top of my head. He could maybe fit into some Naked & Famous Weird Guys but he might have to size up.

The unfortunate truth is that slim denim just isn't made for men with larger legs. There's probably something for him out there, but it's probably going to fit awkwardly considering the taper from his thighs to his feet is going to be huge.

The most important part of washing a shirt at home is the preparation. I remove all the buttons from my shirts so they do not become chipped or damaged while being handled. You really can't skip this IMO. I then take a couple of gallons of natural spring water, and heat it in in my copper drum. Copper is vital, as it will keep the water's temperature even throughout, which is necessary to avoid uneven shrinking.

I add my homemade detergent (fel-naptha, borax, washing soda, and a pinch of lavender) and stir, creating a nice lather. I then dip my shirt upside down in the water, careful to not agitate the fibers. Once fully submerged, I alternate a couple times between 5 minutes of gentle movement and 5 minutes of stillness. Once complete, I drain the water slowly into my organic herb garden, lift the shirt out, and let it hang in the crisp air. When slightly cold to the touch, I use any reserve spring water to iron the garment, and replace the buttons I had removed.

Pretty simple process once you do it a few times.

adg1034

The most important part of washing a shirt at home is the preparation. I remove all the buttons from my shirts so they do not become chipped or damaged while being handled. You really can't skip this IMO. I then take a couple of gallons of natural spring water, and heat it in in my copper drum. Copper is vital, as it will keep the water's temperature even throughout, which is necessary to avoid uneven shrinking.

I add my homemade detergent (fel-naptha, borax, washing soda, and a pinch of lavender) and stir, creating a nice lather. I then dip my shirt upside down in the water, careful to not agitate the fibers. Once fully submerged, I alternate a couple times between 5 minutes of gentle movement and 5 minutes of stillness. Once complete, I drain the water slowly into my organic herb garden, lift the shirt out, and let it hang in the crisp air. When slightly cold to the touch, I use any reserve spring water to iron the garment, and replace the buttons I had removed.

Mitt-Romney-Head-Nod.gif

Unicorn

I'm sure, somewhere, someone does this. Actually, it's more a somewhen - as in the Middle Ages.

Fucking Montana.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dilemma here. The Sperry's I'm getting are apparently NOT at the store in town, they are different. That'd be fine because I have Amazon Prime so I can do 1 day shipping for $5. Thing is, the color I originally picked is not shipping from Amazon, so I can't use prime.

However, the tan ones are eligible for Prime. Shold I just go that route? They both look nice. Tan will be lighter. Light sole.

TAN:
http://www.sperrytopsider.com/store...etails?productId=7-100210&stockNumber=0532002

giga

A little too busy for my tastes (would be better as a shirt pattern I think), but for $50 you might as well take a chance on it.

MAD-MEN-STYLE-RECAP.jpg

"Son, I'll teach you the meaning of busy."

No, but really, I thought so too at first, but it works so well with navy pants. I couldn't pass it up.

Well, I ended up wearing something almost completely different from what I'd planned, so... all that fuss over nothing, hahaha.

Still was super underdressed :(

But on the bright side... I got a pair of Clarks Desert Boots in Beeswax today. Been wanting these for a while, but I was waiting for a price drop. Picked them up for $70 at Sears, down from $100. They feel weird. I don't think I've ever worn any shoe that goes above my ankle. But I like 'em.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I bought some navy blue pants. What color of dress shirt looks good with it? Got a white one but it may be too big. Also have silver, light blue, etc.

Also black or brown belt/shoes with navy pants?

robox

But on the bright side... I got a pair of Clarks Desert Boots in Beeswax today. Been wanting these for a while, but I was waiting for a price drop. Picked them up for $70 at Sears, down from $100. They feel weird. I don't think I've ever worn any shoe that goes above my ankle. But I like 'em.

are they actually desert boots? i fell into that trap before. the original desert boots have a soft gum sole and have msrp of 120. there's another version, call the bushacre; same upper but a harder rubber sole and they're a bit cheaper.

Aroo

Neo Member
How do you guys feel about Banana Republic non-iron tailored shirts?

I just recently had to decommission two of these shirts after 4.5 years. Spending all my money to move to California (plane tickets etc..) and got offered a job a the last minute. With the situation so bad in California I took it. Lost the move money and I could only afford two of those shirts and a pair of pants and wore these and only these to work for 3 months. (Washed them twice a week.)

I stained one recently with a pen I forgot didn't have the top on and the other got caught on a sharp edge and ripped right near the elbow.

By far, the best shirts I've owned, lasting me longer than another other shirt I bought since then. Loved the fit on them as well.

How do you guys feel about Banana Republic non-iron tailored shirts?

I just recently had to decommission two of these shirts after 4.5 years. Spending all my money to move to California (plane tickets etc..) and got offered a job a the last minute. With the situation so bad in California I took it. Lost the move money and I could only afford two of those shirts and a pair of pants and wore these and only these to work for 3 months. (Washed them twice a week.)

I stained one recently with a pen I forgot didn't have the top on and the other got caught on a sharp edge and ripped right near the elbow.

By far, the best shirts I've owned, lasting me longer than another other shirt I bought since then. Loved the fit on them as well.

Not a fan of most BR items because similar J Crew items have a better value and fit for me. However, I love the two non-iron slim BR shirts i have.

WAYWT: Pink pants edition with newest (and current favorite) pocket square.

I dig the outfit and fit, but in curious: do you get Regular or Short sportcoats? Mine drape a couple inches lower than yours.

link is busted

don't look as hulky in that jacket, you slimming down?
Yeah man, I'm slimming down slightly this summer. Think I'm about 5-6lbs lighter at the moment.

Everything but the pants is awesome. Pants are nice but look too tight bro.
Thanks, dude. The pants had just come out of the dryer so they were extra tight. I think normally they're just fine though.

Also, nice shades.

I dig the outfit and fit, but in curious: do you get Regular or Short sportcoats? Mine drape a couple inches lower than yours.
Regular, the one I'm wearing is a 40R. I like my coats a bit on the shorter (and slimmer) side because they tend to work better with what I wear. I have a more traditionally cut suit that's a 42L though.

are they actually desert boots? i fell into that trap before. the original desert boots have a soft gum sole and have msrp of 120. there's another version, call the bushacre; same upper but a harder rubber sole and they're a bit cheaper.

Bushacre. They look exactly the same though. And very comfortable. I don't mind so much... but now I want the originals too.

Do your clothes ever feel uncomfortable that tight or is it fine?
I have one pair of jeans that are pretty uncomfortable to wear now that I put on weight. Other than that, everything is fine considering they're generally lightweight materials.

Nothing (outside of the jeans) feels abnormally tight though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Any tips on the blue pants thing? Black or brown shoes/belt? What color shirt should I try?

I have a dark purple but those together are not something in used to. Don't know if itd be too much for the office.

Deeku

white shirt, black belt black shoes
light blue, brown belt brown shoes or black belt black shoes.

that's the standard really

Any tips on the blue pants thing? Black or brown shoes/belt? What color shirt should I try?

I have a dark purple but those together are not something in used to. Don't know if itd be too much for the office.
I think brown looks way better with blue than black does. For that reason, I'd go with brown shoes/belt.

A crisp white shirt is a classic look that looks beautiful with blue. Outside of white, try looking into various shades of reds, greens and pinks. Honestly, blue is about as versatile as it gets. Just play around with stuff until you find something you like. That's the whole purpose of fashion anyway.

Thinking of making a mens grooming OT for all misc needs.
The MiDNiGHTS guide on how to shower, shave, and be a man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom