• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neolith

not sure if this is really a fashion inquiry, but does anyone know the best place to find nice white shirts (like an undershirt for work)?

just wear a v neck if you have to.

Where do you go/ what do you buy to fix leather shoes? Fix as in; I got some that have "lightened" around the toes and the right edge thanks to scuffing..hoping it's possible to darken them back to their original shade.

giga

Those of you who don't wear undershirts must not sweat. No way I'd be caught without one in this warm weather. And I'm not going to put aluminum on my skin.

Picked these up. Love their look.

8759440500_0a1c2a1c24_z.jpg

Yeah whether or not to wear an undershirt really depends on how much/how likely you are to sweat.

A little extra fabric is better than sweating through your dress shirt.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I need to start wearing undershirts since I sweat a lot, but I can't bear wearing an extra layer when the weather is so hot.

As far as buttoning jackets/vests, the rule is to always leave the bottom button unbuttoned. Otherwise the jacket/vest will contort weirdly when you move around. Also always unbutton your jacket when sitting down.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think brown looks way better with blue than black does. For that reason, I'd go with brown shoes/belt.

A crisp white shirt is a classic look that looks beautiful with blue. Outside of white, try looking into various shades of reds, greens and pinks. Honestly, blue is about as versatile as it gets. Just play around with stuff until you find something you like. That's the whole purpose of fashion .

To note, I said navy earlier but they are actually a bit brighter. I think the reason I was having a hard time is that they are a similar color to doctors' scrubs.

Like this color:

I put my dark purple shirt with it and it looked very odd to me same with my light blue shirt. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

To note, I said navy earlier but they are actually a bit brighter. I think the reason I was having a hard time is that they are a similar color to doctors' scrubs.

Like this color:

I put my dark purple shirt with it and it looked very odd to me same with my light blue shirt. Maybe I just need to get used to it.
You're over-thinking it, man. If dark purple blends into the pants too much, don't wear it. My recommendations still stand, any of the colors (particularly brown) will look great with that color. Hell, those pants, brown shoes, brown belt, crisp white oxford (#tucked of course), two buttons undone, rolled sleeves, DONE.

Sometimes you just need to put things on and walk out the door. See how you feel later in the day. You might hate it. It might be your new favorite outfit. You never know until you try and there's no amount of ManshionGAF advice that can replace that or figure that out for you.

Sometimes I feel like DC doesn't actually like this stuff but just wants to wear nice clothes because society says so. If you can't lose yourself in it then don't force it.

Maybe we all have those feelings.

Boken

Banned
Maybe its about the perceptions of societal demands intoxicating our self image causing the self to misinterpret the inner desires to be beautiful. I'd argue that the double layer of interpretation lends itself to exposition of the kind that truly allows us to express ourselves uniquely through extraneous memorabilia leaving a permanent mark of our perception and desires at that particular point in time. So what it really means is that even through the lens of society we can create a uniquely personal and wonderful image.

Maybe its just me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sometimes I feel like DC doesn't actually like this stuff but just wants to wear nice clothes because society says so. If you can't lose yourself in it then don't force it.

Maybe we all have those feelings.

Ha, well there is stuff I do and do not like. That's no question. I'm just used to wearing certain colors, so picturing myself in something that is totally different is hard to do. Especially when it comes to chinos and button ups, things that are a bit dressier. There's a lot of colors I've never even played around with, so to my eye it looks out of place on me, even it looks awesome on someone else. It's just a matter of finding what new stuff looks good to me and going with it.

You can tell my biggest issue has always been color matching, so that's where I ask you all for the most help. I do appreciate it too! I have my own style, sometimes I just like help in redefining it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Ha, well there is stuff I do and do not like. That's no question. I'm just used to wearing certain colors, so picturing myself in something that is totally different is hard to do. Especially when it comes to chinos and button ups, things that are a bit dressier. There's a lot of colors I've never even played around with, so to my eye it looks out of place on me, even it looks awesome on someone else. It's just a matter of finding what new stuff looks good to me and going with it.

You can tell my biggest issue has always been color matching, so that's where I ask you all for the most help. I do appreciate it too! I have my own style, sometimes I just like help in redefining it.

Step out of your comfort zone and start wearing flashier colors. Ever since I bought a pair of bright red chinos I've never looked back, and now I love tossing on an orange polo or green shorts whenever I can. You just have to take that one step into color and then all of a sudden wearing other colors no longer seems quite as daunting.

Boken

Banned
I usually wear shorter shirts, but I didn't think it mattered that much that night.

I'll take note on the shoes though, although they're nice shoes right?

I know. :'(

theyre alright. I personally find them a little long and pointy

I don't think this is true at all. Unless you don't wash after every wear.

I did a little Google research and it turns out that it seems to vary be region and country on whether undershirts are appropriate. I guess I wrongfully assumed that guys always wear undershirts under dress shirts to absorb body funk and to undermine the nipple factor. The more you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom