• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
The 50 Douchiest Clothing Items Of All Time | Four Pins
Jake Woolf said:
Ah yes, the mythical douchebag. Once an easily defined species, the douchebag has evolved throughout time and space to now represents a multitude of shapes, sizes, behaviors and, of course, wardrobes. The epic rise of the Internet has only exacerbated this fact—the enormous influx of information shared has made the douchebag more clever than ever before. As this sect of assholes matured, so did their clothing choices. Items once regarded as classic staples have been unprecedentedly co-opted and bastardized, becoming symbols synonymous with ostentatious tackiness right before our very eyes. And that's exactly why we've outlined the 50 most recognizable garments in the history of douchedom, so that you are better equipped to identify, avoid and, ultimately, protect yourself against their socially corrosive ways. Godspeed.

First item on the list:
Big Logo Polos

JfXqGV1.jpg

Do you have a favorite polo brand? Well, how the fuck is anyone going to know what it even is unless the logo is AT LEAST 4 inches tall and 3 inches wide? Now everyone will FINALLY stop asking you where your totally awesome shirt is from!

Be sure to skim the comments...

3/50, not too bad on the douchey scale I think*. Not sure what is douchey about a 'high fashion moto jacket', exactly. it's like saying nice jeans are douchey because you aren't working in them.

*Douche crimes: aviators, selvedge, and designer sneakers.

A lot of that stuff is shit. But aviators? Pocket squares? Raw selvedge? Come the fuck on.

Yeah, those and suspenders took me back a bit. It seems to me the author had an axe to grind rather than an objective look at style. If anything, Aviators are more muted now than say, Wayfarer-styles which currently come off as more pretentious.

kagete

raw denim
wife beaters
cargo shorts
aviators (though mine are prescription)

I agree that it's a bad list and quite inconsistent. They hate on raw AND pre-distressed jeans which are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Blackhead

Redarse
2/50 for me: Expensive Underwear, Carabiner Keychains

Technically it could be 4/50 but I only wear 5 Panel Hats when it's raining and I have one Giant Scarf that I never wear.

A lot of that stuff is shit. But aviators? Pocket squares? Raw selvedge? Come the fuck on.

The top comment:
ustotuneZz said:
Turns out you need to be naked to not be a douche

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That article is pretty hit and miss. Aviators and pockets squares aren't really douchey when worn properly. Some of the other stuff is pretty cringeworthy though.

Pocks

0/50 for me

... but I don't have a problem with bowties, aviators, deep v's, espadrilles*, raw selvage, carabiners, and varsity jackets.

Espadrilles
Mewlery
Fitted Hats (though it says with all stickers left on, I only kept the mlb sticker on the underside of the bill)
Pocket Squares
Wifebeaters (though i don't see what the issue is when wearing it under a button up). i assume the author means wearing like a wifebeater and jeans and going out to run errands or something.
Tank tops
Varsity Jackets
Sports Jerseys

8/50

sorry guys :(

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
5/50

Bowties
Suspenders
Loud pants
Giant scarves
Tank tops

The problem with such droll articles is that the author sweepingly hates so many things I literally cannot imagine him/her wearing anything other than a pair of Wranglers and a blue Hanes crew neck t-shirt. If literally all of these articles of clothing are such an annoyance at all times, then you are likely a very boring, angry person.

Fritz

<-

manpris
cargo shorts
coloured laces
meggings, though only for cold weather running/cycling

The manpris make it an instant 50/50. Sorry.

Myself. 1/50. Pocket squares. But frankly, my mother used to put a pocket square in my brest pocket on occasion ever since I was like 13. I'd never wear them as a fashion statement.

The Jonathan Saunders jacket came in today. It's very red, almost purple, and definitely much more flashy then what I normally wear. Not quite sure what to think about it. Also, I bought this cool black Neil Barrett v-neck on a whim today. 110 bucks on final sale! It's a steal

Lunchbox

Banned
i flipped my playstation 3d tv that i got from black friday for a 100 bucks for 160 today

so got this with the profit-

i went ck instead of tommy just because of you macuser. got 14 1/2 collar instead of the usual 15-15 1/2. ck slims are much better because they dont squeeze under the armpits so much but still gets rid of the side and back puff. the only back draw, no chest logo :( would it kill them to put a small ck on the left side? charge an extra 5 for it if you have to

ysvdZQd.png
UYNNQd5.png

Lamel

Banned
Father's day sale on J crew factory, extra 30% off online and free shipping.

Picked up some navy chinos and tees.

I've been wanting to get the slim fit oxford shirt from Uniqlo in blue and white for so fucking long now, but they are out of stock in small. FUCK!

Also anyone know of a good quality navy blazer under $100?

Nordstrom is doing their men's sale this week. 33% off a lot of good stuff. I picked up a beautiful navy Billy Reid blazer (currently being tailored) for almost half off yesterday.

I once heard a girl say she got with a guy because he had nice clothes.
It's more common than you think.

giga

I once heard a girl say she got with a guy because he had nice clothes.
If anything, nice clothes can give you a huge shot to your confidence. That alone can make the difference.

Oh jesus christ this just hit the top of my news feed. Is this real life?

W8Vi+

goodfella

Been thinking about getting this leather jacket, it would be my first time owning one.

Anyone have any tips for me? Just trying to plan out when I would actually wear this. Is it more of a winter item? In that case, how would you layer it up?

If anything, nice clothes can give you a huge shot to your confidence. That alone can make the difference.

Oh jesus christ this just hit the top of my news feed. Is this real life?

W8Vi+
tell her to get u necks

Been thinking about getting this leather jacket, it would be my first time owning one.

Anyone have any tips for me? Just trying to plan out when I would actually wear this. Is it more of a winter item? In that case, how would you layer it up?
you can wear that with pretty much anything, though I'd say the finish slants more casual than dressy. So, boots, jeans, tees, sweaters, casual pants, etc. Might be too warm in the summer but that's up to you.

Is there really something wrong with expensive underwear? I've gotten plenty of comments from woman when my pants come off based on Calvin Klein or Hugo Boss briefs.

I've never been a fan of expensive underwear simply cause I'd rather put the money towards other articles of clothing.

Also nice outfit, looking sharp.

Lamel

Banned
Btw looking for a red gingham shirt.

I tried out the one from uniqlo in size small, and although the chest and neck fit, the length seems a bit long and it billows in the back.

If I go to XS the billowing may improve, but then my neck and chest will be tight as shit.

So any suggestions on a slim fit red gingham shirt? Looking for less than $50.

Lunchbox

Banned
bought a dkny shirt for the first time

will be my last after returning it tomorrow. Worst fit ever, too much fluff on the shoulders, too tight under the arms, yet not slim enough in the midsection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom