• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
jcz1eMKnOR7US.png

Ryan Lochte is stupid yea yea, but what color pants go with this shirt tie combo?

I think I would have to be an excellent rollerskater to even consider it. I would be crushed if I were skating around in my $900 skates and $5000 leather pants only to fall and rip something.

Also, they don't even look like great roller skates. Just the high tops with wheels on the bottom.

Oh, and the denim jacket is officially returned. I took some pictures of me wearing it though, which I'll probably get around to posting eventually. Still have the t-shirt, but might return that as well. I only got it to wear with the jacket, after all.

f0rk

It looks like you tucked the shirt in and then tried to untuck cos you were so mad but didn't quite get there
It is probably the jeans are too low rise

Xun

It looks like you tucked the shirt in and then tried to untuck cos you were so mad but didn't quite get there
It is probably the jeans are too low rise
I think the phone distorted the image as well.

My jeans do look lower than they are.

giga

Tucking with jeans is always tricky. I always feel like a cowboy or something when I tuck shirts into them.

Otherwise, tuck4lyfe. #comeatme

Lunchbox

Banned
Tuck. Definitely.

Shut your mouth, Lunchbox.

bro go shove your corduroy cardigans

only time i tuck is when im forced to in the office. but when i was pulling out my tucked ralph lauren from my pants walking towards my car during lunch all the slampieces started taking extra bites and chewing a little faster. women love it untucked

skynidas

Banned
bro go shove your corduroy cardigans

only time i tuck is when im forced to in the office. but when i was pulling out my tucked ralph lauren from my pants walking towards my car during lunch all the slampieces started taking extra bites and chewing a little faster. women love it untucked

gwVLi.gif

No, it's not you, I think it's a mix of the pants being too low and the shirt not fitting well enough, also as other have said already, pulling off jeans with a tucked shirt is kind of hard.

Suits

What should I be looking for when choosing a good suit off the rack? Is fit the only thing that matters? Apparently it needs to be tailored to fit anyway, so I don't need to be too picky, do I?

giga

I don't agree that tucked is hard to pull off. Maybe if you're overweight it could look off, but otherwise it's a pretty standard look if you're wearing slacks or chinos.

Lunchbox

Banned
As an overweight individual I can assure you it looks off.
I'm 135 and unless the shirt is super slim like some cks they are all puffy on the back and sides. and super slim fits are uncomfortable for 9-5 workdays in a fucking desk

tuck is ugly, awkward and uncomfortable

giga

I'm 135 and unless the shirt is super slim like some cks they are all puffy on the back and sides. and super slim fits are uncomfortable for 9-5 workdays in a fucking desk

tuck is ugly, awkward and uncomfortable
135...lbs? How tall?

Bb and ct slim shirts aren't uncomfortable.

Suits

What should I be looking for when choosing a good suit off the rack? Is fit the only thing that matters? Apparently it needs to be tailored to fit anyway, so I don't need to be too picky, do I?
well first, don't assume you can just chop any ol suit down to fit you. It's gotta fit in the shoulders, bare minimum. You can't compromise here at all unless you are willing to spend $80+ to cut it down and have it probably (more like 90% of the time) look like shit.

Fit is most important. You can readily adjust the following, though:

Waist (a couple inches in, maybe the same amount out depending on how they're finished)
Sleeve (very easy to shorten assuming they aren't functional buttons on the sleeve, and if they are and don't fit exactly the way you want, I'd skip)
Shorten pants length
Pants taper (an inch or so if necessary)
Lower chest (a couple inches max)

That said, each of these can run anywhere from $10-$30, so you gotta take that into consideration when buying. So you see, the closer you get to the desired fit from the start, the better off you are. Construction quality is nice when it's there, but I wouldn't make it your number one priority. Most stuff under $800 or so at retail is going to be fused and not half or fully canvassed. If you don't know what that is don't worry about it too much. Canvassing is nice when you get it, but if you put a canvassed suit that didn't fit next to a fused that did, I'd go with fused.

Fabric, eh, try to keep it as much natural as possible if this is your first suit; wool. A little stretch fiber isn't gonna hurt. Avoid stuff that's super shiny etc.

Color. Navy, Grey, or black I guess(cuz giga will yell at me :p) Notched lapel two button is safest, one button if you're a groovy dude, peak if you're a shark.

So, take all this together, figure out how much you want to spend, and go forth.

Alucrid

Banned
Not as simple as I thought, good thing I asked. Thanks yo

What makes sleeve buttons functional or not?

What's notched lapel, one button and peaked?

they're functional if you can button and unbutton then as opposed to just stitched on.

one, two and three button suits refer to the number of buttons on the suit body.

just google for pics of the notch and peak lapels

Not as simple as I thought, good thing I asked. Thanks yo

What makes sleeve buttons functional or not?

What's notched lapel, one button and peaked?
functional sleeves are also called surgeon cuffs and look like this:

surgeons_cuffs.jpg

(these are called stacked buttons, if you cared to know)

They are kinda nifty (in a totally pointless way) but for some reason the world has a huge boner about them lately so a lot of suits at retail will feature them. This is not so good because let's say the suit fits you everywhere, perfectly, save the sleeve which is two inches long. Since the buttons are cut open you can't just move them up and shorten the sleeve, since you'll have buttonholes at the very bottom of your sleeve (which looks like doodoo). You can maybe pull up the sleeve from the shoulder but a) It will cost at a minimum $80 and b) can look like shit. So you are kinda stuck in a Catch-22. Make sense?

These aren't super common and a lot of high end labels are smart enough to not finish the sleeve buttons but it is something to watch for.

Lapels:

Kjd87VA.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I had an eye appointment today and decided to renew my contacts (stopped wearing them a few years ago). I also plan to order some new frames from Warby Parker.

Thoughts without glasses? It looks weird as hell to me right now because it's been a while and I've lost weight. When I get the frames in (try on 5 pair in-home) I'll post them up.

I feel glass make my forehead look smaller.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I guess I'll order some frames to try on at home and see what looks good. Hmm, shall I go with a few black, a clear, and something else? What styles to choose...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Try some of Warby's tortoise or wood patterns, DC. I think either could work on you. Your features are too light for clear frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom