• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nomura does it the wrong way
you can never have too many straps

zoUjF.jpg

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
SHO-SBJ_tall_front_16.jpg

What do you guys think of these?

Bonobos is having a Black Friday sale so they'd be $15 off, plus I have a Groupon I bought a while back that I'd be able to use that essentially make them another 50% off.

Zekes!

SHO-SBJ_tall_front_16.jpg

What do you guys think of these?

Bonobos is having a Black Friday sale so they'd be $15 off, plus I have a Groupon I bought a while back that I'd be able to use that essentially make them another 50% off.

I have it's brother, the Dockside Lighthouse boot, in a dark red colour; they're seriously awesome. Get 'em.

Edit:

ilnuvmf8uwttB.jpg

TxdoHawk

Pretty lame Black Friday for men's fashion, IMO. I was hoping LEC would put a bunch more stuff on sale, but it's just the same late fall stuff that has been in the sale section for weeks and weeks now. Zara has a sale but all the men's stuff that's been slashed is fugly, and even those discounts are tepid at best. Nothing at Warby Parker. GAP sale stuff, even with the additional 20% off, isn't much lower than the last big sale they had.

I'm trying to save money, so I shouldn't complain, but man did they make it easy this year.

The only thing on my radar at the moment: LivingSocial will supposedly be offering some kind of Bonobos deal on Cyber Monday, and on top of that Bonobos will probably have their own deal. Those two combined may make their new denim too tough to resist.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
High top moccasins? Kind of weird looking Imo.

Moccasins? I'm pretty sure these are supposed to be styled after boat shoes...I thought moccasins don't have laces, and are made out of softer materials?

I'm sure I'm shorter than you, and I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Conventional menswear wisdom says that a belt cuts you in half and disrupts the line of height so if you're of shorter stature, you'd benefit a lore more from not wearing a belt. I'm not sure this is always the case though, cause I feel like that shit doesn't hold up that much for everybody. I just think belts are way too fussy and plus pants with side-adjusters have a custom feel to them.

B-Ri

What do you guys think of rings? I've been wearing rings since 10th grade, my one ring I've had since then I lost (fuckkkkk) and the other I gave to my ex when we got together over 3 years ago (he kept it, oh wellllll)

I need a new ring!

Draft

Moccasins? I'm pretty sure these are supposed to be styled after boat shoes...I thought moccasins don't have laces, and are made out of softer materials?
You're probably right. In either case, something about the flat toe combined with the high ankle/boot type look seems weird.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Well damn, the shoes I posted above are sold out in my size : (

Anyone have recommendations for a similar pair? Bonus points for being on sale for Black Friday. Just looking for a general, all-purpose pair for fall/winter that I can dress up or down.

_Isaac

Conventional menswear wisdom says that a belt cuts you in half and disrupts the line of height so if you're of shorter stature, you'd benefit a lore more from not wearing a belt. I'm not sure this is always the case though, cause I feel like that shit doesn't hold up that much for everybody. I just think belts are way too fussy and plus pants with side-adjusters have a custom feel to them.

That's interesting I've never heard that before about the belts. You'd think the pants themselves would also cut you in half.

ianp622

But different people have different leg-torso proportions. I would think someone with long legs would benefit from the belt. Personally I just think it looks out of place to not have a belt.

That's interesting I've never heard that before about the belts. You'd think the pants themselves would also cut you in half.

It's because it's just a random piece of different material running horizontally while everything else is running vertically.

But different people have different leg-torso proportions. I would think someone with long legs would benefit from the belt. Personally I just think it looks out of place to not have a belt.

Definitely! But it only looks out of place if the pants still have belt loops though. Well, at least to me

Alucrid

Banned
It's because it's just a random piece of different material running horizontally while everything else is running vertically.

Definitely! But it only looks out of place if the pants still have belt loops though. Well, at least to me

Very true, but I'd definitely say that it only applies to dress pants though.

Pretty lame Black Friday for men's fashion, IMO. I was hoping LEC would put a bunch more stuff on sale, but it's just the same late fall stuff that has been in the sale section for weeks and weeks now. Zara has a sale but all the men's stuff that's been slashed is fugly, and even those discounts are tepid at best. Nothing at Warby Parker. GAP sale stuff, even with the additional 20% off, isn't much lower than the last big sale they had.

I'm trying to save money, so I shouldn't complain, but man did they make it easy this year.

The only thing on my radar at the moment: LivingSocial will supposedly be offering some kind of Bonobos deal on Cyber Monday, and on top of that Bonobos will probably have their own deal. Those two combined may make their new denim too tough to resist.

It was pretty good for me. Ended up saving a couple hundred dollars on some clothes I got.

yoox is having some good prices on shit right now. Got some marc jacobs 'aeronatical' pants for $85, beats $500 or whatever.

in other fashion news, I will have some size 29-ish pants available shortly, as my wife decided to wash my margiela casual pants with a load of other laundry. fml.

Alucrid

Banned
yoox is having some good prices on shit right now. Got some marc jacobs 'aeronatical' pants for $85, beats $500 or whatever.

in other fashion news, I will have some size 29-ish pants available shortly, as my wife decided to wash my margiela casual pants with a load of other laundry. fml.

Haven't you post about your wife doing the same thing? Time to do your own laundry :p

Vhalyar

I'm about to order a jacket online but I'm not sure which size to pick, which leads to this possibly stupid question: where do I measure myself to figure out the size? The site says "S(36), M(38), L(40), XL(42)".

Since it's going to be an import I can't really return it without getting kicked in the ass by extra fees so I want to get it right on the first go. Also not familiar with US sizes.

Draft

I'm about to order a jacket online but I'm not sure which size to pick, which leads to this possibly stupid question: where do I measure myself to figure out the size? The site says "S(36), M(38), L(40), XL(42)".

Since it's going to be an import I can't really return it without getting kicked in the ass by extra fees so I want to get it right on the first go. Also not familiar with US sizes.
Those are chest measurements, in inches. the site probably has instructions for measuring yourself.

entremet

Very true, but I'd definitely say that it only applies to dress pants though.

It was pretty good for me. Ended up saving a couple hundred dollars on some clothes I got.

What did you get? I already got a blazer and desert boots before BF. Plus, I'm not a big online shopper for clothing. I like to try out my clothing, especially due to vanity sizing and inconsistent sizing from brand to brand.

Vhalyar

Those are chest measurements, in inches. the site probably has instructions for measuring yourself.
I know it's in inches, but the site doesn't give anything beyond the S/M/L/XL correspondence. Guess I'll just check with customer support.

Not to be a dick but if you have to ask you are gonna get it wrong, and with no real return option? Don't do it.

But it's such a nice jacket :<
I guess I can wait until my next trip to the USA, but winter will be over by then.

Oh I thought this was about a blazer on some auction site/etc. With a casual jacket just get your regular US size, but eh, I probably wouldn't go to the trouble of importing a Levis jacket.

Alucrid

Banned
What did you get? I already got a blazer and desert boots before BF. Plus, I'm not a big online shopper for clothing. I like to try out my clothing, especially due to vanity sizing and inconsistent sizing from brand to brand.

Just a few shirts. I'll upload some pics when I get them later this week. Damn, I can't believe that today is only Sunday. Holiday weekend really screwed me up.

it's an alright jacket imo. reminds me of something someone in an old western movie would wear

Yeah. Seems a bit...middle aged man-ish?

B-Ri

My question got lost in the fray! ahhh

What do you guys think of jewelry? Rings? Watches? Necklaces? Bracelets?

I am a ring guy, and I lost my only two rings, im looking to get a new one, wondering if anyones got suggestions/tastes reguarding the subject

dudeworld

I am a ring guy, and I lost my only two rings, im looking to get a new one, wondering if anyones got suggestions/tastes reguarding the subject

I wear a simple silver bracelet and plan on getting a silver ring. I like silver

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.

Just don't go overboard. Beaded bracelets are in right now, I have a few that I alternate. As long as your jewelry isn't gigantic or gaudy you should be fine.

here's my wrist atm

tumblr_lpipq9H8He1qg35s9o1_500.png

Alucrid

Banned
I don't do it just because jewelry just throws me off. If I wear a ring or bracelet I feel off kilter, so usually I just have a hair tie around my wrist.

Acid08

Banned
Bought myself a nice classy coat over the weekend, it looks fucking good with a scarf. Amazing how much more confident you feel when you dress well.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

I've never worn anything on my hands or wrists, not even a watch, until recently when I picked up this metal feather bracelet. It's loose and light enough that it doesn't bug me too much, but it doesn't seem likely that I'll start wearing stuff there frequently. The two animal necklaces are my go-to items if I'm in the mood. Etsy and thrift stores are great for finding interesting jewelry that's both cheap and unique.

IMG_2922.jpg

Found this nice N.Hoolywood shirt while thrifting today. Love the collar and only $10! Their shirts seem to usually be $150+ online.

IMG_2920.jpg

chepu

Hey GAF Need some help, I Recently Lost around 45pounds (20Kg) so now all my wardrobe is pretty much useless (went from Size 40 pants to size 34) and from XL~XXL to M~L.

besides that I actually have ZERO style or fashion knowledge, so id like to build a new wardrobe, and know what and how to wear it.

Im around 1.80 Mts (5'10"), have dark brown hair and my skin color is brown (more like light/tan brown)

Point to the case, is there a guide or something to read that can guide me on what to wear?

Thanks in advance

Draft

Hey GAF Need some help, I Recently Lost around 45pounds (20Kg) so now all my wardrobe is pretty much useless (went from Size 40 pants to size 34) and from XL~XXL to M~L.

besides that I actually have ZERO style or fashion knowledge, so id like to build a new wardrobe, and know what and how to wear it.

Im around 1.80 Mts (5'10"), have dark brown hair and my skin color is brown (more like light/tan brown)

Point to the case, is there a guide or something to read that can guide me on what to wear?

Thanks in advance
http://putthison.com/post/712103418/the-essential-mans-wardrobe-perhaps-the-most

Guys should your jacket sleeve end before your wrist or at your wrist? I'm 6'2" and I get encouraged to buy 40L jackets but sometimes I feel like there's too much cloth. Any thoughts? Ill try to post a pic of me in a 40L jacket in a bit.

woodchuck

Guys should your jacket sleeve end before your wrist or at your wrist? I'm 6'2" and I get encouraged to buy 40L jackets but sometimes I feel like there's too much cloth. Any thoughts? Ill try to post a pic of me in a 40L jacket in a bit.

I like to show about a half inch of my shirt sleeve so I guess the jacket sleeve ends a half inch before my wrist.

Alucrid

Banned

Tailor it if it's not to your liking.

I have my shirt sleeves end at the wrist-base-of-the-thumb area, and the jacket about where the wristbone is; so roughly 1/2 inch showing.

My friend is the same height and looks perfect in Caruso 42R's, fwiw. Salespeople tend to not know what looks best IMO.

TxdoHawk

Right on cue, LivingSocial is selling $50 of Bonobos credit for $25. If it's anything like with past deal site offers, it's treated as a gift certificate and therefore stackable with their coupons.

I didn't see anything in the current Terms of Service about referral links, so if you want to use mine, that would be kind of cool. If not, here's the normal link with no referral.

I should also mention that as with normal deal sites, they don't seem to give you the credit same-day (so you won't have the credit to spend on today's Cyber Monday sale over there.)

Bought these boots today after trying on a few pairs, opinions? My first pair of grown up footwear (usually just wear Adidas sneakers) so be gentle!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/wolverine-1000-mile-boot/3199403?origin=category&resultback=2541

People love these, so you made the right choice IMO. Depending on how much you spent, you might've also considered Aldens, but I think these look great.

Ok so Brown boots, Black Jeans what color top should I go for? I bought them on a whim and I usually stick to dark blue jeans. White T is a given but anything else? Im was thinking purple like this but the damn things sold out and I dont have a chance to get into town to look in the shops :/
image1xl.jpg

Seems insanely hard to find nice plain t shirts withought stuff plastered all over them.

Tenks

Ok so Brown boots, Black Jeans what color top should I go for? I bought them on a whim and I usually stick to dark blue jeans. White T is a given but anything else? Im was thinking purple like this but the damn things sold out and I dont have a chance to get into town to look in the shops :/
image1xl.jpg

Seems insanely hard to find nice plain t shirts withought stuff plastered all over them.

Why not buy from American Apparel?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
H&M & Old Navy seem to have the colored tee game on lock. Everybody else is afraid to go below $10 unless it's a sale. Once the dust has settled from Christmas shopping, I'll probably hit them up for layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom